• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which game will sell more in its lifetime?

• Super Smash Bros: Ultimate

Votes: 1,236 47.6%
  • The Last of Us: Part 2

Votes: 504 19.4%
  • Halo Infinite

Votes: 103 4.0%
  • Something else will overtake all of these

Votes: 106 4.1%
  • Pokemon

Votes: 647 24.9%

• Total voters
Oct 26, 2017
You are not getting my point , I said if you own a switch you are likely gonna buy only it's exclusives because 3rd party games are mostly not their but it's not the case for the other two!
But most Switch owners also own a PS4, PC, and/or XB1 so that doesn't matter too much as most of them are still going to have to choose between games across multiple platforms, never mind the fact that the Switch has had plenty of indie and 3rd party titles do fairly well

goldenpp73

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
Ah yes, Smash Ultimate and its drastic change of its old formula and leap in graphics from worse than ps2 graphics to Switch graphics

You do realize no Smash game even ever sold 18m?

Smash has seen an increase in sales every single release, pokemon not so much. It was obvious Ultimate would outsell them all, and it will do so easily. I said this before launch as well, it won't stop selling until after the gen is over.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The new games will not be some huge difference in sales unless it's a drastic redo of the formula. Breath of the wild isn't selling tons because of switch, it's selling because it redid the formula and did so masterfully. No pokemon game since the game boy has sold more than 18 million, you think this new one will destroy that?
no 3d mario game did as well as odyssey
no smash did as well as ultimate
no zelda did as well as botw
now of course these games are excellent so that helped too, but switch really elevated them to new levels, no reason it's not gonna do it for pokemon. plus this one will have the actual novelty of being the first proper pokemon game you can play on the tv.

Last edited:

Aokiji

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles
pokemon is pokemon, smash has an insane attach rate thing going for it, tlou2 will launch to ~100M consoles, and halo just isnt the sales juggernaut it used to be, so i'll go with that order.

though i'd say tlou2 could more than likely outsell smash, if u4, gow & spidey sales are anything to go by, let alone tlou1.

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
Smash has seen an increase in sales every single release, pokemon not so much. It was obvious Ultimate would outsell them all, and it will do so easily. I said this before launch as well, it won't stop selling until after the gen is over.
Smash Wii U and 3DS didn't see an increase in sales compared to Brawl no matter how much you wish they did.

Oct 26, 2017
Smash Wii U and 3DS didn't see an increase in sales compared to Brawl no matter how much you wish they did.
When put together, they did see an increase. At the very least, if you don't want to go with that, than it can be acknowledged that the game was held back by the platforms it was on. Smash works best on consoles, where you can use additional controllers and have local couch multiplayer, so the 3DS wasn't an ideal platform for Smash and the Wii U was the Wii U

aerie

wonky
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I'd imagine it's going to be Super Smash Bros. First party Nintendo games tend to have incredibly strong attachment rates and sell for years and years. The only thing that might give it a run for it's money is a new Mario Kart.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You are not getting my point , I said if you own a switch you are likely gonna buy only it's exclusives because 3rd party games are mostly not their but it's not the case for the other two!
a, people buy a ton of non-nintendo games on switch
b, no one ever feels obligated to buy games on any platform just cuz they have it. most switch owners have other platforms and can play games on there if they choose to.

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
When put together, they did see an increase. At the very least, if you don't want to go with that, than it can be acknowledged that the game was held back by the platforms it was on. Smash works best on consoles, where you can use additional controllers and have local couch multiplayer, so the 3DS wasn't an ideal platform for Smash and the Wii U was the Wii U
And Pokémon wasn't held back by being on a handheld? Wii games saw much much higher attach rates compared to their DS counterparts, with the notable exception of Animal Crossing, but City Folk was such a let down that it's to be expected.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
I'd imagine it's going to be Super Smash Bros. First party Nintendo games tend to have incredibly strong attachment rates and sell for years and years. The only thing that might give it a run for it's money is a new Mario Kart.
You mean the old/current Mario Kart.

That's the true answer the question.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
And Pokémon wasn't held back by being on a handheld?

No. Pokémon as a series was built with being a handheld game in mind, whereas smash absolutely wasn't.

If you combine them they did, and Ultimate will shatter and single sku or combined sku.

If you combine them, sure, but that's fudging the numbers at best, because there's going to be a lot of people who bought the Wii u version that also had the 3ds game, effectively counting them twice if you simply add the two together.

Deleted member 10726

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
ResetERA
While true, one has to consider that Gen 8's legs will be cut short in a year or two by another mainline Pokémon game (unlike a once-per-console-generation series like Smash). It's more of a question of how much Pokémon Gen 8 can sell before that happens.

That's a good point! I guess in terms of total sales of all Pokémon games on the Switch it will end up outdoing Smash in the long run, but as far as releases in isolation are concerned, Smash might sell more than any Pokémon game.

Thanks for bringing that up, I really didn't see it from that perspective.

Renna Hazel

Oct 27, 2017
And Pokémon wasn't held back by being on a handheld? Wii games saw much much higher attach rates compared to their DS counterparts, with the notable exception of Animal Crossing, but City Folk was such a let down that it's to be expected.
Pokemon definitely wasn't held back by being on a handheld. Pokemon flourished because of that. The social aspect of Pokemon is one reason it's so huge.

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
No. Pokémon as a series was built with being a handheld game in mind, whereas smash absolutely wasn't.
I guess I imagined all those years of people clamoring for a Pokémon entry on a home console. Besides the fact that home consoles have way higher attach rates for games compared to handhelds. The Wii sold about the same amount of software as the DS despite the huge gulf in userbases.

RaulBalarezoS

Banned
Jan 22, 2019
Obviously SMBU or Pokémon, no doubt, what makes me laugh is the fact that some people think Halo is gonna outsell TLOU 2 lol

Oct 27, 2017
Why do you think that considering sun and moon got a pokemon go boost? Let's go didn't exactly kill it, there is no reason to assume the next pokemon is going to do 25 million or something.

Because Detective Pikachu is coming out this year and all Switch iterations of games have been outpacing their previous records (except Mario Kart I think, because MKWii was a beast)

Deleted member 5028

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think The Last Of Us Part II will have some extremely long legs.
Are we talking a single release format or are we taking into account eventual remasters because releasing the same title twice gives an unfair, inflated number which those other games won't be doing. Nintendo won't remaster Smash, MS won't remaster Infinite for the next gen.

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
It wont be, but you weren't talking about Switch when I quoted you.
I'll explain my point better. I meant that there's sales potential in home consoles that Pokémon wasn't able to tap into before because the sales potential linked to its social aspect on handhelds was still bigger. Now, it can have both, therefore it won't be held back by the handheld aspect.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
You're just assuming Pokémon won't see growth like every other Nintendo franchise on Switch for no reason while it's probably the one that benefits from being on Switch the most.

Because the "every other franchise is doing better on switch!" Is era posters being extremely selective in viewing.

Tropical freeze is doing better than the Wii u version, sure, but it's nowhere near any of the other games in the franchise, and it's looking pretty unlikely to reach any of them.

Kirby isn't going to get anywhere near the DS superstar or other top sellers in that series.

Captain toad might eventually limp to the sales that the Wii U version got.

If just being a console Pokémon was enough to guarantee sales success, the GameCube ones wouldn't have sat at only 2.4 and 1.4 million while the GBA games were still doing 10+m copies.

The people predicting 25m copies for Pokémon are daft, because that would require it to be a botw tier reinvention of the series, and lol, gamefreak aren't capable of that.

Renna Hazel

Oct 27, 2017
I'll explain my point better. I meant that there's sales potential in home consoles that Pokémon wasn't able to tap into before because the sales potential linked to its social aspect on handhelds was still bigger. Now, it can have both, therefore it won't be held back by the handheld aspect.
Fair enough, I personally hope it sees a big increase.

Because the "every other franchise is doing better on switch!" Is era posters being extremely selective in viewing.

Tropical freeze is doing better than the Wii u version, sure, but it's nowhere near any of the other games in the franchise, and it's looking pretty unlikely to reach any of them.

Kirby isn't going to get anywhere near the DS superstar or other top sellers in that series.

If just being a console Pokémon was enough to guarantee sales success, the GameCube ones wouldn't have sat at only 2.4 and 1.4 million while the GBA games were still doing 10+m copies.

The people predicting 25m copies for Pokémon are daft, because that would require it to be a botw tier reinvention of the series, and lol, gamefreak aren't capable of that.
I don't think people include ports when they make this statement. Ports tend to sell worse than original games.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
i agree. pokemon is huge on and because of handhelds, doesn't mean the first proper entry that can also be played on tv like a normal console game won't bring a new audience and add some sales to the game.

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017

Your only examples here are ports and spin offs, lol.
Kirby is still outselling 3DS entries, too.

Odyssey and Smash didn't have any reinvention. Neither did Xenoblade or Splatoon.

Ocean Bones

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Smash could end up a 30 million seller by the end of the gen. So that.

Last 2 is a 15-20 million seller.

Halo could be anywhere from 10 to 30 if it's pc and Xbox one.

10-15 if it's just Xbox.

Andri

Mar 20, 2018
Switzerland
If you combine them, sure, but that's fudging the numbers at best, because there's going to be a lot of people who bought the Wii u version that also had the 3ds game, effectively counting them twice if you simply add the two together.

To be fair, pretty much everyone accepts that 17m figure for TLOU, and that definitviely includes boatloads of double dippers who have it on PS3 and PS4.
So imo its fair to count 3DS and WiiU Smash 4 combined.

Because if we talk single SKU, this whole tread would make no sense, since all games besides Smash will have multiple SKUs, Pokemon with its dual release, Halo and TLOU2 with their cross gen releases.

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
To be fair, pretty much everyone accepts that 17m figure for TLOU, and that definitviely includes boatloads of double dippers who have it on PS3 and PS4.
So imo its fair to count 3DS and WiiU Smash 4 combined.

Because if we talk single SKU, this whole tread would make no sense, since all games besides Smash will have multiple SKUs, Pokemon with its dual release, Halo and TLOU2 with their cross gen releases.
But then Mario Kart 8 will just obviously win

gogojira

Oct 27, 2017
Given the massive success of Smash and how it will continue to sell with Switch purchases? I'm saying Smash.

Feb 8, 2018
one thing I learned from this poll is that "infinite" isn't the smartest name for a IP. Will make the successor's name sound like : Meh. Maybe it'll be the last halo :)

hard to tell what will sell the most but if nintendo continues to sell well then I can see one of their franchises being the biggest. TlouP2 will be big for sony no doubt.

Last edited:

Andri

Mar 20, 2018
Switzerland
But then Mario Kart 8 will just obviously win

I said that some pages ago, but for some reason MK8 being on WiiU and Switch is not the same thing as TLOU being on PS3 and PS4, or TLOU2 being on PS4/PS5.

Probably just the usual different standarts that only apply to Nintendo(aka Smash is not the best selling fighting game, because its Smash and not a "realistic" fighter, MK is not the best selling Racing game because its MK and Pokemon is not the best selling RPG franchise, because its Pokemon).

Ascenion

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mecklenburg-Strelitz
Paired with the Halo brand being on the decline for pretty much a decade if the Xbox had double the units sold it probably still not come out on top.

Hence my qualifier of a 90+ MC Halo Infinite. At that point it isn't declining anymore. And I didn't say too, I said it could beat TLOU2 and I stand by that. Multiplayer is the key.

Oct 26, 2017
Not anywhere near to the same as Smash was on the 3DS and the Wii U as RPGs are ideal on handhelds and, for many, Pokemon is the big reason to get one in the first place. I don't doubt that Pokemon will sell better on the Switch but it wasn't as held back as some of Nintendo's other franchises

OP
OP
BladeRunner2099
Aug 26, 2018
Hence my qualifier of a 90+ MC Halo Infinite. At that point it isn't declining anymore. And I didn't say too, I said it could beat TLOU2 and I stand by that. Multiplayer is the key.

This!!

For the folks who were burnt with Halo 5's campaign, Halo Infinite will focus more on telling a simpler story focused on Chief where you don't need to know all the lore to know what the hell's going on.

If MP takes off on Twitch, it will sell like crazy.

Fatmanp

Oct 27, 2017

I agree. I think the significance of a high quality Halo title cannot be understated. MS have alway been at their best when Halo is good. The decline started with Reach and ironically so did MS as they shifted focus onto Kinect.

CalamityPixel

Oct 27, 2017
Probably Pokemon or Last of Us, depending on whether or not 343i give out a Halo game that everyone is absolutely craving for.