• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Call the police on them. Help the kids in need somehow. If someone in my family did say that I would beat their ass and would love to see their shocked face. Anyone beating kids at all is a piece of shit not deserving anything in this world. Family or not doesn't matter.

Oct 25, 2017
I was waiting in line a little while back and a little girl behind me kept bumping into me. Her guardian, I assume her grandfather, told her to stop or else I would kick her ass. When I called him out on it, he insisted that it was just discipline.

CrazyDude

Oct 25, 2017
I love the "I turned out fine argument." I'm pretty sure Hitler thought he turned out fine as well. Do you people who think hitting kids is fine alright with prison guards beating inmates? Should hitting adults be an acceptable way to deal with other adults?

Deleted member 7130

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
When I point out that in some circles it is more acceptable to beat a kid than a dog, I'm alway perplexed by the "My kid is smarter than a dog" defense. Like people really think that makes it better somehow.

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I would have walked out. Or said my peace then walked out. That's infuriating. I like to think most societies are getting closer to banning physically punishing children. America though? Idk, we have a severe ego problem, and a severe regressivism problem. I kinda doubt america will ever adopt a federal "dont physically punish those you care for, which includes children" law. Because for some reason right now we have a "dont physically punish those you care for, excepting children" law, which just seems backward.

I also consider religion and childhood religious indoctrination child abuse. I'm not sure that one will ever get a serious conversation or traction, but I know how it affected me. Having every adult lie/suspend critical thinking for the purpose of manipulating children and making them follow their agenda, which is explicitly not based on science, the observable, or critical thinking. They taught me using solid rules and reasoning, and explained why and how they reached those conclusions (like good parents and teachers should) for everything, except one topic: religion. This was not based on science, the observeable, or critical thinking. That distinction was never explained and disseminated in a fair way. They took advantage of a position of trust to suspend their critical thinking in order to scare me into their ideal behavior. They took advantage of the trust they earned through teaching me correct rules to leverage that for a 'greater Good'. They used fear, intimidation, and peer pressure to organize me into a group that is ok with, and pushes, hatred. Every day, for essentially 18 years.

My upbringing was good, and my mom had no ill intent, but I 100% feel its irresponsible and not at all harmless.

I think ultimately trying to maintain a consistent world view is important. Telling a kid to not take advantage of, or to not hit people, or that violence is wrong, goes against spanking 100%. Telling kids that education, logic, math and science are important, while simultaneously suspending them while you attempt to poison a young childs mind with things you could never support with logic, math, and science, goes against responsible education 100%.

Doing things with known, long lasting negative consequences in the name of teaching a lesson or or in the attempt of soliciting "correct" behavior is not good.

Sorry for the only half on topic rant.

I love the "I turned out fine argument." I'm pretty sure Hitler thought he turned out fine as well. Do you people who think hitting kids is fine alright with prison guards beating inmates? Should hitting adults be an acceptable way to deal with other adults?

And like, there are people who have survived shark attacks and turned out fine, but I dont use that as justification for tossing young kids in shark infested waters.

When I point out that in some circles it is more acceptable to beat a kid than a dog, I'm alway perplexed by the "My kid is smarter than a dog" defense. Like people really think that makes it better somehow.

So do you respond "and you're smarter than a child. Sooo...." *BAM* right in the kisser.

Last edited:

Pezking

Oct 25, 2017
Seriously, is there anyone in this thread over 30 that never got any form of physical punishment as a kid?

I'm 42 and neither me or any of my friends experienced any kind of corporal punishment as children.

In Germany, corporal punishment at school was declared illegal in 1973, and it is generally illegal since 2000 - but that was just a formality. It was already extremely uncommon and publicly frowned upon for decades.

And, well, it works just fine. Our younger generations certainly don't show more problematic behaviour than previous ones.

OP
OP
DaToonie

DaToonie

Oct 26, 2017
Apologies for the thread title. I thought nothing of it and should've considered that not all black families go through the same thing. I used the title as a generalization, and whoopsies, that wasn't my intention.
My parents beat the crap out of me, and I turned out fine.

I was in and out of broken relationships for a decade before I was finally able to break out of the cycle of violence and stop treating people who cared about me the way I was taught people who love each other treated each other. To stop screaming, manipulating, hitting, verbally abusing. To stop thinking of someone I loved as obviously worth less than the average person and broken because of their tolerance for me. One thing never changed over that time, though. Before I even hit puberty, I knew I would never have a child. I didn't want anyone in the world to ever hate me as much as I hated my parents. Yeah, I turned out fine. Once I got those pieces of shit out of my life and learned how to be a human being.

MAN. You sound a lot like me. I haven't taken the journey towards changing myself though, as I haven't felt very interested in personal relationships for a good minute now. I still try to catch myself when I find that I'm being overly aggressive or impatient about something.

It's definitely something to work on. =/

Powdered Egg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's funny but even though Black comedians use the Black/White discipline troupe, I've personally never seen a White kid bulldoze and boss their parents around. White parents ain't playing out here either.
I was spanked a few times as a kid. Nothing that left a lasting impression, but I had a neighbor that would beat her daughter almost nightly which I still cant get out of my head.

But why would you want such a sensitive topic as abuse be seen as a black people thing rather than a people thing? Sorry if I'm calling you out but that seems so odd to me.
I don't feel called out. I knew what OP meant by the thread title and wasn't offended since he was Black himself. I knew where he was coming from, there's not a person that literally believes "only Black people spank/abuse" their kids . I was surprised so many people took offense, though it's understandable since it touches on a stereotype.

It's a tightrope act when discussing it. Everyone does it, but we do it for slightly different reasons and the research shows it's relatively more pervasive with Blacks in America (passed down slavery trauma) though it's a problem everywhere.

I am raising my kids spank free. I'm not excusing nor forgiving the abuse I had to go through growing up. I do realize most of it was personal failure but some of it was societal fear and pressure. My parents grew up under a dictatorship where you could be killed or arrested for having a funny haircut if they felt like it. I see parallels between this and American parents who fear they have to discipline hard to avoid a situation where their kid is disciplined by police. I still don't agree with all that, the determining factor imo is anger issues by the parent, that's on them to deal with in a more productive manner.

Village

Oct 25, 2017
What a horse shit post that is often used as a means to excuse abuse.

Points out how parent is being unfair and hypocritical, but doesn't have the mental knowledge on how to explain their emotions without throwing a fit
*gets their ass beat for "walking all over their parents"*
Parent: its discipline!!!!!

Fuck off.
This
I grew up in an abusive household with an abusive parent and on occasion the other one was abusive too. That shit's abuse , every single time is them lashing out not understand what the situation is. I used to get beat because I would lie and get bad grades, why did I do that because my parents were fucking abusive . Maybe if they sat down and talked to me , acted better and didn't fucking hit me I wouldn't have gotten better grades and trusted them enough to not lie to them. But they don't think about that shit, folks just go with what their parents did not even humoring the notion the idea that their parents or how society treats children as a whole might be wrong. Which upon getting an education is kinda baffling because we just got as a species medicine, whole entire fields of science, and psychology down to being reasonable useful things... like recently. Folks were out in here in russia not a 100 years ago thinking they could convince seeds to grow in the snow. Or if they stared at goats long enough you could reveal psychic powers.

And folks out here thinking that parenting is some acient passed down secret knolwedge bank you just get, no. You parents didn't know shit, society made them upset they didn't know how to talk to you. So they hit you because thier parents did and so on and so forth. And the idea that people fucking now brush it off as discipline without even thinking " Wait a minute... why am I doing this "

Fuck i've made myself upset