• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

danm999

Oct 29, 2017
Sydney
Was Andromeda really that hyped? I thought everyone walked into that one knowing what it would be.

But I totally get the fall between 3 and Andromeda. 3 gets shit but I really loved that game. The ending was weak but I didn't mind.

Obviously opinions differ but there was a cautious optimism because the series was getting back to its exploration roots. Bioware had also just come off of Dragon Age Inquisition which was very well received, so there was a sense Bioware had shaken off some of the cobwebs of the Mass Effect 3/Dragon Age 2 Era.

Also nobody knew how bad some of the animation/story/dialogue stuff was. It was made by a former Bioware support studio so there was this level of amateurism to a bunch of stuff Bioware had never gotten wrong before that was appalling. The animation stuff was fixed mostly by patches but the story couldn't be.

Baleoce

Oct 27, 2017
Command and Conquer 4 exists, so no. Even after the EA aquisition of Westwood, you had Generals, Zero Hour, C&C3, Kane's Wrath. Red Alert 3 was marmite. But C&C4? Killed it straight in its fucking tracks. To the point the point they didn't even have the balls to fully realise their plans for Generals 2. It was an abomination that died in Alpha when they self confessed that people literally did not want the game they had envisioned. All momentum for that franchise died with C&C4.
Just gonna pop this on a new page seen as it's at the bottom.

Godzilla24

Nov 12, 2017
Nah. There are a few game series that folks don't even talk about anymore. That's even worse because no one cares to even mention it. Franchises like killzone.

Cabal

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
United States
hm i don't think Other M was that damaging. not like what happened to ME.

the series is still alive and getting new entries.

ME had it worse unless it receives a new entry.

I doubt Mass Effect is dead forever. I do think it will be sometime before another entry surfaces, especially if Anthem doesn't sell a ton of copies.

SmarmySmurf

Banned
Nov 5, 2017
Tomb Raider: The Angel of Darkness nearly killed the series, and set both dev and publisher on a path of inevitable closure or getting acquired by another company.
So I think that one was a tad more damaging .

I thought about this one too, but the series came back pretty strong IMO with the very next entry and then a great remake. Then Underworld. *cough* Then the reboot series which has been pretty great. I don't think AoD hurt the IP much overall, just CORE and their planned trilogy.

Sub Level

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Hello friend, can I introduce you to God of War Ascension, Gears of War Judgement, Metroid Other M, Metroid Federation Force and Dragon Age 2?

Thank you for introducing us to franchises that continued to be both critically and commercially successful after every single one of those installments.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
There will be another Mass Effect

I'll believe it when I see it

A reboot could absolutely save face for Mass Effect. If fucking Tomb Raider can claw it's way back to being a reputable franchise, then Mass Effect is fine. If ME never returns, it won't be because of a lack of viability of the franchise, it will be because Bioware imploded and shut down before it was given the chance.

Yukari

Mar 28, 2018
Thailand
Why people say Dead Space 3 ?

I mean it not horror game but it still good game.

And Visceral Games want add co op since first game even Dead Space 3 original concept.

danm999

Oct 29, 2017
Sydney
A reboot could absolutely save face for Mass Effect. If fucking Tomb Raider can claw it's way back to being a reputable franchise, then Mass Effect is fine. If ME never returns, it won't be because of a lack of viability of the franchise, it will be because Bioware imploded and shut down before it was given the chance.

Square Enix seems a little more forgiving of franchises and studios who makes mistakes than EA.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I love and adore Mass Effect. The original trilogy is perfect. The ending was rough but it didn't damage my enthusiasm for the series. I've replayed the trilogy several times, around once a year. I read the books and comics. I do anything Mass Effect I can get my hands on.

Andromeda...killed it for me. Just totally killed my enthusiasm. It's atrocious. Every aspect of the game is terrible. Bioware completely lost their touch. We waited five years for this and it was garbage. I'll still replay the original trilogy and still love it forever, but Andromeda has just been dropped into a black hole in my memory. It doesn't exist.

FUME5

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Master Chief Collection says hello.

I know a lot of longtime series fan who were done with the franchise after that.

Deleted member 1656

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So-Cal
Why people say Dead Space 3 ?

I mean it not horror game but it still good game.

And Visceral Games want add co op since first game even Dead Space 3 original concept.
It's not a definitely awful game but I don't think it's nearly as refined as the first two games, while the true death knells were the inflated budget and intrusive monetization driven by brash expectations for the series to be so much more than it was.

Trickster

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
DmC comes to mind. Developers repeatedly managed to offend existing fanbase, both prerelease, and in the actual game as well.

It also completed failed to reach that broader audience that capcom were so eager to get.

Freddo

Oct 27, 2017
SmĂĄland, Sweden
I feel the ME3 ending had a more damaging effect on the Mass Effect franchise than Andromeda. After the ME3 ending a number of people weren't that interested in the series any more.

Zhukov

Banned
Dec 6, 2017
Surely not.

Don't get me wrong, the people responsible for Andromeda thoroughly screwed the pooch, but I have trouble believing it was the worst such instance.

How about Dawn of War 3? I'm given to understand that died in the arse in short order.

I don't play fighting games, but didn't the latest Marvel Vs Capcom recently pass out in a ditch?

danm999

Oct 29, 2017
Sydney
Surely not.

Don't get me wrong, the people responsible for Andromeda thoroughly screwed the pooch, but I have trouble believing it was the worst such instance.

How about Dawn of War 3? I'm given to understand that died in the arse in short order.

I don't play fighting games, but didn't the latest Marvel Vs Capcom recently pass out in a ditch?

Dawn of War 3 is a good example since Relic cuts plans for additional content. Pretty good chance they'll take another crack at the franchise I would have thought though.

Seeya

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My guess is;

If Anthem is successful, that will become the new EA Bioware space game.

If Anthem is not successful, Bioware might not be around much longer.

Classic EA setup with anthem, they used the failure of MEA to refocuse the entire studio around one high risk to big to even slightly not meet high expectations game.

endlessflood

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Australia (GMT+10)
Dead Space 3 is a great game, EA just had unrealistic wants of it, like the two previous games before it.

The entire series did poor, they only made more in hopes it would grow, never did.
I agree. DS3 wasn't nearly as good as DS1, but I think I probably enjoyed it just as much as DS2. I don't think horror and action need to be mutually exclusive; DS3 was simply Aliens to DS1's Alien. I feel like some of the bolder decisions (both in terms of design and storytelling) in DS1 actually got walked back in DS2 (i.e. before DS3).

The writing for the series was already on the wall, and only DS3 being a far bigger hit than the two previous games was ever going to save it.

StayHandsome

Banned
Nov 30, 2017
A lot of mentions for MVC Infinite but I don't think it's quite as bad. Where MEA was a legitimately massive franchise shitting the bed on all fronts, MVC Infinite is actually a decent, highly functionable game that's been presented and handled very badly. It disappointed its fans and failed to grab mainstream attention, but it's not on the same scale as MEA, an active series with millions of customers.

Jmille99

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
To try and throw out some other games that were highly praised turned middling at best:

Harvest Moon: The Lost Valley

Paper Mario: Sticker Star

Red Faction: Armageddon

Dont think they beat out alot in this thread, but i think these can fit for similar reasons.

UltraMav

Oct 25, 2017
There will be another Mass Effect

If it wasn't EA, I would agree. With them it's a toss up.

This is the same company that dropped its premiere space sim franchise even after decent sales of Wing Commander: Prophecy, then let the franchise continue to rot when Star Citizen raised hundreds of millions with nothing to show for it, proving the thirst was real.

This is the same company that killed Dead Space after one poorly received game.

This is the same company that wasn't smart enough to cancel C&C 4 and start over.

This is the same company that pushed BioWare into the GAAS model instead of making KOTOR 3, even when they had the Star Wars license, exclusively.

Then again. This is the company that released a sequel to Mirror's Edge.

So I guess we'll see.

Crushed

Oct 25, 2017
So would you say that Ultima 8 or Ultima 9 killed the series

Because 8 was a shockingly bad drop in quality and complexity for a series that was once the trailblazer in that, and 9 was supposed to be the big 3D debut that got delayed for years and came out as a buggy un-fun mess that completely cocked up the series' lore, which was great since it was supposed to be ending the story. Both of them were developed under EA's auspices.

Now the only trace of Ultima 20 years later is that Online is still somehow running to this day.

Like, this was one of the most prominent and influential franchises in the history of gaming. It's impossible to overstate the combined influence that Ultima 1-7, Underworld 1 & 2, and Online had on literally like half of the genres in video games. Origin, the studio that developed so many milestone games, is now the name of EA's online service. And then it just completely died in two wet farts and these days most people probably think that Bethesda or BioWare or whoever invented all the RPG stuff that they directly cribbed from Ultima games.

Heshinsi

Oct 25, 2017
Makes me wonder if EA even cared for ME anymore after they got a hold of the Star Wars license? Seems if and when they no longer make Star Wars games they may dig up Mass Effect again.
That's weird, because unless they've got a KOTOR III I'm secret development, Battlefront games don't come anywhere close to scratching the same itch that Mass Effect does.

newmoneytrash

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
If it wasn't EA, I would agree. With them it's a toss up.

This is the same company that dropped its premiere space sim franchise even after decent sales of Wing Commander: Prophecy, then let the franchise continue to rot when Star Citizen raised hundreds of millions with nothing to show for it, proving the thirst was real.

This is the same company that killed Dead Space after one poorly received game.

This is the same company that wasn't smart enough to cancel C&C 4 and start over.

This is the same company that pushed BioWare into the GAAS model instead of making KOTOR 3, even when they had the Star Wars license, exclusively.

Then again. This is the company that released a sequel to Mirror's Edge.

So I guess we'll see.
I think Mass Effect is big enough that it could come back in the future as a good will effort. Something like C&C just doesn't have the broad appeal that a mass effect would imo

While EA has the star wars licence I don't think there's any chance they touch Mass Effect again, but after battlefront ii i would imagine disney and lucas probably want to move away from having all of their video game eggs in one basket

It won't be for *awhile*, but mass effect will return

Arthoneceron

Oct 27, 2017
Minas Gerais, Brazil
Mass Effect Andromeda was poorly-cooked, so I think it's EA's fault.

AssCreed Unity is bigger for me, because it took everything I liked from the franchise and made it in the most annoying way possible. Again, mostly Ubisoft's fault over annual games.

Final Fantasy XIII is a trainwreck of epic proportions. This one basically destroyed the good name of the FF franchise and turned itself in a joke. The XIII-2 and Lightning, which I think it was to recap the investment, didn't helped the biased over the universe and their characters. Even today people aren't sold, or at least has big doubts, of Square-Enix announcing a new game from the franchise if it will good enough.

But, in my opinion, Paper Mario: Sticker Star is, by far, the worst game following this way of thinking. It's just sad to think it's from the same company and the same series from Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door. And it's sadder that the Mario & Luigi games are following that pattern.

DSP

Oct 25, 2017
Nah, C&C4 still holds that crown. It ended an iconic franchise that spanned 2 decades and pioneered the genre... The game was so shit it was abandoned in a matter of weeks.

LossAversion

The Merchant of ERA
Oct 28, 2017
From a quality standpoint, not even close. Andromeda was not a terrible, franchise-killing game.

Everything that went wrong with Andromeda is on EA. The game was announced too soon, it had horrible marketing, it obviously needed more development time, and worst of all... EA just completely abandoned it like cowards. The Mass Effect series would be in a much better position right now if they had continued to patch the game and allow the developers to work on at least one big expansion to fill in the Quarian storyline.

Metroidvania

Oct 25, 2017
But, in my opinion, Paper Mario: Sticker Star is, by far, the worst game following this way of thinking. It's just sad to think it's from the same company and the same series from Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door. And it's sadder that the Mario & Luigi games are following that pattern.

The sad thing is, due to the relative hardware pool, Sticker Star sold the most, IIRC - so say goodbye to any chance at something like TTYD ever again.

That being said, I'm not sure Sticker Star actually qualifies for the thread topic in question.

ME:A probably will end up killing the franchise (or at least deep-freezing it for a LONG time), but ME3 also played a role there, IMO.

Dead Space and Simcity 2013 are also decent examples.

DS3 was simply Aliens to DS1's Alien. I feel like some of the bolder decisions (both in terms of design and storytelling) in DS1 actually got walked back in DS2 (i.e. before DS3).

Uh....DS2 was pretty clearly the Aliens to DS1's Alien, in making Isaac more mobile, more of an explicit necromorph killing machine, etc..

DS3 is some weird mashup of 2, 3, and Resurrection - and takes a lot of negative influence from the latter two films.