• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Khrol

Oct 28, 2017
Investing in the Xbox ecosystem is thw worst thing I've ever done. An absolutely clueless company. Every piece of news of that drops either leaves me scratching my head or breaking my heart. I don't think they're long for this world.

sanstesy

Banned
Nov 16, 2017
Gears 5 is not exclusive.

No future Microsoft Studios game is really exclusive. That's why comparing exclusives completely loses its meaning in today's market.

Microsoft Studios could have better software output than all of Sony and Nintendo combined and people would still say "but they aren't real exclusives".
Of course, because Microsoft is going for a completely different strategy than either of them - Nintendo, Sony and Microsoft are investing in the gaming market but doing so in completely, hardly comparable ways.

Meg Cherry

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
he put out a gears video before this one. i don't disagree with his assessment having played gears. it's fine but it's gears, we played that game 5 times before.
Fine enough, but it isn't like Gears 5 is particularly reductive to the Gears formula. Hell, compared to past entries of its own series - it makes a lot of smart, subtle changes for the better.

If it was a Borderlands 3 situation where the sameness to the past games is being spun by marketing into a positive - I'd get it. But instead the pitch is that it's a slightly more narratively competent Gears game with some new multiplayer improvements and... that's what it is.

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Investing in the Xbox ecosystem is thw worst thing I've ever done. An absolutely clueless company. Every piece of news of that drops either leaves me scratching my head or breaking my heart. I don't think they're long for this world.

You don't think Microsoft, a trillion dollar company, is long for this world?

K...

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
The vid was worth it for the kid montage at least.
I haven't seen a better depiction of a console warrior.

klastical

Oct 29, 2017
You mean in specs? yes for sure... In games? not even close and the topic is about games, not specs.

There libraries are 99% the same. Playstation has more exclusives for sure. As someone who owns an xbox x and a ps4 pro I havnt turned on my ps4 this year because there havnt been any exclusives I cared about and every other AAA game just flat out performs better on xbox with very few exceptions.

Decarb

Oct 27, 2017
For a failed console, WiiU did put out a shitton of quality titles in the brief 4 years that it was alive.

OP
OP
PixelatedDonut

PixelatedDonut

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Philly ❤️
Is "Remember guys it's just video games and have fun." the warning we're going to get whenever someone wants to signal boost an unfunny dipshit Youtuber who still hasn't apologised for his past bigotry from this point on?

It doesn't help that Dunky's serious takes are as shallow as a puddle and have been said 1,000 times already.
no it just about the console war folks chill

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I used to think exclusives were all that mattered. But gamepass has changed my opinion drastically. Best value on the market

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
In specs and availability of games through gamepass

GP is perhaps the crown jewel but it is not a good fit for everyone courtesy of its rotating content nature. Anyway, software-wise it subjective and personally MS has come a long way but I am partial to Sony because their FP games just click with me (presumably because I have a history with their games). I think the more important thing is that not one of the current competitor is worse than the other depending upon the taste of the user. But in terms of absolute breadth of content, nothing can touch PC.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
No future Microsoft Studios game is really exclusive. That's why comparing exclusives completely loses its meaning in today's market.

Microsoft Studios could have better software output than all of Sony and Nintendo combined and people would still say "but they aren't real exclusives". Of course, because Microsoft is going for a completely different strategy than either of them.

Oh, I know. I completely understand.

However, "but that's not Microsoft's strategy anymore" doesn't work when the specific conversation is "which console is the best?"

Khrol

Oct 28, 2017
What news gives you that idea?

Most recently, the people working at 343i leaving the Halo project. Then there was the news earlier today about them shifting to different metrics since sales don't matter or whatever. Just reeks of a company without a clue. There is zero chance I buy the next Xbox console. I have no faith in this company to deliver anymore.

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
Most recently, the people working at 343i leaving the Halo project. Then there was the news earlier today about them shifting to different metrics since sales don't matter or whatever. Just reeks of a company without a clue. There is zero chance I buy the next Xbox console. I have no faith in this company to deliver anymore.
And those news spook you? That's normal industry news.

OP
OP
PixelatedDonut

PixelatedDonut

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Philly ❤️
I mean, he probably started making the video assuming Gears 5 would flop/review poorly. Then it just... didn't. So rather than acknowledge a challenge to his central thesis, he just starts making shit up to justify the original point.

Dude's no different from any other forum shitposter, he just has solid video editing skills.
you do know that he has gameplay of him playing gears 5 in the video, and his last video was about gears 5 right? He just shared his opinion.

Ryengeku

Oct 26, 2017
Georgia, US
Sony has even more now with PSVR. Microsoft needs to come in swinging next gen. I mean literally "Donkey Kong windmill arm flailing" swinging to stop the tsunami that Sony is riding on at the moment

the video was more direct and serious than i was expecting, but tbh it was very basic too, just "look how many quality games sony and nintendo have compared to MS"
Ehh, I still chuckled.

Meg Cherry

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
I mean, if you're losing faith in 343 - fine enough. Let the game change your mind.

But what about Xbox shifting away from sales is 'clueless'? They're selling a subscription service. Netflix does not measure success in Stranger Things DVD sales.

Tomacco

Oct 27, 2017
Most recently, the people working at 343i leaving the Halo project.
It was A creative director if I'm not mistaken, people come and go to a company that size all the time

Then there was the news earlier today about them shifting to different metrics since sales don't matter or whatever.
Or with them moving to more service based, they are reporting on the revenue from said services. Kinda like they did with Office365.

Just reeks of a company without a clue.
Market Cap of 1.4 Trillion dollars

There is zero chance I buy the next Xbox console. I have no faith in this company to deliver anymore.
Cool?

Xwing

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Nov 11, 2017
This feels like a video most other youtubers made like 3 years ago.

I think it's pretty clear at this point that Microsoft has given up on trying to beat Sony in a direct head on "platform exclusives" hardware war since all of their first party titles will be coming to PC. Going forward, their strategy seems to be focusing on the platform of Games Pass and the next Xbox being a premium "luxury" gaming machine for people who want power but can't drop $1,500 + on a PC. It'll be interesting to see what the messaging surrounding the next Xbox announcement looks like at E3 2020.

If Dunky wanted to do a "The death of X" video, he could have made something fun about the Dreamcast given the recent anniversary. But then again, maybe he just genuinely has beef with Xbox?

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I feel like the undoubted issue of the lack of earth shattering Xbox One exclusives is getting really overblown, and a video as poor as this is a good example of that. Things will hopefully improve on this regard and whilst it'll probably come too late for the Xbox One specifically I can't necessarily agree with the assertion that even the Wii U was better than the Xbox One. And I really like the Wii U. I wouldn't be surprised if like at least 60 of the inevitable top 100 games of this gen vote- that this and other sites will do-are playable on Xbox One, if not more. And some through Game Pass, which is ignored in this video unfortunately.

calibos

Dec 13, 2017
People get banned for console warring here all the time and yet, threads exclusively about console warring exist. Fuck console wars over exclusives and fuck all the negativity around the Xbox just because they released an awesome game on an amazing service. Sony is about to drop two megatons with Death Stranding and Last of us 2 in the next 6 - 12 months...Can't we move past this bullshit?

MilesQ

Oct 25, 2017
Gamepass provides a shitton of games for a ridiculously cheap pricepoint, yeah. It doesn't have any of the truly stellar titles this gen though. Personally I go quality over quantity any day for my games.

I'd argue Outer Wilds is one of the best games of this generation, but that's personal taste more than anything.

monmagman

Dec 6, 2018
England,UK
Remember that period of time where the idea that exclusives don't matter was floated constantly? It's funny how hard that tide shifted.
Indeed,that was certainly a thing for a while.Sony and Nintendo didn't get the memo though did they,lol.....they just doubled down and put out exclusive after exclusive of amazing quality...which people then bought in huge numbers.

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Klonoa 2 shoutout

and yea, when you spell it out in an overview like this, it does illuminate how bad it is

once the jrpg exclusive train left the 360, thats the last time i ever even thought about prioritizing anything to do with Xbox

Last edited:

Khrol

Oct 28, 2017
And those news spook you? That's normal industry news.

Kinda the culmination of entire generation of shit news but yeah, I'm out.

It was A creative director if I'm not mistaken, people come and go to a company that size all the time

Or with them moving to more service based, they are reporting on the revenue from said services. Kinda like they did with Office365.

Market Cap of 1.4 Trillion dollars

Cool?

Cool well enjoy those services and market cap. I'll take my gaming dollar elsewhere.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
Huh. Not the funniest video, but that's more or less how we're going to look back on things.

sanstesy

Banned
Nov 16, 2017
Oh, I know. I completely understand.

However, "but that's not Microsoft's strategy anymore" doesn't work when the specific conversation is "which console is the best?"

It works, though, because it's completely subjective.

Right now every console maker is purusing a different strategy that attracts different audiences. The comparisons and console wars become meaningless - it's like saying Sony has the better consoles than Nintendo because they'll always be more powerful.

While Microsoft has no "real exclusives" neither Sony nor Nintendo have anything on the level of XBOX Gamepass for example.

Status
Not open for further replies.