• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Nightbird

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Germany

Video by Schaffrillas Production.

It basically goes into the critism of the MCU as mindless or samey movies. And argues that something like the MCU has never been done before. It's a Franchise, technically a TV show with movie length episodes, that keeps characters consistent and grounded, even when interpreted by many different directors with their own vision.

The video goes into much more detail, but that's basically the gist of it.

Deleted member 135

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The concept of the MCU isn't particularly unique. The Universal Monsters films of the 30s, 40s, and 50s keep a coherent universe going with consistent characrers.

As did the Showa Era of Toho kaiju films.

Hell, the X-Men films did too (even if they were generally bad).

The MCU isn't unique, just executed the best so far.

Penguin

The Mushroom Kingdom Knight
Oct 25, 2017
New York
I feel like a lot of things can be said about the MCU, but being taken for granted... doesn't come to mind.

lobdale

Oct 25, 2017
They're the McDonald's of movies, you can go to any one of them and know exactly what you're going to get and know that it's something that you're probably going to like because just like franchisees they're all controlled by corporate to have that inoffensive and consistent taste.

Oct 31, 2017
The concept of the MCU isn't particularly unique. The Universal Monsters films of the 30s, 40s, and 50s keep a coherent universe going with consistent characrers.

As did the Showa Era of Toho kaiju films.

Hell, the X-Men films did too (even if they were generally bad).

The MCU isn't unique, just executed the best so far.

The X-men films literally hit a reboot button after the third film...

Burrman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I always remind my son how lucky he is to get to grow up with these movies. I grew up with crappy Batman movies.

shnurgleton

Oct 27, 2017
Boston
it's a tv show with months or years between episodes, which is a long time and doesn't afford for significant character development

Apr 9, 2019
CLT
I'll agree with this. It's pretty much the most incredible thing to happen to a fandom of intellectual property from a different format. We could all only hope for our favorite things to translate in to sprawling, incredibly well-conceived film universes. And given the way that the board rooms of Hollywood seem to be incapable of reproducing it with other series, it's a gem.

vaderise

Oct 30, 2017
Antalya / Turkey
MCU isn't only good because of the cinematic universe it started. People love it because Kevin Feige and MCU directors took the characters people love from the comics and adapted them to modern audience with %100 success. People who were already invested in these characters loved the formula so as the newcomers alas everyone was warmed to the comic book concepts like inter-connected stories featuring the same characters.

Ichthyosaurus

Banned
Dec 26, 2018
The MCU isn't perfect, it has numerous flaws but it is a franchise of merit no movie studios have accomplished. Every single studio who tried failed miserably. Meanwhile the MCU grows stronger and more stable in each phase. Movie studios have failed to replicate the Avengers formula once, while Marvel does it repeatedly - using their game in each sequel.

skipgo

Dec 28, 2018
I'd say it's more about execution than it being a completely novel idea. Even if it wasn't the first, the marvel movies will always be remembered as a reference for this kind of storytelling.
I still wish more of the movies took some chances (like Ragnarok did), but I think the general quality level is quite high for the sheer amount of movies they put out at this point.

higemaru

Nov 30, 2017
It's impressive that they're 22 movies deep with no sign of stopping. I thought for sure it would have died off in 2015.

Would be nice if the movies were more distinct though. They're all very safe and samey, even Ragnarok just felt like another Marvel film. I would love to see Wright's version of Ant Man. Or something actually weird, not focus tested weird.

Nov 18, 2017
I'm looking forward to them falling out of popularity so we gets some original IP blockbusters back. I know that's not remotely how it works as they're a studio, but still.

StarsTurnCold

Avenger
Apr 30, 2018
Will watch later since I'm at work but it's really incredible what they've pulled off. Sure they weren't the first but to have executed it this well, on this big of a scope, with such consistent high quality and success when so many things could've easily gone wrong (see other studio's attempts) is truly amazing and they may be taken for granted in that sense.

Mr Satan

Oct 25, 2017
Nope I take them as they are.

Shallow but they give people pleasure, so whatever floats your boat man

WrenchNinja

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
A tv show would have actually showed Wanda and Vision buidling a relationship. Which is why I guess they're getting a tv show to do that, cause the movies sure couldn't be bothered to do it.

Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere in Zanarkand
Yeah, I've definitely taken them as granted considering they release them whenever they want.

Now, taking them for granted - that's a different story. Many of us are aware that nothing has ever been done quite like this and on this scale.

plié

Alt account
Banned
Jan 10, 2019
Marvel Hype getting real out of hand lately. The movie should come out, so everyone can finally bust a nut.

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I feel like the MCU is incredibly ambitious in scope even if the movies sometimes feel formulaic in plot. There's just so dang many of them and they put the right amount of planning in to make sure they all fit together. I pray we get more projects like this going forward.

Pacify

Oct 30, 2017
I think the YouTube video essay format just isn't for me, but a lot of the content seems poorly edited and he beings to endlessly ramble by the middle. I haven't seen anyone serious suggest that if it wasn't for the MCU people would be watching art films. The video starts off with a bunch of these "people are saying" claims, but by the numbers aren't these films wildly commercially successful, review well, audience scores are always high, people love these characters and include them in multiple aspects of their lives (costume sales probably back this up), etc. All that suggests that the MCU is getting the recognition he believes it deserves.

It was essentially Passion of the Christ in the theater I was at weeks after release for the "I don't want to go" scene (myself included.) There's going to be a lot of contrarians and people who these films don't appeal to but creating a false narrative like this seems harmful. A group that allows this persecuted majority idea to flow freely seems perfect for more harmful ideas. I guess look at the hate Brie Larson gets for being "anti man" to back that up.

Going back to the video essay format, him ending the video on that overly sentimental "these are my heroes 🥺", makes it harder to critique the video and just adds to why I don't like the format.

Deleted member 32374

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 10, 2017
We haven't. MCU has a giant prescience on this site.

Also, I disagree completely with the video, I don't even need to watch it. People going insane in the previews (although a few where tongue in cheek jokes).....

No one is taking shit for granted.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
The correct term isn't TV show, it's Serials. Or more an evolution on them. They used to be one of the draws to get people to the movies on a regular basis. Not only were you seeing the latest movie, you were also going to see the next part of the Batman and Robin adventure, or any number of other thing.

The_hypocrite

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Flyover State
🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
No.

I doubt anything about the MCU is taken for granted. Look at the BO results, all the content that's generated to explain everything about it, all the threads that are made in ERA. That's a dumb ass video based on a false premise.

WrenchNinja

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
"Black Panther has a more engaging character arc in Civil War than his own movie"

Total nonsense. His arc is just boring ass revenge is bad story in Civil War versus reconciling his duties as a King and a black man when his kingdom have largely ignored the pain and suffering that black people have suffered through out the world in Black Panther.

House_Of_Lightning

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Tv format is just that, on tv, before now the idea of being able to replicate that formula successfully in movie theatres would have been laughable. It's not an easy accomplishment, everyone who has tried has fallen to pieces.

I give them props for it for sure. But I've always felt that the demarcation between TV and cinema has been largely artificial. Like Spielberg getting mad at Netflix films getting rave reviews and being considered "proper" movies.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Truly mankind's greatest achievement. Praise Feige.

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
It's never been done before in that it's like the TV format that's been in existence for 50 years?
This was never done before.

There are big differences in budgets and story telling structure for shows made for TV and those made for movies.

There are stark differences between theatrical releases and tv releases for the same show.

With MCU you get the same quality of a movie combined with the long form storytelling of a TV show.

Caja 117

Oct 25, 2017
The next team film after the third is a re-casted prequel that literally reboots the established continuity.

Which is the opposite of the MCU building one giant saga like they have
How so does Xmen : first class reboot the continuity? when the recast are shown to be the younger version of each characters based on what we saw in day of our future past? when First Class has literally the same opening as the first Xmen movie.

Cuburger

Oct 28, 2017
It's never been done before in that it's like the TV format that's been in existence for 50 years?
But much TV wasn't serialized or as serialized as shows have been for the last decade or so. Many shows were much more episodic and stand alone, sort of like most movies are.

The MCU also is doing serialized storytelling over two hours that is telling a discrete story while developing a cast of characters that can be wildly different and films that can seem completely tonally incompatible with different genre influences. The main character in one movie can be a supporting character in another movie and a bunch of movie leads can come together to an ensemble film where the villain gets to act as yhe protagonist for the story. Downplay it all you want, but it's done at a scale that is pretty unprecedented.

It kind of proves the point of the video if people don't even grasp what they are doing to try to properly criticize it as the same thing that's been done hundreds of times already.