• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Bhonar

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Never expect anything but very basic online features with Nintendo, they are absolutely incompetent on that front.

Me and a friend use our PS4 to party chat while we're playing Switch games lol, I shit you not.
i thought u can just use some nintendo mobile app to do that??

SirBaron

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I can sharey games on two switches. Worth the price alone just for that. Now I save hundreds.

Megatron

Oct 27, 2017
Bruh, it dont make not a lick of sense

Like, I'm defending a "shitty online service"

But people defending paying "$60 for an online service."

Do yall see how ridiculous that is? SMH

It shouldnt cost $60 or at all to play a game online. Yall sound dumb

The irony of composing a post like that and telling someone else that they sound dumb, wow.

Online shouldn't cost $60 it should be free. Unfortunately it's not. But $20 is better than $60 and I expect the service will improve exactly the same way Sony's did. I often see people saying they wish they could trade features for a cheaper service. Nintendo has done that. But it won't be everyone's preference, clearly.

Dymaxion

Sep 19, 2018
I knew the online service complaints would roll in after Smash released. You could see it from a mile away as long as you noticed they never promised that paying up would actually improve anything. It's a toll booth for game franchises we used to pay no additional fees for. Other than that, enjoy your cloud saves and NES games I guess.

The lack of SNES on the service when they initially said it would be part of the deal is the most disappointing thing for me. Still waiting on that...

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
The worst for me is the lack of a free option to backup your saves, and the cloud doesn't even work for every game.

I know they want to avoid hacking in Pokemon, Splatoon etc., but this problem is inexistent on Sony and MS. Losing a 100+ hours save is awful

Tregard

Oct 27, 2017
NSO is a blatant cashgrab, and unfortunately one that works. Nintendo can be pretty complacent, and their number crunchers likely just told them the money spent to fulfil those promises wouldn't be worth it.

Deleted member 4093

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The irony of composing a post like that and telling someone else that they sound dumb, wow.

Online shouldn't cost $60 it should be free. Unfortunately it's not. But $20 is better than $60 and I expect the service will improve exactly the same way Sony's did. I often see people saying they wish they could trade features for a cheaper service. Nintendo has done that. But it won't be everyone's preference, clearly.
Acceptance

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
Sony charges too, you need to pay for ps+ to use cloud saves on ps4.

I think Microsoft is the only one of the 3 that doesn't charge you for it, which should obviously be the standard.
You can back up saves on PS4 on your own without the cloud.
There is no way to back up saves on Switch outside of their cloud and it's locked behind their online paywall.

AfropunkNyc

Nov 15, 2017
I still don't understand why there's a friend list, when you cant freaking communicate with any of your friends. Nintendo is so backwards and behind the time, that it still amaze me. Its a big company and yet no one seem to realize this fault.

Viper_GK

Oct 28, 2017
Or it could be, just maybe, just maybe $20 a year is so cheap I dont mind paying it to play online when I pay $60 elsewhere

See you have been conditioned into thinking that the console providers are offering you value, when in fact most of the time you are paying for p2p, there is no effort.

Don't forget playing online on switch was free a couple of months ago, they just put a paywall now(albeit cheaper then the competitors,with less features) and the experience was the same.

I love my PS4/Switch for the great games, but as a PC gamer as well, I avoid going online on Console, not paying for P2P servers, I have to give credit to Microsoft, they've conditioned people into paying and it's spread.

Deleted member 6730

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They gave us what they promised. They spent months explaining what you were getting but fans were sure that there would be more but Nintendo didn't say anything.

Tallshortman

Oct 29, 2017
I don't understand this logic of "they're so far behind". I mean how is that even possible for a company that big and wealthy? Surely after all this time you would just hire some people who weren't "behind".

That's why it's so mindblowing. They seem to either refuse to hire competent network folks or refuse to let them do anything sensible.

Deleted member 426

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I completely agree. I know most people didn't expect much but I really did. I really loved the idea of using a great smart app to organise gaming sessions. But Nintendo haven't followed through; their app is trash and they have no intention of changing that.

Boiled Goose

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
The main thing they need is a proper os level lobby and invite system.

Also, the app voice chat is absurd and moreso because the chat implementation is so different between games.

In arms kart and tennis chat with anyone

Splatoon which needs it most, just friends

Deleted member 4093

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
See you have been conditioned into thinking that the console providers are offering you value, when in fact most of the time you are paying for p2p, there is no effort.

Don't forget playing online on switch was free a couple of months ago, they just put a paywall now(albeit cheaper then the competitors,with less features) and the experience was the same.

I love my PS4/Switch for the great games, but as a PC gamer as well, I avoid going online on Console, not paying for P2P servers, I have to give credit to Microsoft, they've conditioned people into paying and it's spread.
Oh I know theres no value. I have to pay to play smash online so I'm gonna do it. I dont care about messages and voice chat I can do that with anything

kittens

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is by far the biggest flaw of the Switch. It makes it hard to justify buying a Switch at all for me.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
That's why it's so mindblowing. They seem to either refuse to hire competent network folks or refuse to let them do anything sensible.
Further mindblowing is that these people have to use the internet everyday themselves. On smartphones, computers, whatever. Almost all self aware humans, especially adults aged 18-45, understand the basic standards of proper online communication. Elementary schoolers understand video/text chat.

"Nintendo gonna Nintendo re:online" is cute but just doesn't make any fucking sense when you try to understand the WHY of how a company IN JAPAN could be so technologically incompetent with the ABC functions of something as simple as an online system.

Someone(s) at the top is/are purposely sabotaging their own company, that's the only explanation. I refuse to believe that no competent online structures have been presented. There's some younger guys who wants to shove this person/people out of a window.

jrDev

Banned
Mar 2, 2018
Pretty sure the "special deals" is like the NES joycons, which I got an email about...

Deleted member 4413

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo will always have an online system that looks like it was made at the turn of the century.

They will NEVER join the modern age of networking. This is a choice they have made, not out of pure incompetence. It is designed this way on purpose.

jrDev

Banned
Mar 2, 2018
I'd rather pay more and actually get something in return for my money besides a handful of 30+ year old games.
I wouldn't...especially because family plan makes it basically cents per month for me...so *shrugs*...
Nintendo will always have an online system that looks like it was made at the turn of the century.

They will NEVER join the modern age of networking. This is a choice they have made, not out of pure incompetence. It is designed this way on purpose.
Nintendo just doesn't see the point in dropping a lot of money into this stuff, they are the most conservative for a reason...

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah it doesn't make any sense. The online is awful and a step back from Wii U and 3ds. All they had to do was keep Wii U online set up, no codes and at least party chat.

You can't even send friends messages on switch

Oct 27, 2017
Las Vegas
At this point I feel like Nintendo is hopeless when it comes to online services. It's a shame too because a lot of their games could really take advantage of a robust online platform.

Driggonny

Oct 26, 2017
You can back up saves on PS4 on your own without the cloud.
There is no way to back up saves on Switch outside of their cloud and it's locked behind their online paywall.
Yes, I misread your post, apologies. It's absolutely ridiculous you can't back up switch saves locally in the same way as a ps4

justiceiro

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I guess the statement made by the current CEO that this is a investment for the years to come kinda makes more sense now in ligth of this, eh?

But maybe we can actually sue them about friend codes.

Vagabond

Oct 26, 2017
United States
It's kinda like getting some off-brand electronic at Target vs Dollar General. You know the $60 product is far superior. You know the $20 product will be not even one-third of what the $60 product offers.

TyraZaurus

Nov 6, 2017
I'm gonna be honest, while Switch Online's solution for voice chat is cumbersome, I've never found in-system voice chat all that great to begin with. I just use Discord for everything.

Camstun187

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
China
I don't see why or even how some people are jumping on OP and defending Nintendo so vehemently...Nintendo promised us something great, and it's barely different. Friend codes, no dedicated servers for big releases.

Y'all defenders, man...

Deleted member 426

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't see why or even how some people are jumping on OP and defending Nintendo so vehemently...Nintendo promised us something great, and it's barely different. Friend codes, no dedicated servers for big releases.

Y'all defenders, man...
I did a joking thread about how Miis could do with an update titled "Miis suck" and there were a small cohort of people even then pulling the persecution card. I was like...guys I'm only messing around.

ryan13ts

Oct 28, 2017
I'm just going to lay it all out there and get my frustrations about Nintendo and online out there; There's literally no excuse for how laughably lackluster and bad Nintendo's online service is at this point. No one should be defending this pathetic showing that they call an "online service" in 2018, even the most ardent fans. They literally don't have to do anything but emulate what Sony and Microsoft are doing at this point to have a good service, the fucking roadmap is literally already laid out for them.

The fact that they are still stubborn and completely out of touch with modern day standards and what it's own consumers expect/demand at this point gives me 0% hope of this "service" improving. They've shown no sign of taking the overwhelming criticisms about this service to heart and making an attempt to rectify the most basic complaints (voice chat through the system, messaging system in system, dedicated servers, ect.) so it's pretty clear they don't care about what we as customers want.

Nintendo's "Our way or oh well" attitude regarding online is just infuriating, especially since their quality of software is so good but that can't excuse stuff like this. It may only be $20 a year but it's not even worth that, since it's basically the same thing we were getting for free and they knew there was no way they could get away with charging what Sony and MS does. I only have the service now because I used coins to pay for it for Smash. After that expires though, there's no way I will pay actual money for it until they show some kind effort that they are working to improve the stuff everyone is complaining about... Which probably means I won't be buying their service anytime soon.

Bakercat

Oct 27, 2017
'merica
I actually thought about the online today and getting it. The only thing I was kinda interested in was the classic games, but remembered it's only NES games. If they put snes and other stuff up to play then I'll plop down $20.

Myself

Nov 4, 2017
Nintendo is constantly years behind the online front. They probably (still) don't know what they're doing.

First reply nails it. Nintendo will attempt to take the cheapest (most return) option they can so will be miles and miles behind what anyone else is doing. The most barebones implementation that will keep people happy is what they will go for.

So the only thing you didn't get is play invites and "special discounts."
In return you got cloud saves and free NES Online with special exclusive versions and online multiplayer build in.
Plans change, it is hardly something you should get this worked up about, tbh.

Cloud saves for some games because Nintendo can't work out how to stop people hacking a local save and that affecting online play.
NES games we have had for 30 years, again and again and again and we have tonnes of ways to already play them. That's not much of an upsell.
Friend codes are still trashy to work with
And chat, on a phone - gimme a break.
Then have you ever tried to invite a friend who just came online to play a game of Splatoon 2? Good luck on that one.

And of course the wankerish thing they did with save backups - you pay or you get nothing. They won't even give you local saves of your own. That is just middle fingering your players.

When their paid online service started, I stopped. I'd rather not play Splatoon 2 than pay them for that pile of shite.

Dragonyeuw

Nov 4, 2017
They don't invest a lot of money, we will probably see these features in 3-4 years when it shouldn't have taken more than 1.

I don't understand why they didn't come out of the box with it. The modern industry standard was pretty much set back in 2005 with 360 xbox live. Switch online almost feels like a generation 1 effort where everyone was figuring things out. Then, you factor in that it was delayed a year. To what end, exactly? How is it that the damn Wii had a better catalog of retro classics? Wii U had the mii-verse and a colorfully designed eshop that had a cute little jingle that you hummed to while shopping. Superflous perhaps, but it gave the system some sense of personality in my opinion.

It doesn't end with online. Why do we not have stuff like customizable backgrounds? I mean, when the powers that be sat in a room designing the system, there's like basic 'this should be a feature from jump' bullet points and it's like Nintendo went with the most barebones, stripped down experience imaginable in 2018 heading into 19.

Deleted member 23475

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
What games do dedicated servers on consoles?
All the Microsoft Multiplayer games: Halo, gears, forza, Sea of Thieves.
Then EA shooter games battlefield, battlefront, titanfall. For Ubi Rainbow Six, The division, For Honor.
They are more than what you probably think.

Current Nintendo Online service is near the xbox original Xbox live IMO. This is why I don't pay for that (in 2018) personally.

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
I was hoping for a barebones online platform from Nintendo by the time Animal Crossing came out. I figured that would be their chance to join the multiplayer, community-based modern world of 2008. I am not expecting a robust online experience in the flagship Animal Crossing release after seeing where Nintendo is still at.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I don't understand this logic of "they're so far behind". I mean how is that even possible for a company that big and wealthy? Surely after all this time you would just hire some people who weren't "behind".

Complacency, arrogance, and/or a huge portion of their fanbase who are fairly apathetic to it so long as they get the tried and tested tent pole games. Basically, unless it seriously affects their profitability and brand among core fans, they're not really as likely to invest as much time, money and resources into catching up to current gen, let alone last gen.

Hoo-doo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
People defending this service with 'it's just 20$ bro' crack me the fuck up.

The money isn't the issue. It's the fact that the service is absolute dogshit and yet you're still expected to pay for the privilege. They are straight up delivering an online featureset that would have gotten you laughed out of the room over a decade ago and yet here we have people going to bat for them regardless. For shame, have some standards.

CarthOhNoes

Someone is plagiarizing this post
Oct 25, 2017
They're just 5-10 years behind the curve with online and have absolutely no interest in listening to consumer feedback or hiring people who've actually got good experience working with these systems.

They've shown time and time again that they don't have a clue what they're doing when it comes to online.

Deleted member 426

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's not a deal breaker for me at all. But it is sad that Nintendo are not only 5-10 years behind, but getting further behind. They don't have any interest in providing a quality service.

But for the price I'm more than happy with the NES games. It just sucks for others.

Danielsan

Oct 26, 2017
The Netherlands
Smash online and the switch online app are staggeringly bad. What's the point of a friendslist if you can't even invite a friend. Also, we tried to set up voice chat in smash yesterday. You can only start voice chat once you are in a room together. And, you need to keep your phone unlocked and open on the switch online app, otherwise it stops working. It's just mind boggling how archaic this shit is.

Xeontech

Oct 28, 2017
Because online gaming is a fad that will soon pass, and we don't have the time or resources to invest in such tbings

::rolleyes::

MrCarter

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo are incompetent when it comes to this stuff. Even the Vita had better features at launch.