• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Shoreu

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think I want Bungie back with how destiny 2 feels
Not really I'm one of those guys who has appreciated something different about the halo games 2 was great and 3 was as well but I also think 5 is nothing to snuff at on the MP side 343 definitely had their fuck ups But there was some good innovation added to the series. Refinement is their way forward imo fix what they've added bring back things like og firefight. Bring back those gametypes people ask for and things will look good.

Spades

Oct 26, 2017
I'd like some sort of co-op raid activity. That would be pretty awesome. They'll never do that, but still.

kc44135

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
I don't want it. 6 Halo games (counting Reach, and not counting other stuff like ODST and Wars) is enough, IMO. I genuinely have no desire this see this franchise (or Gears) continue. These franchises are tired now, and just not the same without their original creators. Please give me a new IP with fresh ideas and concepts, Microsoft (This is where MS is really lacking right now). Sorry if this comment proves controversial... it's just honestly how I feel at this point.

DemonCarnotaur

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
NYC
A return to the story and gameplay drivers that made Halo CE, 2, & 3 so exciting and engrossing. Halo 4's story was hit and miss. Halo 5's was bad.

The Prometheans just are not fun to fight. Ditch them, or majorly reboot them. They feel too sterile, and lack that rewarding combat factor.

The art style could use a little more love - look at at Halo CE, 2, and 3 and trying to bring that feeling to life with a higher level of detail, without entirely throwing the look away. Maybe look at Destiny's art direction and engine.

Multiplayer: ditch clamber - also, map design feels too watered down. Bring back some of the more exciting variety that made Halo's MP stand out. This may be contrversial, but I feel like the pro-team had too much of an influence over the design and it kinda sucked the charm out of the game. Perhaps that wasn't the cause, but the maps just lack that extra oopmph, and they all look and feel too similar.

Most of all: just make it fun!

OP
OP
Sentry

Sentry

Vigilant Guardian
Oct 25, 2017
A return to the story and gameplay drivers that made Halo CE, 2, & 3 so exciting and engrossing. Halo 4's story was hit and miss. Halo 5's was bad.

The Prometheans just are not fun to fight. Ditch them, or majorly reboot them. They feel too sterile, and lack that rewarding combat factor.

The art style could use a little more love - look at at Halo CE, 2, and 3 and trying to bring that feeling to life with a higher level of detail, without entirely throwing the look away. Maybe look at Destiny's art direction and engine.

Multiplayer: ditch clamber - also, map design feels too watered down. Bring back some of the more exciting variety that made Halo's MP stand out. This may be contrversial, but I feel like the pro-team had too much of an influence over the design and it kinda sucked the charm out of the game. Perhaps that wasn't the cause, but the maps just lack that extra oopmph, and they all look and feel too similar.

Most of all: just make it fun!
If you can take a look at the H2A/HW2 art style which to me is the best halo art style ever. Also enemy wise there's not much left in the universe to fight that would be interesting. Going back to the covenant would be redundant and Prometheans were just a flawed idea imo. The only things left are the Flood and maybe precursors as enemies and one doesn't make sense from a lore stand point.

Miker

Oct 25, 2017
I want them to keep the base mechanics of Halo 5, because damn that was a tight game to pick up and play. The spartan abilities added a lot, and sprint/thruster/stabilizer did a lot to make the game feel more dynamic, if not more unpredictable in multiplayer. They can take out ADS tho.

I want them to keep the focus on 60 fps, but since they said all mainline Halo games will have split screen co-op going forward, I see them going back to 30 fps to accommodate higher player counts, unless they've somehow magically upgraded the engine.

I don't hate 343i's art, but I agree that a return to Bungie's simpler style would be ideal. The environment design is mostly there, it's really the armor designs in 5 that were overdesigned and fugly.

As for the campaign, I'd like a return to the scale of Halo 3-ish missions, with more complex AI and vehicle sections. Halo 5's campaign wasn't bad, and had some cool sections, but couldn't touch the heights of Bungie's campaigns.

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
I repeat, comparing Overwatch and Halo is nonsensical. They are not structured the same way and in OW it actually makes sense not to implement ADS.

No one is comparing the games. They are saying ADS as a mechanic is entirely unnecessary for the success of a modern AAA game.

And if any game "actually makes sense not to implement ADS", it's Halo. ADS harms the flow of gameplay. The stop/start of sprint harms the flow of gameplay. Halo thrived on that flow. There was no reason to include ADS in halo. None. Overwatch merely demonstrates that "well modern games have to have ADS or they won't be successful" is utter bull.

DemonCarnotaur

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
NYC
If you can take a look at the H2A/HW2 art style which to me is the best halo art style ever. Also enemy wise there's not much left in the universe to fight that would be interesting. Going back to the covenant would be redundant and Prometheans were just a flawed idea imo. The only things left are the Flood and maybe precursors as enemies and one doesn't make sense from a lore stand point.

Totally agreed about that art style! For the more fantastical alien vistas, I still think Destiny 1/2 would be a great art reference though.

As for enemies, they could reboot the Prometheans with a sudden rise of living Forerunners that have actual personalities when you fight them. Plus reboot things like watchers and crawlers, etc.

But honestly, give me a FULL roster of Covenant to fight. Elites. Brute packs. Grunts. Jackals. Skirmishers. Etc. And honestly, in the right doses, I would enjoy the Flood again.

Finally, they could just go SURPRISE and introduce new race of Aliens nobody ever knew about and encountered.

Pakesaker

Oct 25, 2017
Omaha, NE
I actually enjoyed Halo 5 for what it was, but I definitely would be most excited about a return to Halo's roots. Kind of a Star Wars Ep VII type of return where it's new but it's immediately apparent that it remembers why you loved it to begin with. I want a master chief story, I want a multiplayer that is similar to H2A but with new maps, ditch sprint and ADS, and have BTB at launch. I think that there is still enough room within those pillars for some creativity and new ideas. Basically, I just want Halo to feel like Halo, I want the sense of wonder and the moment to moment gameplay to remind me of the original trilogy.

The_Strokes

Oct 25, 2017
MĂ©xico
No one is comparing the games. They are saying ADS as a mechanic is entirely unnecessary for the success of a modern AAA game.

And if any game "actually makes sense not to implement ADS", it's Halo. ADS harms the flow of gameplay. The stop/start of sprint harms the flow of gameplay. Halo thrived on that flow. There was no reason to include ADS in halo. None. Overwatch merely demonstrates that "well modern games have to have ADS or they won't be successful" is utter bull.

Not comparing, but implying that Overwatch is an example that Halo should follow when it comes to things like ADS it's what I'm arguing.

And again, the new Halo 5 vibe feels great as it is, ADS is just a thing people used to play FPS do naturally and in a very subconscious way would make the series feel dated for new audiences not to have it.

It doesn't hurt the flow of the game any more than a lot of other design choices that should be more of a priority to 343 at the moment.

Welfare

Prophet of Truth - You’re my Numberwall
Oct 26, 2017
Warzone 2.0 should feature more unique map design elements that encourages map placement and strategic areas beyond just camping the armories and middle objective. Secondary objectives that aren't just killing AI to score points. Change the armory and garage into barracks, vehicle depots, and air pads like in Halo Wars. These buildings could provide a consistent stream of free vehicle REQs of whatever type it is while you hold it. Barracks give out free weapons, depots free vehicles, and air pads free air vehicles.

Campaign needs to focus more on Chief as his story and perspective is more important than any other character introduced.

Gameplay from Halo 5 was pretty tight, the only thing I would change is going back to the classic scope.

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
Not comparing, but implying that Overwatch is an example that Halo should follow when it comes to things like ADS it's what I'm arguing.

And again, the new Halo 5 vibe feels great as it is, ADS is just a thing people used to play FPS do naturally and in a very subconscious way would make the series feel dated for new audiences not to have it.

It doesn't hurt the flow of the game any more than a lot of other design choices that should be more of a priority to 343 at the moment.

I just think most people are talking about Overwatch in broad terms here. I play both a lot and they're incredibly different games, but I really feel part of why Overwatch feels so gosh darn good to play is due to the fact that you can just shoot, and while you can shoot you can still see. The reason ADS affects flow so severely is because it forces you to stop moving and go slow. That stop and go just isn't as fun in something like an arena shooters, and it's why I prefer arena shooters to twitch shooters in general.

Curious what you think are more impressing concerns related to flow.

The_Strokes

Oct 25, 2017
MĂ©xico
I just think most people are talking about Overwatch in broad terms here. I play both a lot and they're incredibly different games, but I really feel part of why Overwatch feels so gosh darn good to play is due to the fact that you can just shoot, and while you can shoot you can still see. The reason ADS affects flow so severely is because it forces you to stop moving and go slow. That stop and go just isn't as fun in something like an arena shooters, and it's why I prefer arena shooters to twitch shooters in general.

Curious what you think are more impressing concerns related to flow.

It really depends on how you use ADS. Halo doesn't force it upon you like other shooters (Destiny for instance) you can very much win a 1v1 with a BR not using ADS against someone who does, it's a situational mechanic in this game, not a fundamental one in order to get critical shots or something, that mostly functions to slightly boost close ranged guns rather than mid to long ones.

I commented before about how punishing sprinting is sometimes (not being able to recharge your shields while doing it), and that's something that impacts the way we traverse and move around the map. Although I get the system behind it, I personally don't like it. Also ground pound seems very useless 90% of the time.

Edit: Man, it feels so great to have decent discussions away from the toxicity of that other site.

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
It really depends on how you use ADS. Halo doesn't force it upon you like other shooters (Destiny for instance) you can very much win a 1v1 with a BR not using ADS against someone who does, it's a situational mechanic in this game, not a fundamental one in order to get critical shots or something, that mostly functions to slightly boost close ranged guns rather than mid to long ones.

Yeah in the end I didn't mind how 5 did it. The game feels great to play and I fully ignored ADS pretty much. Given that most people seemed to as well, it's just bizzare they include it. It's either mostly pointless like in 5, or encroaches on that pure flow of arena style gameplay, in which case it's a negative. The insistence on including it is strange to me.

I'm just worried because it realllllly looks like they're just trying to transition over to ads focus, regardless of what the community asks for. Arena shooters are hard to find these days, and they're so fun.

I commented before about how punishing sprinting is sometimes (not being able to recharge your shields while doing it), and that's something that impacts the way we traverse and move around the map. Although I get the system behind it, I personally don't like it. Also ground pound seems very useless 90% of the time.

Yeah I really feel it was a bandaid solution. They wanted to keep sprint, but get rid of people running away from gun fights rather than committing and outplaying. I really feel that a faster movement speed that is entirely controlled with the stick is better. As it is, like with ADS, it's just this weird half-breed hybrid with conflicting ideas. If you want people to not run away, don't punish them for sprinting. Instead, encourage them to say and fight. It's negative reinforcement that isn't necessary except for the fact that they just really want it in there.

And I really should clarify I am a late bloomer here. I played CE for the first time in like 2014. The difference in what I had played before was immense and I loved the changes. Played Halo 3 multiplayer for the first time then too. Even with it's awful netcode, and feeling like there was a giant brick on the end of your gun, fights always felt fair, even when I played terribly. Being forced to actually encounter people rather than run away was just more fun because it forced me to learn the game. So no nostalgia goggles here. It's just a fun, good solution. Why eliminate that when currently halo has the Monopoly almost on arena shooters. They're going to lose it soon if they aren't careful. You could argue they already are.

Plus again, running takes you out of fights because you can't use your gun. I would rather eliminate it and just encourage people to focus more on placement and gunplay. It makes them better players, and in the end, the game more fun.

Edit: Man, it feels so great to have decent discussions away from the toxicity of that other site.

Indeed.

Deleted member 9840

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
- Bring Halo to the PC
- Make the MP component free-to-play (make money by selling loot crates and offering an esport focused "battle pass" a la Dota 2)
- Give the Win10 Cortana the ability to interact with the game
~~~~~~~* Make Halo a category in Win10 Cortana's notebook, like Finance, Travel or Weather
~~~~~~~* Let the Win10 Cortana inform you about events that are happening in-game, like what the new playlists are, right inside of Windows itself (could be a notification in the Action Center as well)
- Make the SP pay-to-play (People are in love with Master Chief and Cortana and will spend money to play the SP to see how the story continues)
- Make sure that your pre-release lore is consistent with the game itself (Hunt the Truth was fantastic, but I feel like Halo 5 did not stick to the story that was established by the audio series) + such pre-release marketing could be pushed to the users through Win10 Cortana directly in Windows itself.

Thank you for reading.

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
Microsoft confirmed all future first party games would be coming to PC so I think we can rest assured there.

Hope like everything the PC version has splitscreen. One of my favorite memories is playing splitscreen borderlands 2 with two laptops and four people. Great times.

Oct 26, 2017
When trying to think of it realistically:

Campaign:
- More focused, coherent story
- Level design that utilizes the sandbox more (e.g. better vehicle integration)
- No squad system
- Larger focus on Master Chief's arc (which was pretty much dropped in 5)
- More intelligent AI (think CE/Reach)
- Brutes
- Resolve Cortana plot ASAP, replace with something interesting

Multiplayer:
- One-side gametypes
- Big Team Battle dev support
- More variety in map design
- Revise Warzone, make it less dependent on REQs (late-stage balancement was awful)
- Revise REQ Pack system
- More gametypes at launch (Oddball, KOTH, Assault, Infection, etc.)

Overall:
- Revise art style, mainly Spartan Armor (black undersuits a must)
- Less focus on the competitive scene
- Forge at launch
- Custom Games Browser at launch
- Splitscreen
- LAN support

Last edited:

Tetryl

Oct 25, 2017
Agree with a lot of stuff in here already, but I'd also like to see more visual variety in maps. So many Halo 5 maps are built around drab gray metal structures, and seem to lack their own visual identity. And of course the whole concept of releasing remixes of existing maps doesn't help.

I thought I read something at some point that said the maps were designed this way because the pros wanted them to be readable above all else. Certainly not a bad thing to strive for, but I feel like there's a happy medium where you can make maps visually interesting and still have them be readable. I don't remember having problems with Halo 3 & 4's maps, and they were much less samey.

Deleted member 9824

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
What I want in Halo 6 is just to give Custom Games people more options on how they can play their game. Reach was the pinnacle of this, in my opinion. Loadouts, Armor Abilities, and an in-depth forge helped me really create drastically different and unique game modss back then. Granted some of them weren't good, but it was still better than a couple of the Customs game modes I made in H5.

Rikka

Oct 25, 2017
Prometheans just aren't fun to fight. Until that changes I doubt Halo 6 SP will be great. They nailed the overall feel of gameplay in Halo 5.

Can you make a modern mass market shooter without ADS?
Halo already proved that they can make an amazing shooter without ADS. many Halo games ran at the same time as battlefield and call of duty have, and it doesn't mean halo was a bad game. an example would also be DOOM. No ADS but still an amazing shooter game.

monketron

Oct 27, 2017
I enjoyed Halo 4 and 5, but they seemed to just lose some of the magic that I got from Halo 3. From Halo 6 I'd want it to be a bit less generic shooter and bring back some of that magic. Easier said than done I know.

X1 Two

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Halo 3 story with Halo 1 enemies, Halo 2 guns, Halo Reach levels, Halo 4 pacing and Halo 5 graphics.

Mrflood

Oct 25, 2017
For me, just looking for a story with an actual conclusion. It's time for Master Chief to retire and a "Halo" universe to be born.

Deleted member 15497

Oct 27, 2017
PC the main focus, Bungie back at the helm, return to the Halo 3 magic.

But none of that will happen, so I'm hoping that 343 make a decent job of fixing MCC and people come back to it on the One X

Metfanant

Oct 27, 2017
Start over...Retcon everything after Halo 3 as Chief having some crazy dream while being in cryo sleep...

bry

Oct 27, 2017
A campaign similar to the original trilogy.
i really enjoy the halo games I dont follow the EU like that.

Halo 4s story is not what I expected from a halo game honestly and havent actually played the story since 2012. I had to read forums to understand what was going on with the didact and that lady.
I did enjoy Halo 5s campaign a bit more, I know it had glaring flaws but everything felt easy to follow.

BLLYjoe25

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i already posted in here but i just want a good story...also i want the cortana plot brought to an abrupt end so that she joins up with MC again. the only reason i stuck with the games was because of their relationship. if that disappears then i'm done with Halo.

oh and Halo 6 MUST be on PC.

bry

Oct 27, 2017
Honestly I wouldnt mind seeing the FPS take a break and 343 doing a spinoff that doesnt say Halo in the title.
Maybe 3rd person adventure/action/openworld.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
Halo already proved that they can make an amazing shooter without ADS. many Halo games ran at the same time as battlefield and call of duty have, and it doesn't mean halo was a bad game. an example would also be DOOM. No ADS but still an amazing shooter game.

3 out of the 4 best selling console FPS games this gen have ADS. The reason why Halo 5 has ADS and sprint is because that is what generally speaking the market trends are. That was my point.

Burrman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Halo 5 multiplayer is the best since 2. The only problem I had with it were the maps. Mostly th btb ones. They seemed a little rushed on the art side of things. Most of the slayer ones are great but lack memeroble style. Overall the game is amazing though. Still the best multiplayer game this gen IMO. But damn it's very competitive. If your not drinking an energy drink and sitting straight up wired to the screen your gonna have a hard time doing good. Which is why I think it lacked the massive player base compared to the earlier titles. Overwatch is an example I can use. Anybody can be helpful in that game and get a bunch of kills, which I think is part of its success. But if your not half decent in halo, you'd be lucky to get one or two.

Fuchsia

Oct 28, 2017
This won't happen, but I want them to gut the story. Get rid of the prometheans. Get rid of all their weapons which aren't fun to use. Get rid of the art style that came with them. Start fresh. Get Marty O'Donnell back. Sorry, but no boring other team of Spartans like Locke and his gang.

Sidenote: I still can't believe the ball was dropped with Blue Team. They should have just been the whole game...

Keep the mobility in multiplayer. Get rid of Warzone. Focus on making maps with unique art that are all fun to play. Focus on BTB and making sure that's there with its own non-forge maps at launch.

It feels a lot like 343 have tried to get as far away from Bungie in every way possible. And I respect wanting to do your own thing as artists, I totally do. I appreciate that they stuck to their guns and tried to make 5 work after what 4 was. But it just isn't doing anything for me as a longtime huge fan of Halo. Maybe just go back to what makes Halo actually work. Do a reboot? I don't know. It feels like we need to just start fresh almost.

DrowsyJungle

Oct 25, 2017
Sorry to the ADS haters, but weapons like the pistol and BR need it. If you want a semi-realistic shooter in the modern era you need it. If they remove something as basic as ADS it'll move the series backwards IMO. Is it even forced on you? Switch your control scheme if you don't like it.

Sydle

Oct 27, 2017
Improved story, art direction like the Halo Wars 2 cinematics, and a lot of MP content on day one. Don't change the gameplay.

I had a lot of fun with Halo 5 and I'm looking forward to seeing what 343 accomplishes with the next one.

Calm Killer

Oct 25, 2017
Art Style change - Black Under Suits
Big Team Battle - Dev Built Maps
Halo 5 Base gameplay - MP is excellent, build off of that.
We should have all the things we have in Halo 5 now at launch. BTB, Oddball, Forge, File Share, etc.
PC Release
A story that makes sense. I thought the level designs were great in Halo 5, but the story was poor. The marketing campaign had nothing to do with the actual story. This was very poorly planned. The fact that fans had been asking for Blue team for a decade and we finally get Blue team, but for only 3 missions? Yeah, no.
Kill Locke
Make Buck the leader or the group.
Put Arbitor in the team to replace Locke
Kill Locke
More Vehicle fights
Firefight Classic - ODST Style
No ADS

Huggy

Oct 25, 2017
A better campaign. 4 and 5 just weren't doing it for me. The multiplayer is great though, leave that as is

growler

Oct 26, 2017
Gotta agree with Woorlog, 343 should iterate on the Halo 3 formula instead of Halo 5.

Wish list:
longer time to kill
robust matchmaking
"classic" armor designs
bespoke xbox platform integration i.e. achievements that unlock armor or xbox live avatar swag
remove sprint
remove ADS
remove spartan abilities
dedicated servers
big team battle
halo 2 era multiplayer map design

That said, Halo 5 had some interesting ideas that I would not mind seeing in the future:
clamber
improved warzones

Edit: I thought about listing PC release, but that almost seems a given with MS pushing Play Anywhere with all of their published titles.

Noble

Oct 27, 2017
Well, I think Halo 5 brought some great gameplay changes and features into the franchise. In terms of gunplay and multiplayer gameplay, the game was easily a 9/10.

Gameplay:
- Gameplay was great in Halo 5. I'd just like to see vehicle manoeuvring improved.

Campaign:
- Better story with less but deeper characters. They already have the foundation there and there're so many great characters in the Halo Universe... there's no need to bring new characters to the story.
- Better AI.
- Promethean enemies revamped.
- Less linear levels, open maps.
- Levels designed around Spartan abilities & some platforming would be awesome.

Mutliplayer:
- More playlists at launch (incl. Social and BTB).
- BTB dev maps.
- More maps (non Remix).
- Warzone with higher player count + bigger maps. Warzone needs more maps from launch too!
- Warzone: I want to be able to fly Pelicans, Spirits and Phantoms.

Forge:
- Keep the awesomeness from Halo 5, with more tools and objects... from launch!

Art:
- Better armor designs.
- More customization.

UnNamed

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Return to origins, where plot wasn't based on books and their shitty ideas, when... you know Chief, you're really the Last Spartan.
Also bring back the ill fated comrades and large scale battles.