Status
Not open for further replies.

Trejo

Oct 25, 2017
Holy shit I have no idea what any of this is. Is this a mainly a western/American thing? And what's with all the "if you don't know what this shit is you're also a scumbag" posts up in here? Fuck me dead my gf loves games and she would also have no idea what any of this news or who Steve bannon is

And here's the hiding behind the girlfriend defense! Do we have bingo yet?

Cantaim

Oct 25, 2017
The Stussining
Sigh I remember seeing this game and getting excited for it last year. Game looks slick and I even played the browser game it was based on and knew I'd love to play a bigger version of this just to experience more of it. Then I saw the creator's twitter. And then this game got to join Kingdom Come on my "never supporting this game ever" list.

NewDonkStrong

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
It looked so incredible and then it was almost immediately revealed to be MRA bullshit that I will never support.

Dekim

Oct 28, 2017
GG happened 4 years ago. It is not unreasonable for someone to not know what it is, especially if they don't follow the gaming industry regularly.

Oct 25, 2017
Just checked his Twitter and the last thing he's said about it is needing animators. Still seems to be a ways off.

Anyway, I don't think being a controversial figure would prevent stage presence. Last year had products by Adrian Chmielarz and Justin Roiland on the MS stage (or was one of them Sony, I forget?).

Myradeer

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
i know that's why i'm asking for your take after having read the wikipedia article
Is there need to be accusatory against someone who does not claim to know Gamergate much? ResetERA does tend to have users knowledgable on the subject, but I'd honestly save energy for those who've been confirmed to be crapsack.

Daysean

Nov 15, 2017
What the hell are some of you people talking about...

Geez
Going to give the benefit of doubt because why not, some people don't know EVERYTHING at all times, but that poster is making a reference to the countless other posters in the past who would pretend to not know about the situation and then proceed to shitpost on the matter at hand.
With enough excuses to make a BINGO chart out of

Oct 25, 2017
Is there need to be accusatory against someone who does not claim to know Gamergate much? ResetERA does tend to have users knowledgable on the subject, but I'd honestly save energy for those who've been confirmed to be crapsack.

In this thread alone I've seen 4 peoples or developers names, one politician (apparently) and a billion different acronyms thrown around and I have no idea who or what they were. I only found out what "sjw" stood for a few months ago. True story.

All I can say is more of you have more time to read and/or discuss these things "behind the games" than I do. And if this developer is indeed putting negative ideaologies in his games then I stand on the side of no thanks. Not because me, personally, have strong views either way. I try and not be manipulated by any media to influence my thoughts or ideaologies either way. Don't watch tv, read mainstream news or anything. It just depresses me. But it's indeed alarming that anyone who doesn't know about these topics automatically gets dumped in a pile of shame.

Alucrid

Chicken Photographer
Oct 25, 2017

i'm curious as to their takeaway from it after having avoided the subject for so long. why is that a problem?

Orb

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
Pretty sure it was shown off at judge's week, so we'll see it at the show in some capacity

Oct 25, 2017
Going to give the benefit of doubt because why not, some people don't know EVERYTHING at all times, but that poster is making a reference to the countless other posters in the past who would pretend to not know about the situation and then proceed to shitpost on the matter at hand.
With enough excuses to make a BINGO chart out of

Had no idea not knowing and/or bringing up a partner/friend/work colleagues who don't know everything that happens in the industry behind closed doors or on social media makes you a piece of shit. Anyway I'm done. I came to read about the game and I see all of this and I'm just like whoa ok I also don't know any of this "controversy" so what am I?

Oct 27, 2017
Even though I can conceive of an interesting sci fi premise of a man's search for personal meaning in a future where basic necessities and equality is all but guaranteed... This dudes tweets don't give me much confidence he can deliver. Politically, he's kind of a basic bitch.

Trejo

Oct 25, 2017
What the hell are you even talking about?

Like literally what the hell are you talking about? Are you trying to be witty/funny/categorise me from absolutely nothing? Is that what you're really trying to do?

Well, so far we've got "Day 1 who cares lol", "What's a GamerGate?", "Yeah, well, what about this other thing?!", "I'm just asking questions bro", "Maybe the devs views have changed since then", "I don't follow gaming news", "It's only a vocal minority" and your very own "Well my girlfriend is okay with it" among other of the usual dumbass defensive posts when talking about games made by people with troubling or outright disgusting views. I'm sorry I couldn't give you "Is this an America thing?" since someone else already used that one.

What the hell are some of you people talking about...

Geez

See above.

Kaxi

Oct 30, 2017
Poland
*Edit*

Between the moment I started writing my post to the moment I published it, a lot happened in this topic and it went pretty bad, so I edited out my take on the game, assuming nothing good will come out of it. Feel free to delete.

Last edited:

HanSoloCup

Oct 27, 2017
Richmond, VA
You are assuming that by financially supporting such movie/game it translates into more content of such view by the same studio/director/creator. That is not inherently true, at least, from my point of view, as studios keep releasing new content constantly.

I will agree that just because something made a massive amount of profit, it does not mean that more of that same content will necessarily be created, but a proven IP is a lot easier to sell than a new one. Studios (both film and game) are generally risk averse, and will tend to stick with what they assume works. 50 Shades made a lot of money, and we ended up with 2 sequels being filmed. However, if the original doesn't generate the necessary revenue, a studio generally will not have greenlight a sequel (i.e. Ender's Game, Prince of Persia, Eragon, Solo most likely).

Also, again, following the same logic here, Dakota Johnson is actively defending the portrayal of women as sexual objects by doing her role and receiving money for it. That is not even remotely true.

My logic was in reference to the creators, not the actors. But, to address your comment, I wouldn't necessarily say she is actively defending that portrayal, but she is definitely passively defending that portrayal just by taking that role. There was a reason why so many actors and actresses turned that role down, but money talks louder to some than others.

In any case, I think we both sit on different sides of the fence here, and that you've made up your mind, and I mine. Thanks for keeping it congenial, I appreciate someone who can discuss things without getting heated.

Mesoian

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 28, 2017
I don't even know what the hell GamerGate is to be honest. And I have no clue as to what the games story is about... I will play it and find out for myself

Well then by all means, let me get you caught up.

It's amazing how much things spun out of control once the dust settled too.

Alucrid

Chicken Photographer
Oct 25, 2017
Had no idea not knowing and/or bringing up a partner/friend/work colleagues who don't know everything that happens in the industry behind closed doors or on social media makes you a piece of shit. Anyway I'm done. I came to read about the game and I see all of this and I'm just like whoa ok I also don't know any of this "controversy" so what am I?

that depends. are you going to attempt to fill in this gap of knowledge you seem to have?

Kazoku_

Oct 27, 2017
What I expected:
Information about the status of The Last Night.

What I found:
giphy.gif

The OT is going to be a bloodbath.

Myradeer

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
i'm curious as to their takeaway from it after having avoided the subject for so long. why is that a problem?
Perhaps it's just me but some of posts here seemed unnecesarily accusatory in tone, and I know there are non-Westerners here (albeit minority).

I guess I like adopting cautious attitide, if they did not know information posted here should help enlighten them, and if they're trolls they will show their nature soon enough without engaging them unnecessarily.

Oct 25, 2017
that depends. are you going to attempt to fill in this gap of knowledge you seem to have?

Already on it as mentioned above it seems to be that the guy who is making the game is a bit of a dickhead? For what it's worth this thread has made me not want to touch this game but that was before I even read about what all of this stuff was about, so I guess it's worked? FWIW I don't read twitter or have it. I'm old man, fuck.

Myradeer

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Also there really should be some documentation listing all the problems with this game (WAY worse offender than Kingdom Deliverance) so mod or poster can simply put that and get all these talking over with.

Edit: Channel Awesome controversy was extremely effective because there were documentation that were very informative and left little room for CA supporters to maneuver.

oxymoron

Oct 27, 2017
A couple more of his Twitter likes:
5bTF0Y3.png

WRh2kUk.png

(That reads: "If there's a 'convergence of struggles', it's between bigots and the thought police, whose victims are always women and gays." Links to an article reading
"In democracy, there's always a justified feared of a tyranny of the majority. However, today, we face another threat: public space is being subsumed by the identity-based claims of minorities, or rather, by individuals who consider that they are discriminated against on an axis of their being that they claim both essential and minority. The fight against discrimination, normally perfectly legitimate, betrays itself and makes way to aggressive claims, and affirming the right to be different tumbles into a requirement of different rights based on an imagined one-dimensional identity.")

Those two likes, along with the other two that were posted upthread, are all from the last week. Homeboy is still trash.

Order

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
ITT we pretend to have forgotten that the dev is a Gator and use that selective memory as an excuse to praise the graphics. Then when people bring up the whole Gator thing we will hem and haw and some version of "it's just a game, man" or "let's play it before we judge it" will get dragged out.

About as subtle as a David Cage game.
Realest post itt

gblues

Oct 25, 2017
Tigard, OR
Keep trying that ignorance plea, someone might buy it eventually. Your post history speaks for itself.

(woops, sorry Order I'm subtweeting someone else, this isn't directed at you)

Mesoian

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 28, 2017
A couple more of his Twitter likes:
5bTF0Y3.png

WRh2kUk.png

(That reads: "If there's a 'convergence of struggles', it's between bigots and the thought police, whose victims are always women and gays." Links to an article reading
"In democracy, there's always a justified feared of a tyranny of the majority. However, today, we face another threat: public space is being subsumed by the identity-based claims of minorities, or rather, by individuals who consider that they are discriminated against on an axis of their being that they claim both essential and minority. The fight against discrimination, normally perfectly legitimate, betrays itself and makes way to aggressive claims, and affirming the right to be different tumbles into a requirement of different rights based on an imagined one-dimensional identity.")

Those two likes, along with the other two that were posted upthread, are all from the last week. Homeboy is still trash.
"Won't someone please think of the real victims, white men who want to yell on the internet with no repercussions!"

Geeze, some things never change.

Edit: fixed because that was a little unfair.

Wispmetas

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Interested in seeing more of the game, visually looks very interesting!
Looking at this thread, some people really need to understand that people that are more casual in the way they experience this hobby can and do not know everything that has happened in the past with a certain dev of a particular game that appeared for the first time to the public on microsoft's conference.

Trejo

Oct 25, 2017
Already on it as mentioned above it seems to be that the guy who is making the game is a bit of a dickhead? For what it's worth this thread has made me not want to touch this game but that was before I even read about what all of this stuff was about, so I guess it's worked? FWIW I don't read twitter or have it. I'm old man, fuck.

For what it's worth I'd like to apologise if my reply came across as too confrontational in case you really did know nothing about this game or the larger conversation surrounding it and others like it. It's just that I've seen enough dishonest rhetoric being thrown around in an attempt to obfuscate and deviate from real issues that it starts getting a little harder to give people the benefit of the doubt. I hope you understand.

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
Wonder what Microsoft is going to do going forward. I imagine they'll stay away from promoting the game and just let it quietly release on their platforms.

MrNelson

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Well, so far we've got "Day 1 who cares lol", "What's a GamerGate?", "Yeah, well, what about this other thing?!", "I'm just asking questions bro", "Maybe the devs views have changed since then", "I don't follow gaming news", "It's only a vocal minority" and your very own "Well my girlfriend is okay with it" among other of the usual dumbass defensive posts when talking about games made by people with troubling or outright disgusting views. I'm sorry I couldn't give you "Is this an America thing?" since someone else already used that one.
I haven't seen the bolded happen yet in the thread. I saw someone say their girlfriend loves games and isn't aware of GG on the previous page, is that what you got it mixed with?

Clix

Banned
And here's the hiding behind the girlfriend defense! Do we have bingo yet?

What the hell are you talking about? My wife plays games too and she had no idea what GG is either until she asked me a year ago. Hell, I didn't even know about GG until two years ago when someone mentioned it on another forum I go to. Cause I usually don't frequent gaming forums and only joined a small one a few years ago to discuss a podcast I really like with the rest of the listeners.

I can guarantee you that out of all my friends, there are like two that know what GG is. Heck I bet I can ask random co-workers in my office what it is and maybe one person is find that knows what it is. Why? Because most people who game, and this is anecdotal of course, that I know don't really go into gaming enthusiast forums unless looking for a guide.

As for people who don't really play games, a lot of that crap stayed within gaming communities or communities that share cross over, like fandoms. Or social media. Because hardly any of the non gaming accounts I follow have even breached that subject.

It's not ignorance, but you'd be surprised how little non enthusiasts care about what whiney, misogynist children in adult bodies have to say or about our hobby in general.

Trejo

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't seen the bolded happen yet in the thread. I saw someone say their girlfriend loves games and isn't aware of GG on the previous page, is that what you got it mixed with?

Yes, you might be right. It skewed so close to the regular taking point that I might have jumped the gun a bit. It's understandable that one's SO might not be as well-versed on such topics. I find the part about not knowing who Steve Bannon is a little harder to believe given his previous notoriety and prominence on the worldwide news stage but it's still my bad.

Oct 25, 2017
Osaka, Osaka
People really want to buy this game, and they're very eager to put any unpleasant information out of their minds, whether it be buy simply ignoring it or by minimizing how much it should matter to them in this situation.

The cognitive dissonance is strong in this thread.

It takes no time at all to answer these questions, if you wanted answers to them.

I mean wiki's summary at the top is good enough to understand: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gamergate_controversy

Pssh, you mean one can simply educate themselves before buying something? Ridiculous. That'd take forever.

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
Reworking the fiction to remove the ANTI-SJW themes? :P Nah, probably just because very few devs that it's going to be a while.

I played a demo of The Last Night back in 2014.
Well could be, as he has stated later on that the game will not be about what it was originally going to be. Though I still have my doubts on the content, but I'll wait and see. Nothing I can do to affect the game, but I can not buy and play it when it comes out if it's some stupid shit.

gblues

Oct 25, 2017
Tigard, OR
Yes, you might be right. It skewed so close to the regular taking point that I might have jumped the gun a bit. It's understandable that one's SO might not be as well-versed on such topics. I find the part about not knowing who Steve Bannon is a little harder to believe given his previous notoriety and prominence on the worldwide news stage but it's still my bad.

Nah, your instincts were right. Now they're just gaslighting you.

Here is the standard TLD script:
1. blind fanboy post: "NICE GFX DAY ONE!"
2. feigned ignorance: "What's a GamerGate?"
3. when confronted, get offended: "Lay off me, dude, I don't follow all the gaming news!"
4. if pressure continues, double down on claims of ignorance: "I'm old I don't use that new fangled Twitter!"

Get a new script guys and troll somewhere else.

Oct 25, 2017
Well my question to you would be, what are his intentions with this game in the first place? I'm willing to bet it's not a tear down of feminism or a victory banner for Gamergate. I believe, genuinely, that just because he has these opinions in no way means that it will be some sort of reflection of what the game itself conveys. That's why I bring Kingdom Come up in this case. That game had no allusions to any of the controversial views that the lead designer had in regards to GG or other social issues.

If he's a shitty person, and has truly learned nothing, then everyone can choose to support the game if they'd like. I'm not here to tell you to set the convictions aside if you absolutely can't / don't want to. It's your prerogative. But for people to try and mob the publisher of the game into dropping the title because of a singular entity? That's pretty damning to everyone else involved with the project.

I may be wrong, but I could have sworn the original intention of the game was something like "the feminists/socialists have won" (paraphrasing) and they've since changed it.

MrNelson

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Eh, my girlfriend is more plugged in than the average person (she's been well aware of GG since it started) and even she didn't know about Steve Bannon until recently because she doesn't follow politics to the same level that I do.

Status
Not open for further replies.