• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Gradon

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Fuck Walmart
Imagine preventing the sales of games
But not
Guns

I cannot fathom it 🤔

Apopheniac

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Since Target and Amazon have been price-matching Walmart's $50 launch window games, are their price-matches also halted?

schuelma

Oct 24, 2017
Ok, so I'm not in any way to defend Walmart taking any actions against video games while not touching their gun business, but I do not believe the original article is accurate (and it looks like IGN has made an update to the article)- they are not stopping selling video games- they are taking down displays of violent games (yes, I know its still really dumb).

Everywhere

Banned
Jun 12, 2019
I have had two offers to work and live in the US and shit like this reminds me why I said NOPE both times. Hahaha.

Good economy though. Just not at the risk of being killed randomly.

Get your shit together "America".

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I already got the ones I want digitally. 😬

Interesting, I didn't know the stores could operate like that.
I don't nor have I ever worked at retail, but it's just logical that not every store would be reacting at the same speed, especially when this is pretty clearly a spur of the moment policy decision that occurred with little warning

Oct 25, 2017
104645470-DGz4YT1VwAEF4ZT.jpg

104645470-DGz4YT1VwAEF4ZT.1910x1000.jpg

Walmart said this was an edit/prank, but might as well be reality

Shoichi

Jan 10, 2018
holy...welp there goes my way of finding cheaper games once my GCU expires shortly...

Sha_96

Jan 22, 2019
I can't believe they have the nerve to ban games while still selling real guns at the same fucking store ...

H3llR8iser

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Seriously folks, Walmart Just clearing out the video game section to make more room to sell guns and ammos.

Fucking pathetic....

Deleted member 5127

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I can't believe America actually has stores that sells video games AND guns. WTF America...

And pulling the games instead of the guns, there's just no words to describe this.

schuelma

Oct 24, 2017
Ok, I'll try one more time then just leave everyone to their own devices- click the article again and you'll see the original headline is not accurate (and again..I'm not defending Walmart here..just pointing out they aren't actually stopping video game sales)

kpaadet

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
At least you can always buy a gun in a Walmart and then instantly use it to rob them and force them to sell you the dangerous vidya games.

adj_noun

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ok, I'll try one more time then just leave everyone to their own devices- click the article again and you'll see the original headline is not accurate (and again..I'm not defending Walmart here..just pointing out they aren't actually stopping video game sales)

Update: Walmart Responds, Now Claims No Policy Banning Games Exists

Update

ErrorJustin

Oct 28, 2017
Walmart has walked back their statement and isn't halting video game sales after all apparently - please threadmark, etc.

Since the posting of this story, Walmart has claimed they were confused over our request for comment, effectively reverting their statement on a policy around the ban of any game sales (temporary or otherwise).

During this investigation IGN reached out multiple times to ask whether Walmart was halting the sale of video games from its stores. We asked Walmart to clarify yesterday's reports regarding video game ads and signage, and then added, "There are additional reports on Twitter that say certain stores are taking down video game sales completely. Is there any truth to these reports?"

Walmart followed up in reply with the statement that you see in the original story. In the statement Walmart said, "We've taken this action out of respect for the incidents of the past week, and it does not reflect a long-term change in our video game assortment."

IGN requested further clarification around the sale of video games specifically, to which Walmart replied, "Our statement stands company wide."

Shortly after the posting of this story, we were contacted by a Walmart representative who apologized for what was apparently a miscommunication on their behalf. We have since clarified with the aforementioned Walmart representative that the company has "not given any directive to remove video games from the shelves."

IGN apologizes for any confusion or alarm this may have raised. We are similarly pissed.

Original story continues...

LebGuns

Oct 25, 2017
It's fucking insane and stupid as fuck how they don't see the irony in removing interactive media that in their mind glorifies violence and guns (in a fictional environment), but actually keep the real life guns and other assorted weaponry that can actually inflict violence.

Bit_Reactor

Banned
Apr 9, 2019
104645470-DGz4YT1VwAEF4ZT.jpg

104645470-DGz4YT1VwAEF4ZT.1910x1000.jpg

Walmart said this was an edit/prank, but might as well be reality
Yeah as much as I agree with the discourse I'm getting really sick of having to keep harping on about how this image was fake/a prank and how everyone spreads it like it's real and/or condoned by WalMart...

I get your post, but the intent of putting an image like this here is distracting from the actual conversation and is the equivalent of putting a photoshopped image and passing it off as evidence. Let's try to be better.

mindatlarge

Oct 27, 2017
PA, USA
Walmart has walked back their statement and isn't halting video game sales after all apparently - please threadmark, etc.

Since the posting of this story, Walmart has claimed they were confused over our request for comment, effectively reverting their statement on a policy around the ban of any game sales (temporary or otherwise).

During this investigation IGN reached out multiple times to ask whether Walmart was halting the sale of video games from its stores. We asked Walmart to clarify yesterday's reports regarding video game ads and signage, and then added, "There are additional reports on Twitter that say certain stores are taking down video game sales completely. Is there any truth to these reports?"

Walmart followed up in reply with the statement that you see in the original story. In the statement Walmart said, "We've taken this action out of respect for the incidents of the past week, and it does not reflect a long-term change in our video game assortment."

IGN requested further clarification around the sale of video games specifically, to which Walmart replied, "Our statement stands company wide."

Shortly after the posting of this story, we were contacted by a Walmart representative who apologized for what was apparently a miscommunication on their behalf. We have since clarified with the aforementioned Walmart representative that the company has "not given any directive to remove video games from the shelves."

IGN apologizes for any confusion or alarm this may have raised. We are similarly pissed.

So, this is a non story then?

Seems crazy that this sort of thing could be due to miscommunication.

Beef Supreme

Oct 25, 2017
I guess Marilyn Manson isn't popular enough to blame gun violence on now.

What is ironic is that I can literally walk into a Wal Mart, buy a rifle without a background check, buy the shells and then proceed to mow the clerk that sold it to me down Terminator style. But hey, at least they kept me from the evil that is Call of Duty.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
This can't be real. Must be some internet meme. Banning games while still selling guns? I mean ... wow.

Bit_Reactor

Banned
Apr 9, 2019

So they're either putting out damage control or didn't know how to answer the question. While both are incompetent, it's not the same and I guess I'll just touch back on the thread when/if they confirm if that tweet was for real or not. Still think their taking down of displays and the like is an empty gesture however.

FayaEmblaimu

Alt account
Banned
Aug 2, 2019
it's stupid
but it's a good idea to show that guns are the problem.
I mean what Trump will accuse if those awful events happen again now?

jayu26

Oct 25, 2017
Okay, Walmart, you know what take it away. At this point I just want to see what will be their next scapegoat.