• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
OP
OP
viciouskillersquirrel

viciouskillersquirrel

Cheering your loss
Oct 25, 2017
Is it easy to motivate yourself?

Motivation only helps you get started. It wears off after the initial excitement has died down. You can not rely on motivation alone. After that, habits are the only thing that remains.

Do you need motivation to brush your teeth in the morning? To shower? To go to work? To sleep at night time? To eat three times a day? The answer is no - these things are just what you do to take care of yourself. Exercise has to be the same or you'll drop it the second bad weather, a late night, an early morning meeting, an injury or a mild cold interrupts your flow.

I can't tell you how many times I've started and stopped a regular exercise regime over the years because I relied on motivation alone. I kept getting to a certain point and losing all the progress I made when things got hard. It wasn't until I made a plan, set aside the time, changed my alarms and made the determination to show up every weekday dressed in my exercise gear and ready to go that I was able to make it a habit. After the first month, it got easier. By the end of the third, it didn't feel like I was making a special effort at all. By the sixth, it was like I'd been getting up early and exercising all my life.

It was consistent habits that made me put on the weight in the first place. I had to apply the same kind of unrelenting pressure in the other direction to take it off again.

Deleted member 13645

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I had back issues a few years back and put back on some of the weight i'd lost, so i'm finally at a stable enough point (or at least mentally motivated enough) to work on getting it back off. I've been using intermittent fasting and just eating one meal a day since that's easy for me. It also keeps away the temptation to eat out at work which more often than not would result in pretty unhealthy or high calorie meals.

I've lost 6lbs in the last 1.5 weeks which is pretty cool. I assume most of it is water weight at this point, but it's a really good feeling to see the weight dropping again and know i'm back on the right path. I forgot how much weight loss can improve mentality. Even when the changes aren't visible, just knowing that you're doing something feels good.

Deleted member 25600

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Steady downward trend continues. Got a little bumpy, but overall still on track.

5LKFtTh.png

eZipsis

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Current Weight
25/01/19 - 88.4

Previous
18/01/19 - 88.9
11/01/19 - 89.9
3/01/19 - 91.9kg

Slipped a few times this week, went back for seconds at dinner when I knew I was already full. I still think I'm on a steady pace though.

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
New weigh-in for me: 80.4kg

1.2kg down from last week. Since I started using Cronometer to track my calories 11 weeks ago, I've done 1400 a day on average and lost 14kg at a pretty steady 1.2-1.5ish a week. I'm going to start gradually increasing my calories now, since I've lost the bulk of the weight I wanted to lose and I'm ready to start eating a little more. I'm going to go up to 1600 a day starting next week, then up to 1800 two weeks later, and so on until I find my maintenance point (which I'm thinking is around 2800).

Last edited:

Skelatix

Oct 28, 2017
South Africa
Update 3

Previous Weight 138.7 kg
Current Weight 136.2 kg

Had a nice drop over last week, not entirely sure what I did differently but seems to have helped.

odbilal

Avenger
Jan 22, 2018
Update time!
98.6kg
This is usually the spot where I lose motivation and bounce back up. This time I want to make it into the 80s.

GoutPatrol

Oct 30, 2017
Update 2

Weight: 91.0 kg

So I guess I am still going down? I'm on vacation and sometimes that just means I'm not exercising as much as I should...

Adventureracing

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
Update time. 92.20Kg so still the same as last time (though I weighed 91.20kg yesterday). Overall the trend is slowly going down. All my lifts are still going up and my cardio is improving so thankfully it isn't impacting my training at all.

Bulletzen

Oct 30, 2017
*Update*
Previous weight 264lbs
Current weight is 262lbs

lost a whopping 2lbs lol! I'll gladly take it.

Oct 27, 2017
It's been a weird January in terms of weight loss. For almost a month I've cut a huge majority of junk food out of my diet, I've started eating smaller portions of much healthier food (eggs, vegetables, fish etc). I've upped my exercise, I'm running 5k a week at work, riding the bike 30-40 miles a week and doing at least 2 hours of badminton once a week.

It's a complete lifestyle shift, genuinely quite proud of myself. Total weight loss in almost 4 weeks? 3lbs........I mean I feel a bit better in myself but that's disappointing.

xerzewatt

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
01/22: 101.3 As expected. I cheated a few too many times. Still it seems my body fat ratio went down which is good news.

01/225: 101.4 again. My body fat went down again but I still have some bloat from my night out. At least I started acupuncture on my ears which should curb my appetite a bit.

OP
OP
viciouskillersquirrel

viciouskillersquirrel

Cheering your loss
Oct 25, 2017
It's been a weird January in terms of weight loss. For almost a month I've cut a huge majority of junk food out of my diet, I've started eating smaller portions of much healthier food (eggs, vegetables, fish etc). I've upped my exercise, I'm running 5k a week at work, riding the bike 30-40 miles a week and doing at least 2 hours of badminton once a week.

It's a complete lifestyle shift, genuinely quite proud of myself. Total weight loss in almost 4 weeks? 3lbs........I mean I feel a bit better in myself but that's disappointing.
Don't be disappointed. That's great progress. Keep that up and by the end of the year, you'll have lost 144lb. That's more than I weigh right now.

This challenge is about changing your life for the better. You're living the dream right now.

Rahvar

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Most Lost
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
100.4 kgs this morning. 0.5 from leaving obese BMI and three-digit weight behind me forever.

OP
OP
viciouskillersquirrel

viciouskillersquirrel

Cheering your loss
Oct 25, 2017
100.4 kgs this morning. 0.5 from leaving obese BMI and three-digit weight behind me forever.
That's amazing man. It's a milestone you should be proud of. Keep the updates going. I'm looking forward to seeing your progress.

As for the thread participants as a whole, we've lost over 120kg, which is more than my wife and I combined weigh.

Oct 27, 2017
Don't be disappointed. That's great progress. Keep that up and by the end of the year, you'll have lost 144lb. That's more than I weigh right now.

This challenge is about changing your life for the better. You're living the dream right now.

Thanks, that's kind.

I'm around the 94kg mark at the moment, if I can drop below 90kg for the first time in a decade that would be decent progress.

Oct 27, 2017
Update 2:
1/21 = 167
1/27 = 164

I am am skeptical that one of the two scales I have used are off. I dont think it's possible for me to have gone from 175 pounds down to 163 in a month and a half. Ill have to get a new scale to calibrate myself here. Same scale was used for the first two updates.

The most important part though, I do feel slimmer and way less bloated. Problem area is mainly the belly and love handles, but im sure that will go away over time.

negreenfield

Oct 25, 2017
12/31/18 - 197.2 lbs
1/7/19 - 195.2 lbs
1/14/19 - 195.2 lbs
1/21/19 - 193.2 lbs
1/28/19 - 194.0 lbs

Was an up and down weekend so retaining water most likely but I'm pretty sure I'll break below 193 and maybe 192 next Monday.

JAGMASK

Jan 3, 2018
Update 4:
Starting weight 1/1/2019: 256
Current weight 28/1/2019: 245

Gonna start updating on Mondays instead, as that makes more sense in my mind as a new week. Pretty happy so far.

Nov 8, 2017
Udpate 1

Jan 3 - 196 lbs
Jan 28 - 189 lbs

I also got my 5K run time down to 21:10 this morning. I was in the mid 23:00's earlier this month.

ZackieChan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Forgot to update last week.
Monday Jan 21 - 109.8 kg

Does anyone else struggle with night eating? Like wake up middle of the night and eat? I can be military strict with my diet during the day but once I fall asleep and wake up in the night it's like I have no control and grab a snack.
Build it into your diet plan?
Have healthy midnight snacks ready to go (I have these natural protein cookie things) and leave enough calories for it. Also, drink some sparkling water to fill your stomach with gas. Might do the trick!
Hit a big milestone for me today. Dropped below 110kg barrier.

Checking in at 109.8kg
Me too! Haven't been on a scale since hitting that last week, so we'll see.

Big G

Oct 27, 2017
1/8: 195.2 lbs
1/14: 186.8 lbs
1/21: 186.2 lbs
1/28: 184.8 lbs

Down about 1 1/2 pounds last week. Still strictly dieting and haven't gotten back to the gym yet. I think this will be the last week I can get away with that before I need to resume my exercise regiment...a month of clean livin' after eating & drinking like an ass for months is a good start (though I'll allow myself to indulge a little for the Super Bowl on Sunday!)

Oct 25, 2017
01/08: 154.4lbs
01/15: 154.4lbs
01/21: 152.2lbs
01/28: 152lbs

Stuck to my diet most of last week which was hard since it was shark week. Went out with friends yesterday and ate way too much though. I'm just happy I didn't gain.

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Sorry, I haven't updated in a while. I've been super busy and haven't had much free time to come on Era, much to my dismay! My last update was on the 16th of January, and I was 145lb, which was my target weight. My new target weight is 140lbs.

January 16: 145lbs
January 26: 142.4lbs

Chainshada

Oct 25, 2017
UPDATE 4:
Starting Weight: 95kg - 01/01/19
Last week: 91.3kg - 22/01/19
Current Weight: 90.4kg - 29/01/19

shnurgleton

Oct 27, 2017
Boston
I haven't been as diligent as I should posting updates here but here I go, with some updates based on what I find in my fitbit logs. Oh, I got the fitbit scale which has been helping a lot with keeping track and syncing

Sw 1/1 232 lb = 105. 2kg
Cw 1/29 223 lb = 101.1kg

This is the lightest I've been since spring of 2016 before I put on a bunch of Trump and booze weight

Last edited:

Chainshada

Oct 25, 2017
I have a couple of questions for anyone that knows more about losing weight as this is the first time I've ever stuck with it. I have some pain/discomfort when sitting in 1 position for more than say 45mins, never had it before. From a little searching I've found that it's apparently 1, or both, of 2 things. Firstly is losing weight from my butt giving me less padding when sitting. Secondly lack of protein causing damage to the muscles/ligaments in my butt/hips.

Since some people here have done this a few times, has anyone experienced this? Since I'm just following what I've read online, what I'm currently doing is upping my protein a bit, and secondly is some squats/lunges which supposedly help strengthen and pad my rear, but any better any advice would be appreciated.

OP
OP
viciouskillersquirrel

viciouskillersquirrel

Cheering your loss
Oct 25, 2017
I have a couple of questions for anyone that knows more about losing weight as this is the first time I've ever stuck with it. I have some pain/discomfort when sitting in 1 position for more than say 45mins, never had it before. From a little searching I've found that it's apparently 1, or both, of 2 things. Firstly is losing weight from my butt giving me less padding when sitting. Secondly lack of protein causing damage to the muscles/ligaments in my butt/hips.

Since some people here have done this a few times, has anyone experienced this? Since I'm just following what I've read online, what I'm currently doing is upping my protein a bit, and secondly is some squats/lunges which supposedly help strengthen and pad my rear, but any better any advice would be appreciated.
Where does it hurt? What have you been doing as far as diet/exercise go?

If you've been cutting very drastically, a sudden lack of protein in your diet might be your answer. Some lower calorie options for getting more protein into your diet are eggs, tins of tuna and yoghurt. If you're vegan, maybe look at introducing more chick peas or tofu. If you're having lots of trouble, you can supplement with protein shakes.

The other thing is to look at your posture. Your weight distribution suddenly changing can have some effect on how you stand, sit and walk. Have you looked at strengthening your core and back as well as your legs/glutes?

EDIT: One thing that has happened to me is that I wasn't allowing enough rest time between training days for my body to recover. Fatigue is a creeping, cumulative thing and you may not notice at first.

I switched from full body training over to a more focused split routine (i.e. separate upper, core, lower body days) recently and it's done wonders for some back discomfort I was experiencing because I wasn't allowing enough rest time.

Last edited:

Chainshada

Oct 25, 2017
It's on the bottom right side of my butt and the very top of my thigh, very isolated.I started losing weight in September, It hasn't been happening long, maybe a week at most and if I stand up and walk around for 1-2mins every half hour I don't get it at all. The pain isn't intense, maybe a 2-3/10, more discomfort than anything.

Exercise hasn't changed since I started, it's basically just work (I spend most of the day on my feet, some light lifting) + walking. 2 days ago I started doing squats and lunges to try to strengthen my glutes. I'm thinking of trying to even out my diet/weight for a week or so, as I've gone down 19.5kg in 5 months, so I'm not in a rush. Going to eat more chicken and pick up some Yoghurt next time I'm out.

OP
OP
viciouskillersquirrel

viciouskillersquirrel

Cheering your loss
Oct 25, 2017
It's on the bottom right side of my butt and the very top of my thigh, very isolated.I started losing weight in September, It hasn't been happening long, maybe a week at most and if I stand up and walk around for 1-2mins every half hour I don't get it at all. The pain isn't intense, maybe a 2-3/10, more discomfort than anything.

Exercise hasn't changed since I started, it's basically just work (I spend most of the day on my feet, some light lifting) + walking. 2 days ago I started doing squats and lunges to try to strengthen my glutes. I'm thinking of trying to even out my diet/weight for a week or so, as I've gone down 19.5kg in 5 months, so I'm not in a rush. Going to eat more chicken and pick up some Yoghurt next time I'm out.
Is it possible that you've got a bruise there or some joint pain? 20kg lost will have changed the way you walk, so it's possible you're using your muscles in new ways.

I'd book in a session with a physiotherapist.

Deleted member 25600

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Gonna have to revise my weight. Got some new scales to replace my busted set.

According to these I'm at 108.7kg. Bit of a shame I've "gained" 2kg, but I've dropped a belt notch and I'm noticing big changes so that's motivation to keep it up.

OP
OP
viciouskillersquirrel

viciouskillersquirrel

Cheering your loss
Oct 25, 2017

According to these I'm at 108.7kg. Bit of a shame I've "gained" 2kg, but I've dropped a belt notch and I'm noticing big changes so that's motivation to keep it up.
Don't feel bad - a belt notch is a battle won.

Just wait until you're forced to either buy new belts or drill new notches into your old ones.

ZackieChan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

1) new scale means it could be completely off - very possible you lost weight
2) while this is a weight loss thread, losing weight is the least useful metric. Measure your body with a measuring tape, measure body fat, etc.

We're close to the same weight, and while we can lose a bunch, we are also at a tipping point where we can probably gain a bunch of muscle to replace that weight. So the scale results will be less exciting, but body fat and swoleness/measurements/clothing fit will be great!

Deleted member 25600

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
1) new scale means it could be completely off - very possible you lost weight
2) while this is a weight loss thread, losing weight is the least useful metric. Measure your body with a measuring tape, measure body fat, etc.

We're close to the same weight, and while we can lose a bunch, we are also at a tipping point where we can probably gain a bunch of muscle to replace that weight. So the scale results will be less exciting, but body fat and swoleness/measurements/clothing fit will be great!
In this case I'm pretty certain the scale was wrong. A couple of the feet had fallen off 2 weeks ago and I don't think they were properly connecting to the sensors when I glued them back on.

Kanann

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
(kg) 73 to 77 again to 72 and then 76 week by week start to annoying me.
Where the hell is 69.

Need 65 before march tho, 96 to 75 (July - Oct 2018) I use normal fasting and counting cal.

Now from the start of 2019 I called it phase 2, trying 36-4x hours fasting and keto diet.
My body seem to have a lot of spare energy, so longer fasting has no effect like low sugar or anything negative yet, but if I want to go fitness for building more muscle or creative works I still need food, that's the annoying part, I don't need food if I just lazy around playing games.

xerzewatt

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
01/225: 101.4 again. My body fat went down again but I still have some bloat from my night out. At least I started acupuncture on my ears which should curb my appetite a bit.

01/31: 99 kg

Woohoo, I had a great week. For the first time in a long long time (about 6 years) I am under 100 kgs. Considering we had a birthday with lots of food and cake with the family, I have to congratulate myself for not letting go. Acupuncture does help a lot, even though I had to take them out the second day because sleeping with them is nigh impossible.

Also, our green card is approved and my wife got an offer from Harvard School of Medicine so yeah, great week!

BTW, I noticed that I am doing pretty well on the competition but my starting weight shows as 109.7 in the spreadsheet. It is the weight I started the weight loss process but that was back in 11/2018. I didn't lose much with my first program so I guess my starting weight for 2019 was about 108. If I am gonna win, I wanna win fair and square. 1 month = 9 kgs not bad at all.

eZipsis

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Current Weight
01/02/19 - 88.1

Previous
25/01/19 - 88.4
18/01/19 - 88.9
11/01/19 - 89.9
3/01/19 - 91.9kg

Not a lot of progress this week, but any loss is still a loss. Just have to work harder over the next week.

Magneto

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hey,

I've been reading this thread for months now, and i'm happy to share my results.

I've started weight lifting at 120kg / 264 lbs in May 2018, 3 times a week, and to eat good stuff (Removed everything "bad", added fruits, water, vegetables)
I'm now at 94kg / 207 lbs and i plan to lose 7 more kilos. I have "strong" shoulders so i can't go @ 80 kg because it would look really strange.

I feel physically great. Gained a lot of mass, my diabetes is totally under control. That's a great way to start 2019.

Next step for me : Figuring out how to lose the fat on my belly. I lost a ton of it already, but i feel like i'll have some remaining after losing my last 7 kilos.

Stay motivated, weightloss-era !

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
New weigh-in for me: 80.0kg

That's only a 400g loss, which I'm pretty disappointed with. I'm still counting calories, still doing about two hours of exercise a day between walking, weight-lifting and a spot of cardio here and there. I moved up from 1400 daily calories to 1600 this week, which should still be around a 1000 calorie deficit for me. I know it's just one of those things, a fluctuation caused by a change in my eating habits, and it'll probably even out over the next few weeks, but it's still hard to take. Oh well, I'll live. 400g is still a perfectly decent loss, but I wanted to see that number 7 on the scales :P

OP
OP
viciouskillersquirrel

viciouskillersquirrel

Cheering your loss
Oct 25, 2017
New weigh-in for me: 80.0kg

That's only a 400g loss, which I'm pretty disappointed with. I'm still counting calories, still doing about two hours of exercise a day between walking, weight-lifting and a spot of cardio here and there. I moved up from 1400 daily calories to 1600 this week, which should still be around a 1000 calorie deficit for me. I know it's just one of those things, a fluctuation caused by a change in my eating habits, and it'll probably even out over the next few weeks, but it's still hard to take. Oh well, I'll live. 400g is still a perfectly decent loss, but I wanted to see that number 7 on the scales :P
Remember the human body isn't a machine, so weight loss won't ever be exactly linear. Keep at it. It'll come.

I'm currently in the process of trying to put on muscle, so I'm aiming to gain weight. Thing is, I have been in the "bigger number = backward progress" mode for over a year, so seeing the number going up still makes me anxious until I remember that this is supposed to happen. Still, sometimes I lose weight and I question what I'm doing until I check my other measurements.

MrH

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
How effective are these portable wheels? My BPM tops out at about 100 whilst using it, and Google says I need around 130 for fat burning?

715Tfb7-HRL._SL1500_.jpg

Skelatix

Oct 28, 2017
South Africa
Update 4

Previous Weight 136.2 kg
Current Weight 137.3 kg

Slight bump in the road. Visited parents and it was a snack festival most of the time so regained some of the weight I had lost the previous week but not all of it thankfully.

odbilal

Avenger
Jan 22, 2018
New update!
97.8kg
Was a weird week. My weight stagnated throughout the week and yesterday I had some cake at work. The first sweets of the year. I expected a spike inmy weight because of water weight but it was alright.