• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

FallenGrace

Oct 27, 2017
Speaking of 'dumbest things in Tales', I'm struggling to get through Tales of Vesperia at the moment. It's taken me months as it's just not really grabbing me and I usually find something else to do.

Depending on who is fighting and where in the game you are (I'm about 15 hours in), you get different victory quotes. I just had this one from Estelle (the demure princess healer type) about Judith (the fanservice, scantily-clad elf type). Because obviously having two women fighting in the party requires a post-combat chest comparison.

Estelle: They're...bouncing...
Judith: What are you looking at?
Estelle: I wish I could bounce...

(video isn't mine but for illustration:)

Holy crap. Yes cause the most important thing after a battle for your lives is jiggle envy.

Honestly I've played multiple Tales games and bounced off a lot of them, I bought Vesperia on sale not long ago as a friend said it was the best in the series and that is not really encouraging. The only one I've ever finished actually was Xillia and that's mostly because I loved Judes martial arts combat, even then it had some weird stuff with the young girl character and her talking doll going on about breasts as bazongas all the time..

Rhaya

Oct 25, 2017
I fail to see why Chihiro in Danganronpa is considered trans phobic though ?

The entire point of him pretending to be a girl is a direct result of him being the subject of harassment and bullying due to him having a frail Physique .
This constant bullying lead to him developing an inferiority complex .
In order to escape said bullying, he began to dress as a girl to act as a shield so that people wouldn't bully him as a "weak boy" .

problem is this only served to worsen his complex, as it was not addressing the root of his problems, and if by that point the truth came out he would very likely be bullied even harder .

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil

The entire point of him pretending to be a girl is a direct result of him being the subject of harassment and bullying due to him having a frail Physique .
In order to escape said bullying, he began to dress as a girl to act as a shield so that people wouldn't bully him as a "weak boy" .

problem is this only served to worsen his complex, as it was not addressing the root of his problems, and if by that point the truth came out he would very likely be bullied even harder .

Besides all the problems with the spoiler part, the result (and part of the spoilers) is basically a transphobic dream of what a trans person is.

spiritfox

Oct 26, 2017
Dorothy from Va-11Hall-a is kind of in a weird spot. On one hand, she's a rare example of a sex-positive sex worker that owns her sexuality and her job. On the other hand, she's has a child-like body and often acts like one. I'm not exactly sure how to think of her.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Holy crap. Yes cause the most important thing after a battle for your lives is jiggle envy.

Honestly I've played multiple Tales games and bounced off a lot of them, I bought Vesperia on sale not long ago as a friend said it was the best in the series and that is not really encouraging. The only one I've ever finished actually was Xillia and that's mostly because I loved Judes martial arts combat, even then it had some weird stuff with the young girl character and her talking doll going on about breasts as bazongas all the time..
Yeah, I've had a mixed history with Tales in that I've only been able to finish one out of the other three I've played (Hearts, Abyss, Symphonia). I picked up this one after reading a lot about Yuri being this great JRPG protagonist, and sure, I like him a lot more than most JRPG leads. It's just a shame about the rest of the cliches that I've seen dozens of times elsewhere. Fire mage has a fiery personality? Healer is a teenage royal that has never left the city and is both a walking saint and so naive about everything it hurts? Kids that act like kids one minute then adults with twenty years of experience in melee combat the next? Fanservice character that has every other conversation revolve around her outfit? Thirty-something guy is referred to and refers to himself constantly as 'old man'? Evil empire abusing magic, lifegiving world tree with connection to raging monsters, I'm kinda going through the motions here.

Biestmann

Oct 25, 2017

The problem with Japanese media is that there is always some underlying issue that has these people dress up as the opposite sex, that if addressed, would have them return to their actual self. This instance is no different. But that's not what being trans is. Trans people simply feel they should be or are of the opposite sex.

ShadowSwordmaster

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Dorothy from Va-11Hall-a is kind of in a weird spot. On one hand, she's a rare example of a sex-positive sex worker that owns her sexuality and her job. On the other hand, she's has a child-like body and often acts like one. I'm not exactly sure how to think of her.
It seems like the creator wanted to make a child-like character that wants to have sex.

Deleted member 55311

User requested account closure
Banned
Mar 26, 2019
Speaking of 'dumbest things in Tales', I'm struggling to get through Tales of Vesperia at the moment. It's taken me months as it's just not really grabbing me and I usually find something else to do.

Depending on who is fighting and where in the game you are (I'm about 15 hours in), you get different victory quotes. I just had this one from Estelle (the demure princess healer type) about Judith (the fanservice, scantily-clad elf type). Because obviously having two women fighting in the party requires a post-combat chest comparison.

Estelle: They're...bouncing...
Judith: What are you looking at?
Estelle: I wish I could bounce...

(video isn't mine but for illustration:)

And this is why they do it. Because not only do they get game sales/merch sales from people that do like that stuff and people that don't care either way... They also get sales from people that have a problem with it. I was ready to buy that game for the Switch until I looked into it more and figured out that it had typical Japanese fanservice nonsense. After I saw that I cancelled my Amazon order. There is no reason why they shouldn't add that stuff if their sales won't ever take a hit.

Deleted member 55311

Banned
Mar 26, 2019
The problem with Japanese media is that there is always some underlying issue that has these people dress up as the opposite sex, that if addressed, would have them return to their actual self. This instance is no different. But that's not what being trans is. Trans people simply feel they should be or are of the opposite sex.

Freaking thank you. People really need to stop being fooled by the fake representation in a lot of their media. Anime, games, etc and such might have a lot of trans characters but they are almost always portrayed negatively. Same with little people.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
And this is why they do it. Because not only do they get game sales/merch sales from people that do like that stuff and people that don't care either way... They also get sales from people that have a problem with it. I was ready to buy that game for the Switch until I looked into it more and figured out that it had typical Japanese fanservice nonsense. After I saw that I cancelled my Amazon order. There is no reason why they shouldn't add that stuff if their sales won't ever take a hit.
Sure. That stuff front and centre in the marketing (and the subsequent discussions) was definitely what stopped me buying Xenoblade 2. Unfortunately it then went on to sell more than the previous ones, so I'm guessing the buying power of the fans of that stuff is very strong.

TakeshiZero

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 23, 2019
Oh, yeah... My fiance is trans and she told me about how confused she was at that chapter. It's a character archetype that only exists in anime and manga, from what I've seen. This is generally how the conversation goes.

"Is Ai-chan trans girl?"
"No. Ai-chan dresses and acts like a girl but is a boy."
"But they're always dressed and acting like a girl."
"Yes."
"They use feminine language in the Japanese script."
"Yes."
"They obviously prefer to be treated as a girl."
"Yes."
"Someone who was assigned male at birth but uses a girl's name, lives, presents, and wants to be treated like a girl 24/7, generally identifies as that gender. Do you know what I'm saying here?"
"Yes. But Ai-chan identifies as a boy."
"😕"
That's not exactly the case with Chihiro.
He was a commentary on a rather recent trend in Japan called Otoko no ko.
In general, it's used to refer to male crossdressers, but the term originally was used to refer to men who dressed as women to be treated like women are.
In Japan, the gender expectations and norms are a lot more rigid than in a lot of Western countries. It goes beyond just "you gotta act tough if you're a guy". For example, it's seen as girlish to eat cake, and some cafes literally will not sell you cake if you're a guy. Which becomes a typical trope where a guy takes his girlfriend out to a cafe and have her order the cake while he eats it.
Chihiro is a pretty clear case of Otoko no ko, because he chose to dress and present as a girl not because he thought he was a girl in a boy's body, but because he felt like he couldn't live up to a boy's standards.
Might this be seen as transphobic? Yeah, but it wasn't the writer intention.

EDIT: I hope this doesn't come as transphobic. I was just trying to explain Kodaka's POV.

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2017
Tweet with link to an article with an interview of the creator of Japanese game One Night, Hot Springs (you can get it for free here). Deals with LGBT+ representation in Japan.
https://twitter.com/the_owl_site/status/1126201281331306497

Also has this discussion that should be posted at the top of every thread on resetera dealing with social issues, especially regarding Japan:

With last year's game, The Missing, there was a lot of western commentary that was along the lines of "it's great to see something so thoughtful and sensitive about LGBT+ issues from a dev in Japan, which struggles with those issues," as though we don't have the same issues.

Oh that's…. not a great way of framing it.

It's a very very common framing here. There's multiple variations on the same thing from different outlets, on top of the way it gets casually deployed in conversation.

I mean, I can list very many media in English that aren't great about LGBT+ rep and very many issues my LGBT+ friends living in North America and Europe have. (Japan also has much less homophobic/transphobic violence.)

There's very little acknowledgement of the difference in problems and positive aspects.

I think it's just a very different set of problems. There are also a lot of very good Japanese media with LGBT+ rep. It's just that sometimes these aren't translated.

What I'd like to ask is for your perspective on how LGBT+ people feel about representation in Japanese media, in its various forms, whether positive or negative?

To be honest, I am a very bad person to ask as I don't own a television and that immediately removes me from a lot of representation – mostly I get to see secondhand when people post about stuff online. That immediately only shows me the stuff that people are either really loving, or really angry about.

On one hand, you do have stuff like yuriten, which is amazing – just an exhibit of fantastic yuri manga with many female authors. On the other hand, you get politicians like Sugita Mio saying in magazines that LGBT+ people shouldn't be accepted because they don't produce children. She also complained about the MeToo movement, saying that now women could just yell sexual harassment and men would be blamed even if it's a lie.

She talks a lot on twitter. It's not great.

Jeez that's frustrating.

But I mean, that's just it – we get great LGBT+ rep in some media and we get awful in some others, and we get people fighting for equal rights (like gay marriage) while we also get politicians saying women are causing witch hunts with MeToo.

But that's just how things are in, say, America, aren't they?

You wouldn't have to change a word.

I think it's… unfair isn't the right word, but online, the rhetoric is often very dominated by American citizens. People from the U.S. dictate whether something is 'good rep' or something is 'bad rep,' if something is 'problematic' or not.

There's a tendency here to buy into the idea that we lead the way on everything, even by progressive leaning people.

Exactly, and that ignores a lot of cultural background of the media being made in other places.

I'll be honest – when I first played Catherine (1) i was actually just so happy that Erica (the trans woman) was in the game. I had never played a game with a trans woman in it before. That was amazing for me.

Yeah, Catherine is completely awful with how they treat Erica. It's definitely problematic. But having her in that game was a huge influence on me.

Yeah, I would say it's not a remotely outlandish experience to have, people have, and deserve to have, personal relationships with media that isn't necessarily "good". It's just a reality of the world we live in.

I think it's really important to understand the context in which media and LGBT+rep is created, and sometimes it's very hard to do so when the internet almost always frames things in an American/western point of view.

Oct 27, 2017
That's not exactly the case with Chihiro.
He was a commentary on a rather recent trend in Japan called Otoko no ko.
In general, it's used to refer to male crossdressers, but the term originally was used to refer to men who dressed as women to be treated like women are.
In Japan, the gender expectations and norms are a lot more rigid than in a lot of Western countries. It goes beyond just "you gotta act tough if you're a guy". For example, it's seen as girlish to eat cake, and some cafes literally will not sell you cake if you're a guy. Which becomes a typical trope where a guy takes his girlfriend out to a cafe and have her order the cake while he eats it.
Chihiro is a pretty clear case of Otoko no ko, because he chose to dress and present as a girl not because he thought he was a girl in a boy's body, but because he felt like he couldn't live up to a boy's standards.
Might this be seen as transphobic? Yeah, but it wasn't the writer intention.

EDIT: I hope this doesn't come as transphobic. I was just trying to explain Kodaka's POV.
Interesting! I'll run it by my fiance to see what she thinks if the topic ever comes up. I'm aware of otokonoko, but I've never really thought of them as something outside of modeling and drag shows (and doujin, of course.)

Tweet with link to an article with an interview of the creator of Japanese game One Night, Hot Springs (you can get it for free here). Deals with LGBT+ representation in Japan.
https://twitter.com/the_owl_site/status/1126201281331306497

Also has this discussion that should be posted at the top of every thread on resetera dealing with social issues, especially regarding Japan:
I'm validated! 🎉

Griffith

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
tumblr_n1s2pjSXYN1s755fuo1_r1_500.png

I looked at one of Tera Online's high tier female armors and... I think I bingo'ed the entire card.

Maledict

Oct 25, 2017
The only thing that can be said in Tera's defense is that the male characters have equally objectifying armour. One of the rare games with hot guys in skimpy armour.

spiritfox

Oct 26, 2017
I was going off the description in that post.

I might not have painted the best picture there. Design wise Dorothy is not sexualized, and when she's talking normally she's a mature woman that talks about sex openly. Also she's an android which makes it a little easier to accept. Maybe I'm just more leniant because it's so fucking rare to even acknowledge sex work in media that I'll accept even a pretty reasonable depiction of it.

esserius

Oct 26, 2017
I might not have painted the best picture there. Design wise Dorothy is not sexualized, and when she's talking normally she's a mature woman that talks about sex openly. Also she's an android which makes it a little easier to accept. Maybe I'm just more leniant because it's so fucking rare to even acknowledge sex work in media that I'll accept even a pretty reasonable depiction of it.
Dorothy's definitely an interesting and dystopian depiction of sex work, though I think it's done with more than a tinge of irony given that it's not uncommon to see sex workers in the real world receive far worse. In many ways most of the characters in VA-11 Hall-A are call outs, allegory to modern day issues that are themselves simply repeated in a cyberpunk bar with the trappings of a reality that is only slightly removed from our own. Much more Ghost in the Shell than Fifth Element. The fact that there is a muted horror underlies the problems with the present state of sex work, and the general state of how women are treated more broadly. But VA-11 Hall-A also presents how people are treated as entirely disposable and their bodies become part of that same disposable system, exemplified by crunch and newly vetted hyper-connected media, where stress and fatigue are the fault of the worker and not the system enabling and encouraging it.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Not sure if super transphobic or very progressive

considering it is japan/society we live in/this game, I will go with the first option

QisTopTier

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Not sure if super transphobic or very progressive

considering it is japan/this game, I will go with the first option
Cagliostro: By the way... Do you ever feel like you want to be something else?

Ladiva: Well, this is coming out of nowhere.

Cagliostro: I can change a lot with my alchemy, you know—like a child into an adult. Or the masculine into the feminine.

Cagliostro: If you want, I could theoretically make that happen for you too.

Cagliostro: But it's just supposition. You don't have to—

Ladiva: Hehe. That sounds great. But I have to refuse.

Ladiva: Because my parents gave me this body. It's my treasure.

Ladiva gives Cagliostro a smile, who returns the expression without realizing it.

Cagliostro: Hehe... Hahaha! I get it! So that's the kind of person you are!

Ladiva: Oh my, I think this is my first time seeing you laugh in such a carefree manner.

Cagliostro: Haha. I guess. You've got me all confused. Not that I mind that much.

Their laughter echoes throughout the room.

Alike and yet unlike, unlike and yet alike, the pair forge a bond of friendship sure to last till the end of time.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
that didn't helped AT ALL with my doubt xD

actually it did because of the beard, but who am I kidding I can smell this shit from a mile away =P

QisTopTier

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
that didn't helped AT ALL with my doubt xD
Cagliostro is an old man who got transferred into a young girls body over time Cagliostro disassociates with their old identity more and more and accepts themselves as a girl to the degree they hate when masculine terms are used for them as that's no longer who she is. This is the opposite of what you think it is.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Cagliostro is an old man who got transferred into a young girls body over time they disassociate with their old identy more and more and accepts themselves as a girl to the degree they hate when masculine terms are used for them as that's no longer who she is. This is the opposite of what you think it is.

This is sounding EXACTLY what I think it is. Maybe a little worst

Biestmann

Oct 25, 2017
Ah, yes, the not at all transphobic hyper masculine trans trope so common in Japanese media.

Cagliostro is an old man who got transferred into a young girls body over time Cagliostro disassociates with their old identity more and more and accepts themselves as a girl to the degree they hate when masculine terms are used for them as that's no longer who she is. This is the opposite of what you think it is.

'You are what your body is' is not a transphobic idea to you?

QisTopTier

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Ah, yes, the not at all transphobic hyper masculine trans trope so common in Japanese media.

'You are what your body is' is not a transphobic idea to you?
It's showing two different approaches to it. The message literally is don't let your body dictate who you are and identify as. Not you are what your body is.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
It's showing two different approaches to it. The message literally is don't let your body dictate who you are and identify as. Not you are what your body is.

by using a 80 yeard old dragon and the transphobic idea of a trans woman?

If that is the idea they are pretty bad at it and are showing that you should not change what you were given while saying dysphoria does not exist.

Nana&Popo

May 6, 2018

This isn't entirely accurate. The lore background for Cagliostro is that she was a sickly boy in the past and developed alchemy to try and cure her sickness. She does this by making a new body from scratch and then transferring her consciousness over to it. She basically made her ideal body.

Ladiva on the other hand? Yeah, not a fan.

QisTopTier

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
by using a 80 yeard old dragon and the transphobic idea of a trans woman?

If that is the idea they are pretty bad at it and are showing that you should not change what you were given while saying dysphoria does not exist.
They don't say this either, that's just Lav's view on it, where Cagliostro is happier after the change.

"Alike and yet unlike, unlike and yet alike, the pair forge a bond of friendship sure to last till the end of time."

Is the closing line of that event

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
They don't say this either, that's just Lav's view on it, where Cagliostro is happier after the change.

"Alike and yet unlike, unlike and yet alike, the pair forge a bond of friendship sure to last till the end of time."

Is the closing line of that event

You literally said that a person with power to change a person's body "got transferred into a young girl's body" and choose not to change back. They are both happy and without dysphoria in a body they should not be by your own words.

Not only that but Ladiva did everything she could to maker her body even more manly.

But Nana&Popo's version is just a common transphobe trope of "if a man says he is a 5 year old girl" version. Which is super creepy

Nana&Popo

May 6, 2018
As a trans women myself I dont find cagliostro to be very transphobic. However, the fact that she chooses to still be a little girl after all this time is very creepy. It makes since that she choose that body when she first came up with the method as she was just a kid then too, but after all this time? No, now you're just courting lolicon crowd and that's not a good look at all.

However, I do kind of see where you're coming from.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
But transphobic ideas aside, it is fun that Ladiva's design follows the "women character design tropes" we so much discuss here

Nov 28, 2017
Sweden
To be honest I've only ever played Steins Gate due to everyone's recommendation here and I hated it but not so much for creepy issues but for the art, terrible writing and dull story.

Any you would recommend someone skeptical to try?
Butterfly Soup (comedy about gay teens and baseball)
We Know the Devil (horror-ish (not very scary but great atmo) teens at Christian summer camp dealing with the devil/queerness)
Air Pressure ("romance"
self-harm
. It's been a while since I played this one but I remember really liking it.)

All western.

Last edited:
So I didn't realize Cagliostro was transgender till this post (and thinking back on how many trans people I follow who love her it makes a lot more sense).
To a degree I see it similar to Tanya from The Saga of Tanya the Evil where their new body was female. In case of Cagliostro it was little more of their choice. Granblue, while leaning to progressive, has problematic elements remembering one side story where the villain was abusive to her female underling yet the underling still took it cause they were that much in love with them.

Also here my husband, Percival.

Foot

Mar 10, 2019
Thinking about the Final Fantasy VII remake, and how they've intentionally left Tifa for a later reveal. I really hope they've changed her outfit! It's a dumb, DUMB ensemble for anyone to wear! I know people would be expecting to see it though, so include it when she's tending bar (where it sort of makes sense), and then have her change into something more appropriate when she heads off for adventure.

Deleted member 49179

Banned
Oct 30, 2018
Thinking about the Final Fantasy VII remake, and how they've intentionally left Tifa for a later reveal. I really hope they've changed her outfit! It's a dumb, DUMB ensemble for anyone to wear! I know people would be expecting to see it though, so include it when she's tending bar (where it sort of makes sense), and then have her change into something more appropriate when she heads off for adventure.

Her "traditional" outfit didn't aged well, especially with modern high resolution graphics. Something like her Kingdom Hearts outfit would be better though:

latest

Dragmire

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I've been hearing about Tifa since Dissisia NT. And all I see now is what I've seen since the beginning: people always concerned about how she'll look. And by concern I mean "If the SJW ruin her boobs then I'm not buying the game." So it will be awful no matter what happens.

And Tifa at one point was going to have pants. From the wiki:
Initially Nomura struggled to decide whether to give Tifa a mini-skirt or long pants. Seeking input, he passed his sketches around Square's offices, and the majority of the staff approved of the mini-skirt design. The attire was explained in respect to the game as giving her freedom of movement due to her affinity to weaponless fighting, and the skirt, noted as "quite short [...] giving a considerable degree of exposure", was kept as a staple for her alternate costumes. The developers noted that due to her figure, her otherwise plain garments took on a pleasant appearance.

Status
Not open for further replies.