• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

M.Bluth

Oct 25, 2017
Seems okay to me. Nothing mindblowing, but certainly a good start.
I'm glad to see stuff like this becoming more prevalent and as more accessible option on PC.

There's no game I have that supports it, but my 1070 might survive a little longer while the GPU market returns from its current insanity.

Deleted member 93062

Account closed at user request
Banned
Mar 4, 2021
I mean, it is not a coincidence that they have only partnered with games that don't use DLSS at launch and the source code remains hidden for a whole month, because once the source code is available they can't avoid direct comparisons.
Or.... could it be that they partnered with games that they previously had marketing deals with and they can't partner with games with DLSS because those usually have Nvidia marketing deals.

Oct 28, 2017

KitGuru's video he does a comparison between Quality and 1440p Native, I timestamped it. I assume you can't select native 1662p for Ultra Quality comparison. You can easily tell that the FSR Quality is more aliased than 1440p. Albeit, definitely a bit softer. It's about 8.12% less FPS than 1440p but 49.42% more FPS than 4K. I would say it's pretty solid.

I'm looking at the timestamp right now, and yes I see more detail in the 1440p native image... In the performance metrics at 6 minutes, it says that FSR Quality averaged 107 FPS and 1440p native averaged 116 FPS.

So it's worse image quality than 1440p native, and it performs worse. Am I missing something here?

Deleted member 93062

Banned
Mar 4, 2021
I'm looking at the timestamp right now, and yes I see more detail in the 1440p native image... In the performance metrics at 6 minutes, it says that FSR Quality averaged 107 FPS and 1440p native averaged 116 FPS.

So it's worse image quality than 1440p native, and it performs worse. Am I missing something here?
If you run a native 1440p image on your 4K monitor, you're stuck with whatever basic upscaling method your monitor has which would probably look worse than Quality mode.

MrBob

Oct 25, 2017
Has any outlet done ultrawide tests?

I have a 3440 X 1440 Ultrawide Monitor with a 2080TI and play Anno 1800. Just loaded up the game and was able to select Super Resolution settings from the in game graphics options settings. Turned on Ultra Quality, got about a 30% FPS boost, no real hit to image quality as far as I can see. So I'll probably leave it on. Have more time to look at it closer this weekend.

Can't really speak to other games. Don't own them. Surprised the supported list is so low at the moment.

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017

FSR is outputting a 4K image.

LordRuyn

Oct 29, 2017
I have a 3440 X 1440 Ultrawide Monitor with a 2080Ti and play Anno 1800. Just loaded up the game and was able to select Super Resolution settings from the in graphics options. Turned on Ultra Quality, got about a 30% FPS boost, no real hit to image quality as far as I can see. So I'll probably leave it on.
That's good to hear. I have Anno as well but only a 1080Ti, I'll download it later to test it out.

Corralx

Aug 23, 2018
London, UK
And why hide the source code for a whole month?

They're not hiding it.
They were most likely not ready to release it and decided not to post-pone the initial set of game patches and news embargo for it.
Not sure how postponing the source release by a month makes any difference in any potential DLSS comparison?

Releasing open source code for big tech companies is an extremely cumbersome process that can take months (they are really scared of potential IP leaks or legal implications for licensing).
You need to go multiple layers of technical reviews, approval and lawyers before you can actually publish something.
It's very likely they did not get the code in shape for the publishing process to start in time for day one.

Deleted member 10675

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Madrid
They're not hiding it.
They were most likely not ready to release it and decided not to post-pone the initial set of game patches and news embargo for it.
Not sure how postponing the source release by a month makes any difference in any potential DLSS comparison?

Releasing open source code for big tech companies is an extremely cumbersome process that can take months (they are really scared of potential IP leaks or legal implications for licensing).
You need to go multiple layers of technical reviews, approval and lawyers before you can actually publish something.
It's very likely they did not get the code in shape for the publishing process to start in time for day one.
How convenient for them.

Deleted member 93062

Banned
Mar 4, 2021
And why hide the source code for a whole month?
Any number of reasons like cleaning up code and improving documentation. Once it's open sourced, AMD won't be working directly with every single developer to help implement it. I don't think everything needs to have a nefarious reason for it. The DLSS comparisons will come eventually. And a surprise to almost no one, DLSS will probably be better. FSR will be available on a lot more GPUs and consoles though.

Arex

Oct 27, 2017
Indonesia
looks pretty good to me. If I don't have the native shot ready to switch in between I wouldn't really notice the image quality difference really.

Oct 28, 2017
If you run a native 1440p image on your 4K monitor, you're stuck with whatever basic upscaling method your monitor has which would probably look worse than Quality mode.
FSR is outputting a 4K image.

If you're hooked up to a half-decent TV, 1440p would look better then. Plus you have the option of upscaling to 4K through the video options, provided the engine supports it. Pretty common these days though.

Oct 26, 2017
I mean, it is not a coincidence that they have only partnered with games that don't use DLSS at launch and the source code remains hidden for a whole month, because once the source code is available they can't avoid direct comparisons.

What would be the point in that?

• The reviews for their cards are already out.
  • Every GPU that actually hits retail will sell out immediately regardless.
  • They enabled it on competitors' products anyway.

I love and believe in Nvidia's hardware approach. DLSS, Gsync and better RT are why I bought a 3080.

But AMD has no reason to obfuscate here, especially if comparisons are inevitable. They simply have a different take on how to solve the problem of higher resolutions. Everyone knows it's not going to go toe to toe with DLSS. It's not supposed to. It's supposed to be better than native res and/or lower resolutions by themselves. And at that, it succeeds.

JudgmentJay

Nov 14, 2017
Texas
Definitely better than expected after that first demonstration. I'm not sure I would ever turn it on in its current state though unless I was hurting very badly for performance (unlikely as I have a 3080 Ti).

Corralx

Aug 23, 2018
London, UK
How convenient for them.

You've already decided that this additional month is to intentionally hide the sources from Nvidia because this will give AMD a not yet specified benefit.
I don't think anything will tip the scale out of your confirmation bias.
I assume you're very familiar yourself with the processes of releasing proprietary code as open source for big tech companies, since you can infer with 100% certainty that it's done to hide something somehow, and no other explanation is possible.

Last edited:

Deleted member 93062

Banned
Mar 4, 2021
If you're hooked up to a half-decent TV, 1440p would look better then. Plus you have the option of upscaling to 4K through the video options, provided the engine supports it. Pretty common these days though.
So the solution to get away from FSR quality, remember that's Quality not Ultra. Is to upscale with a rather expensive TV (half decent TVs have shit upscale not to mention add more latency and monitors just stretch the image, the only good ones are going to be higher ends especially from Sony) or to rely on an inferior method of engine upscaling like TAA which performs a lot worse than FSR and struggles more in motion, like that video I sent showed.

Last edited:

Graven

Oct 30, 2018
I look foward to how FSR will improved over time, it's vanilla version, but it seems to be pretty decent so far.

Oct 25, 2017

FSR is upscaling to 4K from a 1440p image. Just like DLSS, there will be performance losses when comparing between playing at 1440p x 1440p upscaled to 4K using FSR. However it should offer a better image quality than 1440p without FSR.

Fafalada

Oct 27, 2017
How convenient for them.
It's not even a little convenient. Having lived this at a large company, I can 100% confirm what Corallx says here - 1 month might as well be 5 minutes in context of releasing internal software as OS - it's not even a meaningful amount of time given how complicated the process tends to be.

Also given DLSS has no sources available - the only comparisons that people 'can' make are entirely perceptual anyway. And last I checked, many(most?) people have already made up their minds about it before any of this was public.

Deleted member 10675

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Madrid
You've already decided that this additional month is to intentionally hide the sources from Nvidia because this will give AMD a not yet specified benefit.
I don't think anything will tip your scale out of your bias.
I assume you're very familiar yourself with the processes of releasing proprietary code as open source for big tech companies, since you can infer with 100% certainty that it's done to hide something somehow, and no other explanation is possible.
I haven't said that they are trying to hide the source code from NVIDIA.

I understand your take, but due to the fact that AMD hasn't give any explanation about why they are delaying the source code release, it is a no brainer for me. This is advertised as open source and multiplatform but nobody can implement it right now unless you sign a deal with AMD.

AMD has also a record of not complying with their open source promises in the LInux scope.

Last edited:

Cats

Oct 27, 2017
Hope this can come to VR. I regularly play at the equivalent of 5k and its brutal at times.

Pipyakas

Jul 20, 2018
So I guess this is targeting "4K gaming"? Doesn't look like an integrated or older GPU friendly option much more than simply lowering the resolution at the end. One can only hope this shows up in UE or Unity, or the source code is available for Reshade at some point

Oct 25, 2017

Corralx

Aug 23, 2018
London, UK
I haven't said that they are trying to hide the source code from NVIDIA.

I understand your take, but due to the fact that AMD hasn't give any explanation about why they are delaying the source code release, it is a no brainer for me. This is advertised as open source and multiplatform but nobody can implement it right now unless you sign a deal with AMD.

Not sure why they need to give an explanation?
And also, I still have no idea what difference this month will make in practice.
If you're making a game, getting access to it is as simple as contacting AMD. You don't need a full marketing deal to use FSR, just like you don't need a deal to use any other part of the FidelityFX library.
Even assuming for whatever reason you cannot do that, you only need to wait a month for it.
In the scope of the development of a game, a month is absolutely irrelevant?

If the delay was 6 months or a year, I'd agree something else might be at play.
But a month speaks to me as simply "we didn't get thing ready in time for day one".

Wouldn't be the visual trade-off be more perceptible with VR?

Sure but dropping frames and stutters are much worse than a softer image, and can actually cause sickness is especially sensitive people,
so if you're struggling to hit the required 90/120hz, it's probably a good compromise.

Oct 25, 2017
Not sure why they need to give an explanation?
And also, I still have no idea what difference this month will make in practice.
If you're making a game, getting access to it is as simple as contacting AMD. You don't need a full marketing deal to use FSR, just like you don't need a deal to use any other part of the FidelityFX library.
Even assuming for whatever reason you cannot do that, you only need to wait a month for it.
In the scope of the development of a game, a month is absolutely irrelevant?

If the delay was 6 months or a year, I'd agree something else might be at play.
But a month speaks to me as simply "we didn't get thing ready in time for day one".

Sure but dropping frames and stutters are much worse than a softer image, and can actually cause sickness is especially sensitive people,
so if you're struggling to hit the required 90/120hz, it's probably a good compromise.
I see. Make sense.

Fafalada

Oct 27, 2017
As I've said I'd put FSR UQ against DLSS2 Performance in IQ comparison. But this is definitely title dependent. Some games may actually look fine even with FSR Balanced.
I think what makes this 'potentially' interesting (we'll know once sources are out) is that as a spatial method it doesn't add temporal issues (especially at lower resolutions where all temporal solutions break-down), and it appears? to add AA of its own that is temporally stable?

Can't help but wonder how it'd perform stacked 'with' a temporal upscaler - let FSR stabilize the image, and temporal part add the extra samples for sharpness. Sure that'd be considerably more complex to integrate - but so is DLSS, or CB or any other more 'clever' approach.

Deleted member 10675

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Madrid
Well, TechPowerUp say they have requested to see the source code for the review and AMD has refused. So for the moment it looks like you need a deal.

Cats

Oct 27, 2017
Wouldn't be the visual trade-off be more perceptible with VR?
It shouldn't be too noticable in terms of the image degrading as VR is pretty soft anyways since you always run a non native resolution massively upscaled, it should be harder to see the flaws. The main worry is differences between each camera (eye) as that's really easy to notice in vr. Then you'll get visual flicker that your brain wont enjoy. Unitys post process AO is really bad for this in VR as an example, as one eyes angle will render the effect different from another causing the eyes to not see the same image and confuse the brain.

Oct 25, 2017
One interesting thing that wasn't much discussed is the ease of implementation. Linus Tech video says that a devs told them that it took 2 hours for them to implement FSR into their code. It was something Corralx alluded before. The fact it's open-source also means technically talented folks can contribute to making this tech better.

Oct 28, 2017
So the solution to get away from FSR quality, remember that's Quality not Ultra. Is to upscale with a rather expensive TV (half decent TVs have shit upscale not to mention add more latency and monitors just stretch the image, the only good ones are going to be higher ends especially from Sony) or to rely on an inferior method of engine upscaling like TAA which performs a lot worse than FSR and struggles more in motion, like that video I sent showed.

Temporal upsampling is not the same as normal engine upscaling.

Graven

Oct 30, 2018
One interesting thing that wasn't much discussed is the ease of implementation. Linus Tech video says that a devs told them that it took 2 hours for them to implement FSR into their code. It was something Corralx alluded before. The fact it's open-source also means technically talented folks can contribute to making this tech better.
This is something that has been on my mind lately.

As an open source, couldn't we see more more refinements from in-house devs using FSR as a groundwork? like some devs do with graphical engines and whatnot?

For the record i don't know anything about how this technology works, i'm asking as a very ignorant person on the subject.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

weird this works after anti-aliasing is applied. would have figured it's applied to the aliased image and then allow TAA to smooth out aliasing

This is something that has been on my mind lately.

As an open source, couldn't we see more more refinements from in-house devs using FSR as a groundwork? like some devs do with graphical engines and whatnot?

For the record i don't know anything about how this technology works, i'm asking as a very ignorant person on the subject.
yes, though devs seem deep into temporal solutions. maybe they can blend the two together

CatAssTrophy

Dec 4, 2017
Texas
I'd love to give this a spin on my 4700U laptop but there's not a whole lot of *recent* games that run decently on it (with low settings) for me to try it on.

Ketaya

Oct 25, 2017
Berlin
Among others AMD uploaded a video with Takeshi Aramaki from Luminous speaking about FSR in Forspoken.
He says the implementation took only a single day and that they are aiming to make Forspoken the best looking open world game ever released.
There is also a bit of new/extended gameplay in the video.

Rente

Oct 31, 2017
Cologne, Germany
I wonder if they can leverage some of the things of this 1.0 version if they opt to develop a version 2.0 (if it is planned at all at this point). From my point of view this is so bad for a first "attempt" that I doubt any developer would seriously consider it (especially if they are using UE4/UE5) - only if it would be part of a marketing deal with AMD maybe.

Alovon11

Jan 8, 2021
Even if the reason AMD recommends FSR be dev-implemented is due to the HUD, I do feel that FSR would work well as a Reshade filter as you can pass the order of effects somewhat decently in most games through Reshade itself (turn off film-grain in your game and add it back in as a Reshade filter if you really want that back. etc)

Also, it can sort of solve a question that I and some others that I've read have about why FSR is slotted after AA.

Honestly, I feel that a good load order for a "Reshade FSR" would be either
  1. FSR
  2. Deblur
  3. Sharpening and AA Effects (FXAA/SMAA/LumaSharpen)
  4. Graphical focused effects (as these are injected, therefore scale with resolution so using the higher-res output makes these better versus before FSR)
    • These would be AO, SSRTGI, Bumpmapping, Ambient Light. etc
  5. Color adjusting effects (Colorfulness, HDR.etc)
or
  1. Sharpening Specific Effects (Lumasharpen, CAS), this would be in an effort to clean up the base image first and under the assumption that potential oversharpen artifacts could be mitigated by the blurring done by FSR
  2. FSR
  3. Deblur
  4. AA Effects (FXAA/SMAA)
  5. Graphical focused effects (as these are injected, therefore scale with resolution so using the higher-res output makes these better versus before FSR)
    • These would be AO, SSRTGI, Bumpmapping, Ambient Light. etc
  6. Color adjusting effects (Colorfulness, HDR.etc)
And some games do have UI Adjustment Shaders (Example: Final Fantasy XIV, with a shader going at the top and end of the load over to remove the UI from being affected by the other shaders), but even then I do feel that most gamers would take a slightly different HUD in trade for better FPS where there is no real option for things like FSR/DLSS natively

Zexen

Oct 27, 2017
The TAAU example starting at 11:18 explains why almost no one will bother with this if they have another option unless they are sponsored by AMD. It's a night and day difference for about the same performance cost.
Yeah, for UE games, it's a no-brainer. Since the engine supports DLSS natively, UE games should propose DLSS for RTX cards, and TAAU for non RTX cards. For other engines, yes, it can be useful.

ABK281

Apr 5, 2018
It's not terrible, but the only way I could see my self utilizing it is using ultra quality at 4k. And that also depends on if the game in question doesn't already have a better alternative.