Ravensmash

Oct 25, 2017
I've seen this feature quite prominently on the news here in the UK - absolutely awful.

I still don't understand why the knee was necessary if he was handcuffed?! That alone should indicate that something very very wrong transpired during the arrest.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm furious and saddened at the thought of if he had tried fighting for air, for his life, he'd have been shot.

Something HAS GOT TO BE DONE!

F34R

Oct 27, 2017
Message from the South Carolina Police Officers Association:
Statement on behalf of the South Carolina Law Enforcement Officers' Association:

When something is right, defend it with all you have. When something is wrong, condemn it equally. Cases like George Floyd must not only be condemned by the community but also by law enforcement leadership. While a full investigation will occur, there is no law enforcement training that teaches officers to kneel on a controlled suspects neck for minutes on end. Police officers should be held to the highest standard and the many diverse officers I know across South Carolina want it no other way. Law enforcement is a noble profession tarnished by a small percentage of officers who are not dedicated to upholding the oath they took to serve and protect their communities. We are better when police and the community they serve work together.

Ryan Alphin Executive Director
South Carolina Law Enforcement Officers' Association
South Carolina Police Chiefs' Association
4921 Broad River Road, Suite A
Columbia, South Carolina 29212
(C) (803) 312-5223

Deleted member 41502

User requested account closure
Banned
Mar 28, 2018
Just need to rant, but it kinda sickens me to see the "Blue Lives Matter!" folks in my Facebook timeline suddenly talking about how important it is to speak up and battle racism. Like two weeks ago they were talking about how we should just let old people die because they're old, and today its "Add your voice, Christians, to the chorus of faithful people rising up to speak against racial injustice and violence ... and against anyone who treats any human life (regardless of race, ethnicity, gender, age, orientation, creed, or worldview) as anything less than sacred".

I guess I should be happy they're standing up against this? But also they don't actually give a fuck?

SecondNature

Oct 25, 2017
Guys can anyone share any resources/articles that helps critique/comment on the social justice issues at play here? Its for something im doing

Paquete_PT

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Just need to rant, but it kinda sickens me to see the "Blue Lives Matter!" folks in my Facebook timeline suddenly talking about how important it is to speak up and battle racism. Like two weeks ago they were talking about how we should just let old people die because they're old, and today its "Add your voice, Christians, to the chorus of faithful people rising up to speak against racial injustice and violence ... and against anyone who treats any human life (regardless of race, ethnicity, gender, age, orientation, creed, or worldview) as anything less than sacred".

I guess I should be happy they're standing up against this? But also they don't actually give a fuck?

People deserve to change and be better. One of these incidents will eventually be the definitive tipping point in america's history. I'm seeing this story with a strong social media presence where here in Portugal and I also have people from the right that have shared some racist remarks in the past being outraged by this and supporting black voices. I can only hope they don't forget this.

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017

Mob mentality and tribalism could at least work in our favor this time?

If they are onboard lets try to keep it that way this time

Its gross but we need the numbers. An ideological 50/50 split in this country is far more dangerous and will promote more violence

At the very least let people rally to the right side of the aisle in larger numbers even if you believe them to be lazy and disengenuous

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017

This (those people you describe, I mean) feels like literal virtue signalling, tbh. I hope I'm wrong

Oct 26, 2017
But feel free to go off for no reason and narrow in on a single item of my post for literally no bloody reason. Be my guest.

I went in on this point because I generally agree with the rest of your list. The Union one is the one that I think is most unrealistic and unlikely to change.

First off, are you seriously trying to equate anecdotal evidence of a single teacher's union to an entire slew of unions that rally around and protects murderers? WTF!!

And yes, you can dismantle an organization and rebuild something better in its place, as has been done successfully numerous times throughout human history on far grander scales than a worker's union, because the concept of unionization isn't inherently awful as you seem to suggest. "Unions are all full of evil political bullshit, so don't even try" is one of the shittiest of shitty takeaways, especially in this context.

I'm not equating them at all. I'm trying to make a larger point with these two examples that unions are always going to be corrupt and focus on protecting the employee, no matter the transgressions that they do (and this is something we've seen time and time again with police unions. How many times have we seen someone get put into a desk job for a week or so after they killed someone during duty?). Especially with people prioritizing one's ability to make a livelihood over the reality of their actions.

Also, you completely misinterpreted what I've said. My issue is the question what is going to be a better system than what we have? If a union's primary role is going to be protecting their employees from employers, then what makes you think that unions wouldn't revert back to the same bullshit of protecting the employee against serious charges like we see right now? What happens in human history doesn't guarantee that the same evolution will happen, otherwise, we wouldn't be in a racist and capitalistic society.

Powdered Egg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

They only see the 10/10 AAA racism and not their own. "I don't like Black people either but no one deserves what happened to Mr. Floyd" has probably crossed their minds.

Deleted member 11413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Racism is a spectrum. Plenty of racists can overlook systemic oppression but when faced with the shock and horror of watching a cop kill a black man slowly and painfully, even they have to see the truth.

They probably see this as an isolated incident and not the product of deeply racist institutions who do this to people all the time.

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017

EZIpCSbWsAcVP76