Panther2103

Oct 27, 2017
This has got to be the best one. If you'd be a "very considerate person", you wouldn't smoke, end of story.

Whew this attitude is awful. If they are keeping it to themselves, not going in the path of anyone else, and throw away the garbage, how is that not considerate?

I have neighbors downstairs who blow smoke out their windows all day which makes it so I cannot have windows open ever. That's inconsiderate. Not someone who keeps their habits to themselves.

Oct 27, 2017
It irritates the crap out of me. I can't tell you the number of times I've seen burnt areas off the side of the road that were lit due to people throwing cigarettes out while driving. I'm originally from a farming community, and the farmers hated it. It wasn't uncommon for them to lose part of their crops that way during dry months.

Smokers just don't care though. Almost every smoker I've ever known has been a massive dick anyway.

higemaru

Nov 30, 2017
Era seems to have a particular hate hard-on at a pasttime mostly taken up by developing countries and people who are self medicating so idk what other perspective you want me to have on this.

Most of the complaints leveled at cigs in this thread could also be leveled at alcohol which is more dangerous and lead to far more fatalities, but if I were to go into a thread about alcohol and promote temperance, or better yet, blame alcoholics for drinking, that likely wouldn't go over so hot. Cigarette smokers are people too, so get off your high horse.

Deleted member 17092

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah pretty much all new cars have gotten rid of ash trays which imo was a poor decision. Having a built in lighter is nice too.

Deleted member 2809

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Era seems to have a particular hate hard-on at a pasttime mostly taken up by developing countries and people who are self medicating so idk what other perspective you want me to have on this.

Most of the complaints leveled at cigs in this thread could also be leveled at alcohol which is more dangerous and lead to far more fatalities, but if I were to go into a thread about alcohol and promote temperance, or better yet, blame alcoholics for drinking, that likely wouldn't go over so hot. Cigarette smokers are people too, so get off your high horse.
People who drink and drive get rightfully shat on here
A guy having a beer next to me at a busstop isn't pouring half of his beer down my throat
Tough luck, I live there, and smoking in public areas is getting more and more restricted, and I know a lot of people who complain about smoke, like during the summer when you want to have a drink outside

Arjen

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Era is fucking fascinating when it comes to this topic. Go into practically an other thread about drugs and healthcare and you see people almost unanimously agree that drug addiction should be treated as a medical issue.

Not nicotine addiction though! If you smoke then you obviously don't give a shit about yourself or other people, you're practically evil personified. Clearly the only reason people smoke is to piss off non smokers and not because they have an actual addiction that many people find extremely hard to over come. It's 100% impossible to be addicted to nicotine and still be a decent human being according to Era, unlike every other drug where addiction is rightfully treated as a medical issue.

Yeah it's pretty infuriating to read at times.
I tried quitting a bunch of times, a bunch of different ways, it's fucking hard for me.
I regret i ever started, but i don't think it makes me a horrible person like so many are suggesting in this thread.

Deleted member 1086

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Boise Area, Idaho
I know that most smokers are kind of jerks about it, but some, like myself, do try to be considerate about it. I don't often smoke in public, I won't smoke anywhere where kids are present, and when I am already smoking and a kid comes into the vicinity I try to shield it from them and distance myself as much as possible from them. I don't throw butts out of my car, or off my balcony, or in the street, as already mentioned I use empty Coca Cola cans or Budweiser cans if I'm at home. I know it's so easy to dismiss all smokers as inconsiderate jerks who don't care about themselves or anyone else, but that is not true.

And to reiterate, it's not as easy to not smoke as someone telling us "just don't do it, it's bad for you, you should stop". It doesn't work that way.

Skade

Oct 28, 2017
Era hates cigarette smoking because it's something poor people do to relax when everyone knows they could just do tantric yoga or spend $60 on a new video game.

Yeah it's almost like smokers are under some sort of curse that turn money into smoke and render them unable to buy anything else than cigarettes to relax...

How strange. :p

A Grizzly Bear

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Cups and bottles say hello.
That was their point. It's also a weird thing to bring up car ashtrays as an excuse since manufacturers, for the most part, offer the option of purchasing an ashtray cup that just sits in one of your cupholders.
Because they don't care .

The dipshits in the apartment above me keep dropping their cigarettes off the balcony onto my patio.

It's freaking gross.
I had this issue when I lived in an apartment. I told the landlord if they didn't do something I would be returning them all to their rightful owner. They didn't do anything about it so I started cleaning them up, bagging them and throwing them back up on their balcony. It didn't take long for the butts to stop showing up.

mintzilla

Nov 6, 2017
Canada
The smokers are the real victims . The people whose house burned down because some smoker threw his butt out the window and started a brush fire shouldn't have lived where they live.

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Person who doesn't care about their own health also doesn't happen to care about the environment.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Lack of caring, and the thought that "just a little cigarette isn't going to harm anything... I mean I'm driving a car already, right?" Meanwhile throughout recent history you've had landfills of cigarettes that contribute formaldehyde to the drinking water.

I think anti-littering campaigns have usually tried to focus on a broad audience, so they'd show someone throwing a McDonalds-like cup on the street or something, and now we've all kind of been appropriately shamed to know that's a bad thing to do. But, they probably would have avoided showing smokers throwing cigarettes on the ground because it's more of a niche message... Not only is this litterer a litterer, they're also smokers, so that doesn't apply to me, a non-smoker type of thing. I have seen campaigns about it before, but not nearly the scope of general littering campaigns.

Also I don't think we all have to feel the need to pass ridiculous generalizations on smokers. I'm not a smoker, I personally find it disgusting, but the idea that "smokers don't care about their bodies so they don't care about the environment" is reductive to the point of complete stupidity.

Cokie Bear

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I tried quitting a bunch of times, a bunch of different ways, it's fucking hard for me.
I regret i ever started, but i don't think it makes me a horrible person like so many are suggesting in this thread.

I just really hate the generalisation that smokers don't care about their own health, therefore they don't care about anything. I don't believe for a second that smokers don't care about their own health, and I find it hard to believe that if you asked a random smoker on the street they'd say earnestly that they don't care about their own health. It's like Era somehow forgets what an addiction is the moment smoking is mentioned. People smoke in spite of their health, not because they don't care about it.

Abstrusity

Oct 27, 2017
When I used to smoke, I put them out in the ashtray in the car.

But uh, plenty of cars don't have ashtrays. Generally speaking, putting convenient locations for cigarette butts and trash and importantly, changing it when it's full, makes it easier to keep spaces clean. But if you make it too inconvenient, the shit just gets tossed on the ground.

That's not an excuse, but people are generally shitty, and our world is mostly designed around assuming that they are, and trying to preclude their ability to be so shitty.

Last edited:

TheWraith

Oct 28, 2017
Me reading this thread in a country that doesn't give a shit if you smoke or not:

Elaine-Benes-and-Jerry-Seinfeld-Sitting-on-Couch-Smoking-Cigars.gif
I'm sure that country is full of people that are fed up with 2nd hand smoke everywhere.

Deleted member 1086

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Boise Area, Idaho
That was their point. It's also a weird thing to bring up car ashtrays as an excuse since manufacturers, for the most part, offer the option of purchasing an ashtray cup that just sits in one of your cupholders.
That's not really an option for the vast used car market is it? Yeah sure buying a new car you have that option, but a lot of people can't and don't buy brand new cars.

Arjen

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Person who doesn't care about their own health also doesn't happen to care about the environment.

Jezus, post like this.
Don't you think i'm scared about my health? It's why we try to quit.
And I work in Environmental technology, I'm doing my part in making the Earth a cleaner place.

Oct 27, 2017
Even when I used to smoke I would never smoke in my car. I'd stop at a rest stop if I was driving for a long time and really needed a smoke.

Throwing shit out of cars is a really shitty thing to do.

Clockwork

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Wisconsin
I'm asking because ERA seems to defend a lot of shitty things.

And you not only thought that we would defend not picking up dog shit but also that it would support whatever argument you were trying to make?

Are you for real?

Her response when I've asked was, "I don't like confrontation."

Yeah, better to litter and let someone unknowingly step on or drive over her mushy egg pile. If she doesn't want to ask for no egg the least she could do is put it in the wrapper/bag until she can dispose of it appropriately.

Last edited:

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Cars used to have ashtrays right?

They used to, because having like 99% of cars come with ashtray was a sort of universal approval of smoking as a normal thing to do. "Oh, you're in your car, well, you better have a cigarette then!" It would also not-so-subtly reinforce addiction because people would strongly associate their commute home with having a cigarette, and then when you're trying to quit smoking, it becomes that much harder because now this thing that bothers the hell out of you (commuting) is that much more difficult (commuting AND fighting your addiction).

The solution to this isn't putting ashtrays back in cars. You can already buy ashtrays on amazon specifically for your car that cost about 1/5 the price of a pack of cigarettes.

Is it okay to ask the same about dog owners who literally let their shit stay on a public street?

Nobody defends leaving their dog's shit in a public place. For sure, some assholes do it, but nobody in their right mind defends it. If you think people do, you might have a persecution complex.

But, that said, a dog's poop is really not the same as littering. Don't misconstrue this as a defense of household pets shitting in public, but rather, just a true statement that the earth is nature's toilet.

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
They used to, because having like 99% of cars come with ashtray was a sort of universal approval of smoking as a normal thing to do. "Oh, you're in your car, well, you better have a cigarette then!" It would also not-so-subtly reinforce addiction because people would strongly associate their commute home with having a cigarette, and then when you're trying to quit smoking, it becomes that much harder because now this thing that bothers the hell out of you (commuting) is that much more difficult (commuting AND fighting your addiction).

The solution to this isn't putting ashtrays back in cars. You can already buy ashtrays on amazon specifically for your car that cost about 1/5 the price of a pack of cigarettes.

Damn bro I was just checking

Oct 27, 2017
Columbus, OH

It's really hard to understand how addictive cigarettes are if you've never tried to quit smoking. It took me a good ten tries and some real lifestyle changes and friend reevaluations to kick it. Society treats it like a habit but its not. Every time I have more than a couple drinks I wish the cigarettes that exist in advertisements exist, but they don't. The only thing that feels good (passed that initial nicotine rush which goes away after a couple days smoking) is that you're resetting the timer on a chemical addiction in your brain. You're scratching an itch while creating the next itch.

Anyway butts are small, the smell lingers and is awful to even a seasoned smoker, and if you're already engaging in self-loathing what's a little littering at that point?

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

Nah you'd still get shit for alcoholism, probably even more, actually. You think Era would be cool with someone littering beer cans out the window of their car?

Last edited:

Rookhelm

Oct 27, 2017
smoker bashing aside....it's littering, straight up.

I know that a lot of people litter, but I get the feeling smokers are way more casual about tossing it than the average person with their fast food trash.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Era is fucking fascinating when it comes to this topic. Go into practically an other thread about drugs and healthcare and you see people almost unanimously agree that drug addiction should be treated as a medical issue.

Not nicotine addiction though! If you smoke then you obviously don't give a shit about yourself or other people, you're practically evil personified. Clearly the only reason people smoke is to piss off non smokers and not because they have an actual addiction that many people find extremely hard to over come. It's 100% impossible to be addicted to nicotine and still be a decent human being according to Era, unlike every other drug where addiction is rightfully treated as a medical issue.

Smoking harms others around you.
Smokers are generally very inconsiderate, smoking in the street around other people and dropping their butts (the evidence is in all that trash left on the streets).

The same isn't true for other addictions, so smokers in general are absolutely open to this kind of criticism.

And you can do this WHILE acknowledging the harrowing aspects of addiction itself.