Status
Not open for further replies.

Timelord19

One Winged Slayer
Aug 21, 2018
Mallorca, Spain
I don't follow the scene closely at all, but there have been some minor incidents, like some people going ballistic at streams of Goblin Slayer having content warnings.

I'm still at disbelief that some sectors were defending so hard that the the series needed that first episode. It doesn't, it makes the series worse.

It's like in Overlord, you have a cool concept of the protagonist being the bad guys, but ofc you have to make a character a Loli vampire, a trap and shit like that. I was kinda fine with Albedo tho. I just want to be able to recommend animes without having to say "It's a great anime BUT..."

Nana&Popo

May 6, 2018
I dont really look into youtube backgrounds that much but Pushing Up Roses is pretty rad. She has a lot of videos about old point and click adventure games and stuff like that. Also seems to do a lot of videos on old live action Nicalodian shows.

Kyle Cross

Oct 25, 2017
I just want to point out the absolute dearth of female youtubers and streamers named so far. So in spirit of this thread, I wholly recommend The Sphere Hunter. For fans of the horror genre or Capcom especially, she is a great person to follow.

I'm super iffy of The Sphere Hunter due to a history she had with Anthony Cumia, who is all kinds of a terrible human being. Cumia became targeted by his own alt-right fanbase after details of their relationship leaked, with both him and The Sphere Hunter erasing any evidence they could of their relationship. This was a few years ago and if The Sphere Hunter has addressed this I'd love to read that, it'd be awesome to hear that she sees it as a mistake and wants nothing to do with people like that anymore.

Deleted member 1656

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So-Cal
Just from searching around Era and my own personal experience I have gotten about a dozen names already; but I want this list to be as long as possible, to really drive home the point that positive, guilt-free alternatives for content-watching exist in large number. Please feel free to quote this post with the names of any "squeaky clean" creators you enjoy or are aware of. Thanks :)
Call me cynical and/or paranoid but I think that phrasing and what you're doing could be a mistake, even when it's in quotes. I feel the intention to recommend alternatives is good, but I don't believe anyone should be put on a pedestal like you seem to imply. I operate under the assumption that anyone could turn out to be a scumbag at any moment, especially on the internet. It's nice to think better of and feel as comfortable as you can be in these parasocial relationships with Youtubers we're in, but the truth is you never know. Look at all the quibbles people have with different creators just here. I guess to be warier and expect less purity is what I'm trying to suggest in short.

Anyway, check out supergreatfriend and the Rising Superstream. And I second the Void Burger, Chip Cheezum, Matt McMuscles recommendations. And of course slowbeef. I'd recommend Mega64 too but I might expect quibbles from some about them since while they typically punch up, they famously seek reactions and to offend in their content.

ASaiyan

Oct 25, 2017
Call me cynical and/or paranoid but I think that phrasing and what you're doing could be a mistake, even when it's in quotes. I feel the intention to recommend alternatives is good, but I don't believe anyone should be put on a pedestal like you seem to imply. I operate under the assumption that anyone could turn out to be a scumbag at any moment, especially on the internet. It's nice to think better of and feel as comfortable as you can be in these parasocial relationships with Youtubers we're in, but the truth is you never know. Look at all the quibbles people have with different creators just here. I guess to be warier and expect less purity is what I'm trying to suggest in short.
No, your concern is definitely valid. I don't mean to hold anyone up as "perfect"; merely to highlight people who are "publicly pretty blameless, so far as I know, at this particular moment in time". I intend to make that distinction very clear in the thread. It is, I think, a positive and pro-social thing to try and "assume the best in others"; however, internet entertainers are not your friends. And even if they were, they are still other people, with their own unknowable motivations; at bottom, you cannot 'truly know' anyone 100% besides yourself.

Deleted member 1656

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So-Cal
No, your concern is definitely valid. I don't mean to hold anyone up as "perfect"; merely to highlight people who are "publicly pretty blameless, so far as I know, at this particular moment in time". I intend to make that distinction very clear in the thread. It is, I think, a positive and pro-social thing to try and "assume the best in others"; however, internet entertainers are not your friends. And even if they were, they are still other people, with their own unknowable motivations; at bottom, you cannot 'truly know' anyone 100% besides yourself.
Hey, sounds good then dude.

Skittles

Oct 25, 2017
for twitch streamers, you can pick anyone in Criken's group and be good. He also has a youtube channel.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm super iffy of The Sphere Hunter due to a history she had with Anthony Cumia, who is all kinds of a terrible human being. Cumia became targeted by his own alt-right fanbase after details of their relationship leaked, with both him and The Sphere Hunter erasing any evidence they could of their relationship. This was a few years ago and if The Sphere Hunter has addressed this I'd love to read that, it'd be awesome to hear that she sees it as a mistake and wants nothing to do with people like that anymore.
To be frank, this is an unreasonable request. Content creators don't owe you the intimate details of their relationships.

Last edited:

medinaria

Oct 30, 2017

one of my personal favorites - I started watching for her nier/drakengard lore videos (which are probably the best on the internet imo) but now I'll just watch anything she does. her videos are always either informative or amusing, they're always very well done, and her voice is really calming. (she has a bit of an accent that she seems to think makes her unintelligible, but... she's not)

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
one of my personal favorites - I started watching for her nier/drakengard lore videos (which are probably the best on the internet imo) but now I'll just watch anything she does. her videos are always either informative or amusing, they're always very well done, and her voice is really calming. (she has a bit of an accent that she seems to think makes her unintelligible, but... she's not)
Yeah all of her content is top-notch

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think I remember max doing anything casually transphobic on his stream? Like I don't watch him all the time, but I never saw him having an issue with that. He also legit just tweeted out in support of transgender rights and stuff.

He also recently upon learning the origin of a bad meme that he was using as a icon for his stream, removed said image. So he's willing to listen and understands with more eyes on him you have a right to be more responsible.

He does randomly calls thinks Dank whores so, depending on how you feel about loud burtss of profanity , your mileage may vary
Okay, this might explain why he's gotten rid of DoodLoen emote. Max for the most part doesn't really seem that phobic of most things. He's also not really racist considering two of his closest stream friends are black and JaeJae is Asian (granted yes I know the alt-right fetishizes Asian people). Though based on what I remember from his story about how they met they love each other, they even play Monster Hunter together and she helped him get over his fear of dogs so I think that's a legit relationship. I think he can be a bit dumb at times, but Max seems mostly harmless regarding social issues. Edit: Dived into that thread to see what was going on and someone really needs to educate Max about his T word usage. I'd like to hope to think he's intelligent enough to learn from that.

Last edited:

Etrian Oddity

Oct 26, 2017
I am pleasantly surprised that STARS Jill Valentine is almost twice as popular as RE3 tubetop tacky Jill in that thread's poll. Reading the actual thread made it seem like it'd be lopsided for the fanservice.

Personally I prefer RE5 Jill, with both the BSAA Ops outfit and the brainwashed jumpsuit.

Oct 25, 2017
I am pleasantly surprised that STARS Jill Valentine is almost twice as popular as RE3 tubetop tacky Jill in that thread's poll. Reading the actual thread made it seem like it'd be lopsided for the fanservice.

Personally I prefer RE5 Jill, with both the BSAA Ops outfit and the brainwashed jumpsuit.
I hate jump suit Jill. These are the best Jill's:
latest

jill-valentine+%281%29.jpg

Village

Oct 25, 2017
I like RE5 hat jill.

Revelations Jumpsuit Jill is pretty cool too, i'm just fond of that type of jumpsuit. Its why I like some of snakes outfits so much.

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
One of the funniest things about Jill's RE3 costume is that there's an alternate one that turns the tube top into a tank top and that by itself makes it like 70% more believable (although the sweater + skirt + boots are still present, so it's still kind of stupid and impractical)

(but even then that outfit would be, like, believable on anyone who isn't Jill Valentine, an elite member of a special forces unit who had literally fought zombies a month earlier and knew the zombie apocalypse was coming any day now)

Zero-ELEC

"This guy are sick" says The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
México
I've been informed that this is the de facto "progressive people on gaming side" OT. I don't really have the time to read through 125 pages right now, so I just want to say in general, thank you for being who you are and doing what you do :)

I have a request, because I am in the midst of co-writing a thread on problematic YouTubers and Twitch streamers. I want to make a list of creators who make fun and entertaining content about video games, but do not also support the alt right, refuse to stream with women, deadname trans people, or like bullshit. Just from searching around Era and my own personal experience I have gotten about a dozen names already; but I want this list to be as long as possible, to really drive home the point that positive, guilt-free alternatives for content-watching exist in large number. Please feel free to quote this post with the names of any "squeaky clean" creators you enjoy or are aware of. Thanks :)
I'd recommend VoidBurger (streams, let's plays) and Bob Vids (streams, lps, scripted content), and their Silent Hill channel, the Grate Debate.

Chip and Ironicus, consisting of Chip Cheezum (LPs, streams, dev @ Volition) and General Ironicus (LPs, podcasts) are also really fun and unproblematic.

Tie Tuesday (streams), Smight and the Arcade Pit crew (LP, Races, Game Show, streams) are relatively popular streamers who are wholesome af. Slowbeef (Father of LPs, streams) does streams and is pretty chill. I could come up with a longer list but this is off the top of my head.

I hate jump suit Jill. These are the best Jill's:
latest
BSAA Jill (not wetsuit) is honestly her best look.

Oct 25, 2017
I like RE5 hat jill.

Revelations Jumpsuit Jill is pretty cool too, i'm just fond of that type of jumpsuit. Its why I like some of snakes outfits so much.
I don't mind Revelations Jill minus what they did to her face. Whenever I hear jump suit Jill I just think of blonde RE5 chest exposed Jill...gross.
BSAA Jill (not wetsuit) is honestly her best look.
Jill is fabulous when they don't try to fan service her up.
iNTqKza.jpg

rip jill's ending costume that actually looks vaguely like something a cop would wear
That's very close to what Aya Brea wears I think.

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why are we derailing this with "Youtubers purity test: the thread"? I find icky this list some of you are curating but it is within your right, I just think that should be moved to its own thread, though.

ASaiyan

Oct 25, 2017
Why are we derailing this with "Youtubers purity test: the thread"? I find icky this list some of you are curating but it is within your right, I just think that should be moved to its own thread, though.
I thought it would be a relevant query to pose here, given the stated purpose of this thread in providing a space for discussion of aspects and elements of the industry that are or aren't positive for women and other groups. I didn't mean to derail or sideline any more direct and important conversations on these topics though.

At any rate, thanks so much to everyone who has contributed names so far! Especially Lord of Ostia for that specific list of female creators; the one I had was definitely a lot more male-skewed beforehand, so I'm happy to shift away from that :)

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I thought it would be a relevant query to pose here, given the stated purpose of this thread in providing a space for discussion of aspects and elements of the industry that are or aren't positive for women and other groups. I didn't mean to derail or sideline any more direct and important conversations on these topics though.

At any rate, thanks so much to everyone who has contributed names so far! Especially Lord of Ostia for that specific list of female creators; the one I had was definitely a lot more male-skewed beforehand, so I'm happy to shift away from that :)
Didn't you also wanted to make a list of game developers who you found problematic in order to shame them (your words, not mine) after the Catherine fiasco (which admittedly was indeed a fiasco)? You do like your lists.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
And I don't owe a content creator a view who considers literal human filth like Cumia good company. I suggest you go look up Anthony Cumia.
There is no point in demanding answers from or berating women who have dated scumbags in the past about why they dated said scumbags. The fact that she's removed all of that part of her life from her digital presence is enough to know that it's probably a source of regret for her, possibly a source of pain or trauma. By all means, avoid her content if you wish, but you aren't owed the intimate details of a stranger's personal life.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
There is no point in demanding answers from or berating women who have dated scumbags in the past about why they dated said scumbags. The fact that she's removed all of that part of her life from her digital presence is enough to know that it's probably a source of regret for her, possibly a source of pain or trauma. By all means, avoid her content if you wish, but you aren't owed the intimate details of a stranger's personal life.
This

Kyle Cross

Oct 25, 2017
You're absolutely right here. I was being inconsiderate and in my quest of avoiding problematic Youtubers it clearly gave me some serious tunnel-vision.

I'm deeply sorry to everyone.

Biestmann

Oct 25, 2017
You're absolutely right here. I was being inconsiderate and in my quest of avoiding problematic Youtubers it clearly gave me some serious tunnel-vision.

I don't think you had any ill intent, and at the core your concerns ring valid to me. As far as I can tell, there is nothing that points to any relation of her to the guy right now, and her content is spot free. Give her another chance.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

No hard feelings, but this is why 'guilt by association' is a dangerous road to go down. Always helps to remember that internet personalities are people too, and everyone has sources of regret in their life. You don't owe anyone views, but they don't owe you anything either.

No problem, though I would caution against this kind of 'purity test' attitude towards content creators, especially if it involves past behavior that no longer reflects the current person or their content.

Kyle Cross

Oct 25, 2017
Didn't you also wanted to make a list of game developers who you found problematic in order to shame them (your words, not mine) after the Catherine fiasco (which admittedly was indeed a fiasco)? You do like your lists.
The thread about Youtubers is my idea, so don't blame ASaiyan for it. I reached out to him because I am a horrible writer. In fact, under me it was just going to be a simple list thread cause, again, I'm a terrible writer and that's all I could think of. But under ASaiyan it became so much more. It isn't a list thread, but an actual discussion talking about problematic content creators while detailing the actions of some. The thread isn't meant to be a toxic one, which is why ASaiyan is collecting Youtubers here, to give people alternatives.

I ask that you read the thread once it goes up before casting judgement on it. ASaiyan did a great piece of work.

esserius

Oct 26, 2017
Am a big fan of Might and Magic: Clash of Heroes, but I'm also of two minds about the character designs. Some people I know think it's fine, others have problems with them, others are like me and are somewhere in the middle.

Mostly, it's designs like Anwen's that give me pause:

51305.png

But there are also designs like Fiona's, which I'm a big fan of:

51361.png

I like the game and the characters themselves and that contributes a lot to how I feel about the designs.

Still, I find games like these to be more interesting than the ones that are laughably objectifying. This game feels like it's somewhere in-between and the designs are sometimes alright and sometimes problematic.

ASaiyan

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know if I ever talked about just drawing up a "list" of problematic developers. I don't think that would be helpful or useful. However, I do think there are important conversations to have (and that indeed, have already been had) about the specific public actions of some specific creators - like Hashino, Vavra, the Last Night guy, and others.

The thread we are currently working on is a discussion and examination of problematic behaviors of content creators, and what should be done in our community to counteract them. Obviously, any such discussion requires specific examples, which logically needs must have been committed by a specific actor. However, it is not intended as some kind dismissive "name and shame" list of individuals, and we are even making an effort to reach out directly to the channels exemplified within it for comment on their specific incidents, as indeed, anything can be recanted and apologized for at any time. I am not a Christian, but a Bible quote that I live by is, "Hate the sin; love the sinner." I believe that each and every human being on this earth is, at bottom, a good person. People are people, and they are capable of all kinds of things, refuting some sort of Manichean classification into "good" and "evil". "Good people" can come out one morning with an objectionable utterance or act; "bad people" can issue a heartfelt and summary apology for their actions, and begin down the long road to changing their ways. For this reason, I am endlessly forgiving of a person, whom I will give every chance to make things right; and endlessly unforgiving of a negative behavior, which I will call out and condemn full-throatedly at every opportunity. After all, if we don't do that, how will the offending person even come to understand that what they have done is wrong, and that they need to change?

I must admit, however, that from your posting I am now much more cognizant of inadvertently "crowding out" other discussion here that, in my opinion, is definitely more important. So I would kind of prefer to "get out of the way" now, haha. But I want to thank you and everyone else here for providing input and engaging in this discussion with me :). I certainly didn't expect it go on for multiple pages!
No problem, though I would caution against this kind of 'purity test' attitude towards content creators, especially if it involves past behavior that no longer reflects the current person or their content.
I appreciate this feedback. I have at various times been told I was being "too lenient" in specific situations, and "too harsh" in others. It's a constant balancing act that I always seem to get a little bit wrong and need some adjustment on :P. It is important to me that the thread only comes across as providing examples of bad behavior, and examples of individuals who generally engage in positive behavior, rather than any definitive "bright lines" or "gatekeeping" behavior. But, reading these kinds of constructive critiques before even posting the thread, I'm definitely gonna go back over it and adjust anything that may not fully live up to this mission. So I definitely appreciate the help :)

Last edited:

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
gotta give props to the unlikeliest game, one that I'm quite into atm (it's not very good btw, this isnt a REVIEWS WERE WRONG thing), Agents of Mayhem.

It's roster is super diverse both in gender and race.

latest

From left to right: Asian dude, white dude, indian lady, black dude, white lady, black dude, latina lady, white dude, white lady, iranian lady, black lady, white dude. And a part from Daisy's short shorts, the ladies arent particularly sexed up either imo. Neat.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
gotta give props to the unlikeliest game, one that I'm quite into atm (it's not very good btw, this isnt a REVIEWS WERE WRONG thing), Agents of Mayhem.

latest

From left to right: Asian dude, white dude, indian lady, black dude, white lady, black dude, latina lady, white dude, white lady, iranian lady, black lady, white dude. And a part from Daisy's short shorts, the ladies arent particularly sexed up either imo. Neat.
The Saints Row games in are also pretty great at this. They're super dumb, but it's a smart kind of dumb.

Gilver

Banned
Nov 14, 2018
Costa Rica

latest

Kudos to the diversity but man is the art style of that game so unappealing reminds me of fortnite or some mobile game.

CatDoggo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I love the Etrian Odyssey series and I'm in the process of getting back into it, but holy crap could I do without all of the heavily sexualized young girls that crops up way too often in this series. I only give it a pass because there's usually enough options that you can avoid using those portraits and there are enough male portraits that are androgynous enough that you can consider them female if you want. I mean, I at least have to give the series a few points for the fifth gaming having the only instance I can think of of an elderly woman being a party member option in a JRPG. I wish they had more adult women to chose from instead of most of them looking like young or teenaged girls, but it seems like 5 at least gives you a few options for adult women.

The only problem is the NPCs, depending on the game. Because you can't avoid the sexualized young girls so easily then. It seems in most cases they're supposed to be considered adult women, but they sure as shit don't look like it half the time.

ThatPersonGuy

Dec 30, 2018
Tbh I feel like a list of "unproblematic creators" is sort of... pointless? It basically translates to "content creators with a low enough level of publicity that every aspect of their life isn't being scrubbed over" or "creators without any serious drama" or "creators who don't have a problematic fanbase". It'd seemingly be way easier to make a list of A. diverse content creators on games content, and/or B., creators who make content on the intersection with social issues and games. It'd feel way more tangible than "this guy seems pretty nice and he only has 2k subscribers so idk he's probably a Good Guy", and conveniently sidesteps the already visibly ugly nature of Leftist Purity Tests TM.

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
I just want to point out the absolute dearth of female youtubers and streamers named so far. So in spirit of this thread, I wholly recommend The Sphere Hunter. For fans of the horror genre or Capcom especially, she is a great person to follow.

First let me back your recommendation. A while back someone here recommended her RE3's video and it was simply lovely. She clearly enjoys herself doing the video and you can feel the passion she feels for the game (and Jill).

I'm a defender of her outfit in RE3. The director of the game himself talked about how they wanted her to be more sexy, so there is not discussion about why she wears what she wears, but at the same time I don't think it's tasteless or pure fan service. It's something I see girls and women waring on the street everyday (not exactly the same, but close), the problem comes only when we examine the context of the game. And then we can talk about the shortcomings of that choice.

One very cool aspect of this costume though is how different it is compared to RE1. In the sense that in RE1 we were playing with "cop Jill", while in RE3 it's "civilian Jill". I find it appealing to play someone as tough and capable as Jill while she looks like an ordinary woman. Of course, you don't need such a revealing outfit to achieve that result, and that's why I wouldn't mind if they change her costume in R3make (I fully believe they will), but I hope they keep that feeling.

iNTqKza.jpg

rip jill's ending costume that actually looks vaguely like something a cop would wear

That's something I would expect a cop to wear while working, but on her free time? Wouldn't you say she could wear whatever? Forgetting for a moment she was in the middle of a zombie outbreak that is.

Etrian Oddity

Oct 26, 2017
I hate jump suit Jill.
To be fair, I like crow's head Jill more. But jumpsuit Jill gets credit for Sad But True (her fight music). RE5 had a super-underrated soundtrack....

I'm a defender of her outfit in RE3. The director of the game himself talked about how they wanted her to be more sexy, so there is not discussion about why she wears what she wears, but at the same time I don't think it's tasteless or pure fan service. It's something I see girls and women waring on the street everyday (not exactly the same, but close), the problem comes only when we examine the context of the game. And then we can talk about the shortcomings of that choice.

One very cool aspect of this costume though is how different it is compared to RE1. In the sense that in RE1 we were playing with "cop Jill", while in RE3 it's "civilian Jill". I find it appealing to play someone as tough and capable as Jill while she looks like an ordinary woman. Of course, you don't need such a revealing outfit to achieve that result, and that's why I wouldn't mind if they change her costume in R3make (I fully believe they will), but I hope they keep that feeling.

That's something I would expect a cop to wear while working, but on her free time? Wouldn't you say she could wear whatever? Forgetting for a moment she was in the middle of a zombie outbreak that is.
I suppose you're right. I also have to add in that I'm biased, cuz I'm personally not crazy about the tubetop's fashion aesthetic, and I make no logical argument for such sentiment. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
To be fair, I like crow's head Jill more. But jumpsuit Jill gets credit for Sad But True (her fight music). RE5 had a super-underrated soundtrack....

I suppose you're right. I also have to add in that I'm biased, cuz I'm personally not crazy about the tubetop's fashion aesthetic, and I make no logical argument for such sentiment. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

You mentioned 'Sad but True' and noted RE5's underrated soundtrack. Feel free to disagree with me how much you want ! I won't mind.

Etrian Oddity

Oct 26, 2017
You mentioned 'Sad but True' and noted RE5's underrated soundtrack. Feel free to disagree with me how much you want ! I won't mind.
RE5 was a big drop-off as a successor to RE4; but I argue to this day that it was an incredibly fun game in its own right. I spent so many hours playing co-op, Mercenaries mode, and trophy-hunting.

That OST was nuts, too. Sad But True and Winds of Madness are top tier in all of Resident Evil music.

sabrina

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
newport beach, CA
Kudos to the diversity but man is the art style of that game so unappealing reminds me of fortnite or some mobile game.
Yeah, it's going for a very corny 80's GI Joe style in pretty much every aspect, or at least as close to that as they could get with the Saints Row engine. I find it adorkable but I totally get why it's off-putting to most.

latest

What's so great about it to me is that most of the characters are pretty well fleshed out. You get a good sense of what type of person not just from the wiki information you can find out about them, but from they way each one is introduced in their opening missions, how any of them will interact with Persephone and the other agents, various things they have to say about the world as you go around, and also from the highly unique character animations and move set each person has. A lot of love went into all of the characters, because these are the characters Volition wanted to make, not just felt like they had to. And besides maybe Oni, Hollywood and Kingpin, they're not very common archetypes either.

Syril

Oct 26, 2017
RE5 was a big drop-off as a successor to RE4; but I argue to this day that it was an incredibly fun game in its own right. I spent so many hours playing co-op, Mercenaries mode, and trophy-hunting.

That OST was nuts, too. Sad But True and Winds of Madness are top tier in all of Resident Evil music.
I still maintain that RE5 is one of the best co-op games ever made.

Hypron

Oct 27, 2017
NZ
I found that the Japanese section of my uni library had some manga so I decided to start reading one. I picked Bakuman, read the first chapter and it seemed fun enough. Then I read the second one and what the hell this is horribly sexist.

My Japanese is not good, so as I was reading through a monologue (from one of the two main characters no less) explaining that the most important quality of a girl before getting married is to look cute, and therefore the girl that gets average grades but looks cute is much smarter than the girl that is top of the class and doesn't look cute, I was thinking 'no this can't be right, I must be misunderstanding'. Then later a character states that 'men have dreams that women will never be able to understand', in easy-to-understand language so I was like what kind of bullshit is that? These statements also go completely unchallenged, as if that's just how things are.

When I got back home I googled the series just to make sure I hadn't misunderstood everything... I found this article that pretty much confirms I understood things correctly, and put the issue into words better than I can.

I'm (sadly) kinda used to seeing lowkey misogyny in manga and anime... But misogyny this overt though? F'ing yikes.

Last edited:

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, Bakuman is probably the manga that taught me never to listen to manga fans again or at least to do a lot more research before jumping into one too blindly, no matter how much praise it gets. It sounded kind of interesting. A manga that gives a bit of insight into how at least that part of the manga industry works, but not only is the misogyny/sexism reaaally bad, but it also romanticizes a pretty shitty/unhealthy work culture that just makes me roll my eyes. I read through it but only because I was too dumb and bought the Complete Box Set of the manga.

Status
Not open for further replies.