• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What does the future of PlayStation look like?

• I see them declining significantly next gen and beyond given current trends

Votes: 150 13.3%
  • I see them maintaining a significant role in gaming next gen and beyond

Votes: 974 86.7%

• Total voters

Devilgunman

Oct 27, 2017
Sony has
- Infrastructure for game streaming/sharing.
- Infrastructure for VR.
- Strong 1st party developers.
- Support from 3rd party developers.

They probably already have roadmap for Playstation in the next 10 years. They will be fine.

Apophis

Nov 6, 2017
Germany
Reasons to be concerned:

- can't compete with tech giants like Google, Amazon, IBM, Oracle, Dropbox etc.
- PS Now is not improving
- cancelling E3 appearance
- Phil Spenser is not playing around this time
- 3rd party exclusives are dwindling
- being arrogant again
- Shawn Layden is not as charismatic as Jack Tretton, and he is a liar
Is this sarcasm?

Riversands

Banned
Nov 21, 2017
Their fair share price got shaken. I quite love it a lil bit, it forces them to compete

To people who think they are doomed, there is a reason playstation is one of big three (not the one with sm, jyp, and YG). Their stock prices will get shaken, but they will compete which is going to good news for us as their clients

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
Sony is the only one with real life experience of game streaming. It's hilarious to think that they're in any way doomed because someone else is about to launch another streaming service. Sony is fine.

butterbutt!

Oct 27, 2017
After Nintendo Sony has the best first party development in the industry. Microsoft and Google still have a ton of investment ahead of them to get to the point they offer exclusive content comparable in quality and quantity. Streaming will bring great convenience and value to a lot of people but Sony's not doomed.

Barsi

alt account
Banned
Jan 21, 2019
Congrats, you definitely posted the dumbest thing I've read today.

This site sometimes. Literally came off their best year ever, with a system that will probably end up being #2 best seller ever, with studios that consistently produce the best games of the year they get published in and the one major player that already has a streaming service that works. Yes that company is the one that is doomed.
Congrats you are a fanboy that don't respect other opinions.

They produced so few exclusives this gen that someone who defends their actual model can only be a fanboy.

Compare PlayStation 4 to PS1,2 and 3 and see for yourself.

Acclaimed games by critic (mc > 80) MADE by Sony studios this gen:
- uncharted 4, uncharted LL, horizon, infamous second son, God of War and last guardian.

-second party: Spiderman, lbp3, soc Remake, persona 5 and bloodborne.

Do u think this is enough for 6 years? Really?

Look at their first party content(besides second party) how ridiculous it was this gen.

Compare to any other gen. Next gen will be worse.

Jul 20, 2018
tenor.gif

plié

Alt account
Banned
Jan 10, 2019
They'll be just fine, and the future will be great, however they need to adapt to service models for their 1st party games.
I haven't been a fan of Sony this generation, not by a long shot. So I'm hoping for more risks and online based services/games.

Also more unique AAA games.

Deleted member 135

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Since we have a title change I'll speculate.

Q1 or Q4 2020
PlayStation 5
$399.99
Traditional Console and Games First
12Tflops+, robust CPU
4K Blu-Ray for physical media
Exclusives, exclusives, exclusives
Horizon Zero Dawn 2 (Horizon Far Zenith?) launch game, God of War 2 within 18 months, Spider-Man 2 not too far off
Full PS4 Backwards Compatibility at minimum, some titles (TLOU2/GoT) get "PS5 Patches" or ship with "PS5 Modes" to take advantage of additional power beyond a simple "Boost Mode"
DualShock 5 only slightly changed (improved) from DualShock 4, DualShock 4s work with PS5 for most PS5 games
PlayStation VR 2, no breakout box needed
PlayStation Now expanded (boo), they make it clear that streaming is only supplemental. Any game you own digitally can be streamed with PS+ subscription, RemotePlay for all mobile devices and PCs for all owned games downloaded or with disc inserted for free

kurt

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I do really think that sony is to far behind compared to ms & google.
Nintendo is mostly doing his own thing so it's a wait and see.

But i'm sure sony will investigate in online gaming which would be (i think) a lot worse than ms & google.

I could be wrong, but i think that it's done for sony.

Muitnorts

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
All I can think about is the build up to this generation and article after article about how Xbox was in a prime position to dominate and the PlayStation brand had no pull anymore.
That sure as shit didn't work out. Honestly I can see a bit of a decline next gen. It would be very very difficult to maintain the success and market share of the PS4. But it's not a Sony is doomed situation. The PS brand is synonymous with console style gaming in all sorts of places.
Even when the time comes to move to pure streaming or something like that, the Gaikai buyout shows Sony isn't being complacent. They're here to stay in some form or another.

LuckyLinus

Jun 1, 2018
As long as theyre doubling down on their own games nothing will stand in their way. Great games arent made by simply throwing money around, Sony is arguably the best game publisher in the world. Managing projects with that level of quality across so many studios is incredible. Microsoft might get closer with all their new efforts but I dont see Google getting there anytime soon. Nintendo are obviously very good at this as well but theyre always a wild card.

1.21Gigawatts

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Munich
I think they have the best 1st party department, meaning even just through their content they will stay relevant.
But I also think that they have a massive advantage over all competition simply through the fact that Ps4 has an install base of 100 million that will be able to carry all their stuff over to Ps5. Why leave that ecosystem behind? I think customer satisfaction has been high this gen and Sonys exclusives were very successful, so it really shouldn't be a problem to convince people to stay with Playstation when you release sequels to all the popular exclusives of current gen.

And with PsNow and PSVR(2) they are also at the forefront of developments like streaming and VR.

I really don't see Playstation's market dominance ending anytime soon.

Callibretto

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
I don't know how accurate this is, but a friend of mine said it'll be hard for Sony to compete in streaming since they don't have the data center already located all around the world like Microsoft and Google.

Deleted member 17207

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think they'll be fine, but I don't think they're going to dominate the next gen like they did this one, not unless they have something up their sleeve that's just batshit-insanely awesome. If they continue to do what they've been doing, I think they'll get "left behind". The focus of the industry is changing quickly from what Playstation is still seemingly doing (offering cinematic, story-driven, drawn-out experiences in front of the TV) to "play your games any way and anywhere you want". It's not to say there isn't room for both approaches, but I think there's going to be a lot more excitement around the latter. Just look at the Switch, it's a lot less powerful but it's crazy successful and the buzz around it hasn't left the building since its launch.

I also think if they double-down on the whole VR thing it's going to be an even bigger flop. I really think that ship has sailed in terms of its potential for mainstream appeal.

Fantasy

Alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think Microsoft will get too caught up with streaming & Sony will stick close to a powerful (physical) console with the exclusives they're known for.

And with that, I think it might be a repeat of this generation in terms of popularity and sales.

Dunlop

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think I a reading the same threads as you OP. Since the google announcement, it's been a rush of threads and posts to claim how it is already doomed with people practically putting "I WILL NEVER STREAM!!!!" in their signatures.

There is almost no level of debate when it comes to Sony on this board, it's always black and white.

Personally I think Sony will maintain their dominance next gen. They control markets that streaming or hardware competitors cannot touch. Afterwards who knows.

WiZaRdOuS

Nov 8, 2018
I do really think that sony is to far behind compared to ms & google.
Nintendo is mostly doing his own thing so it's a wait and see.

But i'm sure sony will investigate in online gaming which would be (i think) a lot worse than ms & google.

I could be wrong, but i think that it's done for sony.

How is Sony far behind ? How is Nintendo doing their own thing but the others aren't? You mean sony, who already have a platform and infrastructure for streaming that can/ will only get better.... will be ALOT worse?

Ii'm just curious, not saying you're right or wrong

Equanimity

Oct 27, 2017
London
They better have the games and a good deal or they're going to compete with their own stuff... And Microsoft too lol. They both need those cheap GPUs to do something better than current gen.

I'm sure they will. There's also a new PlayStation studio in Manchester, England.

The least we can expect is Google Stadia's GPU level performance of around 11 teraflops, 16GB RAM and a much better CPU.

Oct 28, 2017
Reasons to be concerned:

- being arrogant again

Is this a meme? someone ELI5 this post pls.

Deleted member 984

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sony is currently way ahead of the curve. Leaders in console sales, highest number of games sold, most VR headsets sold, streaming service in the wild and has been for years, most diverse range of games outside of PC, many exclusives from big names still to be released. No idea on PS+ subscribers or sales by digital stores but i'll assume they are leaders in those as well.

Others are starting to talk about the next steps in some of these areas and Sony hasn't shown their hand. They won't have been sitting on their hands in these areas and PlayStation has been one of the biggest profit makers for Sony so they aren't going to sleep on pushing the product forward, they also know that Microsoft, Google, Facebook and others all want a share of the pie and the generation reboot is the best time for them to grab that.

Ωλ7XL9

Oct 27, 2017
Strongest brand ever and it's going to keep getting stronger as we transition to next gen. Sony sure would be having big plans to cater to a wide variety of gamers, gamers who want traditional gaming which includes disc based or digital downloads to those who want to simply stream their games. There's going to be something for every type of gamer. Exciting times are ahead for PlayStation!

kurt

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
How is Sony far behind ? How is Nintendo doing their own thing but the others aren't? You mean sony, who already have a platform and infrastructure for streaming that can/ will only get better.... will be ALOT worse?

Ii'm just curious, not saying you're right or wrong

Sony & Microsoft have always been on the same level, having almost the same multiplatform games.
Their main focus is not on creating something different, but focusing on more horsepower race.

Nintendo is mostly working on taking different directions then those 2.
We have to see and wait. wii was a huge success, Wii u was huge fail, switch is a huge success again.

Anyway, let's be honest here. Google & Microsoft have much more experience in the streaming section.
If we compare sony with none related gaming things, we know that ms & google has much much more experience within this section.
Setting up servers/providing the right streaming software and things like that... I can't honestly see how it's possible for sony coming close to those 2.
The same things goes for nintendo, they don't have any experience in this section. They did do a good job with the wii u streaming though.

It's only an opinion, so in the end it's wait and see.

Dizastah

Oct 25, 2017
Reasons to be concerned:

- being arrogant again
14477.jpg

tr00per

Nov 4, 2017
They're going to activate ps4s in rest mode to render games for people on their smartphones
/sarcasm

They're not going anywhere anytime soon. Especially if they double down on the traditional model to gain good will like they did this gen. Let's just hope their communication improves

It would actually be interesting to see some contrast in consoles again (between MS and Sony) with a disc drive, VR, locally rendered machine

Deleted member 22585

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
EU
Their very strong exclusive games will make their products and/or services attractive. But man, Stadia / streaming comes earlier and looks more mature than I expected. So I don't know if and how Sony will be able to match that. They need some good ass new ideas and value propositions.

Maligna

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
PlayStation needs to double down on VR next gen to differentiate themselves from Stadia and other streaming services as it's something they can offer that the competition can't.

CatAssTrophy

Dec 4, 2017
Texas

Q1 or Q4 2020
PlayStation 5
$399.99
12Tflops+, robust CPU
Horizon Zero Dawn 2 (Horizon Far Zenith?) launch game, God of War 2 within 18 months, Spider-Man 2 not too far off
Full PS4 Backwards Compatibility at minimum, some titles (TLOU2/GoT) get "PS5 Patches" or ship with "PS5 Modes" to take advantage of additional power beyond a simple "Boost Mode"
DualShock 5 only slightly changed (improved) from DualShock 4, DualShock 4s work with PS5 for most PS5 games
PlayStation Now expanded (boo), they make it clear that streaming is only supplemental. Any game you own digitally can be streamed with PS+ subscription, RemotePlay for all mobile devices and PCs for all owned games downloaded or with disc inserted for free

This is a good baseline I think. A really solid guesstimation.

I'd throw in some stuff about better tools and services of some sort for developers and publishers. (think Pub Fund and better deals for smaller studios and indies etc. but more broad) Also expanding remote play (directly from your console, not just the streaming service) to as many devices as possible including unlocking the app on Android to any devices with X version of Android and higher. I really think they are going to push a heavy "play anywhere" vision that lines up with what you mentioned. Any of your games, anywhere. I'm curious though if they could somehow enhance the streaming experience beyond what your PS5 is physically capable of though. IE: PS5 can do 4k/60/HDR but with the streaming service version it's 4K/up to 144hz/HDR/better graphics. Think of it this way: the PS4 version of BFV looks great, but the PC version looks even better. What if the streaming version of BFV looked like the PC version or better to give you an incentive to use the streaming service instead of a local copy? Weird way to phrase it, I know.

wollywinka

Feb 15, 2018
There will still be a market for future PS generations. Don't underestimate the number of people living on submarines or those without an always-on Internet connection. On a more serious note, I think PS5 will be just fine. PS6 might be a different story, though. For Cloud gaming, Sony is at a significant disadvantage compared to the tech giants. However, PlayStation has enviable brand recognition, something Sony must effectively leverage going forward. The starting gun has been fired.

Remo Williams

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 13, 2018
They will definitely remain a significant player. I don't expect them to do as well as they managed this gen (in relative terms, because I expect others to do better, and there will also be new big players to share the market with), but they won't be marginalized either.

Vito

One Winged Slayer - Formerly Undead Fantasy
Oct 25, 2017

Q1 or Q4 2020
PlayStation 5
$399.99
12Tflops+, robust CPU
The dream.

Expect I rather have PS5 remasters of PS4 games at retail with DLC on disc.

Osiris397

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Some of their current IP are getting long in the tooth, but some of it is really ready for new iterations. Sony likes to keep really good games under wraps for long periods of time and then lower the boom, but there's a question mark about whether they can do that again. Basically if whatever they have under wraps that they pull the curtain back on for PS5 is new, fresh and/or highly anticipated Playstation is going to be a juggernaut going forward. If what they show for PS5 is kind of middling conceptually, but it looks pretty and Xbox has a great E3, Playstation is going to have problems. I can understand why people are predicting doom and gloom. All of Sony's greatest studios have released or will be releasing PS4 games between the end of 2018 and going into 2019 meaning it's going to be another 3-6 years before more games come from them. It's unlikely Sony has nothing, but is whatever they have going to be enough to satiate gamers? I don't know. Playstation 5 will have more time to develop even if the launch doesn't go spectacularly since more and more people are looking to play Xbox games places other than on an Xbox. Based on the number of times Shawn Layden has said Sony has great plans for 2019 I tend to think Sony might have just enough hiding in the cubbert waiting for the PS5 launch, but we'll have wait and see.

Basically game streaming isn't really competition to Playstation, Xbox or Switch at this point and here's why I think so:

While half or a little less then half of the console gaming community seems to prefer digital sales (Most console gamers prefer Physical Games - 9 months ago), probably half or less then half of that half is interested in streaming and then less then half of that half is committed to streaming as their primary source of game content from Google in particular or even MS.

From my perspective all of these "no name" game streaming services are going to bomb and even the MS streaming, which will probably do the best isn't going to do that well. Putting the cart before the horse, pushing game streaming before even the majority of console gamers have adopted digital retail, is just going to set the games industry (publishers) up for an incredible back lash.

Right now nobody's favorite game has been snapped up exclusively for a year on a streaming network, but you know it's coming. Considering how much backlash EGS is getting now I can only imagine the rage that might flare up if FIFA and/or GTA6 or even God forbid Cyberpunk 2077 have 1 year launch exclusivity on Stadia the internet is going to go completely mental.
It's largely going to depend on how compelling their next new batch of games actually is.

Rosol

Oct 29, 2017
The idea that they're behind is really weird to me, they are the market leader - it's their game to lose at this point. While Google and MS have more datacenters, this doesn't mean everyone one of those in their 'cloud' actually has the hardware to stream gaming - and also we have no guarantee that you will connect to the one closest to you. The special servers have to be built and equipped and aren't really able to be used for anything else most likely. We don't really even know if all their data centers will have the custom equipment for streaming. They cannot just use the current servers and scaling architecture for streaming games; there is significant investment on their end to add addition servers just for streaming. Sony can and will add more datacenters if they need to, and utilize other's infrastructure if necessary - but the truth is the advantages of the current 'cloud' these companies have is only really there in that they have a place already rented out to house the new servers and not much more than that.