• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Stalker

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
ME1-3 are held in pretty high regard. The Andromeda hype was real. Mass effect was a major league title.

ME:A basically got killed. DLC plans axed and the game was put out to die assumedly with the entire franchise.

Halo had a fall from grace but not even close to the level of ME.

RIP Mass Effect

Oct 26, 2017
It's up there I would guess?

The trifecta of Shadow, Sonic 06, and Sonic GBA Remake in 12 months really killed Sonic as a brand though.

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR
MvCI.
Metroid Other M + Federation Force combo.
DmC.
Etc.

Franchises come back from worse.

Markitron

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ireland
That would be Dead Space 3

Took an extremely promising series, that contained two brilliant games and a fantastic spin-off, and killed it stone-dead. We're probably never gonna see it return.

Fuck Dead Space 3.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Just ahead of Marvel vs Capcom Infinite, yeah. But apparently it still sold decently.

Andromeda and Infinite prove how appearances mean a lot when it comes to games.

Stoffinator

Oct 27, 2017
Makes me wonder if EA even cared for ME anymore after they got a hold of the Star Wars license? Seems if and when they no longer make Star Wars games they may dig up Mass Effect again.

Xero grimlock

Dec 1, 2017
For me personally its ME 3. as evident by I couldnt give two shits about any other mass effect games after it.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Not even close in terms of sales or critical reception.

Oct 31, 2017
The Blocc
It's gotta be up there but you would have to imagine one of the Street Fighter, Marvel v. Capcom, a resident evil and Battlefront 1 and 2 being in this conversation.

Delaney

Oct 25, 2017
I'd argue that Final Fantasy XIII had a similar impact in the franchise's public reception.

Rixan

Oct 25, 2017
I would argue the last act of ME3 makes ME3 the most damaging entry a game series has ever had

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Nah, people were already hesitant after how 3 ended.

Marvel vs Capcom Infinite could be that game though.

Imran

Oct 24, 2017
Due to an issue with terrible timing, Disaster Report 4 basically killed its developer. It was scheduled to release a month after the 2011 earthquakes and tsunamis and the developer had no choice but to cancel the game days before going gold. The whole thing had to be written off and Irem had to refocus to become a slot machine developer.

Eventually the developers left, formed Granzella, and repurchased the rights to the game from Irem. It's supposed to come out this year.

CHC

Oct 27, 2017
Debatable, but all the other candidates are also made by EA so what's it really matter?

Oct 25, 2017
Calgary, AB
I guess it remains to be seen in terms of how quickly the franchise comes back and if, when it does, it manages to really bounce back. I feel like Twisted Metal 1 & 2 were pretty huge games for the Playstation, one of the anchors of the brand, and absolutely some of my favourite gaming memories are tied to them, but man, Twisted Metal 3 really destroyed the franchise for awhile in my eyes.

night814

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Pennsylvania
Other M and Star Fox Adventure come to mind. Star fox wasn't exactly going anywhere but Metroid had just finished the Prime trilogy a few years before Other M.

Deleted member 279

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Tbh the issues were extremely overblown. The game was solid.

I blame (hardcore) gamers being so eager to hate games and developers for some reason.

ME:A isn't the only decent game to fail due to exaggerated criticism spreading like wildfire.

Bessy67

Oct 29, 2017
I'm with others here in saying ME3 did the most damage to the series. After that ridiculous ending there was really nowhere else for the franchise to go.

Lishi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Not as bad, but still same house.
Dragon age 2?

Edit.

Wait, extended family

C&C 4

=(

Aokiji

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles
14M units for ME series as of July 2014. Across 3 games and 7 years. great numbers.
Metacritic for all 3 games above a 90
Books, comics, merch, the works

Andromeda?
Metacritic of 71
EA has reported none of the sales.

mrtl

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's 6 hours long though. Have you not even played 6 hours of Andromeda ? I'm not the biggest fan but Andromeda has pretty decent stuff in it. Duke is just horrible in every ways possible.
I played the 10 hour trial on Xbox and couldn't look past the glaring animation issues. Is it really that short though?

unknownspectator

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
can I just say how stupid it is that devs and publishers kill a series just because of one bad game especially if the previous games did well?

Cause it's fucking stupid.

funky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hard to tell how much damage was done without a followup game.

Resistance 2 killed that franchise so bad even a AMAZING game like Resistance 3 couldnt help it.

AntiMacro

Oct 27, 2017
Alberta
SOCOM 4 - but I think Sony should have shouldered the blame for that, putting out an online focused game at the same time their servers went down for almost a month after the hack. Wonder why it didn't sell...

Medal of Honor: Warfighter - this one killed a decent franchise.

Dead Space 3 - ditto

Tony Hawk 5 (or Ride) - probably a mercy kill on this one.

Valcrist

Tic-Tac-Toe Champion
Oct 25, 2017
Dead Space 3 and Final Fantasy XIV 1.0. Though XIV was turned around magnificently and that game is turning a miracle level profit.

rras1994

Nov 4, 2017
14M units for ME series as of July 2014. Across 3 games and 7 years. great numbers.
Metacritic for all 3 games above a 90
Books, comics, merch, the works

Andromeda?
Metacritic of 71
EA has reported none of the sales.
EA hasn't reported sales numbers for DAI either, and that's the most sucessful BioWare game they've ever had. EA just doesn't publish numbers anymore. EA have reported that MEA was financially sucessful in more than one Investor report, so I'm assuming it did fine.

Lucreto

Oct 25, 2017
No,

I think Mass Effect would have been shelved either way and no DLC was planned. Just get the game out and move on to Anthem.

Bioware's most successful game was inquisition yet the next game has minimal people working on it as they are all working on Anthem.

I also think people were overly critical of the game after the ending of ME3. Is it an amazing game? No it's a good game with a few design flaws but I was happy with it.

Steroyd

Oct 27, 2017
I'll get back to you with Destiny 2, if Destiny 3 releases and belly flops in sales right out of the gate.

eseqko

Oct 27, 2017
Metroid: Other M

Want an explanation? Tell me of another Nintendo First-Party game that you could find for $5 on Gamestop.