• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
I killed a shiny Onix in Silver and have never met a single other shiny, despite probably 2000 hours between Pokemon games since Silver.

My only shinies are from events and Gyarados.

Leo

Oct 27, 2017
My first one was a Hoppip in Crystal that I didn't catch, not sure why. I think I didn't know what shinies were, nor that they were so rare.

The first one I caught was a Sewaddle and that was totally by accident, because it was the first time I was seeing a Sewaddle, so I didn't know what color they were supposed to be (that was my first black playthrough) and I only caught it because it was cute. When I went to check it, I realized it was a shiny, cause of the star in the profile, and I went crazy with how lucky I got.

J-Tier

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Southern California
I got a shiny Mankey in Blue. Next was Red Gyarados from Gold which everyone got. Never encountered another until Sapphire with Numel which I accidentally killed because I was grinding on autopilot.

Falchion

Oct 25, 2017
Boise
I don't believe I've ever seen a legit one in the wild unless it was in the first few generations and I just didn't know the difference.

Xiyng

Oct 31, 2017
Well, I have a Magikarp in Pokémon Go... And that's it. I was unfortunate enough to only get my first Nintendo console relatively recently, and while I do have some Pokémon games for my DS, I haven't had time to play them enough to get a shiny yet. But one day...

KLonso

Oct 27, 2017
Shiny slowpoke from the safari zone in HG/SS, one of my peak moments of excitement in gaming.

gcncontroller

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
FL
the first one i encountered naturally in the wild was a shiny nincada in pokemon ruby. this was only like four years ago, mind, and i've been playing pokemon for a long time. it's still the only non-bred/chained shiny i've ever come across (though i did also manage to hatch a shiny non-masuda method feebas AND zubat in pokemon x while i was on the pokedex completion grind)

the cool thing about nincada was that when it evolved i got a shiny ninjask AND shedinja out of the deal. two for the price of one!

Quo Vadis

Oct 27, 2017
Either Gastly or Haunter. I say this because after checking my Pearl save-file years after playing the game, I found out I have a shiny Gengar under my name (I caught it, apparently). The thing is I don't even remember ever catching a shiny Gastly or Haunter before...let alone trading it to evolve it to Gengar.

RadioJoNES

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Spr_3e_100_s.png

This guy in New Mauville. My neighbor tricked me into trading it for a regular one.

Zalman

Oct 25, 2017
Shiny Tangela in Crystal. I caught it outside of Mt. Silver. At that time I didn't actually know shiny versions were at thing outside of Red Gyarados, so I was surprised.

BlakeofT

Oct 30, 2017
I was farming for a thick club in LG. That area was flooded with Geodudes. I was doing this while watching TV so I was only half paying attention. I noticed that one Geodude was slightly more brown or green than the others, but I thought that maybe I had just misremembered what color they were. I slapped my forehead when I realized what it was after knocking it out. Didn't catch it obviously, but it was my first encounter.

RionaaM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Mine was a starter Fennekin in Pokemon Y. I wasn't looking for it, I only resetted a few times to give someone else and myself all 3 starters. On my last reset, the one that was going to be my definitive save, I happened to choose this beauty:
ieIiHLO.jpg

And it evolved into a fantastic purple Braixen:
5OiamI8.jpg

It's a Delphox now, but I'm not a fan of that one.

The first one I deliberately resetted for is Lugia (took me a little over 600 resets):
SMXAuNN.jpg

Arrrammis

Oct 25, 2017
Green Zubat in Sapphire. It looked pretty cool, then evolved to a green Golbat, and was looking forward to a green Crobat, but apparently shiny Crobats are hot pink... that was a surprise. Kept it on my Elite 4 team though, good times.

ShiftyHermit

Oct 27, 2017
It was a Rattata, and I thought the game had glitched because I didn't know anything about the shiny Pokemon. I hated the color palette compared to a regular one so I caught a regular one and released the shiny.

First one I caught and kept was a Poocheyna

Robo

Oct 27, 2017
I remember watching my younger brother play Pokemon Gold and encountering a shiny Tentacool while surfing. That was the first time either of us saw a shiny. It sure caught us by surprise.

My own very first shiny wasn't until Gen 4 on like my 3rd playthrough of HG, I ran into a pink Wooper. I think I ended up losing it over the course of transferring many Pokemon and restarting them from scratch. :(

laoni

Oct 25, 2017
I encountered a shiny Psyduck in the National Park in Pokemon Crystal. Convinced my game had bugged, I murdered it with extreme prejudice, and prayed to the Pokegods that I wouldn't have a corrupted save file in the morning

Deleted member 4532

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A Zangoose in Ruby but I didn't know what shinies were so I made it faint. My first caught shiny was a Fearow from Pearl

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
Outside of Red Gyarados, my first shiny encounter was like 10min into SoulSilver. It was a Sentret and this was before the game gave you pokeballs...

My actual first catch was also in SS. It was a shiny Slowpoke, which has just a slightly off-pink tint. Best shiny luck ever!

Nilou

Oct 25, 2017
A shiny Zigzagoon in Sapphire but I encountered it before the game even gives you your first pokeballs :'( Have caught a Shiny Drozwee in SS and a Shiny Joltik in White since though at least.

abrack

Unshakable Resolve
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
DFW
Assuming we don't count the Red Gyarados from G/S/C, the first one I remember getting was a shiny Geodude in Diamond. I don't hate Geodude or anything but it was a pretty bleh first shiny. Evolved him into a Golem and eventually boxed him up.

MP!

Oct 30, 2017
Las Vegas
It was in fire red... (i hadnt played pokemon since yellow) I was walking through a cave and some ugly green zubat appeared ... it was uglier and more obnoxious than a regular zubat so I killed it. Figured it was some glitch, years later I realized my mistake.

Bitanator

Oct 27, 2017
I've only seen two my entire playthroughs of over 1000+ hours of pokemon.
A shiny Nidorino who ran after a safari ball was chucked on his noggin in Fire Red
A Shiny Drowzee in Pokemon Silver near the daycare who I caught with last pokeball

Larrikin

Oct 25, 2017
This little guy in a bug-catching contest:
weedle.png

Was playing on Gameboy Pocket (so Monochrome colours) and was only half paying attention cause I was just trying to find something good to win a Sun Stone, but in the corner of my eye thought I saw the sparkles and decided to take a chance on waiting two days for next contest in hopes it really was a shiny.

Was very happy when I saw that triple star in the pokemon's page.

David Kjellson

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Sweden
It was either a Shellos or Gastrodon in Diamond. I can't remember which. It's also the only shiny Pokémon I've found.

I traded it for a Pearl exclusive.

SartrG

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
A shiny Ratatta outside Pallet Town in Silver. It was way, way after I finished the game and I just liked to roam around, filling my pokedex the most I could (since I didn't know anyone with a GB to trade with). I wasn't really paying attention, so I didn't see the shiny intro, but since it was a little lighter in color than usual, I decided to catch it.

Years later, in Emerald, I caught a Shiny Oddish outside the Safari Zone. Once again, I wasn't paying attention, but noticed it was green instead of blue. I couldn't remember if normal Oddish were green or blue, so I decided to catch it.

In Pearl, I caught a Shiny Onix in the Victory Road. That one I did see it's shiny intro.
Then in X (my last Pokemon game), I got a Shiny Aerodactyl from the amber you get in the story, and accidentally killed a Shiny Hoppip when EV training a Blastoise (Selected Surf instead of another Water attack) outside the Daycare.

DevilPuncher

Aggressively Mediocre
Oct 25, 2017
This motherfucker:
021.png

The problem? NOBODY ELSE IN MIDDLE SCHOOL BELIEVED THAT IT WAS A SHINY BECAUSE IT DOESN'T LOOK VERY DISTINCT

I liked it, but goddamn. It's hard to brag about a shiny when nobody believes you.

DPT120

Oct 27, 2017
Shiny Magikarp in Emerald right outside of Juan's gym. Was surfing to heal up my Pokemon and encountered it.

MegaRockEXE

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
I think my first shiny was in the first Pokemon game I owned which was Sapphire. I might have been a Numel or a Wingull. I evolved both. I found a shiny Magikarp as well. Then a shiny Tentacool, but it may have been in Leaf Green.

The Shiny Charm is the best thing to have happened in recent games. I have about 15 legit shinies I either caught or hatched in my Sun game.

Phendrana

Oct 26, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
A Golbat in Pokemon Gold. Caught it in the small cave connecting Johto and Kanto on my first pass through.

golbat.png

I was initially kind of bummed when it evolved into a pale pink Crobat, but warmed up to it pretty quickly. I also caught a shiny Tentacool in Silver, but never bothered using it because I hated Tentacool/Tentacruel.

Deadweight

Oct 29, 2017
I was leveling in Ruby outside of Mauville and found a shiny Volbeat. I proceeded to catch it and shove it in my box just to say I caught one even though I never used it.

Razmos

Unshakeable One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Technically the first I encountered (other than Red Gyarados obviously) was a shiny Exeggcute in the safari zone in one of the Gen 2 games. With it being the safari zone it obviously ran away.

I didn't encounter another shiny until Pokemon Diamond where I caught a shiny Drifloon through soft resetting. Since then I have caught quite a few through multiple methods.

My most recent catch was very cathartic, a shiny Alolan Exeggcute. To make up for the one that got away so many years ago

Dr. Coz

Oct 27, 2017
Maryland, USA
I found and captured a purple Drowzee in Pokemon Gold. At the time, I didn't know what shiny pokemon were because I thought the red Gyarados was just a unique pokemon in the game. I never used it for anything but I thought it looked cool.

Quadaess

Oct 27, 2017
Sevilla
A Shiny Zigzagoon i got the day I started Sapphire, like 5 minutes after I got my first set of Pokeballs :phew:
Unfortunately, the color is almost the same as the normal one.

NekoNeko

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
besides the story ones that everyone gets i haven't captured a single one. i put 200h+ in each generation
100h+ in each remake, own every pokemon rpg game ever released.

i have two living pokedex.

fuck me.

kodax_shc

Oct 27, 2017
Southern California
The first wild one I ever found was Kricketot in Platinum. Found it right after the game handed me a few of my first pokeballs. Felt incredibly lucky. Aside from that I have found a few others in the wild. In X and Y it was easy enough to chain fishing shinies so I did that for a while.