subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I mean... yes? I hope no one actually believes it's the quality and fame of the source material that's driving these movies. The point is, with the amount of cogs and stupid executive hierarchies in Hollywood, something like this shouldn't be possible. We're celebrating creatives who've managed to make this work more than anything else.

it is possible. y'all act like this was the most insurmountable task to ever exist.

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
If you have followed comic book movies for so long then you would know that pulling off consistently good comic book movies is not an easy task. There are multitudes of things that could go wrong. You may not get the right actors, the right directors, the right studio, corporate meddling, poor script, lousy special effects, bad marketing, bad screenplay etc.

For every Dark Knight you would get, you would get stuff like Green Lantern, Johah Hex and The Spirit. Even within franchises, you would get a couple of good ones then suddenly a movie that dips in quality greatly. You would get Blade 1-2, then Blade Trinity. You would get Spider Man 1-2, then Spider Man 3. X Men 1-2, X Men.... First Class/DOFP then Apocalypse.

The franchise consistency in the MCU has been astonishing. More astonishing has been the long term investment. This stuff SHOULDN'T even be possible in the big screen. The scope of stuff like Infinity War and presumably Endgame is beyond any other comic book movie that we have ever seen. It's not just the storyline but the amount of characters they have put into the movie. And EVERY SINGLE actor is near A list celebrity, even side characters like Benicio Del Toro as the collector. Then you got directors and producers who are super passionate about the projects and don't stray from their long term vision. Then you have the perfect storm of being owned by Disney which allows them to have a massive capital on these movies which allows them to make movies with budgets close to $500 million.

It really is the perfect storm for a franchise. They have the talent, the vision, the money, the marketing and the fanbase to make this work. Any one of these things could have caused the whole thing to collapse but damn it they stuck to their guns EVEN when the starting was rocky. Incredible Hulk, Thor and Cap 1 were not excellent movies IMO but you could tell they were building to something larger. And once Avengers came... everything changed. After that the average quality of the MCU movie increased dramatically in my eyes and now we are reaching peaks with IW and Endgame yet again.

It's crazy to think how for we have come. People give MCU movies a shit time and yes they can be a bit formulaic, look a certain way or pander to a broader audience but you cant deny the level of consistency they have achieved in 22 movies. It is a herculean task especially when other franchises go two movies then crater on the third even among super hero movies. So many cinematic universes have started and failed right from the get go. MCU has now overtaken Star Wars WW as THE dominant movie franchise of the world which just speaks volumes by itself. With IW and Endgame it really feels like comic books come to life and the biggest spectacle possible without sacrificing the smaller character moments.

I don't know what else to say other than you have to be a true pessimist to not at least appreciate what the folks over at Marvel have accomplished.

Azuran

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
it is possible. y'all act like this was the most insurmountable task to ever exist.

lol it was. Movies and Hollywood have existed for how long yet come how it took until 2008 to get something like the MCU?

The way some of you delusional people try to downplay the achievements of Marvel Studios is both pathetic and sad lol

Rockstar

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
US
morton-lossy.gif

CenaToon

Oct 25, 2017
If kevin Feige 10 years ago would told all those youtubers that Iron Man, Captain America and fucking Thor will build a strong cinematic universe and will be mayor Draws than SUPERMAN AND BATMAN, those same youtubers that "takes for granted" the MCU would have made a video saying Kevin Feige is a Lunatic.

Fuck that. The MCU has earned this spot.

THOR IS A MAYOR DRAW THAN SUPERMAN. Think about that for a second.

goldenpp73

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
I feel this only really applies to more recent movies. More than half of the MCU barely feels attached at all. Stuff like all 3 Iron man movies, the first 2 thor movies, the first 2 captain America movies, Ant man, etc, mostly feel like their own thing with really loose ties. It wasn't until more recently that I felt it became kind of needed to see each movie to follow the others well. Maybe I'm alone though.

I do love how it's been going though.

Amathene

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I feel this only really applies to more recent movies. More than half of the MCU barely feels attached at all. Stuff like all 3 Iron man movies, the first 2 thor movies, the first 2 captain America movies, Ant man, etc, mostly feel like their own thing with really loose ties. It wasn't until more recently that I felt it became kind of needed to see each movie to follow the others well. Maybe I'm alone though.

I do love how it's been going though.
You're not wrong. Phase 1 movies feel more disconnected than Phase 2 and 3 because, as I understand it, the goal for Phase 1 was to get to Avengers 1. They just had to make sure that each of the solo films leading up to A1 were strong enough to generate enough interest for A1. Post A1 is when they really started to focus on fleshing out a more connected narrative. I would say that Winter Soldier established the "Marvel template" so to speak.

Skux

Oct 26, 2017
I don't take it for granted.

Every MCU film is an absolute spectacle and an incredible production.

As someone with some experience in film (nowhere near the level of this blockbuster) it's a mammoth enough effort just to make a single indie film.

My mind explodes at the thought of coordinating this entire film universe. Scheduling all the stars and production team. Booking all the shooting locations. Moving gear, lights, sound, catering. Makeup. Extras. Costumes. Post production and effects. Music. Marketing and distribution. All of this is planned years in advance and then executed by thousands of talented people.

The entire mechanism is its own Marvel, and it shows in the audiences and fans that flock to see every release, and the dedication and love they have for these stories and characters.

It's bigger than Star Wars, Harry Potter and Fast & Furious. That is not an easy thing to do.

Dragon's Game

Alt account
Banned
Apr 1, 2019
Isn't there limitations to the MCU. the inherent structure, formula, the role of the producers. It has many great advantages but disadvantages in that it eliminates any idea of "Auteurship" in these films, see why Edgar Wright left the production of Ant-Man

they are great films, but the lack of auteurship is the reason they are not on the level of something like this, and probably never will be

91zBlQ1iqoL._RI_.jpg

ArtVandelay

User requested permanent ban
Banned
May 29, 2018
We truly are undeserving of our corporate overlords' benevolence. Disney is definitely not revered enough.