Ichthyosaurus

Banned
Dec 26, 2018
I give them props for it for sure. But I've always felt that the demarcation between TV and cinema has been largely artificial. Like Spielberg getting mad at Netflix films getting rave reviews and being considered "proper" movies.

I agree with you about that. Now days I prefer tv over film, since the technology's progressed where the gap between the two has blurred.

EloquentM

Oct 25, 2017
most times the titles to your work are just as or more important than the content of the work itself.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
I think the YouTube video essay format just isn't for me, but a lot of the content seems poorly edited and he beings to endlessly ramble by the middle. I haven't seen anyone serious suggest that if it wasn't for the MCU people would be watching art films. The video starts off with a bunch of these "people are saying" claims, but by the numbers aren't these films wildly commercially successful, review well, audience scores are always high, people love these characters and include them in multiple aspects of their lives (costume sales probably back this up), etc. All that suggests that the MCU is getting the recognition he believes it deserves.

It was essentially Passion of the Christ in the theater I was at weeks after release for the "I don't want to go" scene (myself included.) There's going to be a lot of contrarians and people who these films don't appeal to but creating a false narrative like this seems harmful. A group that allows this persecuted majority idea to flow freely seems perfect for more harmful ideas. I guess look at the hate Brie Larson gets for being "anti man" to back that up.

Going back to the video essay format, him ending the video on that overly sentimental "these are my heroes šŸ„ŗ", makes it harder to critique the video and just adds to why I don't like the format.

This is a good analogy, it's like Christians still clinging to the idea that they're a persecuted group, why? Because not everyone caters to them or believes the same thing they do. People hate to admit they're the dominant majority, of course they'll take all the perks that come with it while still declaring themselves the small, indie rebels fighting the system.

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2017
How so does Xmen : first class reboot the continuity? when the recast are shown to be the younger version of each characters based on what we saw in day of our future past? when First Class has literally the same opening as the first Xmen movie.

Mystique's an X-men, for one.

The third movie was critically panned and the next team film was a re-casted "soft reboot"; the MCU just hasn't done that in it's overall narrative building.

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
The X-men films literally hit a reboot button after the third film...
The next team film after the third is a re-casted prequel that literally reboots the established continuity.
Did you stop watching the X-Men movies after First Class? Literally the next movie in the series has the cast from 1-3 in it. If First Class was intended as a reboot they undid that reboot in the sequel.

Deleted member 32374

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 10, 2017
This is a good analogy, it's like Christians still clinging to the idea that their a persecuted group, why? Because not everyone caters to them or believes the same thing they do. People hate to admit they're the dominant majority, of course they'll take all the perks that come with it while still declining themselves the small, indie rebels fighting the system.

I see this on Era all the time. MCU Era definitely checks these boxes.

Oct 31, 2017
Did you stop watching the X-Men movies after First Class? Literally the next movie in the series has the cast from 1-3 in it. If First Class was intended as a reboot they undid that reboot in the sequel.

All that was done because as a soft reboot. They didn't "undo" it, they kept the younger cast until the last movie.

Oct 29, 2017
unprecedentedness isn't special really, especially if overall it isn't super interesting
Given the box office sales and the four hundred weekly threads these movies continue to have, I'd say a lot of people seem to find the movies compelling.

I should also add that the premise of the video is pretty weak, I don't think people take these films for granted. Even the people that dislike them never shut the fuck up about it.

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
super succesful
reviews OK
makes lots of money

somehow they are taken for granted

i think this whole MCU persecution thing is the reverse of "release the snyder cut!!" for the mcu

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
mark my words -- one day they'll find a way to bring Dragon Ball to movie theaters correctly, and it'll be the biggest thing ever.

TheFuzz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The concept of the MCU isn't particularly unique. The Universal Monsters films of the 30s, 40s, and 50s keep a coherent universe going with consistent characrers.

As did the Showa Era of Toho kaiju films.

Hell, the X-Men films did too (even if they were generally bad).

The MCU isn't unique, just executed the best so far.

The Universal films didn't have the characters interacting so much as their apart of the same "world." The X-Men films are a trilogy with a connection to the other trilogy.

I don't see how any of those are anywhere near the level of the MCU. The MCU is absolutely unique in its level of connectivity and expanse.

Lunchbox-

Nov 2, 2017
bEast Coast
all the movies are pretty shallow content wise, but character driven

RDJ's charisma elevated the universe and everyone fed off the tone he set. Once he's gone, the MCU will fade off slowly.

Mass_Pincup

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The MCU was everything I hoped to see growing u^p. A big, coherent cinematic universe with many characters interracting (or not) in said universe.

I just wished it was better.

ReiGun

Nov 15, 2017
Billions of dollars at the box office.
Adored by millions.
Mountains of essays, videos, and threads singing its praises and analyzing/defending the films.
Damn near every blockbuster and franchise of the last 8 years has been compared to it, usually unfavorably.

"Taken for granted?" Yeah, okay.

Ichthyosaurus

Banned
Dec 26, 2018
The concept of the MCU isn't particularly unique. The Universal Monsters films of the 30s, 40s, and 50s keep a coherent universe going with consistent characrers.

Perhaps, but they are outside Hollywood.

X-men never did ensembles as good as the MCU, never reached the financial or critical heights of the MCU and they have a worse track record in making movies. It's like Russian Roulette with them while with Marvel you know any movie they'll make will be a fun ride.

Which in itself makes them unique in Hollywood.

Yasuke

Oct 25, 2017
I think this argument is pretty nonsensical. The MCU is the biggest thing in entertainment right now, barring maybe Game of Thrones.

But lol at comparing the X films to the MCU. Only thing they have in common are they're both comic book properties. Beyond that, the X films are a single franchise that failed to maintain a consistent timeline past the third entry. To the point that their most successful character frequently roasts them about it.

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
I see this aspect constantly brought up though; it's why so many people know Kevin Feige's name for instance. Even outside of the internet I see people talk about the "accomplishment" that the MCU is.

I don't personally find it all that amazing; it's done pretty well but we are talking about fairly shallow characters who mostly don't even lead normal lives that we see and just show up to do superhero things.

Many epic book series manage more, and more in depth characters intertwining in far more complex ways.

So while the MCU is cool... it's just a series of superhero films in the end, with characters who crack jokes within minutes of watching their loved one's die... I don't know about "mindless" but these movies aren't terribly mindful.

higemaru

Nov 30, 2017
Perhaps, but they are outside Hollywood.

X-men never did ensembles as good as the MCU, never reached the financial or critical heights of the MCU and they have a worse track record in making movies. It's like Russian Roulette with them while with Marvel you know any movie they'll make will be a fun ride.

Which in itself makes them unique in Hollywood.
...Universal is Hollywood. Unless he was talking about Hammer Horror.

Financial success isn't important. Is Avatar the greatest movie of all time because it grossed the most?

Thor: The Dark World

gutshot

Oct 25, 2017
Toscana, Italy
If anything, it is the opposite. The amount of discussion and attention given to these films is way out of proportion to what they deserve.

Caja 117

Oct 25, 2017
Mystique's an X-men, for one.

The third movie was critically panned and the next team film was a re-casted "soft reboot"; the MCU just hasn't done that in it's overall narrative building.
Aside from Mistique (who is a shape-shifter btw), Who was recasted in the Xmen after last stand? (not to mention they recasted Hulk in the MCU) Magento and Professor X were shown to reprise their role in Xmen Days of our future past alongside Scott Summers and Jean Gray, and all the while in the original Xmen trilogy it was never shown that Mystique was never an Xmen, at best you can say it was reckoned, just like they reckoned the infinity gauntlet in the MCU.

Yes, while First Class is sort of trying to part ways from Last stands awfulness, but they also kept it in the same universe taking liberties with a backstory we were never really showed.like originally SG stated that MCU just have done it better than previous franchises have tried to, including the Xmen.

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
All that was done because as a soft reboot. They didn't "undo" it, they kept the younger cast until the last movie.
So they brought back the cast and explicitly positioned First Class as happening before the first three movies because it was a reboot. Got it.

It was weird when they rebooted Star Wars with The Phantom Menace too.

Ichthyosaurus

Banned
Dec 26, 2018
...Universal is Hollywood. Unless he was talking about Hammer Horror.

Financial success isn't important. Is Avatar the greatest movie of all time because it grossed the most?

Thor: The Dark World

I meant the Toho kanji films, the Universal monster movies were definitely an earlier attempt to what Marvel's doing. In this respect the MCU modernised their idea, except using super-heroes instead of monsters.

Financial success is a key to being important, but the MCU has left a cultural footprint larger than Avatar.

WrenchNinja

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Cumulatively over the years? Of course.

Biggest thing at present, though? Nah, though Pokemon is undoubtedly up there.
Not sure what you mean? Like it is still a franchise in the present. Go made 800m last year. Let's Go sold 10 million copies. The TCG and anime are still going strong. Detective Pikachu and Sword and Shield are out this year. PokƩmon is the biggest entertainment franchise in the world, it's made the most money and somehow just keeps trucking along making even more money even when people ignore it or think it's a fad. Not that I'm saying youre doing that or calling it that.

Yasuke

Oct 25, 2017
Not sure what you mean? Like it is still a franchise in the present. Go made 800m last year. Let's Go sold 10 million copies. The TCG and anime are still going strong. Detective Pikachu and Sword and Shield are out this year. PokƩmon is the biggest entertainment franchise in the world, it's made the most money and somehow just keeps trucking along making even more money even when people ignore it or think it's a fad. Not that I'm saying youre doing that or calling it that.

I didn't say it wasn't a franchise at present.

I said I don't think it's a bigger property than the MCU is at this moment in time, while arguing it'd undoubtedly be up there. My meaning was clear.

LosDaddie

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Longwood, FL
Fuck this video's premise.

Consumers are literally in the midst of cinematic movie history with Endgame releasing soon.

What the MCU has done & is still doing is unprecedented in film.

BWoog

Oct 27, 2017
So I just rewatched Infinity War as I'm seeing Endgame today and let me tell you, I fucking cannot stand the "No stakes!!!" arguments about this one.

Here are the following emotional moments that people seem to just glance over:
- Thor watches his brother, best friend, and half his race die, which results in him having PTSD, shaking as he begins crying in front of Rocket to get his new hammer
-Scarlet Witch kills Vision, as he says "You can never hurt me. Its ok. Its ok." and she proceeds to blow him up....only for her to watch him have his brain ripped out of his head after being revived by Thanos. That's some heavy shit. She had to kill the love of her life for nothing.
-Spider-Man, a fucking child, feels himself dying and tries desperately to stave off death, crying how much he doesn't want to go

And then half of the universe dies. That's rough and to just toss it all away by saying "Oh whatever they'll be back."

Tarot Deck

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I think he needs to learn the meaning of "taking for granted".

It's the most successful movie franchise in history.

Gentlemen

Oct 25, 2017
Other takes by this youtuber:

Captain Marvel is Painfully Average (8:53)
2009: The Year Animated Films Peaked (8:10)

Is this video also satire/parody?

QuantumZebra

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Thank you.

The Feige/MCU worship is getting a little nutty around here. Have some people in another thread saying he's better than Kathleen Kennedy.

I still can't wait for Endgame*

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
I find the MCU to be a fantastic achievement in film making. It's amazing how they pulled off multiple movies and TV shows, all connected in the same universe, over 10+ years, with the quality remaining as high as it has and the scale it's grown to.

As a comic book fan, it's been amazing seeing these characters come to life on the big screen, in big budget blockbuster movies and has been better than I ever imagined. Can't think of any long running movie series that has done it as well as the MCU.

Disney and Marvel Studio's deserves all the success it's had so far.

Timbuktu

Oct 25, 2017
It is about the execution. How so many others fall flat on the face trying to do their own 'MCU' should make it obvious how consistently good these movies have been. There is no guarantee that this run will keep going.