• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

hiryu64

Oct 27, 2017
It was either Turok: Dinosaur Hunter or Goldeneye. Probably Turok. Either way, it was on the N64.

Catdaddy

Oct 27, 2017
TN
Zero Tolerance on the Sega Genesis, loved the FPS so much bought a computer that would run Doom.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Probably Dark Forces, or Doom.

I played Wolf3D during highshool when some awesome person loaded it on all the computer lab's PCs, would have been later though.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
Probably had to be Wolfenstein 3D. I was playing on a lowish-spec 286, so it didn't run particularly smooth, but my eyes still took some getting use to the motion. I didn't have a sound-card either, so the PC-speaker blips and bloops were how my brain learned the game.

I loved it. There was some question in my family if it was appropriate, but they decided it wasn't overly gruesome, and didn't do anything particularly tacky with art-style it went for around the subject matter. Eventually my household upgraded to a 386 (not a lot of RAM, though) that we bought through a local university's Excess Property department. Games like Doom, Blake Stone Aliens of Gold, Rise of the Triad, Duke Nukem 3D, and Chex Quest followed. Really anything that I could find a boxed shareware release of at my local drugstore.

I got really good at (1) eyeballing low FPS counts and (2) optimizing games to run on systems that maybe shouldn't have run them. Bypassing windows with a [Shift] boot straight into DOS was pretty clutch.

psychedelic

Oct 30, 2017
Probably Counter Strike or Medal of Honor. The former is an ageless classic in my book. Some of my fondest gaming memories is having a lan session with a number of friends and playing for a number of hours.

Barrel Cannon

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I have foggy memory but it was Wolfenstein 3D or DOOM. If you mean real 3D then it would be Quake.

Doom 2 is what made me really fall in love with FPS singleplayer games(played before Quake) and Counterstrike's beta mods in 1999 were what got me into MP FPS games. I jumped into UT shortly after, then Quake 3 Arena, then started playing CS again and rotated between that and UT consistently for a long while.

Thatguy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle WA
I hate to admit this but it's Chex Quest.

Chex_Quest-front_cover.png

Sabretooth

Oct 27, 2017
India
The demo version of Quake III Arena, which my dad installed not long after we got a computer. He said he installed it so that I could learn to use a mouse and keyboard at once. I don't think I had the co-ordination for it, and my hands were too small any way, given that I was 9. I think the first FPS I really got into may have been Unreal Tournament, and I played that exclusively by keyboard (vs bots, easiest difficulty). Can't remember when exactly I got to using both mouse and keyboard.

panda-zebra

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
MIDI Maze on Atari ST. We had a little Atari party in the remote depths of a forest in mid-Wales, raided the not-so-local electronics shop of all its MIDI cables, then linked all our machines up up for my first taste of multiplayer FPS. Incredible at the time.

Alric

Oct 27, 2017
Wolfenstein 3D, I even remember the exact moment I first saw and played the game. I was visiting my Karate instructors house with my dad and the instructors step kids were there and the oldest had a PC. He was playing Wolfenstein 3D and was just putting in a cheat code for immortality. I got to play around with it a little bit. Then we played Cyborg Justice on the Genesis. So it was around 93' I guess.

JMC

Oct 27, 2017
Wolfenstein 3D, I even remember the exact moment I first saw and played the game. I was visiting my Karate instructors house with my dad and the instructors step kids were there and the oldest had a PC. He was playing Wolfenstein 3D and was just putting in a cheat code for immortality. I got to play around with it a little bit. Then we played Cyborg Justice on the Genesis. So it was around 93' I guess.

Likewise, the 3D effect was so smooth and the whole concept really new to me so that I still remember the first time seeing Wolf3D running on my uncle's computer.

Ultima Underworld and Terra Nova are two others I vividly remember for their 3D world from around that era.

Last edited:

Joe_Bush

Oct 27, 2017
Kansas
I'm having to rack my brain here, but I think it was Medal of Honor: Frontline for the PS2. I think all of my friends had that game and I remember being mostly lukewarm to it but everyone else was so high on it that I had to at least give it a shot

Pal

Tried to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Spear of Destiny

Technically, it would have to be Ultima Underworld though. Anyway, I remember my brother telling me about this totally new game, "Doom", which he played and thought was both creepy and fantastic looking. During that time, I was a member of a club for young kids who enjoyed video games, named "club 8-12"(for kids from age 8 to 12, you could step into "club ado" when you were 13 years old or older). It was based on an old building not too far away from my home. Inside, you had ping pong tables, billiards, but obviously the real stars were the computers and the 20+ TV setups with different consoles plugged on them (SNES, Genesis, PS1 and N64 later on, etc). Every Saturday and Sunday, I would spend my time for the most part of the day at that place. It was like a paradise for me. They had a gigantic library of games for every platform. All the games that were "cool" back then, they had them. All you had to do was to reserve a game and a spot and you had it for an hour at the very least.

Anyway, as soon as my brother spoke to me about Doom, I thought the club probably already had a copy of the game. I ended up reserving a 386, looked at the games they had, but didn't see Doom. I was a bit disappointed so I simply left the computer and decided to play something else. Later on, during that day, I passed by someone playing a really cool game, one that looked like a FPS where you would shoot people with guns, grab meat off the floor and obtain treasures and chalices. I thought I was witnessing someone playing Doom. In the end though, I spoke to the guy who was playing and asked him when did they installed Doom on the computer, telling him that they didn't have the game this morning. At that point, he looked at me and said "That's not Doom, we won't have it until next week. This is Spear of Destiny! We have this game for over a year!"

So yeah, I ended up booking another 386 and play Spear of Destiny for the rest of the day. Can't believe I actually beat Spear of Destiny before Wolfenstein 3D lol

Last edited:

Jacob Ware

Oct 30, 2017
Hamilton, OH
I played my first FPS on my Mom's computer when I was 7 years old in 2002.

Postal was the name of the game... it was quite an entrance into the FPS world.

Deadpool_X

Oct 28, 2017
Indiana
Doom shareware that my cousin had left on a PC when he gave it to my family in 93. After finishing the shareware like a million times over 6 months, I learned of Wolfenstein 3d from a friend and played it a ton.

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
I think mine was Duke3d. Played with cheats because I was a kid and was afraid of getting hurt lol.

echofive

Oct 27, 2017
@Wazu Dark Forces and Jedi Knight were my jam - can't like this post enough. LOVED those games. We all played on the MSN gaming zone and had Case's Ladder - my first real taste of organized online competition. Then we moved to Starsiege Tribes and Counter Strike and subsequent games since. Great stuff.

Coaster17

Oct 27, 2017
Mine was Perfect Dark. I played it a ton as a kid and the multiplayer was fantastic. I don't think I ever actually beat the game though.

Kongroo

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Ottawa, Ontario, CA
My first FPS was Call of Duty 2. I was like 10 years old when It came out. I convinced my mom who hates violent games to let me play it because it had a historical component.

To be fair, I went and learned about WW2 because of that game.

MonsterMech

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 27, 2017
Doom was my first. And I hated it. From then it was all the way until Halo before I played a FPS game that I actually enjoyed.

Still not my favorite genre, but there's a couple here and there that I truly enjoy.

Gaocho

Oct 27, 2017
Wolfenstein 3D on SNES? I remember that I found it horrible to play or look at. Next was Duke Nukem 3D on my first PC, hated it too. Then the first I've enjoyed, Goldeneye.