• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 93062

Account closed at user request
Banned
Mar 4, 2021
The TAAU example starting at 11:18 explains why almost no one will bother with this if they have another option unless they are sponsored by AMD. It's a night and day difference for about the same performance cost.
TAAU is only for UE games. TSR for UE5 is even better. HOWEVER... these solutions are not as performant as FSR. I found it very weird why DF only showed GPU utilization to hit 60FPS vs just unlocked FPS numbers. KitGuru did this same test

R1y4IaY.png

and found that FSR was slightly better than TAA in performance.

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
Godfall is just so overly sharpened when you look at the details.. I can't tell if FidelityFX is just blurry, or if it's reacting to the sharpness of GodFall and determining softening it would look better.

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
TAAU is only for UE games. TSR for UE5 is even better. HOWEVER... these solutions are not as performant as FSR. I found it very weird why DF only showed GPU utilization to hit 60FPS vs just unlocked FPS numbers. KitGuru did this same test

I think here though is that 3 fps is worth sacrificing for better image quality

SunBroDave

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017
Nice work on the analysis Dictator (as always). Given how prevalent it is becoming nowadays, at least for the bigger games, to include an option for some form of upscaling, it's disappointing that FSR (at least in its current iteration) appears to be inferior to these proprietary upscaling solutions. Then again, DLSS 1.0 had its shortcomings as well, so hopefully FSR continues to improve going forward.

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Seems like a good start. I think many here forget DLSS really only got good recently. This certainly has a good foundation and hopefully they keep improving it. More options for gaming is good!

Ada

Nov 28, 2017
That UE comparison really hit home the difference. Should have gone with a temporal solution.

Deleted member 93062

Banned
Mar 4, 2021
I think here though is that 3 fps is worth sacrificing for better image quality
I mean but that's also on a game to game basis, KitGuru mentions that in Godfall TAAU has noticeable artifacts that aren't present in FSR and that he would pick FSR. And like I mentioned, TAAU seems to be mostly UE4. Sure developers can implement their own version, but are they doing that? I think the biggest example of this would be like Cyberpunk. Sure they got their Nvidia money for DLSS... but that game could definitely have benefitted from a TAAU-like solution and they have the resources to do so, but they didn't. AMD having a solution and one that seems to be relatively easy to implement will lead to more games having some sort of upscaling option.

Meta

"This guy are sick"
Oct 29, 2017
I'd love to see comparisons of 4K FSR Ultra Quality vs. the native rendering resolution of 4K FSR Ultra Quality (2954 x 1662) scaled up to 4K.

If there's not much of an improvement in image quality, I'd much prefer the implementation of a shading rate / resolution scaler setting, something akin to what you'd find in RE2 Remake, Borderlands 3, or Dragon Age Inquisition.

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
My biggest problem with even something like DLSS, is that it makes RT look so noisy. At least, in Watch Dogs Legion and Cyberpunk, the quality of reflections (especially water reflections) just becomes so noisy regardless of the DLSS setting used.

That's at 1440p at monitor viewing distances, the situation changes greatly when you're playing on a big 4k TV 6 feet away, but the point still stands.

TSM

Oct 27, 2017

R1y4IaY.png

Slightly better in performance, but dramatically worse in image quality as the DF video showed.

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND

R1y4IaY.png

God fall does not have Temporal Upsampling at all? Where is this image from? The game does not even have a res slider.
I think what makes this 'potentially' interesting (we'll know once sources are out) is that as a spatial method it doesn't add temporal issues (especially at lower resolutions where all temporal solutions break-down), and it appears? to add AA of its own that is temporally stable?

Can't help but wonder how it'd perform stacked 'with' a temporal upscaler - let FSR stabilize the image, and temporal part add the extra samples for sharpness. Sure that'd be considerably more complex to integrate - but so is DLSS, or CB or any other more 'clever' approach.
FSR is not temporally stable.

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
I think what makes this 'potentially' interesting (we'll know once sources are out) is that as a spatial method it doesn't add temporal issues (especially at lower resolutions where all temporal solutions break-down), and it appears? to add AA of its own that is temporally stable?

Can't help but wonder how it'd perform stacked 'with' a temporal upscaler - let FSR stabilize the image, and temporal part add the extra samples for sharpness. Sure that'd be considerably more complex to integrate - but so is DLSS, or CB or any other more 'clever' approach.
It doesn't add temporal issues but these issues are still there since TAA is still there. DF's video show this pretty well in Godfall for example where there is a lot of ghosting with and without FSR.

As for it adding AA I very much doubt this. In fact I expect FSR to actually rely on game's AA heavily to properly reconstruct the higher resolution image, and the better this AA is - the better the reconsctruction will work. You can of course use something like SMAA here but saying that this is an advantage of FSR would be a stretch - we use SMAA for a decade now after all.

And yes I fully expect FSR 2.0 to go into temporal upscaling just like DLSS and most TAA solutions did.

Deleted member 93062

Banned
Mar 4, 2021
Slightly better in performance, but dramatically worse in image quality.
Also easier to implement, will be in AMD sponsored games, more accessible.... TAAU has existed in UE since 2018. The concept wasn't that new before then either, and how many games officially have a setting in game to enable it? Even in that image I sent, it seems like TAAU was forced AND it's a UE4 game. It's about finally making some form of upscaling a feature in more games going forward, something that hasn't caught on with TAAU even with UE4 games.

God fall does not have Temporal Upsampling at all? Where is this image from? The game does not even have a res slider.
FSR is not temporally stable.

joeblow

Oct 27, 2017
Laker Nation
Since this tech is open source, is it possible that someone out there can make it possible for it to work on unsupported cards (like my Radeon R9 390 w/8GB of VRAM)? Or is that something AMD has to implement, or maybe the developers of each individually supported game?

Corralx

Aug 23, 2018
London, UK
Since this tech is open source, is it possible that someone out there can make it possible for it to work on unsupported cards (like my Radeon R9 390 w/8GB of VRAM)? Or is that something AMD has to implement, or maybe the developers of each individually supported game?

There's no reason this should not work out of the box on older cards.
What AMD is saying is that they don't give official support for it, meaning they're not testing it works and performs properly.
But it's extremely likely it'll just work as well for them.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
according to Gamers Nexus it seems it should work on those cards. and FRS has to be implemented by the devs

Deleted member 10675

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Madrid
It should work out of the box in them, this solution is purely based on Shader Model 5.0 Compute Shaders, that means Radeon HD 5000 and GeForce 400 and up.

Paganmoon

Oct 26, 2017
AMD Sponsored games would be better off implementing Temporal AA Upsampling.
I would be curious to see the difference between TAAU and FSR Quality or Ultra Quality. You only compared against Performance mode in the video from what I saw. Shouldn't the comparison be the best each feature can offer?

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND
I would be curious to see the difference between TAAU and FSR Quality or Ultra Quality. You only compared against Performance mode in the video from what I saw. Shouldn't the comparison be the best each feature can offer?
The purpose of comparing it to TAA U is to point out that FSR is outcompeted no matter what resolution is the input if a game has TAAU. AKA, there is not reason to use FSR if TAA U is available. The difference at higher input resolutions is the same, just with more convergence:
1440pupscaler9jvj.png

Notice the character model, hair, textures, etc.

Deleted member 93062

Banned
Mar 4, 2021
I just got a tweet from someone telling me how they did this. I never knew a bout this nice config tweak. I tried to use UNreal Engine Unlocker which doe snot work unfortunately with GodFall.

Oh sweet! I've never even played Godfall so I assumed it was a setting. Hopefully that helps with testing future games! I also had a question, TAAU has existed for a few years and other studios have their own solutions, is there any reason why there aren't more games with official settings in games especially after DLSS released? I agree with you that TAAU looks better than FSR (TSR will probably blow it out of the water) and the performance difference is negligible but I like FSR because I know more games will actually support/have in-game options for it like Cyberpunk with FidelityFX CAS. Was just wondering since I suspect DF knows a few devs.

joeblow

Oct 27, 2017
Laker Nation
There's no reason this should not work out of the box on older cards.
What AMD is saying is that they don't give official support for it, meaning they're not testing it works and performs properly.
But it's extremely likely it'll just work as well for them.
according to Gamers Nexus it seems it should work on those cards. and FRS has to be implemented by the devs
It should work out of the box in them, this solution is purely based on Shader Model 5.0 Compute Shaders, that means Radeon HD 5000 and GeForce 400 and up.
It will work on any DX11 capable GPU with about 100% possibility.
Wow, thanks for the replies! I bought my R9 390 Nitro for a really nice price five years ago, and it continues to keep my old rig chugging along. I want to wait to replace the entire rig in a year and a half or so, but I hope I'll be fine at 1440P until then if possible. With its 8GB of RAM, I'm thinking that I can get a decently playable experience on some of the upcoming games up to that point (with some tech details dialed down of course). This FidelityFX tech looks pretty good in screenshots to me to help with that effort.

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
The purpose of comparing it to TAA U is to point out that FSR is outcompeted no matter what resolution is the input if a game has TAAU. AKA, there is not reason to use FSR if TAA U is available. The difference at higher input resolutions is the same, just with more convergence:
1440pupscaler9jvj.png

Isn't FSR more performant than TAAU though?

Some of the other videos I've seen use unlocked framerates and FSR did outdo TAAU in framerate.

Gyroscope

Oct 25, 2017
Kitgurus video was pretty nice. I just tried this in Riftbreakers 1440p. 85fps~ to 115fps~ with Ultra Quality. Some minor (to me) degradation to IQ with aliasing with transparencies. I'd probably play in this mode as it's real minor to me in motion.

Decent start from AMD, TAAU comparisons are apt. Hopefully AMD efforts don't stop here.

MeBecomingI

Oct 27, 2017
A lot of places seem to be pretty impressed with what AMD have done so far. Completely not shocked that DF isn't.

It's a great first step for AMD and improvements are going to come for sure over time.

Nov 2, 2017
A lot of places seem to be pretty impressed with what AMD have done so far. Completely not shocked that DF isn't.

It's a great first step for AMD and improvements are going to come for sure over time.
Well, I feel there's very few places that properly explore how it matches up against existing solutions, like the TAAU comparison. It's hard to impressed when there's already better solutions that would also work on all GPUs with a very similar performance hit. I feel a lot of places are just reviewing this in a vacuum.

MeBecomingI

Oct 27, 2017
Well, I feel there's very few places that properly explore how it matches up against existing solutions, like the TAAU comparison. It's hard to impressed when there's already better solutions that would also work on all GPUs with a very similar performance hit. I feel a lot of places are just reviewing this in a vacuum.

A lot of videos have explored exactly those comparisons and they look good compared to TAAU.

Flappy Pannus

Feb 14, 2019
Feel free to elaborate on this.

Sure, in that they incorporate a temporal component and fundamentally change how it works and basically address its main criticism now. If you're expecting any significant improvement while keeping its spatial method largely intact now, I wouldn't.

Zombegoast

Oct 30, 2017
FSR off vs on Ultra Quality in Riftbreaker Demo.
110EC2AC0E93725973013540EA4939561DD40F9B

51826E38FE8F5172E9509135EE11AC2A775F0D60

The IQ is a bit softer and didn't except to be a blurry mess as I expected to be
RZUkDJo.png

bt2RxjF.png

SapientWolf

Nov 6, 2017
1440pupscaler9jvj.png

Some people might be more sensitive to the shimmering of TAAU, unless kitguru was exaggerating.

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
A lot of videos have explored exactly those comparisons and they look good compared to TAAU.
None of today videos I've seen have made proper comparisons really. Even DF's video omitted things like performance comparisons and use of CAS with TAAU. There's much more to explore here than what was shown today. But tbf there aren't a lot of games to test yet, and zero games where FSR can be compared with DLSS. So many outlets decided to wait until there will be more things to test.

And most videos were on point in their assessment of technique in quality (not really close to native unless native is heavily blurred by post), compatibility (wide h/w support is it's strong suite and will be very helpful for older GPUs) and performance (around +70% on average, closer to +50% for modes which are of useable quality; nowhere near to +140% from AMD's ads).
The only video which was overly optimistic came from HUB (no surprise there really) which managed to not see any difference between native and UQ/Q in Godfall and Anno - which is very visible to those who use their eyes instead of listening to what the presenter says.

LightKiosk

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I'm not sure if it got glanced over but I was impressed in the Forspoken FSR vid that mentioned they got it implemented within a day. That bodes well for future game support outside of the list of games they've shown so far.

Ada

Nov 28, 2017
Durante posted a comment on reddit, seems like Alex was the only reviewer who knew what they were talking about.

Oct 25, 2017
Jesus, was seeing the YouTube comments and Reddit and i feel for Alex. Some people are literally calling him a paid Nvidia fanboy, accusing him an
Durante posted a comment on reddit, seems like Alex was the only reviewer who knew what they were talking about.
Just as a FYI for those here: Don't even bother reading Reddit today on hardware/gaming related subreddits. It's a battlefield. Same for YouTube comments section in the DF video

TSM

Oct 27, 2017

Probably not really fair to the other reviewers as their channels don't really have the same focus on graphics that DF does on a daily basis, but yeah people probably should take any assessments on the graphical differences from the other channels with a very large grain of salt.