Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
for what it's worth, chinatsu kurahana, the character designer for fire emblem three houses, is a woman, and presumably some of the Incredibly Dumb design elements are at the behest of the game's director, who knows the fire emblem brand is mad horny now
Shame, because Echoes was quite an upgrade compared to Fates and Heroes. Still not perfect, but better than those two and 3 Houses.

SchrodingerC

Oct 25, 2017
I just want to say how amazing Sheeva looks in MK11. I can't wait for her to become playable asuming the DLC datamine turns out to be accurate.

2019.04.20-01.26-boundingintocomics-5cbb1e092e7cb.jpg

That is an U P G R A D E

Really happy with how NetherRealm Studios have been treating their female kast.

Oct 27, 2017
*when you've had a teacher fetish your whole life and finally get to design characters
tumblr_inline_pmw36eVznq1so29dq_540.png
People say "anime" isn't an aesthetic or genre, but there are definitely some unique design trends in anime, manga, and adjacent media. You can take this design and plop it into anime, fantasy, Sci fi, space opera, modern day, whatever and it "fits" just as well/awkwardly in any of those settings. It doesn't make much sense anywhere, so it kinda fits in everywhere.

ShadowSwordmaster

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
People say "anime" isn't an aesthetic or genre, but there are definitely some unique design trends in anime, manga, and adjacent media. You can take the design and plop it into anime, fantasy, Sci fi, space opera, modern day, whatever and it "fits" just as well/awkwardly in any of those settings. It doesn't make much sense anywhere, so it kinda fits in everywhere.
This is a good way to describe it.

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
The navel is where the umbilical cord was attached. As such, exposing it symbolises her willingness to impart the vital lifeblood that is knowledge to her students, who she considers her children.

/s

this is honestly pretty similar to a non-sarcastic post someone made to defend pyra's design in xenoblade 2 (the same person noted they couldn't figure out what was going on with Rex's design, even though Rex, a Diver, is literally wearing an Old Timey Diving Suit and a Wet Suit)

Kinanza

Jun 25, 2018
On the topic of Kasumi and her outfit

I'm not sure what you have your minds on but the leotard is not supposed to be sexualized, at all. There's tons of characters who wear one, Raven for example. It's meant to look like gymnast attire. Also be thankful that the design could have actually been worse?

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I'm not sure what you have your minds on but the leotard is not supposed to be sexualized, at all. There's tons of characters who wear one, Raven for example. It's meant to look like gymnast attire. Also be thankful that the design could have actually been worse?

And how does "gymnast" fit in with the rest of the gang's "classy thief motives"?

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017

I'm not sure what you have your minds on but the leotard is not supposed to be sexualized, at all. There's tons of characters who wear one. It's meant to look like gymnast attire. Also be thankful that the design could have actually been worse?

probs has something to do with the persona franchise's long and storied history of sexualizing teenage girls, and in the case of persona 4 and persona 5 royal, explicitly sexualizing the youngest party member the most

also it would probs be less sketchy if the character weren't also wearing high heeled thigh highs

Kinanza

Jun 25, 2018
I'm sorry what?? Just look at the design...

royal1_c1_img2_e3b3733557b1d6a686f3b6e92c45dfea.png

bbc32ded7259388e_1200xH.jpg
I really don't see what's wrong? I've seen Wonder Woman, She-Hulk, Cammy, Zatanna, and even Fortune from MGS2 has a strikingly similar design. Leotards aren't that hard to come by.

Is it...because she's underaged? Because yea, it looks weird.....but then again, there's Raven from Teen Titans.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I really don't see what's wrong? I've seen Wonder Woman, She-Hulk, Cammy, Zatanna, and even Fortune from MGS2 has a strikingly similar design. Leotards aren't that hard to come by.

Is it...because she's underaged? Because yea, it looks weird.....but then again, there's Raven from Teen Titans.
For me it's the camera angle on the second pic.

Locuza

Mar 6, 2018
In regards to Persona 5 I tried to make a quick mock up with the character art and 3D model:

p5-kazumi-18uk9t.jpg

p5-kazumi-2aukfq.jpg

With pants she's dressed too much in black for my liking so making her shoes red was a fitting change in my eyes which goes well with her red hair and red gloves, moreover in her school uniform she wears red shoes:
z_5cc041d28cf70.jpg

But by design she looks like a female MC version and Makoto is also dressed in all dark.
A redesign, additional elements or a stronger recolor would be necessary to make her appearance less similar to the others.

Oct 27, 2017

My biggest issue with this is the fact they took Joker's outfit then ripped off the pants and gave her high heels ballet shoes (which is just stupid). All that because she is a girl.

Why is it that they must sexualize her outfit just because she is a girl (and under age to boot)?

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017

Those are ALL extremely sexualized designs. Is your point, "other people do it so it's fine here?"

That's why shit has never changed.

Jonathan Lanza

"I've made a Gigantic mistake"
Feb 8, 2019

Comic book design trends aimed towards children and basement dwellers from the 20th century isn't exactly the best standard for good women designs.

Deleted member 49438

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 7, 2018
Idk. If you give Kasumi pants then she's too much like Joker or Makoto in aesthetic. If you emphasize the red theming too much then there's overlap with Ann. If she is legitimately a gymnast or ballet dancer as is somewhat implied by some of the dancing scenes we saw in the trailer, then it fits.

Now all of that might be an excuse for the devs to show more skin (like they designed the character's look first & then built her character around it perhaps?), but if it turns out she's a dancer then that leotard is pretty par for the course (experience: dated a dancer who did a lot of work making her own leotards).

I can understand people's concerns though of course, because well... Atlus...

Aurelia Borel

Oct 30, 2017
Keep in mind that we're talking about an outfit she wears in the Metaverse, a place that is created by people's minds. She could wear literally anything there, so saying that it's okay because she's a gymnast is really a Thermian argument.

Splader

Feb 12, 2018
The new Sheeva design actually looks good, it's amazing how characters look better once the "horny for male" elements are zapped

I can't quite understand the sentiment these people have. Meaning those that want every female character possible to be sexualized officially. Like there's no shortage of that art literally everywhere else. It doesn't need to be in "canon" as well.

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018
Keep in mind that we're talking about an outfit she wears in the Metaverse, a place that is created by people's minds. She could wear literally anything there, so saying that it's okay because she's a gymnast is really a Thermian argument.

Interesting such a large proportion of the primary female characters in Persona 5 are sexualized. Thankfully this means that they're simply exploring and grappling with their newly-discovered sexuality and not an obvious signifier that the directors at Atlus have reductive and misogynistic attitudes towards women!

Like, could you imagine if the director of the game thought that men and women were fundamentally incapable of platonic interaction?

Kinanza

Jun 25, 2018
I'm going to jump to conclusion and say that it's sexualized because it was designed by someone at Atlus, I guess? I know Era doesn't have a good history with them.

Kinanza

Jun 25, 2018
Atleast you admitted it
The fact that I still stand by my point and went on to guess that it's simply a reason why the design is hated means nothing.

When you can't or don;t want to respond to any points just accuse people of being biased against the devs. Nice.
What points? I just showed an irl image of a girl in leotard in response to "other people do it so it's fine". Are you saying having real people wear leotards is ok but having fictional characters in leotards isn't?

I'm getting banned from this aren't I

Mods, any of you reading this, I'm giving you permission to do so. It's been fun. To be fair, you all brought up good points and I was just sitting there like a dumbass trying to normalize the situation.

Last edited:

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The fact that I still stand by my point and went on to guess that it's simply a reason why the design is hated means nothing.

What points? I just showed an irl image of a girl in leotard in response to "other people do it so it's fine". Are you saying having real people wear leotards is ok but having fictional characters in leotards isn't?

Context? The exasperation over watching women characters always in outfit the show skin no matter what even though almost all of the thieves are in full-body multi-layered costumes? Yes, a gymnast doing gymnastics is wearing a leotard. That doesn't prove anything on why people are annoyed by it.

Edit: Well, it seems like the troll is trying to take the "high ground" now. *yawn*

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Such as the post I made earlier where I specified a big problem I had was not the design on it's own (Granted I'm admittedly not a fan of it), but rather the way it's presented in game like that screenshot and the other poster that mentioned their dislike of it due to how it's so similar to Joker but with bits of clothing removed.

Silky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Georgia
What's worse is that you need to be sounded off before you get your eventual ban

Like when I get banned I'm not gonna say SHIT. and I know who's gonna pull the trigger. this is all pre-mediated and I'm not scared of a goddamn thing. I wish you could say the same about yourself

Kinanza

Jun 25, 2018
What's worse is that you need to be sounded off before you get your eventual ban

Like when I get banned I'm not gonna say SHIT. and I know who's gonna pull the trigger. this is all pre-mediated and I'm not scared of a goddamn thing. I wish you could say the same about yourself
In all honestly, I rather have it coming than just straight up out of the blue.

Sometimes it really does feel like this.
giphy.gif
Yea, that was me. Fuck myself

Status
Not open for further replies.