• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

SilentPanda

Nov 6, 2017
Earth
Tbh I believe this. Just imagine all the shirts in the US with Chinese, Japanese and Korean lettering on them, and people buying them without knowing what they say or what the symbols mean.

Is it a...supreme unlucky coincidence that this same artist was wearing both a q-anon shirt AND a swastika? I don't know, but I'm willing to give the benefit of the doubt - people EVERYWHERE are more ignorant than we hope. I think this speaks more to indifference than malice. But being an international pop star with a team of stylists, they can't afford to be so blasé. This shit hurts if you're a Jewish fan (or a socially conscious person) and it normalizes the parading of shitty symbols under the guise of "I just thought it looked cool!" Lots of bad faith actors that will use shit like this to further their dog whistles.

Could also be the stylist is actual support of Trump for his anti-china stance, and that's all they care bout, being anti-china
Either thaty or they are picked on becaseu is a famous musician, the other, because it ahs us flag

Yeona

Banned
Jan 19, 2021
Can a Korean person tell me if this is true?

Because I see kids drawing nazi signs on desks all the time and when you call them out they know nothing.

I'm korean, though I don't live in Korea, but most of the closest people around me did or currently do.

I kinda don't want to get roped into questioning whether she's a racist or not, because there's racists in South Korea just like there are anywhere, but it's extremely difficult not to sound like apologia when I say this: People in Asia do not see the world through the same lens you do, through the same historical framing you do. I think this doesn't get said enough because people project their own cultural biases to asian people all the fucking time, it's really weird.

That said, it's not impossible that she's some kind of weird racist, but I find it very unlikely. She's just a ditz pop idol who has her clothes chosen for her. I can say without any hint of doubt though that the people here saying that koreans don't understand that a swastika is bad are full of it. Korean people aren't idiots. They understand it's bad. Some just may not understand the exact nuance of exactly how bad it is, just like you probably don't understand what the rising sun flag means to me or my mom.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
Displaying the swastika in a western country where its irrevocably associated with the Nazis is clearly wrong. Displaying it in a manner that clearly alludes to Nazism (as in the OP) is also clearly wrong. Saying that literally billions of people (many of whom fought against the Nazis in WW2 and had their share of losses and trauma) should have an important cultural/religious symbol (that they have used for thousands of years) taken from them because of the Nazis' actions is fucked.
Honestly, it's not even the age thing. There are significantly more Hindus in the world than there are Europeans. Not even just white Europeans, I'm talking the entire continent of Europe. There are also significantly more Buddhists than there are US Americans, although the population of North America as a whole wins out.

South and East Asia are the most populous regions of the world and it's not even close. Asia as a whole has around 60% of the world population. Humanity as a whole is just not all that white, and if you exist in the white world, that may be something that you may forget - or, so help me, never realized in the first place.

So it strikes me that it takes a lot more effort, in terms of the amount of human minds who have to be changed and who have to change their behaviour, to stop the use of the swastika in Asia than it would for people in white countries to stop clinging to symbols stolen from other cultures. You have fewer white supremacists to go through than you'd have Hindus and Buddhists.

But to frame things that way, you'd be putting the onus on the whites for the symbols of white supremacy. Instead, if the white people do something bad with a symbol used by most of the world, than most of the world has to acquiesce. In fact, it is the rest of the world that are actually secret white supremacists if they don't.

I'm not even specifically talking about the K-pop star in the OP here. This is just something that constantly floats in my mind whenever we have this conversation. It just seems super weird to me that the whites have to be given control of history for a world much bigger than they are lest the white supremacists win.

Last edited:

TissueBox

Oct 25, 2017
Urinated States of America
Tbh I believe this. Just imagine all the shirts in the US with Chinese, Japanese and Korean lettering on them, and people buying them without knowing what they say or what the symbols mean.

Is it a...supreme unlucky coincidence that this same artist was wearing both a q-anon shirt AND a swastika? I don't know, but I'm willing to give the benefit of the doubt - people EVERYWHERE are more ignorant than we hope. I think this speaks more to indifference than malice. But being an international pop star with a team of stylists, they can't afford to be so blasé. This shit hurts if you're a Jewish fan (or a socially conscious person) and it normalizes the parading of shitty symbols under the guise of "I just thought it looked cool!" Lots of bad faith actors that will use shit like this to further their dog whistles.

Agreed. Cultural values lend themselves to different gradients of perception. They are not, however, absolutely detached from international contexts. In this case it's kind of obvious QAnon is not infiltrating the KPop scene with a discreet advertising campaign -- but considering how global KPop is and the most popular groups, like Twice, are, particularly outside of Asia, the industry people (agents, stylists, managers, etc.) should know better about what cultural values/standards are like beyond said shores. 'Offensive' stuff in English are popular as embedding on some clothing for example so something like that can just be considered edgy/cool. But when on the world stage, there are more people to worry about hurting than ever before. Best you can hope for is that they learn their lesson, actually, instead of, cough, repeating it...

Unless they want to make a political statement of any sort, which, I'm pretty sure, is not the sort of waters they want to wade into.

If someone on the team is a genuine fan of white American radicals and neo-nazis, then, well.... we need to talk.

Last edited:

zashga

Losing is fun
Oct 28, 2017
That's a nazi swastika, not a traditional Asian swastika. A coy nazi is just a nazi. How many chances do you feel you need to give people like this?

zeher

Mar 20, 2019
Honestly, it's not even the age thing. There are significantly more Hindus in the world than there are Europeans. Not even just white Europeans, I'm talking the entire continent of Europe. There are also significantly more Buddhists than there are North Americans, although the population of North America as a whole wins out.

South and East Asia are the most populous regions of the world and it's not even close. Asia as a whole has around 60% of the world population. Humanity as a whole is just not all that white, and if you exist in the white world, that may be something that you may forget - or, so help me, never realized in the first place.

So it strikes me that it takes a lot more effort, in terms of the amount of human minds who have to be changed and who have to change their behaviour, to stop the use of the swastika in Asia than it would be for people in white countries to stop clinging to symbols stolen from other cultures. You have fewer white supremacists to go through than you'd have Hindus and Buddhists.

But to frame things that way, you'd be putting the onus on the whites for the symbols of white supremacy. Instead, if the white people do something bad with a symbol used by most of the world, than most of the world has to acquiesce. In fact, it is the rest of the world that are actually secret white supremacists if they don't.

I'm not even specifically talking about the K-pop star in the OP here. This is just something that constantly floats in my mind whenever we have this conversation. It just seems super weird to me that the whites have to control history lest the white supremacists win.

Ye, very well said ty 🙏

Burly

Oct 25, 2017
Is making a post in a forum thread about a Twitter post with a picture of a lady with a shirt with a picture of a guy with a shirt with a symbol that sorta looks like a swastika on it, inappropriate?

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Also setting aside the swastika there's like a 0.000001% chance she knew what QAnon is lol

Maybe her stylist did, which seems to be where the majority of onus should go here

diakyu

Dec 15, 2018
Yeah I can see now why she might not know (especially the Qanon one), but man that's a fuck up for whoever picked it out

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
setting everything else aside, what's with all the "her stylist" assumptions? How is that any different from any other celebrity?

Davilmar

Oct 27, 2017
I don't buy it that an international celebrity or star wouldn't know the context of a swastika. Like, your average person? Who knows, I don't know enough about religious symbols in the country where that person is from to know what the average person might associate something with.

But if you're a celebrity or a super star who has a big following, you either need to know what these symbols mean... and like a swastika is the most nefarious of all symbols over the last 80 years, or you have to take some more responsibility for your marketing photos. If you're a famous person with a big reach there's a burden of responsibility to know what things are, especially massively prolific ones like that. I dunno if this person is a K-Pop star or J-Pop OP isn't sure, but like, you have to have some basic understanding of history and it's not like this is just "European history" or something. Japan was allies with the Nazis, and Japan brutally ruled Korea for the first half of the 20th century into World War II, when Japan and the Nazis were defeated. This isn't ancient history or hidden knowledge.

And also it's Sid Vicious wearing a nazi shirt. You can't just wear that and be like "Oh, I thought this was the ancient buddhist symbol"

In the context of this t-shirt art, this is not representing the Asian symbol of whatever it means in different religions or cultures, it's a depiction of Sid Vicious wearing a Nazi t-shirt for shock value from the 1970s/80s, whenevr that was.

I figure the t-shirt as worn by this person is trying to shock people, in which case, I say, lame and dumb. not cute.

All of this. No excuses regardless if the singer is from South Korea.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe her stylist did, which seems to be where the majority of onus should go here
I think Sid Vicious bears a lot of responsibility too. If there's anyone in here who certainly should have known better, I'd say it was him.

Although thankfully that problem appears to have resolved itself some time ago.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
I think Sid Vicious bears a lot of responsibility too. If there's anyone in here who certainly should have known better, I'd say it was him.

Although thankfully that problem appears to have resolved itself some time ago.
Well, I was mostly talking about the QAnon shirt, but that too.

setting everything else aside, what's with all the "her stylist" assumptions? How is that any different from any other celebrity?
KPop stars have very little autonomy, they are pretty much controlled by their managers 24/7.

ErichWK

Oct 25, 2017
Sandy Eggo
Not defending anything, but weren't a bunch of shocking shirts that Sid Vicious wore designed by Vivianne Westwood? And a lot of the time it was to be shocking and piss off Thatcher supporting British people? Sid and viv were never Nazis they just wanted to cause chaos. Malcom Mclaren pushed a lot of this stuff to. Once again, not defending, not saying it was tasteful or smart. Just saying there is a little more context why he wore that. (besides being an idiot. Late 70s punk movements were wild times)

Oct 26, 2017
Why wouldn't she know what a swastika is, because she's Korean? Do they not educate kids on Nazi Germany over there or is more related to imperial Japan?

Also is that the same girl who wears Q-Anon shirts?

Raxel

Nov 1, 2017

Hrodulf

Oct 25, 2017
Curious about how people saying "the religious swastika needs to go away too" feel about the idea of making other religious imagery disappear based on atrocities committed in the name of those respective religions.

SilentPanda

Nov 6, 2017
Earth
Why wouldn't she know what a swastika is, because she's Korean? Do they not educate kids on Nazi Germany over there or is more related to imperial Japan?

Her name is Chaeyoung from the idol group Twice

Shes a idol, not a star.
Idol image and private life are controlled by the company

She also went to idol school when young, so at best her education on history and other are a elemtary school level, and maybe if ahe know her own history

Superman00

Jan 9, 2018

Why do people assume that Asian countries would learn much about Germany in WW2? Japan was the one that was wrecking shit, committing atrocities, and occupying countries in the east. If anything, they will learn about that in WW2 context.

FuzzyWuzzy

Prophet of Truth
Apr 7, 2019
Austria
There's two main factors about K-Pop which sadly means shit like this can pass through a filter.

1. They don't choose their own clothing, especially when they're as famous as TWICE.

2. Most of the idols will go to Multi-Art "schools". These places are there for rich idols to legally circumvent having to go to school while keeping up with an idol schedule. You learn absolutely nothing, you don't actually go to class, and you receive super easy "homework" to pass your grades. Chaeyoung has been at a school like this since Middle School and she's been in training since she was a little girl.

It's why a lot of people keep getting angry at idols debuting younger and younger, the honest truth is that a lot of them just have elementary or middle school educations at best and it shows.

That said, I'm still side-eyeing the ignorance of her and her stylist for the swastika. I've known about shit like that since Elementary but assuming she's redpilled is stupid.

I know for some people it's insane to believe that other countries don't know everything about America but this can happen. :P

The swastika one was very stupid, yes, but expecting everyone who doesn't live in the US to know what that Q shirt stands for is unrealistic.
I mean I am not American, but i think after two of these incidents it's kinda justified to not have much more benefit of the doubt left

FuzzyWuzzy

Prophet of Truth
Apr 7, 2019
Austria
Because she is a idol, and idol company are very strict in how their idol is usually presented outside and is not up to the idol, but the company and people they hire to dress up the idol.
Like they can't have boyfriend/girlfriend type and if they are a seiso or gravure idol, etc.
Yeah I sadly am aware of the idol industry, especially the relationship aspect has shown up in some articles.

I just tend to lose goodwill with the second incident

DJChuy

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Q? As in queer?

1622561907-images-25.jpeg

A lot of k-pop idols (J-pop too) are micromanaged to where they live, what they eat, dating life, etc. They don't choose their clothes for the most part.

lambdaupsilon

Apr 17, 2018
FYI, the swastika isn't exclusively an Asian symbol as commonly believed. In Scandinavia it's associated with Thor and has been found in the region well before the Vikings had contact with India: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swastika_(Germanic_Iron_Age)

The Nazis believed it to be the symbol of the Aryan race which spread throughout Europe and Asia, twisting the actual migrations of the western steppe herders: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indo-European_migrations
yeah it's been used basically everywhere
it's the same shit as like, the cool s, it's a distinct shape that's easy to draw

Tagyhag

Oct 27, 2017
I mean I am not American, but i think after two of these incidents it's kinda justified to not have much more benefit of the doubt left

Definitely not the swastika, everyone should know better in that regard.

But Q Anon? If I were to ask everyone what the two biggest political parties of South Korea were, 90% of people here aren't going to know without Googling.

Like others have said, it's just different.

Think about the most regulated and micromanaged celebrity in the West. Now multiply that by 3 for Korean and Japanese idols.

I love the music but the industries are no fucking joke, they're human farming machines.

You only get a tiny degree of freedom once you made it to the very top, but they're still controlling 90% of your life.

Last edited:

FuzzyWuzzy

Prophet of Truth
Apr 7, 2019
Austria
Definitely not the swastika, everyone should know better in that regard.

But Q Anon? If I were to ask everyone what the two biggest political parties of South Korea were, 90% of people here aren't going to know without Googling.
Honestly would not think anything off the q shirt and the apology in vacuum, but following that up with a Swastika afterwards makes me side eye it.

You'd think the wardrobe would be watched more closely after having to apologize once.

Edit: I'll also add that I think it's fair to have different expectations of a star touring worldwide as opposed to the average person on the street.

SilentPanda

Nov 6, 2017
Earth
Is this the group that person is in? Never heard of them until this thread and then I see a tweet saying they are coming to Toronto

View: https://twitter.com/ScotiabankArena/status/1638691395627261953?s=20

I would advise them to not wear any swastikas or Q Anon garb while in Toronto

That's the group their in, and it's not exactly a small idol group either.
Since 2016, members regularly have placed in the top 20 of Gallup Korea's annual poll of the nation's favorite idols.

In 2017, Twice was included in Forbes Korea Power Celebrity at third overall and first among recording artists. They entered within the top ten of the list again ranking third in 2018, and ninth in 202
Twice has since been dubbed by Korean media as the "Nation's Girl Group", being cited as a follow-up to previously successful girl groups Girls' Generation and Kara.
NHK News credited the group's commercial success with helping mend relations between Japan and South Korea.

An example of Twice's popularity in Japan was seen after the release of their song "TT", in which the track's signature pose was imitated by several Japanese celebrities and idols including AKB48 and Nogizaka46.

When Twice officially debuted in Japan through the release of their compilation album #Twice, the Tokyo Tower Observatory commemorated the event by displaying "TT" on the landmark—it was the first time that the Tokyo Tower had collaborated with an artist for a display, and was regarded as an unusual development by local media
The group was included in Bloomberg's Pop Star Power Rankings for the month of July 2020, ranking at number 12

shinkie

Oct 26, 2017
When I visited SKorea it was not uncommon to find random English words and/or imagery on clothing as an 'aesthetic' so I can kinda see how this may have come about but still she, the stylists, managers and label (JYP) should know better given the group is also currently releasing music in English, touring in western countries and signed to a US label.

questionmark

Oct 25, 2017
The amount of control these companies have over the idols has always been greatly exaggerated on online discussions. That Q top is definitely something given to her by a stylist, but that Sid Vicious shirt is mostly likely something she bought on her own. Chaeyoung has been an idol for 8 years now, that pretty much makes her a veteran in this industry. On top of that she is from one of the most successful groups ever. Her company is not controlling what she's wearing in private. She might be given something from a sponsor, but I doubt it in this case. Chaeyoung is just into that kind of style (punk, not nazi). Iirc, it was revealed a while ago that she was dating a tattoo artist. This is likely two cases of ignorance, one by her and one by her stylist.

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
I'd wager she wore that because she thought it was punk and showing it off to her fans. Ignorant and pretty careless.

Keep in mind that the symbol also looks different in various countries. In Japan it's called a manji and looks like this

Buddhist_temples_in_Kamakura.JPG

Oct 25, 2017
Is wearing Q Anon stuff a red flag? Outside of America I would 100% assume it's ironically making fun of it?

If the person picking the clothes knows enough to have it on said clothes, they probably aren't making fun of it. They might be doing it to get a rise out of people, but it's not like there aren't Q Anon nuts in Asia too. Symphony of the Night composer Michiru Yamane is a diehard believer in that bullshit, for example.

Autumn

Avenger
Apr 1, 2018
Why would you assume that? Q Anon merch isn't sold just anywhere. You have to look for it.
This reminds me of the Balenciaga drama but with people on the left.

Stylists don't think like this. They are looking for trendy stuff and probably thought this was a cool American/punk shirt. You can buy them on Amazon.

Senator Toadstool

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's not.
It's like the Hitler stache.
You can't take it back or redefine it.
The association is too strong.
tell this to Asia... though the example in the OP is just a nazi symbol.

context matters, its use has a representation of the nazis can't be taken back but its use in Asia is totally fine.

Excuse me

Oct 30, 2017
Pretty ignorant, but at the same time no more ignorant when we have western celebs wearing Imperial rising sun symbol, or big desing houses taking design inspirations from it. Asia at large has different focus on WW2.

RJWalker

Feb 16, 2021
To all the people asking if WW2 history is taught in Asian countries, it is taught. We just don't accept because that the Nazis used our symbols, it means we have to give up those symbols. The swastika is part of our cultural heritage and that's more important to us.

I can't really comment on this particular case. Sid Vicious isn't at all a Nazi from what I can gather.

EatChildren

Wonder from Down Under
Oct 27, 2017
I mean, devil's advocate when ignoring the Q-Anon shirt, but the context here is not that the shirt inherently promotes Nazism, but instead idolises the Sex Pistols. And we can't divorce it from this context just because it has a swastika on it and take offense to assigned implications outside of that context. The dumbassery of wearing this shirt, and the dumbassery of the Sex Pistols doing so too, is a different (though entirely valid) conversation.

But the intention here seems to be more brandification of a punk aesthetic, amusingly and probably unintentionally ironic given it's from a band that was brandification of a punk, rather than an immediate statement of "I support Adolf Hitler and Nazism". In the same way that Sid wearing the shirt wasn't a statement of "I support Adolf Hitler and Nazism", even if the act itself still warrants scrutiny and conversation and the swastika in this context invites that context. Same as someone dressing up as a Nazi with a swastika for Halloween or costume party isn't necessary advocacy for or a statement in favour of Nazism, though still invites a dialogue on appropriateness and general dumbassery.

The Q-Anon shirt gives me pause, but again to play devil's advocate, I'm wary about critiquing anything KPop artists wear given how aggressively manufactured and controlled their lives and identities are. It's really unlike anything else out there, and the entire KPop industry would be better of collapsing in of itself.

On a mostly unrelated note but nevertheless fun anecdote, I worked with a client years ago who was an immigrant from Myanmar, and he showed up to an appointment once in a white nationalist Nazi shirt. Subtle enough that someone with limited history knowledge might mistake the swastika for its religious and cultural origins, but it was attached to a fucking Reich eagle. It was just straight up the Nazi Party eagle + swastika, and he had no idea. Fun conversation.

Sunster

The Fallen
Oct 5, 2018
This reminds me of the Balenciaga drama but with people on the left.

Stylists don't think like this. They are looking for trendy stuff and probably thought this was a cool American/punk shirt. You can buy them on Amazon.
Well I'm on the left and thought the Balenciaga thing was very weird as well. The photographer it should be noted had 0 input or prior knowledge of that weird setup, that was all Balenciaga.

But yeah you don't find this stuff on Amazon by searching for punk merch. You only find it by searching for Q-Anon merch. I won't press this issue too much as it's very possible you're correct and this was just a case of not knowing what they were buying. But personally, I doubt that.

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
The "clearly she has no idea what the Nazi swastika and QAnon are and wore them BOTH back to back by sheer coincidence" takes have some big "JK Rowling is old and totally liking all of these TERF posts to bookmark them for ??? reasons and NOT because she's a TERF" energy.