• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Boxy Brown

Oct 27, 2017
Looks somewhat similar to the whole "Humans are scary" setup from Monster Inc, and yet another animated film that appears to have big-name celebrities just for the sake of having big-name celebrities.
I see nothing wrong with a star studded cast as long as they do a great job voicing the characters.

Anyways I liked the teaser.

Loxley

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I see nothing wrong with a star studded cast as long as they do a great job voicing the characters.

Anyways I liked the teaser.

If they do a good job, sure. I feel like it's usually a 50/50 split between film/TV actors who can turn in a great voice performance and those who can't, since it's a different skillset from performing on-camera.

Anyhoo, I've been watching the old Wallace & Gromit shorts on Amazon Video. I haven't watched them since I was a kid and man are these things timeless. All these years later they still make me chuckle, sometimes just because the animation is so charming.

Xe4

Oct 25, 2017
Repost from accidental post.
Big Hero 6 - Baymax Returns​
So I finally got around to watching the Big Hero 6 TV movie that permiered on the 20th. You can watch it if you have cable or just buy it on Amazon for $3. I thought the movie was pretty decent, and this TV premier is pretty decent too. If you liked Big Hero 6 as the movie, you'll probably end up liking this show as well. (Note: from this point on, I'll be referring to the TV movie as an episode, to avoid confusion with the 2014 movie). Interestingly enough, they're apparently looking to have season long arcs which this episode sets up pretty decently. The characters are the same as always, and they've mostly brought the entire cast back, with the exception of Khary Payton (Cyborg in Teen Titans) replacing Damon Wayans Jr. as Wasabi. As expected, he does a decent job.

The biggest change from the movie to the series is the move into 2D. I can't say I'm a biggest fan of the style. The backgrounds are really nice, but the characters are a bit outline heavy and their movement can be weird at times. It's ok, but it will probably take a while for anyone to get used to. Still, the action is nice, and the quips between the heroes is fun, which is what the creators seem to be pretty good at (see Kim Possible).

Screenshot_from_2017-11-24_12-01-55.png

Shown: The gang (minus Baymax of course) eating breakfast. The HD version is obviously less jaggy.

I'll be going into spoilers, so be aware, don't click on the tag if you don't want to be spoiled!
The episode starts fairly soon after the movie ended. Hiro is going to college to follow in his brother's footsteps, and Fred is trying to get the gang back together as super heroes, much to the chagrin of pretty much everyone else.

While exploring his brother's old lab, Hiro finds a card to bring back Baymax, as long as he can rebuild the body. Failing to run proper protocol, the robot gets away, because of course it does. It runs into Yama, the gangster from the film. Hiro runs into him too, and Yama first tries to throw him off a skyscraper, and then seeing as he's going to San Fransokyo Institute of Technology, he gets sent to steal what is initially thought to be a paperweight off of his professor's desk.

It goes wrong (of course), and Hiro and Fred, whom he had roped into helping him get captured by Yama, who has both the paper weight and Baymax's body of course. The rest of the crew, Honey Lemon, GoGo, and Wasabi, have to rescue Fred and Hiro, who then proceed to steal back. The paper weight thing and Baymax's body, but not before Yama could clone Baymax's design and make an army of killer robots (because of course). He uses those killer bots to steal back the paper weight thing which turns out to be a Sci-Fi device that amplifies the voltage and current going through any device.

This ends with the crew having to stop a runaway train with Hiro's aunt on board and with Baymax and Hiro having to fly into the upper troposphere and throw the device before it explodes (because of course).

Screenshot_from_2017-11-24_11-36-07.png

Shown: Device being thrown before it explodes (good arm Hiro!).

The show ends with the gang deciding to fight crime for real, and Hiro accepting that he's different than his brother was.
In general, if you liked Big Hero 6 or liked Kim Possible, definitely check out this series at some point.

Last edited:

Nelo Ice

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
My cable is out, so I'll be missing out on it. :<
:(. I'm watching it atm and the first 30 mins or so were nostalgia overload. That entry video they used as one of the first trailers was pure fan service. And good god did it give me all the feels. So many episodes coming back to me.

Protoman200X

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
N. Vancouver, BC, Canada
:(. I'm watching it atm and the first 30 mins or so were nostalgia overload. That entry video they used as one of the first trailers was pure fan service. And good god did it give me all the feels. So many episodes coming back to me.

I can't access Nick's website (it sends me to YTV.com when I try to go to their US site), so I'm out of luck with watching it. Not unless they will have it on repeat.

One running gags they had on the show was with Arnold's Grandmother celebrating a holiday in place of another (Thanksgiving on December 25th or Fourth of July on Halloween).

Nelo Ice

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I can't access Nick's website (it sends me to YTV.com when I try to go to their US site), so I'm out of luck with watching it. Not unless they will have it on repeat.

One running gags they had on the show was with Arnold's Grandmother celebrating a holiday in place of another (Thanksgiving on December 25th or Fourth of July on Halloween).
U-verse is listing another airing tomorrow otherwise I haven't seen any other repeats on the guide.

Choppasmith

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Beaumont, CA
Repost from accidental post.
Big Hero 6 - Baymax Returns
So I finally got around to watching the Big Hero 6 TV movie that permiered on the 20th. You can watch it if you have cable or just buy it on Amazon for $3. I thought the movie was pretty decent, and this TV premier is pretty decent too. If you liked Big Hero 6 as the movie, you'll probably end up liking this show as well. (Note: from this point on, I'll be referring to the TV movie as an episode, to avoid confusion with the 2014 movie). Interestingly enough, they're apparently looking to have season long arcs which this episode sets up pretty decently. The characters are the same as always, and they've mostly brought the entire cast back, with the exception of Khary Payton (Cyborg in Teen Titans) replacing Damon Wayans Jr. as Wasabi. As expected, he does a decent job.

The biggest change from the movie to the series is the move into 2D. I can't say I'm a biggest fan of the style. The backgrounds are really nice, but the characters are a bit outline heavy and their movement can be weird at times. It's ok, but it will probably take a while for anyone to get used to. Still, the action is nice, and the quips between the heroes is fun, which is what the creators seem to be pretty good at (see Kim Possible).

Screenshot_from_2017-11-24_12-01-55.png

Shown: The gang (minus Baymax of course) eating breakfast. The HD version is obviously less jaggy.

I'll be going into spoilers, so be aware, don't click on the tag if you don't want to be spoiled!
The episode starts fairly soon after the movie ended. Hiro is going to college to follow in his brother's footsteps, and Fred is trying to get the gang back together as super heroes, much to the chagrin of pretty much everyone else.

While exploring his brother's old lab, Hiro finds a card to bring back Baymax, as long as he can rebuild the body. Failing to run proper protocol, the robot gets away, because of course it does. It runs into Yama, the gangster from the film. Hiro runs into him too, and Yama first tries to throw him off a skyscraper, and then seeing as he's going to San Fransokyo Institute of Technology, he gets sent to steal what is initially thought to be a paperweight off of his professor's desk.

It goes wrong (of course), and Hiro and Fred, whom he had roped into helping him get captured by Yama, who has both the paper weight and Baymax's body of course. The rest of the crew, Honey Lemon, GoGo, and Wasabi, have to rescue Fred and Hiro, who then proceed to steal back. The paper weight thing and Baymax's body, but not before Yama could clone Baymax's design and make an army of killer robots (because of course). He uses those killer bots to steal back the paper weight thing which turns out to be a Sci-Fi device that amplifies the voltage and current going through any device.

This ends with the crew having to stop a runaway train with Hiro's aunt on board and with Baymax and Hiro having to fly into the upper troposphere and throw the device before it explodes (because of course).

Screenshot_from_2017-11-24_11-36-07.png

Shown: Device being thrown before it explodes (good arm Hiro!).

The show ends with the gang deciding to fight crime for real, and Hiro accepting that he's different than his brother was.
In general, if you liked Big Hero 6 or liked Kim Possible, definitely check out this series at some point.

Maybe is a mobile thing (browsing on my iPad) but your post has an impossible to read white on white look.

Just watched it. The animation style is really strange to me, but I really enjoyed it. Also, by Kim Possible mention, was there a cameo somewhere I didn't see, or are you talking about how it's the KP creators?

Xe4

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe is a mobile thing (browsing on my iPad) but your post has an impossible to read white on white look.

Just watched it. The animation style is really strange to me, but I really enjoyed it. Also, by Kim Possible mention, was there a cameo somewhere I didn't see, or are you talking about how it's the KP creators?
Sorry, I changed the color accidentily when I pasted from Google docs. I use dark theme so I didn't notice.

Fixing.
The standard for copy/pasting rich text is Ctrl+V keeps formatting and Ctrl+Shift+V drops formatting. XenForo respects this.
That'll help in the future. Thanks for the tip!

Cheerilee

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sorry, I changed the color accidentily when I pasted from Google docs. I use dark theme so I didn't notice.

Fixing.

That'll help in the future. Thanks for the tip!
There's also a little rectangular-eraser-looking "remove formatting" icon on the upper-right when you're posting or editing, which is very handy when you accidentally copy rich text. Just select the problem text, tap the eraser, and boom, it's normal text.

It only seems to be a problem with black text/white text on LightERA/DarkERA, because depending on the theme you're using, you can't readily see that you made a mistake.

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
I wasn't a big fan as a lot of people for season 5
First few were amazing but after that........

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
So I've been compiling a list of christmas cartoons and want to turn it into a Western Animation Advent Calendar, posting one cartoon each day with a sentence or two write up about it that will aim to get you to track down and try to watch and discuss about it. Gonna have some fun themed days in as well like Christmas Carol Sundays which will be one of the (many) Christmas Carol adaptations and Lump of Coal wednesday/thursdays where I share some of the worst christmas specials around. Should be a mix of classics, fresh new cartoons and obscure treasures from all over.

Problem is. Don't know where I'm going to post it. I'm not able to create a new thread yet (Don't think i can until the 27th of December with Era's new rules, and most of the calendar will be gone then.) Would it be ok to post these Advent Calender postings here? Or should I go into that adopt-a-user thread and try to use that as a starting point (I don't know if etcetera has one?) Would you all be interested in a Cartoony Advent Calendar by the way?

Xe4

Oct 25, 2017
So I've been compiling a list of christmas cartoons and want to turn it into a Western Animation Advent Calendar, posting one cartoon each day with a sentence or two write up about it that will aim to get you to track down and try to watch and discuss about it. Gonna have some fun themed days in as well like Christmas Carol Sundays which will be one of the (many) Christmas Carol adaptations and Lump of Coal wednesday/thursdays where I share some of the worst christmas specials around. Should be a mix of classics, fresh new cartoons and obscure treasures from all over.

Problem is. Don't know where I'm going to post it. I'm not able to create a new thread yet (Don't think i can until the 27th of December with Era's new rules, and most of the calendar will be gone then.) Would it be ok to post these Advent Calender postings here? Or should I go into that adopt-a-user thread and try to use that as a starting point (I don't know if etcetera has one?) Would you all be interested in a Cartoony Advent Calendar by the way?
You could do either or both. Do the Adopt a User program, which SigmasonicX posted, or post them here. Whichever works best for you!

Good idea by the way.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
Yo what's up with the animation in the new Big Hero 6 show? It feels pretty stiff, stiffer than the usual fare o Disney XD

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Alright I've got the list of all the cartoons I'll be using for the advent calendar, compiled a nice splash art for the first 7 days. Now all that needs to be done is write an intro, what to expect and then write up a few quick lines for the first day. Then repeat writing light descriptions and finishing out the splash art for the rest of the month. I'll create my own thread for it and will post weekly updates of the calendar in this one. Expect me to post in the adopt-a-user thread with day 1 tomorrow (and of course, whoever starts the thread will need to post it on December 1st as well).

Penguin

The Mushroom Kingdom Knight
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Seems like a novel idea, curious to see who (if anyone) picks it up

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/h...s-developing-all-star-animated-series-1062228

'Ninja Turtles' star Rob Paulsen, Batman icon Kevin Conroy, '90s Wolverine Cal Dodd and fan favorite director Andrea Romano are on board for 'The Gang's All Here.'

Rob Paulsen, the prolific voice actor known for Animaniacs and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, has assembled a team to develop an animated series called The Gang's All Here. On the call sheet are longtime Batman voice actor Kevin Conroy, as well as Cal Dodd, known for playing Wolverine in the '90s X-Men: The Animated Series. Also on board is director Andrea Romano, whose work on Batman: the Animated Series helped establish her as one of the most respected animation directors in the field.

The Gang's All Here centers on an animal cast of actors as they star in their own films and navigate the pitfalls of the entertainment industry. The team is conceiving of the comedic series to target adults and adolescents.

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I've made my post for the Advent Calendar. Should be right here

So you want to make a post, but can't? or the Adopt-a-user program

If anyone can post it I'll appreciate it, and I'll try to nab the second post to use as a Table of Contents post that I can compile links to all the day posts on.

On an unrelated note, can someone explain to me why we are getting 2 Animated Gnome movies next March and both of them look awful? Did Gnomeo and Juliet really need a sequel now of all times as well?

SchrodingerC

Oct 25, 2017
I am so annoyed freakin' Illumination Entertainment is the animation studio that gets to make the Dr. Seuss films. Those hacks already ruined the Lorax and are now currently making the Grinch with TCitH in the pipeline.

SchrodingerC

Oct 25, 2017
What was wrong with the Lorax?

Get ready for a list

While the Lorax was very nice visually, the story was a complete mess of the original's message. Things like turning the wise, hippie-like Lorax into a potential murderer that complains a lot, giving the onceler a face, thus negating the onceler as a 'what-if' avatar for the viewer, a freakin' Captain Planet villain that acts as the obvious big bad, made the onceler overly sympathetic, the pointless additional characters, bland pop songs, trying to frame corporations as EVIL when ahem:
lorax_1.jpg
, plus the evil air corporation is probably keeping the preachy little shits alive anyways, the poignant scenes of each animal being sent away got squished into one short scene ,disregarding the original ambiguous yet potentially hopeful ending for a chase scene and a saccharine mush ending, which makes 'UNLESS' pointless, bad comedic moments, the plot is set in motion because nameless boy is horny or something, and finally, being as subtle as 90's environmental movie.
Look, I know turning the book into a feature length film was probably difficult due to the story being rather short and they needed to lengthen it, but the way Illumination adapted it was tacky and hypocritical.

Xe4

Oct 25, 2017
I got back from watching The Breadwinner.
Writing up my thoughts now, but it's a really good film. Quite a bit different from Cartoon Saloon's previous stuff but every bit as good.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017

Xe4

Oct 25, 2017
Awesome stuff about Twelve Forever.
It'd be awesome to have an Infinity Train show too.
Netflix, CN, anyone!

Maximo

Oct 25, 2017

apocat

Oct 27, 2017
I got back from watching The Breadwinner.
Writing up my thoughts now, but it's a really good film. Quite a bit different from Cartoon Saloon's previous stuff but every bit as good.

Awsome! The trailer is beautiful. Looking forward to reading your thoughts on it!