• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What's the Best 97?

• Super Mario Galaxy 2

Votes: 381 16.6%
  • Grand Theft Auto V

Votes: 192 8.4%
  • The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Votes: 1,205 52.5%
  • Super Mario Odyssey

Votes: 217 9.5%
  • Red Dead Redemption 2

Votes: 299 13.0%

• Total voters

Lynx_7

Oct 25, 2017
Galaxy 2 by a considerable margin. I'm a bit more fond of the first Mario Galaxy due to its novelty and better presentation, but Galaxy 2 is the most mechanically polished and well designed 3D platformer I've ever played. Fantastic OST and art direction too. It's just a hard game to top.

GTA V is fun but like most Rockstar games it doesn't resonate with me that much. BOTW is really good too but not as tightly designed as Galaxy 2 and I found it too repetitive and predictable after a while, without a strong questline to really hold it together. Haven't played the other 2 yet.

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
Of those, Odyssey. I feel like I should like Galaxy 2 the most, because it has more platforming challenge, but the spherical levels just didn't work for me as much, and I hated using the control scheme (nunchuck and motion controller is one of my least favorite control methods ever).

Decado

Dec 7, 2017
I... haven't played any of those.

Despite the reviews GTAV didn't actually look that good (gameplay wise); BotW ditto.

Super Mario Galaxy 2 is one I may play, though my playthrough of 1 stalled a while back on dolphin. SMO looks less appealing.

If RRD2 comes to PC and gets some good mods I may play it eventually.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
Galaxy 2 is fun as hell and has amazing level design but the atmosphere and soul of the first one will always be missed to me

Goldenroad

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Galaxy 2 or Red Dead 2. I voted Red Dead 2 because it uses a standard controller, which is just a more comfortable way to play, but I really really enjoyed both games for entirely different reasons.

Concelhaut

Banned
Jun 10, 2019
giphy.gif

Easily.

One and done

Oct 26, 2017
United Kingdom
I mean the OP makes it pretty clear, 97 is a rare score and they want to talk about that. Why is this an issue? Everything doesn't have to be a conspiracy.

96 is a rare score. So is 95. And 94.... do you see where I'm going with this?

The OP's very specific selection of a 97 MC score is puzzling because it's so arbitrary. I don't think it's unreasonable to ask why he chose 97 and the reasoning given in the OP isn't a sufficient explanation.

He's entitled to ignore my question. But I'm also entitled to ask it. Why do you care so much that another poster is curious and asking about the OP's reasoning behind a thread premise?

There has been countless thread on a similar topic (notably on what is Era's GOTG), this is a different thread with a different goal. It's not about which game Era prefers overall, but rather which games are both loved by the critics and this place

Errrrr, there are lots of threads on Era about different things. That's just stating the obvious. I'm not sure what that has to do with the question I'm asking the OP.

I'm curious why the OP is interested in Era's review of games that score above a particularly arbitrarily chosen MC score range. I'm wondering why he chose a score of 97? It's weirdly specific and the OP doesn't really give enough explanation. So If I'm curious and the OP hasn't included the detail in his post, I will ask him the question... I'm not seeing what's wrong with asking the OP a question?

I thought this was a discussion forum?

Was there something wrong with my post? I'm curious why you settled on a MC score of 97. It's oddly specific. Did you have a reason behind it?

Deleted member 58846

User requested account closure
Banned
Jul 28, 2019
I'm almost done with my pick, and... yeah, I don't think I've ever played a game this good. God to see it endeared to Era as well.

Jon God

Oct 28, 2017
What if I didn't love any of these? I thought MO was fun, but hardly worthy of a 97. I'd give it a 8/10, max.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Incredible list of games, I can see why they reviewed as they did. Out of the list I'd pick Breath of the Wild as my fave, which is in my opinion one of the best games ever made. GTA V would be second, and my least favourite would be Super Mario Odyssey.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I've never played Galaxy 2 but I'm very confident I would like it more than the other options.

J_ToSaveTheDay

"This guy are sick" and Corrupted by Vengeance
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Breath of the Wild is my personal GOAT.

I also really enjoy GTAV. Not so much for Rockstars storytelling, I just like the world they built for it, and I had a blast doing some online with my brother after heists came out.