• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 26, 2017
Appalachia
I've just noticed that a certain group of gamers tends to have grown up in or become accustomed to a culture that has placed weight upon third parties, so that's where their value is in the industry, and that's what forms their opinions on matters of hardware, be it availability or performance or what-have-you.

Epilexia

Jan 27, 2018
I have zero interest in third party blockbuster attempts, with a few exceptions. I bought my Switch because I really missed Nintendo games, after skipping the Wii-U. When I bought my Switch, I wasn't thinking in made of this console my main primary ecosystem, because the thing that interests me the most are indie games. But after seeing the superb indie catalogue in Switch, and how every week I have various interesting indie releases, I stopped using Steam. And now, Switch is my main and only system, in which I expend all the money. Also, because its portability, it's very hard to go back to a non hybrid ecosystem.

But while my interest in violent occidental games with gray palettes is zero, I don't have problems if they are ported to Switch. The only thing that irritates me, it's when I read the unifying rhetoric saying that as a Nintendo user, I should support these releases. Because the thing that I love from a Nintendo ecosystem is precisely the Nintendo way of doing the things, thinking in different ways to the competency. If I want achievements, or to play 'GTA V', I would rather bought a PS4. Instead, I choose Switch because if fits my personal tastes, and Nintendo is a company with an ethos more close to my own philosophy in life.

Deleted member 11262

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is a very welcome development for the industry imo. As someone who plays mainly on Sony Platforms (only exception are strategy games on PC) I want a competitive market with Nintendo not only being the second/third platform for consumers, but also the primary platform for some of them.

What we are witnessing now is how wrong Playstation and XBox were assuming that Switch will be an option "on the side" (paraphrasing). For example some Indie games are selling much more on the Switch than on the other platforms (in some cases even combined).

Sadist

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Holland
But I never said it should be the number one place for AAA third party titles. Switch owners expecting more third party software from this generation of Nintendo hardware is reasonable. And looking at the current announcements, its been better and we're getting there.

For a few years back Dark Souls devs laughed about the prospect of releasing on Nintendo hardware. Now we're getting the remaster on the Switch. Its not the newest installment, but small steps.

Edit: and again, I don't think a lot of people are obsessed with Switch being the premiere platform for third party games. I think that group of people who want specific AAA games is smaller.

Last edited:
OP
OP
TheMisterManGuy
Oct 27, 2017
But I never said it should be the number one place for AAA third party titles. Switch owners expecting more third party software from this generation of Nintendo hardware is reasonable. And looking at the current announcements, its been better and we're getting there.

For a few years back Dark Souls devs laughed about the prospect of releasing on Nintendo hardware. Now we're getting the remaster on the Switch. Its not the newest installment, but small steps.

Of course, nobody was ever arguing for less support. The point is though, is that the Switch isn't meant to be a PS4 killer. It's meant as an alternative. It's made for later ports of games people already enjoyed at home, as well as smaller titles from smaller developers.

Majukun

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
it's simple
not everyone can afford multiple consoles every gen
so if there's a single console that cn get both nintendo games and third party stuff,it would be heaven.

instead people are usually forced to buy 2 consoles 8or go switch+ pc) when you want to enjoy both nintendo goods and the rest of the gen.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
I wouldnt call it "obsessed" - its a great system obv. people wanna have as much content on it as possible. Especially when it comes to series or adaptations that are no brainers.

Thats like asking why do people want a VC or classic games on Switch ? Or BC on Xbox etc. ? The answer is always the same - they want to have more options to chose from.

Oct 25, 2017
Because the Switch is selling very well unlike the Wii U and the Switch is not that far off in terms of power from the other consoles so ports of big AAA games are generally possible.
Yes, it is.

And, again - even the Wii had major third party support and only COD and Resident Evil did generally decent on it. Trying to justify playing Wolfenstein II on Switch because it's Nintendo in console mode is just stupid. It's like saying I'd rather play 3DS version of MGS3 just since it's the only Nintendo version, and it means it's okay then.

I know it has crouching but still.

Oct 27, 2017
Nintendo is popular because they have outstanding IP and make great games. Their IP and games are enough of a differentiation to warrant getting sales. Their gimmicks only hinder them. They could have made a dock that brought up the performance while docked to PS4 levels but chose not to. Not because they can't afford it, but because they're honestly, imo, not run very well. They succeed despite themselves. They're the most creative company in the world of gaming so people love their products. But then taking those IP and expertise in developing for them, and using business sense to bring those to the market optimally, are not what they're good at. Over and over again they fail at this. From using carts when others went to disc. To not including a DVD drive. To not going HD. To not including a Blu Ray drive. Not launching enough 1st party games to support new hardware. To making that same exact mistake with their next hardware, to not competing in power. To not making enough hardware for consumers to get their hands on. It's mistake after mistake. Yet they succeed despite that. Can you imagine if they were run well? How sick would it be to get cutting edge graphics for their IP? A Zelda, Metroid, Mario, etc that didn't force their developers to hold back due to power. They could have made a Wii with 1080p capabilities. They could have made the Wii U 1080p and as powerful as a PS4 except out a year before them. It's sad. They can do all the things you are saying makes them different and STILL be as powerful as the others. It's not a matter of this or that. Someone in Japan is making the decision to gimp their hardware out of pure cheapness and passing it off as "we don't want to compete in the same space as the others" and even convince their fans that it's for the best. It's crazy to me. But I'll keep buying their systems because I love their games. But there'd be absolutely no downside to them making a machine for gaming only on par power wise with XB1X. I'm really hoping they'll wise up and keep the Switch, mostly as the 3DS replacement, and when PS5 comes out they come out with something as powerful. I know it's dreaming and they'll likely continue to be a full generation behind if not more in perpetuity.

Donkusei

Banned
Nov 30, 2017
Because I don't want to pay 350~500€ or more for another system. Because of what Nintendo did with the Wii, Wii U and the Switch, I have to get a PlayStation or Xbox. By the way, even if the Switch gets some third-party games, each time it will be the same: the game doesn't run well, 720p, 30fps or less... Portable, ok, but I don't care I play only at home.
I'm not talking to get ALL the games, we don't care, but something like the Nintendo GameCube is perfectly fine for me. It wasn't a success, but I'm pretty sure that it wouldn't be the same now. I think we can explain this failure by many ways (toy design, no dvd player...), shame that Nintendo just think we have to do something different, we're not good in the frontal competition...

Typhon

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, it is.

And, again - even the Wii had major third party support and only COD and Resident Evil did generally decent on it. Trying to justify playing Wolfenstein II on Switch because it's Nintendo in console mode is just stupid. It's like saying I'd rather play 3DS version of MGS3 just since it's the only Nintendo version, and it means it's okay then.

I know it has crouching but still.

And even then, the Wii offered something different in terms of gameplay: the pointer function and motion controls. The Switch while a nice gimmick, in no way revolutionizes gameplay the way the Wii did. Even as someone who fell out of love with Nintendo I still consider the Wii edition of RE:4 to be the definitive version

weblaus

Oct 27, 2017
Because the Switch is selling very well unlike the Wii U and the Switch is not that far off in terms of power from the other consoles so ports of big AAA games are generally possible.

Possible? Yes.

But I'd say you just need to look at Doom to see what kind of compromises are necessary for more technically-demanding games - unless you're completely desperate to play on the go, why would you prefer the Switch port to PS4 / Xbox One?

And Doom is also a fine example against that "some people can't afford two systems" reasoning: When it was launched on Switch, that game cost at launch cost about four times the price of the other versions, so if money were an issue, that's not exactly an advantage either.

Oct 25, 2017
And even then, the Wii offered something different in terms of gameplay: the pointer function and motion controls. The Switch while a nice gimmick, in no way revolutionizes gameplay the way the Wii did. Even as someone who fell out of love with Nintendo I still consider the Wii edition of RE:4 to be the definitive version
Best controls - I love Wii cod since the controls feel so... right hehe. I can't get it anywhere else so the Wii U stays until Activision shuts them down.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know why this is always twisted to mean Western AAA games when that's mostly not the games Switch owners are port begging. Most of it is aimed at Japanese developers who are ignoring Switch despite the power of the thing not being an issue for most of what they produce and there being a proven audience for most of their content.

PS. "Not everything has to be on Switch" is complete bullshit too. The vast, vast majority of games aren't on Switch. You never see people say "Not everything has to be on PS4" or "Not everything has to be on PC" either.

tyfon

Nov 2, 2017
Norway
Personally I bought my switch to play Nintendo games so I couldn't care less if it has 3rd party games or not.
I will play those in the couch with better graphics anyway :)

But I can see that some people want to do that so let them ask for it.
As long as the developers don't downgrade games on other platforms to fit them on the switch as well I don't mind.

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
I think it originates from the number of people who don't care about first-party Sony/Microsoft stuff but do care about first-party Nintendo stuff. The fact that third-parties don't release everything on Nintendo platforms means they have to buy another platform, be it PC or another console.

Al3x1s

Banned
Nov 13, 2017
Greece
Switch is pretty cutting edge. I mean, maybe not absolute top of the line but it doesn't cost $999 or more like high end tablets etc just as Pro/X don't have an i7 and GTX 1070 (or 1080 or Titan) to cost $1399 (or $2000). Also, people like having lotsa games to take with them wherever they go with Switch, it's not just about Nintendo. If there was a Vita 2 you'd still see people wanting games put on it just as there were tons of people wanting games on Vita before Switch came around. At least Switch is universally popular and so far games sell relatively well justifying the ports, plus many publishers and devs literally ask people to express demand, and people do so in hopes of getting that supply. Why the confusion?

So those who wanted Nintendo to go 3rd party actually had a point?
Sure, but if you want to make a point about completely unrealistic (so far) scenarios such as an extremely successful company (like Nintendo is even during their lows, never mind their absolutely ridiculous highs) giving up a given field that provides tons of revenue for it, don't expect to not be ridiculed, vs the above that is far more sensible and, again, asked for by the publishers and developers themselves more often than not. And why was it okay for Vita but bad for Switch?

Last edited:

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
So those who wanted Nintendo to go 3rd party actually had a point?

Kind of a big difference there lol.

The climate where GTAV or a Bioshock game or something releases on a Nintendo system is not that extreme, implausible or different to what we have now as opposed to the situation where Super Mario Odyssey 2 releases on PS5. It'd probably equate with a lot of people losing their jobs as well as a lot of franchises becoming dead, amongst other things.

Deleted member 11276

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Possible? Yes.

But I'd say you just need to look at Doom to see what kind of compromises are necessary for more technically-demanding games - unless you're completely desperate to play on the go, why would you prefer the Switch port to PS4 / Xbox One?

And Doom is also a fine example against that "some people can't afford two systems" reasoning: When it was launched on Switch, that game cost at launch cost about four times the price of the other versions, so if money were an issue, that's not exactly an advantage either.

The compromises that Doom has are not significant. The gameplay still is very smooth even though its 30 FPS and it still looks great. Personally, I don't see much compromises. It even looks quite close to the Xbox One version.
Why I would prefer Switch versions over Xbox and PS4 versions? Because comfy gameplay and the fact that I am not bonded to a TV is far more important for me than resolution and fps.

Fawk Nin

Nov 6, 2017
I'm happy having one powerful console for third party games and then Nintendo's portable console for first party and indies. Some people don't have the budget for both though and, hence, want everything on the one platform. But for a lot of these games that require power, you'll be giving up portability. Even if Nintendo just mimicked the other consoles, the console wouldn't sell as well and the community for these games would suffer.

MatrixMan.exe

Oct 25, 2017
I can understand why but then I also think people need to come to terms with the fact that it's never going to happen so long as Nintendo's systems are underpowered compared to the competition.

If the Switch was an Xbox One/PS4 performance level system, given how well it's selling, you'd likely see a lot more third party content. But it isn't, and until Nintendo close that power gap it'll never have third party support as good as Xbox or PlayStation.

If you own a Nintendo system then prepare to have to own a second system if you want in on third party content. It's gotten better with Switch but it'll still miss out on a shit ton of games.

Oct 29, 2017
I used to think this, but I find major third party publishers have become a toxic influence on the industry. Kotick, Wilson et al are not nice people and once they started shoving gambling down the throats of minors they can go down with their companies for all I care. It helps that most of their games are boring anyway.

Kodama4

Oct 25, 2017
I think Nintendo have been very honest with their ethos or direction, since the Switch released.

Yes they are happy for 3rd parties to release on the Switch but that is not what they are all about. Nintendo could be throwing millions at tempting the latest 3rd parties or getting exclusive games etc; but they instead choose to create things such a Labo.

That there should be an absolute key indicator of Nintendo's mentality "yes we like 3rd parties but we prefer to creative and make new gaming experiences ourselves".

It amuses me greatly when I see people supposedly Nintendo fans or diehards that go off at them for not getting the best 3rd parties because these people haven't a clue about the true 'ethos' of there supposed favourite gaming company.

An example would be a certain sales thread that has great Nintendo fans but also a few that have no idea how Nintendo operates and demand 3rd parties bow down before the might of Nintendo hardware and port everything they can, when maybe Nintendo themselves may feel there platform may not be suitable for every game especially when they are trying to cater to the families and younger children.

Last edited:

Al3x1s

Banned
Nov 13, 2017
Greece
Yes they are happy for 3rd parties to release on the Switch but that is not what they are all about. Nintendo could be throwing millions at tempting the latest 3rd parties or getting exclusive games etc; but they instead choose to create things such a Labo.

That there should be an absolute key indicator of Nintendo's mentality "yes we like 3rd parties but we prefer to creative and make new gaming experiences ourselves".
Uh, then no company should make anything first party if that means they don't care enough for third? Sony & MS have tried stuff like Nintendo's before but they weren't successful enough to keep supporting those endeavors in a big way unlike much of Nintendo's unique ideas, is that the metric you go by for how much care they put in different fields, that they failed in other fields and so they didn't co exist alongside each other?

Anyway, I mean, all Nintendo portables so far had tons of third party support by offering a vast install base that actually did buy third party games in good numbers so they all wanted to try and tap into it, I don't think Switch will end up different as it's been off to a great start despite the expected early lack of an install base compared to established platforms.

It's still early days and games won't necessarily be ports of the latest PS4/Xbone titles if the tech gap is just too large (for others it won't be, that's fine) but they'll probably still offer ambitious/solid games for the platform. There are a few coming already, like SMTV, once again continuing from the DS line (even if they lost Monster Hunter for now due to the different direction Capcom wanted to go with it).

I don't see why people think Switch might end up like WiiU or GameCube rather than like DS/3DS in terms of third party support (I don't want to say like Wii because that was actually a bad move by third parties at the time in my opinion, unlike with the WiiU they left actual money on the table there by how they handled it early on being what fulfilled their own prophecies, it could have been as big as DS for them if they didn't treat it like a GameCube or worse).

Last edited:

Gilgy

Oct 28, 2017
Going off of anecdotal personal experience, I tend to find that a portion of people with this opinion usually rarely ever play Nintendo games. That's fine, not everyone enjoys those kinds of experiences. Instead a lot of people only recognise the industry mostly within AAA console releases. The Playstation, Xbox and even high end PC gaming environment encourages the notion that better graphics and more powerful hardware is one of, if not the main selling point of video games in general.

They do recognise the popularity of Nintendo franchises obviously. So people tend to come to the conclusion that by adding strong IP with powerful hardware is a perfect combination. Of course this is quite a shallow way of looking at industry, as judging the potential success of a product requires a much deeper look into many other factors.

The industry as whole has expanded significantly beyond more powerful console releases every 5-6 years. Since 2006 we've seen the rise of mobile and PC gaming, as well the success of low budget indie titles that choose to not compete with high budget AAA releases.

Besides AAA releases have been shown to always sell significantly less on Nintendo consoles and this will very likely still be the same on the Switch. Doom and Skyrim likely sold quite well for what Bethesda expectations were, but lets not kid ourselves that they sold anywhere close to the other versions.

DigSCCP

Banned
Nov 16, 2017
People buy video games to play games.
3P means more games, more options.
I mean its something obvious.

Oct 25, 2017
Don't know about premiere, but IMO switch version is extremely valuable - since it offers a console game with a portable mode.

Meaning, even if a port on switch isnt technically as good as my PS4 pro or X, there is immense value to me, in playing it portable.

Of course I don't want my Switch to be the main console for all third party multiplats. But I do want the system to continue to grow third party support, so I can continue to get these games in portable mode.

Oct 25, 2017
People want stuff that should be possible or has a history with Nintendo (DBZ Fighter GTA V and Monster Hunter) . We don't have a a lot of people asking for Red dead redemption 2 since most know it's impossible to try and put on that system.

Last edited:

Sadist

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Holland
Of course, nobody was ever arguing for less support. The point is though, is that the Switch isn't meant to be a PS4 killer. It's meant as an alternative. It's made for later ports of games people already enjoyed at home, as well as smaller titles from smaller developers.
Aaaand again, I think the majority of Switch owners (or people keeping up with gaming news on boards like this) never viewed the system as a PS4 killer. I think you don't quite understand people who say "I hope third parties will take the platform more seriously after all these sales results" and confusing them with the small group of folks who claim everything should be on Switch.

I think, looking at how people are responding to Switch software in general and how even third parties are responding to it, the current and possible future owners of the system just hope to see third parties publishing stuff they wouldn't normally bring to Nintendo platforms. Western third parties not so much, because well the mega releases from those publishers never seem to include Nintendo as a viable option, but there are enough games out there which would work fine on the platform. You see most folks hoping to see the yearly sports titles return (which seems to be probable with NBA 2K and FIFA 18) and Capcom stuff, but thats because they said themselves they are looking into bringing titles to the system that never released on Nintendo platforms to begin with.

And well, according to Emily, we'll be getting a few Switch announcements which will makes us say "huh, didn't see that one happening on Switch". That could be anything of course, but hey, I want to be pleasantly surprised.

Garf02

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
add to this that most games are done now in UE4, and that Engine now has native support for Switch Specs.

Nintendo doesn't make enough games tho.
and yet im sure they develop more games per year than any other publisher

Dr. Caroll

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The N64 enjoyed a lineup of some of the greatest exclusive titles of all time, superior versions of multiplatform titles compared to PS1, and generally decent third party developer support. But the fact it missed out on a range of hot third party titles was a black mark against it. This is something that has haunted Nintendo to varying degrees ever since.

requiem

Dec 3, 2017
Because I don't want to pay 350~500€ or more for another system. Because of what Nintendo did with the Wii, Wii U and the Switch, I have to get a PlayStation or Xbox. By the way, even if the Switch gets some third-party games, each time it will be the same: the game doesn't run well, 720p, 30fps or less... Portable, ok, but I don't care I play only at home.
I'm not talking to get ALL the games, we don't care, but something like the Nintendo GameCube is perfectly fine for me. It wasn't a success, but I'm pretty sure that it wouldn't be the same now. I think we can explain this failure by many ways (toy design, no dvd player...), shame that Nintendo just think we have to do something different, we're not good in the frontal competition...
No, it would be the same and it would get crushed by Sony once again. After the N64 and the GameCube, two consoles which were both moderately-to-significantly more powerful than Sony's offerings were beaten into the ground, there's zero reason for Nintendo to even consider competing with power parity.

This industry isn't big enough for 3 similar consoles anyway, as we saw 15 years ago.

bane833

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Switch is pretty cutting edge. I mean, maybe not absolute top of the line but it doesn't cost $999 or more like high end tablets etc just as Pro/X don't have an i7 and GTX 1070 (or 1080 or Titan) to cost $1399 (or $2000). Also, people like having lotsa games to take with them wherever they go with Switch, it's not just about Nintendo. If there was a Vita 2 you'd still see people wanting games put on it just as there were tons of people wanting games on Vita before Switch came around. At least Switch is universally popular and so far games sell relatively well justifying the ports, plus many publishers and devs literally ask people to express demand, and people do so in hopes of getting that supply. Why the confusion?

Sure, but if you want to make a point about completely unrealistic (so far) scenarios such as an extremely successful company (like Nintendo is even during their lows, never mind their absolutely ridiculous highs) giving up a given field that provides tons of revenue for it, don't expect to not be ridiculed, vs the above that is far more sensible and, again, asked for by the publishers and developers themselves more often than not. And why was it okay for Vita but bad for Switch?
All or even most third party games coming to Switch is at least as unrealistic as Nintendo going third party. If you want to play all the third party games, the Switch ist the wrong (main) platform for you.

P-MAC

Nov 15, 2017
Because they prefer Nintendo consoles and wish all the games they wanted were on them and performed well on them. Thinking more into it than that is weird and unnecessary tbh.

Sakujou

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
i dont get it. the wii u was a very nice system with a new approach of asychronous gameplay, but no one got it.

now we have the switch and everyone is on board playing all the third-party-games on the switch. as of right now, i am only buying my nintendo games on my switch. not interested in playing third stuff on my nintendo-systems, as always.

Deleted member 27451

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
You cannot understand why people want AAA games on switch? Really? Not everybody lives in first world country and can afford to buy multiple systems, its that simple.

Garf02

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
i dont get it. the wii u was a very nice system with a new approach of asychronous gameplay, but no one got it.

now we have the switch and everyone is on board playing all the third-party-games on the switch. as of right now, i am only buying my nintendo games on my switch. not interested in playing third stuff on my nintendo-systems, as always.
I think is an engraved disdain for 3rd party games in Nintendo consoles, as whenever a port surfaced, it was likely bugged, missing features, or expensive for no reason next to their counter parts

jbluzb

Jan 7, 2018
hopefully more 3rd party jrpg get ported to the switch is more than enough for me for 3rd party support; yeah western open world would be amazing but the switch is a low power device sadly

jariw

Oct 27, 2017

You don't get the appeal of continue playing games like Skyrim, Stardew Valley, FIFA, and other games portably while on a trip or on a commute or while not having access to the TV?

N00MKRAD

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I think too many people don't realize that the Switch tech is pretty much cutting edge.

Yes, it's far from PS4 or even Xbox One, but the Switch is technically a handheld.

You can't just have the power of a console that pulls 150W in a tiny handheld that pulls <15W.