Votes: 66 2.8%
  • Sony

Votes: 549 23.1%
  • Ouya

Votes: 94 4.0%

• Total voters

Hieroph

Oct 28, 2017
Shouldn't we count active IPs? Historically, Nintendo had the best IPs, but it's not like they're doing much with most of them anymore, so it's kind of a moot point.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
You included everything and the kitchen sink for Sony and literally only included the basics for Nintendo. If you want to make your argument seem genuine at least bother to do a little research.

see my above quote. I absolutely did not. I excluded a shit ton of stuff from Sony and could triple that list if I included "everything and the kitchen sink."

skullwaker

Oct 25, 2017
yeeeeah.....this isn't true. Some years, it's somewhat comparable. Most years, Nintendo publishes significantly more software than any other company in the industry.

Yeah, the only company that even comes close to rivaling Nintendo in quantity of output is Bandai-Namco.

see my above quote. I absolutely did not. I excluded a shit ton of stuff from Sony and could triple that list if I included "everything and the kitchen sink."

But are you going to admit that you didn't even try with your Nintendo list?

Last edited:
Dec 16, 2017
Sony doesn't use Sony IPs past a generation. Kratos is the only character I can think of that has successfully shown up in three of four generations. PS1 was filled with classics, but Sony doesn't own the IPs.

touchfuzzy

Banned
Jul 27, 2019
I personally haven't cared for a single Nintendo IP since the N64 and I haven't felt the "need" to rush out and buy anything from them. Whereas with Sony, their IPs are across many more genres, so it's a no brainer to me.

Yeah they really hit a wide swath of genres. Look at the last 18 months even...

Days Gone - single player action/adventure
Spider-Man - single player action/adventure
God of War - single player action/adventure
Shadow of the Colossus - single player action/adventure
Detroit: Become Human - single player action/adventure

And coming up we've got...

Concrete Genie - single player action/adventure
MediEvil - single player action/adventure
Death Stranding - single player action/adventure
The Last of Us 2 - single player action/adventure
Ghost of Tsushima - single player action/adventure

Hieroph

Oct 28, 2017
Sony doesn't use Sony IPs past a generation. Kratos is the only character I can think of that has successfully shown up in three of four generations. PS1 was filled with classics, but Sony doesn't own the IPs.

And that's why we haven't seen Wipeout, Medievil, Everybody's Golf, Gran Turismo, or a whole bunch of remasters this gen. Oh, wait.

Yes these are all obviously the same game and genre. Sony should just quit the act right now.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018

Gran Turismo
Twisted Metal
Hot Shots Golf
SOCOM
MLB
Wipeout
Ratchet and Clank
Killzone
Warhawk
Siren
Infamous

were all multi generational IP, off the top of my head. at least 2 of 4, some are 3 of 4, Gran Turismo and Hot Shots are 4 of 4 I think

Last edited:
Aug 12, 2019
Shouldn't we count active IPs? Historically, Nintendo had the best IPs, but it's not like they're doing much with most of them anymore, so it's kind of a moot point.

I mean, I think Nintendo still wins depending on where you make that cutoff and how you define active (how narrow you go here determines a lot of what can be counted as active or not since many IPs still make regular appearances, just not always as brand new games). Microsoft doesn't have enough to really be in this conversation, and Sony doesn't actually have a ton of active IPs, certainly not longer running ones with ONLY Ratchet and Clank and God of War making it to the new generation alongside MediEvil getting a specific remake of the older ones.

Sony doesn't also rely on franchises as much, which I feel like somewhat inflates their count when tons of those games are just singular entries with no clear future... or sometimes share certain things, but can be several different IPs technically. For example, David Cage has made Heavy Rain, Beyond Two Souls, and Detroit... Those are 3 IPs... but they're not going to go anywhere further and all fall under the umbrella of the David Cage-verse so to speak. Meanwhile, Fire Emblem has over 10 extremely different entries that largely register as independent games, but they'd all fall under the Fire Emblem singular IP despite being as different as the three Cages games I listed earlier (if not more so, I'm not a huge Cage fan, so, but he provides a great frame of reference for this conversation).

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
Major League Baseball is not an IP. Shit, it's not even the only game to have the MLB license.

Sony has had a first party major league baseball title on the playstation since the PS1. It's currently named MLB: The Show which is the ONLY Major League Baseball title being developed by anyone.

Prior to the show, that game was produced under different names like MLB: Pennant Race and MLB 98/2000/2001/2002/2003/2004/2005.

Those games were both developed AND published by Sony and were first party IP, even if the MLB name was licensed. It's no different than the SEGA SPORTS titles like Joe Montana Football that Sega was pumping out during the 16 bit era. Third party studios could and did pay to make other *differently named* MLB titles, but Sony was just better at it.

Those games were first party exclusive IP, developed by internal studios, and Sony owns the rights to the "MLB: The Show" name.

Last edited:

Hieroph

Oct 28, 2017
I mean, I think Nintendo still wins depending on where you make that cutoff and how you define active (how narrow you go here determines a lot of what can be counted as active or not since many IPs still make regular appearances, just not always as brand new games). Microsoft doesn't have enough to really be in this conversation, and Sony doesn't actually have a ton of active IPs, certainly not longer running ones with ONLY Ratchet and Clank and God of War making it to the new generation alongside MediEvil getting a specific remake of the older ones.

You really need to take a look at some of the Sony IP lists in this thread, or just get more familiar with them in some way. I'm not going to repeat myself or others on a point that has been made countless times already.

Anyways, I consider 5 years a good cutoff for "active" IPs. And ports don't count, it has to be a new game. That means it has been over 5 years since a new Mario Kart or NSMB game. And sure, those are big IPs and great games, but even Mario Kart 8 isn't doing much for me in 2019, and MK9 is nowhere in sight. And for a lot of Nintendo IPs the story is much worse.

Deleted member 3017

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You really need to take a look at some of the Sony IP lists in this thread, or just get more familiar with them in some way. I'm not going to repeat myself or others on a point that has been made countless times already.

Anyways, I consider 5 years a good cutoff for "active" IPs. And ports don't count, it has to be a new game. That means it has been over 5 years since a new Mario Kart or NSMB game. And sure, those are big IPs and great games, but even Mario Kart 8 isn't doing much for me in 2019, and MK9 is nowhere in sight. And for a lot of Nintendo IPs the story is much worse.

Labeling Mario Kart and New Super Mario Bros. as non-active franchises is probably the funniest thing I've read in this thread. Even if you discount the Deluxe ports, which is insane considering how strongly the market has embraced them, both series have received new mobile entries within the past three years. So yeah, they're active franchises.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
Labeling Mario Kart and New Super Mario Bros. as non-active franchises is probably the funniest thing I've read in this thread. Even if you discount the Deluxe ports, which is insane considering how strongly the market has embraced them, both series have received new mobile entries within the past three years. So yeah, they're active franchises.

I agree that discounting a title that hasn't seen a release in 5 years is a bit silly. The PS4 and Xbox One are both over 5 years old. I would say if it hasn't seen an entry in 2 generations it's probably not accurate to call an IP "active" per se.

Aug 10, 2019
I personally prefer Sony, but Nintendo is in a completely different ballpark. It's like comparing HBO to Disney. Yeah HBO creates amazing titles that push artistic boundaries and tell compelling and mature stories, but everyone in the world knows who Mickey Mouse is.

Shpeshal Nick

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
I was agreeing with you. Microsoft's IP are so forgettable even Microsoft has forgotten about them. The person you were quoting is crazy.

Really?

You know they own all the Rare IPs yeah? Which if brought back and done properly would be pretty big stuff.

Let alone all the other stuff they own that they've left for longer than they should.

Any old IP can be rejuvenated if brought back properly. Look at God of War.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
Really?

You know they own all the Rare IPs yeah? Which if brought back and done properly would be pretty big stuff.

The N64 with every single Rare IP on it sold an anemic 36 million consoles total. The best selling rare developed title was Goldeneye, and the Bond license is not among the rare IP.

Any old IP can be rejuvenated if brought back properly. Look at God of War.

How on earth is "God of War" an Old IP?

God of War 1 and 2 sold about 4 million copies each on PS2, God of War III sold 5 million copies on PS3, and Chains of Olympus sold about 3 million on PSP before God of War PS4 sold 10+ million copies on PS4.

Sony kept God of War an active IP generation over generation. The Rare stuff largely hasn't been seen in a decade and hasn't been relevant since the 1990s.

Viceratops

Banned
Jun 29, 2018

Now do action/platformers for Nintendo and multiplayer shooters for Xbox since you like deconstructing games in such a reductionist way.

tenderbrew

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Obviously Sony here. Nintendo's stable of IP has barely changed in generations.

Zelda
Smash
Mario Kart
Wii (X) [dead IP]
Donkey Kong
Mario
Metroid
Pokemon
Punch Out!!
Starfox
Animal Crossing
Kirby
Fire Emblem
Splatoon

I may be missing one or two, but most of these (Sans Wii whatever) have been around since the NES or SNES. Nintendo has consistently been pumping these titles out for decades. But do they move consoles?

Nes: about 64 million
SNES: about 49 million
N64: about 32 million
Gamecube: about 21 million
Wii: about 102 million
Wii U: about 14 million
Switch: about 36 million (and counting)

This is....incredibly inconsistent. Despite a steady stream of first party titles, nintendo's console sales are all over the place. There's a dedicated audience that buys them but they are not pushing systems to the broader audience. There's a very good argument to be made that it's the hardware that's been selling systems for Nintendo and not the software since at least the Wii.

Sony's IP on the other hand?

Gran Turismo
Twisted Metal
Wipeout
MLB: The Show
MediEvil
Ratchet and Clank
Killzone
Siren
Sly Cooper
God of War
Little Big Planet
Demon's Souls
Bloodborne
Infamous
Ico/SOTC/Last Guardian
Uncharted
The Last of Us
Knack
Driveclub
Until Dawn
Everybody's Golf/Hot Shots Golf
Astro Bot
Days Gone
Dreams
Horizon: Zero Dawn
Death Stranding
Ghosts of Tsushima

This ignores long dormant franchises Sony hasn't done anything with in a long time, such as Dark Cloud, Jak & Daxter, PaRappa, The Getaway, Mark of Kri, Frequency/Amplitude, Everquest, SOCOM, Ape Escape, Singstar, Syphon Filter, Motorstorm, Resistance, Heavenly Sword, or Warhawk/Starhawk.

Nintendo doesn't have the breadth or depth of IP to compete with this.

That stable of IP hits a broader audience than nintendo does, one that's more in line with the titles that third parties like to produce (which encourages third parties to produce titles for the system) and most recent titles have a multiplayer component that's in line with where the market's been for the past two generations.

Just, wow.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
I personally prefer Sony, but Nintendo is in a completely different ballpark. It's like comparing HBO to Disney. Yeah HBO creates amazing titles that push artistic boundaries and tell compelling and mature stories, but everyone in the world knows who Mickey Mouse is.

Once again- name recognition and strength of IP are two completely different things. Mickey Mouse is more universally known, but Game of Thrones got 20 million people an episode watching season 8.

Mickey Mouse has *never* been that huge. It's apples and oranges.

Nanashrew

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It doesn't, because the handheld side has had no viable competition outside of the Sony PSP. Token efforts were put forth by Atari, Bandai, SEGA, NEC, and SNK, but it was never anywhere near as competitive as console-land. Nintendo owned that space by default, not through strength of IP.
I would say their IP has everything to do with it. Nintendo has shown time and time again that they don't treat their handhelds like a second or third tier device, and they put out a ton of original and established IP on their handhelds frequently and consistently. People aren't buying Nintendo's handhelds for no reason. Yeah, the competition was lacking, but it also showed how much more care Nintendo puts into the handheld space and how much they're willing to develop for their handheld devices which has made them so consistent much like Sony is in the home console space. They make their handhelds worth owning.

truly101

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Nintendo has the best stable of stable IPs, if that makes sense. You're getting Mario, Zelda, Smash, Pokemon, Animal Crossing more or less every console. The ones that don't make regular appearances have a huge demand when they do, like Fire Emblem and Metroid.
Sony has a very good lineup of IPs, but there's no guarantee how long they'll be around. tlou is most likely gone after this sequel, there may be 2 more HZD games, who knows. In some ways thats a good thing but in others, I'd like to see these franchises grow over time. They've had some successful IPS that they've let die after a while.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
I would say their IP has everything to do with it. Nintendo has shown time and time again that they don't treat their handhelds like a second or third tier device, and they put out a ton of original and established IP on their handhelds frequently and consistently. People aren't buying Nintendo's handhelds for no reason. Yeah, the competition was lacking, but it also showed how much more care Nintendo puts into the handheld space and how much they're willing to develop for their handheld devices which has made them so consistent much like Sony is in the home console space. They make their handhelds worth owning.

I don't think we disagree as much as you think. Nintendo put a lot of effort into the handheld space, and leveraged the strength of the NES to turn the Gameboy into a success. The stranglehold they had on the market from the retail side at that time ensured that contemporaries like the Lynx, Game Gear, and Turboexpress portable would never get off the ground, at least in the US.

It was that market concentration that ensured that the gameboy would be uncontested in the handheld space. Those systems were sent to die, and barely any effort was spent marketing and producing them.

The nomad? a US only device, poorly marketed, with no exclusive software. It was an extension of the Genesis SEGA put no more effort into than the 32X.

Sony was the first company to put serious dollars into competing with the gameboy, and even then only for a single generation as the handheld market collapsed shortly before the release of the Vita- which was similarly left to die in the US.

With the exception of the PSP, Nintendo wasn't competing on the strength of their IP with *anyone* significant in the handheld space for 30 years.

Shpeshal Nick

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
The N64 with every single Rare IP on it sold an anemic 36 million consoles total. The best selling rare developed title was Goldeneye, and the Bond license is not among the rare IP.

How on earth is "God of War" an Old IP?

God of War 1 and 2 sold about 4 million copies each on PS2, God of War III sold 5 million copies on PS3, and Chains of Olympus sold about 3 million on PSP before God of War PS4 sold 10+ million copies on PS4.

Sony kept God of War an active IP generation over generation. The Rare stuff largely hasn't been seen in a decade and hasn't been relevant since the 1990s.

But God of War was rejuvenated. It was reimagined.

Also, it's a 14 year old IP. It's not exactly new.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
You said MLB is Sony IP. That was not true. And btw that's multiplatform.

I said MLB because sony changed the name of their first party MLB game across generations. It's currently "The Show", it used to be called something else.
MLB The Show is exclusive and can never be ported to any other system, nor can any of the other MLB games sony made because they aren't multiplatform.

The only thing licensed are the names of the players, franchise names, and ballparks. The rest of the game is built from the ground up and is exclusive to the platform, much like racing games like Gran Turismo and Driveclub which license cars from auto manufacturers.

But God of War was rejuvenated. It was reimagined.

Also, it's a 14 year old IP. It's not exactly new.

your comparison is a bad one. God of War was a consistently active IP. You say it's "reimagined?" Sony "reimagined" the God of War IP into a multiplayer title With God of War: Ascension (which i forgot to list previously) on PS3.

There is a vast, vast difference between a legacy IP that gets entries every couple of years, and an IP that's been completely dead and irrelevant since the late 90s, which is where virtually all of the Rare IP is right now.

Dysun

Oct 25, 2017
Miami
Non-contest. Of course its Nintendo.

The battle for second place is more interesting, I would have given it to Microsoft before this last generation but the power of Halo/Gears/Fable faded significantly

Strat

"This guy are sick"
Apr 8, 2018
I'd bet in 10 years Sony will have a bunch of new IP that we wouldn't recognize now. You might see a few established franchises hanging around, or making a comeback, but they won't be on Uncharted 10, TLoU 8 and whatever. They'll have new stuff. Nintendo will still be making Mario, Pokemon, Zelda etc.

This isn't even close.

ZSJ

Alt-Account
Banned
Jul 21, 2019
It's easily Nintendo even though Sony is a lot more likely to make a good new IP. They have multiple juggernauts that will sell millions regardless of the hardware. Mario Kart 8 sold over 8 million copies on the Wii U lol

tenderbrew

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Once again- name recognition and strength of IP are two completely different things. Mickey Mouse is more universally known, but Game of Thrones got 20 million people an episode watching season 8.
I truly do not get this distinction.

Mickey is more recognizable, undeniably drives more sales, has huge media properties that millions of kids watch.

It's perfectly fine for someone to "like Game of Thrones more than Mickey" of course, but to question his pull is odd.

truly101

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I sometimes wonder what we would get if Sony managed their IPs like Nintendo did. Did Resistance need to die, the 1st and 3rd games were well liked and that style of story based FPS isn't being made a lot anymore. Twisted Metal seem like an obvious choice to try a hero shooter type game. Legend of Dragoon was really successful back on the PS1, if they had nurtured the brand, it could have become more than a FFVII clone. Not all of Nintendo's decisions are great, but for the most part, they know how to manage and grow the IP.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
I truly do not get this distinction.

Mickey is more recognizable,

yep.

undeniably drives more sales

Than GAME OF THRONES??? absolutely not.

has huge media properties that millions of kids watch.

nowhere in the same universe as the above. Animated television generally pulls viewership below a million viewers an episode. Something like GOT is pulling 20 times as many viewers at minimum, and GOT was by far the biggest driver for HBO's subscription service.

You may be too young to remember, but the Disney Channel USED to be subscription based as HBO is, but the Mickey Mouse franchise along with Disney's then-current stable of exclusive movies wasn't enough to sustain it.

There is absolutely no way for Disney to use the Mickey Mouse IP to pull the numbers that something like Game of Thrones does, which is *why* Disney spent billions on the Marvel and Star Wars IP.

They were simply out of ideas.

StarErik

Oct 27, 2017
I love all 3, but Nintendo is the only answer for me. Zelda, man. Zelda is pure magic. No other franchise excites me more. Not that big on Mario anymore, but the main games are still really great.

I really hope Insomniac makes more Ratchet & Clank games, that's an excellent Sony IP. And I really hope MS realizes what a great IP collection they actually own that is not only Halo, Gears or Forza. Voodoo Vince 2, where is it?

touchfuzzy

Banned
Jul 27, 2019
Now do action/platformers for Nintendo and multiplayer shooters for Xbox since you like deconstructing games in such a reductionist way.

Even if you get REALLY reductive the other two have more genre variety

Nintendo IP same period:

Released:

Fire Emblem: Three Houses - RPG
Super Mario Maker 2 - Platformer
Yoshi's Crafted World - Platformer
New Super Mario U Deluxe - Platformer
Super Smash Bros. Ultimate - Fighting
Pokemon Let's Go! - RPG
Super Mario Party - Party/Board Game
Xenoblade Chronicles 2: The Golden Country - RPG
Mario Tennis Aces - Sports
Kirby: Star Allies - Platformer

Upcoming:

Astral Chain - Action/Adventure
Zelda: Link's Awakening - Action/Adventure
Luigi's Mansion 3 - Action/Adventure
Pokemon Sword/Shield - RPG
Animal Crossing: New Horizons - Sim

Microsoft:

Released:

Gears 5 - Action/Adventure
Crackdown 3 - Action/Adventure
Forza Horizon 4 - Racing
Sea of Thieves - Action/Adventure
Super Lucky's Tale - Platformer
Halo Wars 2 - RTS
Forza 7 - Racing

Upcoming:

Ori 2 - Platformer
Psychonauts 2 - Platformer
Halo Infinite - FPS

tenderbrew

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Like why is this viewers per ep of something the metric though. Mickey drives merch. Same with something with Disney Princesses, it's absolutely titanic seller and continues to push their older movies as well as vehicles.

Also GoT is over. 20mm were viewing episodes at it's peak. I don't think that's a great metric either as it doesn't measure longevity. I think once Winds of Winter comes out, there is no doubt it's going to sell gangbusters and it's going to do even better because the show exists. But above Mickey Mouse as an icon of pure sales? I dunno if I buy it.

Chaos Legion

The Wise Ones
Oct 30, 2017
I like Sony, but Nintendo and it's not even remotely close.

Maybe a little biased, but honestly in terms of IP, I always felt that Sega was the only console manufacturer with a bench that could even rival Nintendo's.

Ænima

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
Sony to me. I keep picking Sony consoles each generation because they have the IPs i enjoy playing the most.

But nintendo is in business for much longer, is only natural they have a bigger amout of great IPs so the poll results are not surprizing. They are quality IPs too, just not for my tastes.

Last edited:

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
Like why is this viewers per ep of something the metric though. Mickey drives merch. Same with something with Disney Princesses, it's absolutely titanic seller and continues to push their older movies as well as vehicles.

it's impossible to know how much merchandise out of the ENTIRE disney merchandise stable Mickey specifically is driving because Disney does not break that out and never will, but I'd say at present it's not a lot, given that the Disney Princess, Star Wars, and Marvel IP are rolled into that. But the disney TOTAL retail merchandise revenue number is probably lower than you think:

consumer-product-revenue-of-the-walt-disney-company-by-segment.jpg

TOTAL retail sales for *every property disney owns* in 2018 was 1.59 Billion. That includes everything Marvel and Star Wars produce. Mickey is a rounding error in comparison to those two. the 20 million people watching Game of Thrones in comparison were making HBO somewhere around 300 million dollars a month.

And this completely ignores GOT merchandise, of which there is quite a bit.

GOT is the more valuable franchise.

I have bad news for you, friend.

Bumrush

Oct 25, 2017
I love Nintendo so much but Sony takes the cake for me. Still, I definitely expected and completely understand why the poll is so lopsided.

Rndom Grenadez

Prophet of Truth
Dec 7, 2017
I said MLB because sony changed the name of their first party MLB game across generations. It's currently "The Show", it used to be called something else.
MLB The Show is exclusive and can never be ported to any other system, nor can any of the other MLB games sony made because they aren't multiplatform.

The only thing licensed are the names of the players, franchise names, and ballparks. The rest of the game is built from the ground up and is exclusive to the platform, much like racing games like Gran Turismo and Driveclub which license cars from auto manufacturers.

your comparison is a bad one. God of War was a consistently active IP. You say it's "reimagined?" Sony "reimagined" the God of War IP into a multiplayer title With God of War: Ascension (which i forgot to list previously) on PS3.

There is a vast, vast difference between a legacy IP that gets entries every couple of years, and an IP that's been completely dead and irrelevant since the late 90s, which is where virtually all of the Rare IP is right now.

I don't know how you can continue to ignore facts. You said MLB was a Sony IP. Major League Baseball is not a Sony intellectual property any more than any other licensed game. The license in no way shape or form belongs to Sony.

Sony has an incredible amount of great IP. MLB is not one of them. Period.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
I sometimes wonder what we would get if Sony managed their IPs like Nintendo did. Did Resistance need to die, the 1st and 3rd games were well liked and that style of story based FPS isn't being made a lot anymore. Twisted Metal seem like an obvious choice to try a hero shooter type game. Legend of Dragoon was really successful back on the PS1, if they had nurtured the brand, it could have become more than a FFVII clone. Not all of Nintendo's decisions are great, but for the most part, they know how to manage and grow the IP.

At some point you need to concede that Sony has number crunchers working internally that have a better handle on what makes money and what doesn't.
Why would Sony want to handle their properties like Nintendo? They steamrolled nintendo 2 out of the 3 console generations they went head to head, and the fourth is looking to be an easy win as well.

Is there any universe in which a better handled "Legend of Dragoon" gets the PS2 to sell more than the 155 million+ that it did? I can't see how.

I don't know how you can continue to ignore facts. Your MLB was a Sony IP. Major League Baseball is not a Sony intellectual property any more than any other licensed game. The license in no way shape or form belongs to Sony.

Sony has an incredible amount of great IP. MLB is not one of them. Period.

Let me slow this down for you as much as possible because you seem to be struggling with it.

"MLB: The SHOW" is a Sony exclusive First Party IP. It can never be made by anyone else, can never be ported to another system, and is 100% sony intellectual property. MLB absolutely cannot license any other developer to make an "MLB: The Show" game, even though Sony licensed players, ballparks, and league logos to make that game Sony owns that IP.

Similarly, Sony owns the MLB 98/etc IP that predated "The Show" and the "MLB" Pennant Race" IP. No one else can ever make those games, they cannot be ported, Sony owns them entirely.

It isn't any different than Driveclub. That game was made by licensing cars from auto manufacturers that Sony does not own, but the game is a first party Sony exclusive IP that was developed by them and can never appear anywhere else.

me writing "MLB" was a shortcut for the several different names that sony produced a first party MLB IP under. Is this clear?

Last edited:

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017
Name recognition and strength of IP are two completely different things. My grandmother knows what Pac-man is, but has never heard of Fortnite. Which one is the more valuable IP?

The OP didn't ask for the most valuable OP, they asked for the most stable. Considering the Pac-Man series has been getting releases for 39 years now, that's obviously the more stable of the two. Considering Fortnite is already showing signs of declining profits, I'm not sure stable would be the word I'd use for it.

Calvinien

Banned
Jul 13, 2019
Microsoft is sitting on a mountain of IP. I think only EA underuses their own stuff worse.

These are just some of what they aren't working on

Perfect Dark
Jet Force
Blast Corps
Conker
Banjo
Shadowrun
Mechwarrior
Crimson Skies
Blood wake

Never mind that the halo universe could easily lend itself to flight sims and rainbow six style tactical shooters. There's a bevy of ips ready to be exploited.