• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

MrNelson

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
If something of such common knowledge is known of for a decade, I think that it is the fault of the victim of spoilerization and they should have educated themselves sooner.
I'm going to say this again, but there are a variety of reasons as to why people are playing shit for the first time years after the fact. The onus is not on the person experiencing the RE franchise for the first time in 2019 to educate themselves on spoilers for games they haven't got to yet.

Deleted member 21411

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Rule of thumb when the sequel is announced, because people are going to be talking about what led up to the next one.

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
It really depends on various factors such as the amount of time the game has been out and how integral the spoiler is to the plot. In general, the most polite thing to do is to add spoiler warnings for sensitive plot material whenever possible. "Quarantining" spoilers for a lack of a better word is the best action to take so that people "infected" with plot knowledge can discuss the material while "healthy" people can avoid the plague of spoilers.

Speaking of deadly viruses, I remember in a thread a while back that people were still unaware a decade after the fact that
Wesker dies in Resident Evil 5
If something of such common knowledge is known of for a decade, I think that it is the fault of the victim of spoilerization and that they should have educated themselves sooner.

It isn't common knowledge if people aren't aware of it, and it doesn't have anything to do with educating yourself. You may not know that a plot event in Resident Evil 5 would matter to you. Maybe Resident Evil 2 Remake is your introduction to the series, and that gets you interested in experiencing the rest of it. The cost/benefit of spoiling something for someone doesn't ever make sense - you take the risk of either revealing something they don't care about, or spoiling something they didn't want to know (if they wanted to know they could find out). It always makes sense to provide the option.

60fps

Banned
Dec 18, 2017
  1. Do spoilers have an acceptable grace period, after which point, it is on the player to have experienced the game by then or risk being spoiled?
No, they don't. You just don't openly post spoilers, no matter if it's games, movies or books. Should be common sense.

Why would it be ok to ruin the fun for the people who haven't experienced them yet?

Last edited:
About 9 months. People need to stop being such babies about it.
BKVO2w3.png

Feb 8, 2018
I always find it funny when reviewers include story/campaign playtime in their articles and videos. Probably not a big problem to most of you but when that number sticks to your thoughts, it'll always be easier to guess the remaining playtime.I'd find it better when they just use-short-average-long. I don't care if a story is around 20 or 24 hours long, that precision is unnecessary imo. Obviously reviews get released before or close to a game's release so yah, not a good thing imo even though I don't care that much as I usually forget about that number days later.

Last edited:

Yata

Feb 1, 2019
Spain
Never. The trickier question would be what constitutes a spoiler, because it depends on the person.

If you know you are spoiling something, spoiler tag it. It really isn't that complicated.

60fps

Banned
Dec 18, 2017
That's not my problem nor is it the problem of a game forum of thousands of people. It should be the person's responsibility.
Wow. I wish all people shared this opinion. The world would be a much nicer place to live in, I'm sure.

Never. The trickier question would be what constitutes a spoiler, because it depends on the person.

If you know you are spoiling something, spoiler tag it. It really isn't that complicated.
This.

MrNelson

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
That's not my problem nor is it the problem of a game forum of thousands of people. It should be the person's responsibility.
How silly of me to not realize just how difficult it is to
use fucking spoiler tags
God, how foolish I must be to express common courtesy when using them, or asking people if they've hit (ambiguous story beat) so I know what I can and can't discuss with them.

svacina

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How silly of me to not realize just how difficult it is to
use fucking spoiler tags
God, how foolish I must be to express common courtesy when using them, or asking people if they've hit (ambiguous story beat) so I know what I can and can't discuss with them.
Fucking spoiler tags make threads unreadable.

Deleted member 6263

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There's nothing wrong with just using a spoiler tag, it's literally built into this forum. No one is harmed, and you still get your point across.

Basileus777

Oct 26, 2017
New Jersey
Critical elements like plot twists, characters deaths and such I try to respect indefinitely unless it's some big pop cultural phenomenon. All the other innocuous stuff that people get angry about being spoilers I'm not shy about, it's on those overly sensitive people to protect themselves. If you don't want to know that the hookshot isn't in BOTW or whatever, go hide yourself offline.

Feb 8, 2018

That's true but things like gameplay mechanics, and quality of visuals are usually part of the marketing campaign so most wouldn't consider them spoilers unless you can unlock things that changes the gameplay in a more extreme way.

Basileus777

Oct 26, 2017
New Jersey
Sorry to bump my own thread, but with Link's Awakening being remade, I'm seeing a lot of spoiler discussion cropping up and thought it was interesting to revisit some of the responses in here already.
I'm not sure what there really is to spoil in Link's Awakening. There is very little plot in the game and the whole setup isn't really a twist, it's revealed by the owl at the start. There is nothing to be revealed that could ruin someone's experience of the game.

svacina

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure what there really is to spoil in Link's Awakening. There is very little plot in the game and the whole setup isn't really a twist, it's revealed by the owl at the start. There is nothing to be revealed that could ruin someone's experience of the game.
What? There are hints, maybe, but it is not revealed until mid game?

You can also spoil the ending which goes beyond the twist.

27 Burritos

Dec 27, 2018
I think at least a year, but I'll continue marking them because I feel it's the considerate thing to do. Not everyone has tiime to play games as much as others.

Feb 8, 2018
Critical elements like plot twists, characters deaths and such I try to respect indefinitely unless it's some big pop cultural phenomenon. All the other innocuous stuff that people get angry about being spoilers I'm not shy about, it's on those overly sensitive people to protect themselves. If you don't want to know that the hookshot isn't in BOTW or whatever, go hide yourself offline.

If you want to apply media blackout for a game, but aren't able to do it you might as well have an internet addiction issue or something. I've done it and it's easy!
1.Don't open any browser,don't open any gaming related sites or anything where gaming talk is expected.
or
2.If you literally don't want to see more of a game you can read reviews or spoiler-free threads. at the maximum you'll come across spoiler-free screenshots. I don't understand the problem

YellowBara

Oct 26, 2017
If a console generation has passed, a sequel releases that assumes you are aware of earlier game(s) or the game is at least a few years old, then I post openly at that point on social media or whatever. If you haven't experienced it by that point it isn't my responsibility to filter out things I wanna discuss just to appease whatever idiot spoilerphobe takes issue with it. They can fuck off.

If it's something recent or if it's the kind of spoiler that changes a story's context forever once known, I can understand being a bit more cautious with spoilers but it can vary.

It's not a black or white kind of thing in the end so it really is up to whoever's discretion. Spoilers aren't some thing to be afraid of either, it can be great to know something ahead of time, that's literally the whole point of trailers after all.

Deleted member 4037

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I would say it depends largely on the game. The botw spoilers in the op arent really that big of spoilers even because the game has no real story focus, even the enemy encounters are rather no spoilers just to know a certain thing is in the game

Deleted member 8861

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Forever. Don't post open spoilers anywhere, anytime, for anything people, it really isn't that hard to write (Spoilers). If you really love something, you wouldn't want to ruin it for other people who ar enew to it.

Remember when spoilers were a way you and your friends would get each other hype?
No because that never happened. If it's a story I'm really interested in or care about, I don't want spoilers.

MrNelson

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Forever. Don't post open spoilers anywhere, anytime, for anything people, it really isn't that hard to write (Spoilers). If you really love something, you wouldn't want to ruin it for other people who ar enew to it.
Nah man, fuck other people. If someone didn't want a game spoiled for them they would have been there the second it was available. How dare they not consume every piece of media as soon as it available.

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
No, they don't. You just don't openly post spoilers, no matter if it's games, movies or books. Should be common sense.

Why would it be ok to ruin the fun for the people who haven't experienced them yet?
Ultimately having conversations while trying to account for every spoiler is simply not feasible, and a discussion killer on a forum like this because so much gets buried behind the tags. Particularly now when some people continue to try and expand what constitutes a spoiler. Example: expecting spoiler warnings for discussion on marketing material of an upcoming release. Like we literally have people on this forum who throw shit fits because people discuss previews and related videos in a preview thread for a game.

I do my best to limit spoilers though, particularly when discussing things that might be more obscure to the average person, and/or depending on the thread.

60fps

Banned
Dec 18, 2017

No because that never happened. If it's a story I'm really interested in or care about, I don't want spoilers.
Nah man, fuck other people. If someone didn't want a game spoiled for them they would have been there the second it was available. How dare they not consume every piece of media as soon as it available.
Yea. It's really simple. Common sense, nothing to discuss actually.

Deleted member 2620

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
read the room and be considerate

I don't want to hear in-depth stuff about games that I will eventually play, regardless of when the game was released, so I appreciate a little heads-up if the info is going to come out of nowhere.

I won't willingly barge into conversations/threads about a game I haven't played and be upset when I learn more than I want to know about it.

鬼作.

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
A year or so, maximum. Doesn't really matter.

Once something is several decades old and maybe even got turned into memes, and you're still out there going on about spoilers...just fuck off forever, seriously.

Someone not getting spoiled about Link's three decade old Awakening is actually not worth the effort of using spoiler tags to me. I'm that lazy and don't even feel bad about it because it's that inconsequential.

NeonBlack

Oct 25, 2017

No one told you about that really rare pokemon? How about cloud's omnislash?

Podge293

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
30 days.

Game is out long enough at that point that if you really cared you'd have gotten it and if not you're just waiting for a price drop and that's just being a tight ass

D.Dragoon

Mar 2, 2018
I don't go out of my way to spoil anything but my grace period is literally zero. I read spoilers on stuff all day everyday, I am really hoping that the last season of Game of Thrones has leaks like last season.

Iacomus

Dec 26, 2018
Generally I don't care for spoilers so when I'm spoilt I never see it as a bad thing. Actually I see it as a massive positive. If I play the movie/game, and then see where the movie/game has cleverly left those links it makes my experience that much better.

IMO spoilers are out of the window after 3 months. I'm only considerate to resisting spoilers to isolationists who where able to avoid every social media aspect from tweets, posts and memes about the twist when screamed at. Yet at the same time from my RL experience there the first itching to talk about the spoiler moments.

TheBeardedOne

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Derry
30 days.

Game is out long enough at that point that if you really cared you'd have gotten it and if not you're just waiting for a price drop and that's just being a tight ass

You're entitled to your own opinion, but waiting for a sale doesn't mean you're a tight ass or that you're doing anything wrong. Some people don't have the money to buy every $60, or $90 after taxes here, game they want when it comes out.