• It's trash

Votes: 503 28.6%
  • I'm indifferent

Votes: 690 39.2%
  • It's my jam

Votes: 567 32.2%

• Total voters
Oct 29, 2017
I can do with this. As long as we get to see the other three regions the school setting won't bother me. That and no student-teacher relationships.
Yeah, this sort of important details are still too unclear for us to draw conclusions. The fact that we get to "choose" a region is troubling to me, but we don't know what it actually really entails yet.

Having the early game be something like Octopath's story with a nice second half that ties it all together would be nice, even though it's probably gonna be something like Fate's where you basically choose the game you want to play, but all in one single cartridge.

-JD-

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Was Balamb Garden a school setting because I want more of that. Culturally vague future Japanese wartime high school.

Watershed

Oct 26, 2017
From what I can tell it seems like a new thematic wrapper for all the individual unit and relationship stat progression that has always been in the series. I'm sure there will be some new wrinkles, but it largely seems like a blown out version of what we've always had in FE games. I'm all for it as long as it is done well.

Syril

Oct 26, 2017
I also feel that school setting will heavily restrict character design by the way of uniforms. FFVIII, an older game somehow manage to circumvent this issue by having the characters wear their formal outfits on very rare occasions, but most of the time they have their distinct attire. School uniforms character design is utterly boring in my eyes. The more time the characters are in school uniform, the worse it is in my eyes.
To its credit it dropped the school angle early on and heavily played up the child soldier angle instead and started playing up the Gardens as private military companies.
At least let them go to college. And not in their first year, maybe in their 2nd or 3rd as a real adult. Judging by their videogames and anime it seems like Japan is obsessed with high school life.
Maybe high school is more fun there than it is here in the US.
Considering what corporate life (and especially the manga and anime industries) can be like, I'm not that surprised at a lot of creators being nostalgic about their school days. Also high school can have similar connotations that college does for us with entrance exam stresses and possibly having to move away.

Doesn't excuse the rampant character and situation cliches though.
Japan doesn't have the same culture of work being a chore you want to escape from when you're an adult, in the sense that adults are expected to be devoted to work on a cultural level, the classic stories of "Adult tired with a dead end job breaks out to follow their dreams" that are popular in the west would be an unthinkable mindset for a grown ass adult in japan.
You're right, that would stretch suspension of disbelief. It's way more plausible for the character to give up hope and be perpetually burned out instead.

nicolasacmf

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
On the one hand, the avatar is one of those cancerous tropes that Awakening and Fates had. On the other hand, this games seems to have segments where you explore dungeons, which were a breath of fresh air for the franchise in SoV... I'm really conflicted with this game. SoV showed me that IS can still write good stories, but this apparently being split in three parts reminds me too much of that those trash Fates games...

LossAversion

The Merchant of ERA
Oct 28, 2017
It's definitely my jam. I've never played a Fire Emblem before though, so I had no expectations otherwise.

Dark_Castle

Oct 27, 2017
On the one hand, the avatar is one of those cancerous tropes that Awakening and Fates had. On the other hand, this games seems to have segments where you explore dungeons, which were a breath of fresh air for the franchise in SoV... I'm really conflicted with this game. SoV showed me that IS can still write good stories, but this apparently being split in three parts reminds me too much of that trash Fates games...
Woah hold up. Three Houses is one game, not split into three like Fates. That would have been disastrous.

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
People need to stop of being so afraid of changes. It can be bad, yes, but at least wait unitl the game launches to complain about what didn't even happen yet

Kapryov

"This guy are sick"
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
I was ready to write up a paragraph about Japan and their school settings, along with some points for and against the general idea, but...

You're a teacher now?
That's badass, and rather unique actually.
Makes me worried about the romance options though...

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Somewhere between indifferent and trash. It feels really cheap and like they're chasing what is popular rather than something actually unique and worthwhile. School settings are popular in tons of other JRPGs and in tons of shows. It could still be good, but it's done nothing to alleviate concerns.

Supau

Corrupted by Vengeance
Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Same. I was excited for Three Houses until today. Now I don't know if I will even buy it.

Coinspinner

Nov 6, 2017
I don't play Fire Emblem one way or another, but I hate school settings so I can't see that tipping the scales in this one's favor.

dreamlongdead

Nov 5, 2017
I'm fine with it. Seems like IS is doing something different with Fire Emblem, which is good.

The game looks great, and I plan to get a Switch when this comes out.

NHarmonic.

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
People often say that japanese media is obssessed with school settings because after highschool your dreams are dead and you're supposed to become a full time work cog in the machinery of adulthood, so stories of adults don't resonate with the young audience unless they're completely removed from the reality of modern day japan.

This is depressing.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
I'm with you Dark_Castle. I almost didn't play Cold Steel games because of the setting (and other reasons). I find those settings insufferable.

SliceSabre

Oct 25, 2017
I'm ok with it because it isn't like this series has done it before and it's different from the exact same story set up we've had for like 20 years.

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm with you OP completely. Not just in JRPGs but anime too.

However on the FE front they're at least changing it up somewhat. It's NOT a high school, thank God, more like an Academy for young adults (at least 18+) and not populated by 15 year old girls in impossibly short school uniform skirts like most school settings do. And you're also playing a decidedly adult teacher, not a student.

So yeah I'm tired of the high school anime trope but FE is doing things differently at least.

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I guess I don't really play all that trash that you guys seem to be playing so aside from the Harry Potter parallels, I am kinda indifferent to it.

ASaiyan

Oct 25, 2017
I was definitely taken aback, and I really don't think it's a good idea. I like my warriors to be...actual adult warriors, and not some schoolkids on a field trip like something outta Final Fantasy Type-0.

But I loved both Awakening and Fates, so I have a certain level of trust in IntiSys. I'm willing to stick around and hopefully be pleasantly surprised by how this turns out...

Dymaxion

Sep 19, 2018
The trope is new-ish to me, so I don't mind and I'm not going to jump to conclusions now. There are so many JRPGs, and most of them are more like Dragon Quest and Final Fantasy than Persona.

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Same here. Japanese media is obsessed with the shitty school setting.
And it's always high school they're obsessed with. It's almost never college. It's always goddamn high school which lends itself for some very creepy designs for female characters of questionable ages.

Fire Emblem, from what I can see, is not falling completely in on this trope.

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
I'm with you OP completely. Not just in JRPGs but anime too.

However on the FE front they're at least changing it up somewhat. It's NOT a high school, thank God, more like an Academy for young adults (at least 18+) and not populated by 15 year old girls in impossibly short school uniform skirts like most school settings do. And you're also playing a decidedly adult teacher, not a student.

So yeah I'm tired of the high school anime trope but FE is doing things differently at least.
I mean we don't know their ages, plenty we've seen could easily be mid teens and almost all the girls are wearing skirts. Thankfully one with a short skirt is also wearing shorts underneath when it flutters up and about, but another is just wearing a super short pencil skirt with high heel boots leaping in the air in battle. Like none of them are really revealing or anything, but they're not exactly great either.

Deleted member 1635

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There's a reason why I never enjoyed games with high school settings, including FF Type-0, Valkyria Chronicles 2, Trails of the Cold Steel, etc. It's like the characters are made to pander to every possible fetish so everyone can have their own favorite(s). They're mostly one dimensional.

What do you think?

I think you're right. I fully expect it to be nothing but garbage anime tropes and pervy bullshit.

Madao

Avalanche's One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Panama
yuck

i avoid high school shit in games and anime whenever i can these days and this drops a lot of the desire i have for the game. not that i was that big of a FE fan but not feeling this one.

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean we don't know their ages, plenty we've seen could easily be mid teens and almost all the girls are wearing skirts. Thankfully one with a short skirt is also wearing shorts underneath when it flutters up and about, but another is just wearing a super short pencil skirt with high heel boots leaping in the air in battle. Like none of them are really revealing or anything, but they're not exactly great either.
I know we don't know the ages but at least they don't look like they're in high school. Tales of Cold Steel or Valkyria Chronicles 2 this is not.

Plus you get to play as a teacher who's most decidedly an adult. I can't think of another JRPG where I've seen that. You always play as a student.

Ryutaryi

Oct 25, 2017
The fact that you're a teacher makes the high school setting a lot more palatable and I'm usually very against high school settings in JRPGs.

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
I know we don't know the ages but at least they don't look like they're in high school. Tales of Cold Steel or Valkyria Chronicles 2 this is not.
I disagree, several of the characters definitely look like they could be 15/16. You really think these two are 18+?
P8cdBjI.jpg

Deleted member 9972

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Maybe they'll pull a FF Tactics and the school will only be a temporary setting that ends up being a part of a much deeper and grander tragedy with complex political alliances

I wonder if we'll be able to date multiple students at once

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
It's all in the implementation, but am hoping they go deeper into the political intrigue than the typical high school tropey stuff.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
I was definitely taken aback, and I really don't think it's a good idea. I like my warriors to be...actual adult warriors, and not some schoolkids on a field trip like something outta Final Fantasy Type-0.

But I loved both Awakening and Fates, so I have a certain level of trust in IntiSys. I'm willing to stick around and hopefully be pleasantly surprised by how this turns out...
If you think about it, everything about raising levels, promoting and training is ridiculous if they are professional soldiers

Lord Arcadio

Oct 27, 2017
While I enjoyed Trails of Cold Steel, this aspect really bothered me.

Thors Military Academy is a two year thing where you are expected to get a job after graduation. Most of the characters start attending at 17 years old. So shouldn't it be more like a college or....you know....a military academy than a high school? So why are all the Japanese high school tropes in it? For a series that had amazing world building, this was really immersion breaking.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
If I'm honest this would be my first FE, for various reasons I avoided the others but nothing I see here seems enticing at all. Needs more colors.

The school setting aspect will probably change over the course of the game but it isn't interesting to me really.

cucholix

Oct 30, 2017
Not what I'd expect from a Fire Emblem game, I wanted to revisit old characters and new ones, instead we got generic students, you can't even play as the teacher.

brochiller

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I never would have thought I'd be into it but I am. I haven't played Fire Emblem before but I'm tempted to give this a shot.