• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Omar310

Oct 27, 2017
UK

This nicely sums this video up lol
J8mLdMO.png

Last edited:

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
The video actually answers that question early and most of it is about explaining what all these fighting game terms are.

I finally know wtf Maximilian was talking about when he goes on about + or - frame data, and I finally know what a Frame Trap is.

And Oki.

And Mix-up.

Neo_MG90

Apr 23, 2018
Another stellar video from Gerald.

I think this must be a must watch for every fighting game beginner, he explains a lot of terms involved in fighting games.

Oct 26, 2017
Core-A gaming is a great channel. I don't play fighting games but I do watch them so I've found his content really useful.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
Mashing has its place because it's the point of access for people who have no idea what theyre doing. Particularly people who are walking by an arcade machine only going to spend $0.50.

Some games mash better than others. I would attribute a large part of tekken, soul caliber, and marvels popularity is due to those games mashing very well. When someone mashes furiously, interesting things tend to happen.

take on the other hand the worst matching game I could think of. Virtua fighter 2. You can mash and mash and mash and nothing interesting really happens. You might even mash your way right out of the ring.

Oct 25, 2017
Great video. Awhile back I was watching tournaments and trying to figure out what all that crap I kept hearing them say meant and it wasn't that easy to find anything.

Eventually I found what I needed, but nothing explained things as well as this video. And it's all in one place and not spread around different sites/videos. Anybody interested in getting into fighting games, even just on a casual level, should watch this.

The funny thing is, all this stuff is pretty obvious after the fact. But I think a lot of people, myself included, aren't able to really internalize this stuff without actually taking the time to watch it laid out like this.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
There's always that one casual player who actually blocks and punishes, though, and everyone else hates him/her :P

Depends on what your definition of "casual" is. The average player is usually considered casual, and even intermediate players can be casuals. Seems like what you all are talking about are scrubs. And scrubs can "get you" at least one round with scrub tactics, since if you haven't played them before (or seen them play), you probably won't expect them to be that terrible. There's nothing worse than trying setups that fail all of the time, because the person you're playing against doesn't know what they should be doing.

Wake-up dragon punch? Check.
Wake-up ultra? Check.
Mashing throw? Check.

edit: LMAO@Gandhi.

Last edited:

Deleted member 17952

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It doesn't work for 2D fighters such as Street Fighter or Blazblue (all you'll do is whiff air), but in 3D fighters such as Tekken or Soul Calibur, button mashing can let you win against a below average experienced opponent.

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
Yeah most of the concepts are not hard to grasp when laid out clearly like this. And they're especially not unique to fighting games either.

Like Footsies is just the skill of keeping distances, and everyone uses whiff punish not dissimilar to baiting out attacks.

I can see frame data studying to be a huge hurdle for people

Oct 28, 2017
Mashing has its place because it's the point of access for people who have no idea what theyre doing. Particularly people who are walking by an arcade machine only going to spend $0.50.

Some games mash better than others. I would attribute a large part of tekken, soul caliber, and marvels popularity is due to those games mashing very well. When someone mashes furiously, interesting things tend to happen.

take on the other hand the worst matching game I could think of. Virtua fighter 2. You can mash and mash and mash and nothing interesting really happens. You might even mash your way right out of the ring.

There are gradations of 'casual'. If you're just playing against AI, then yeah, fine, whatever. But games like Tekken are relentlessly punishing for beginners because the movement skill floor is so high.

The bigger concern is that most fighters still don't surface the basic mechanics in the video. I've said it before and I'll say it again, meaties (at least in 2D games) are hands-down the biggest issue for newbies, and most of them have no idea what meaties are.

rude

Oct 25, 2017
While we're posting funny videos. This is what I imagine "3rd Strike is the best fighting game of all time" people are like in real life.

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
Man I fucking love this guy's videos. He always wants me to whip out fighting games I haven't played in forever.

Teggy

Oct 25, 2017
While we're posting funny videos. This is what I imagine "3rd Strike is the best fighting game of all time" people are like in real life.

I don't get it.

Anyway, there are a number of reasons I don't play fighting games, but these technical breakdowns are fascinating. Ironically, not having the patience to learn this stuff is one of the big reasons I don't play fighting games.

OP
OP
Omar310

Omar310

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Too many people on here are taking the title too literally. It's just a thinly-veiled excuse to talk fighting game basics.

This is one of the realest comments I've seen on here. Those people are definitely bandwagoners who struggle to cancel low forward into a special, let alone a super. But nah, best SF bro, see my chun.

Oct 26, 2017
South Carolina
Yeah most of the concepts are not hard to grasp when laid out clearly like this. And they're especially not unique to fighting games either.

Like Footsies is just the skill of keeping distances, and everyone uses whiff punish not dissimilar to baiting out attacks.

I can see frame data studying to be a huge hurdle for people

Its the Python Problem again.

lxrzaqK.jpg

There's this smorgasbord of INFORMATION. Long dry lists of facts, data, and figures to get...all at once?

That's what they tell themselves instead of getting a knife and fork and digesting the WHY behind it all.

All I'm saying is be like Marn and just gut instinct it if you can't be ProblemX and live in the lab but know to know.

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
Its the Python Problem again.

lxrzaqK.jpg

There's this smorgasbord of INFORMATION. Long dry lists of facts, data, and figures to get...all at once?

That's what they tell themselves instead of getting a knife and fork and digesting the WHY behind it all.

All I'm saying is be like Marn and just gut instinct it if you can't be ProblemX and live in the lab but know to know.

It's like thinking you need to study all of a gun's bullet drop before you play an FPS. Although I wondering if too many fighting gamers in an attempt to prop up their games is responsible for this.

Personally as someone who is trying to get into fighting games, I find the execution of moves to be a greater hurdle. Specifically, to get good enough to reliably pull them off in a real fight.

SlimX

Nov 11, 2017
Many of us were playing fighting games for 10+ years before frame data started to become publicly available (and you still had to know where to look). Having all the numbers on a web page to look at certainly accelerates the rate you can learn, but it's not essential. You can always learn the same way we did in the arcade: lots of experimentation and practice. Even that method is much easier these days, since you can just test things in training mode. Even that sounds boring? Then just get in there and play matches while concentrating on learning rather than winning.

Don Fluffles

Oct 28, 2017
Core-A gaming is a great channel. I don't play fighting games but I do watch them so I've found his content really useful.
Liked his work until he uploaded a video on salt, trying to compare social justice to stripping out individuality from fighting game characters for balance. Typical neoconservative talking points.

Last edited:

Manbig

Oct 26, 2017
Those of you that are talking about button mashing being fine at a casual level are completely missing the point of the video to the point where I'm wondering if you bothered watching it before commenting in here.

It's a trojan horse video to teach universal fighting game fundamentals.

lucebuce

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Pakistan
Many of us were playing fighting games for 10+ years before frame data started to become publicly available (and you still had to know where to look). Having all the numbers on a web page to look at certainly accelerates the rate you can learn, but it's not essential. You can always learn the same way we did in the arcade: lots of experimentation and practice. Even that method is much easier these days, since you can just test things in training mode. Even that sounds boring? Then just get in there and play matches while concentrating on learning rather than winning.
no thanks, I'll just press buttons randomly. I'm sure something will lead me to victory.

PKrockin

Oct 25, 2017
This is a great video for beginners. These basic concepts also apply to action games that use fighting-gamey mechanics as well (Monster Hunter, Souls, etc.). If you're mashing randomly, you will always get completely destroyed by someone who knows how to block and perform a simple punish.
I keep seeing people say this, but what fighting game mechanics are we talking about that Monster Hunter and Dark Souls have?

Oct 28, 2017

People get too hung up on frame data as some sort of incredibly esoteric mechanic unique to fighters. The only thing that frame data does is allow you to take a shortcut towards understanding what will work and what will not ahead of time rather than having to lab out all of the possibilities.

If you have ever punished an unsafe move in a fighter, you are already utilising frame data - you just haven't realised it.

I keep seeing people say this, but what fighting game mechanics are we talking about that Monster Hunter and Dark Souls have?

I think it's fair to say that those games have whiff punishing, startup/recovery animations, combos and even some rudimentary meaty mechanics in terms of Dark Souls' roll catches.

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
Monster Hunter also have different weapons some with unique mechanics specific to it, not unlike different anime fighting game characters.

Long Sword and Dual Blades have meters, Great Swords and Hammers have charged mechanics, Insect Glaives have buffs etc.