Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 8257

Oct 26, 2017
Heaven's Vault doesn't take place on Earth, and Aliya isn't Muslim. (Earth religions aren't in the game.) Although the game is amazing and the cast is very much not white.

Now I want to play it again.
Yes I saw that, but the inferences are pretty overt. Aliya is a typical Muslim girl's name. She wears Hijab. Still a pretty big deal if you ask me.

HockeyBird

Oct 27, 2017
White guys that have fantastical views of Asian women would be disappointed to learn that most Asian women think they are creeps and losers just like the western women do.

KujoJosuke

Oct 25, 2017
I hate that image even more because lately I've been watching content from the vtuber on the right (Inugami Korone) and she's pretty funny. Her playthroughs of Doom 64 and DOOM 2016 are really fun because she gets into them so much. She loves killing demons and using big guns.

I'm sure most of their fans are creepy as shit, tho

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017

What a disturbing and insensitive idea for a game considering how much shit female streamers get.
The core concept of just a choose your adventure game with a streamer has potential, but not like that. It would be better to go the super natural route like unfriended. Like they slowly get paranormal stuff in their house through out the game and mod/chat has to try to help them somehow, but could mess things up.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017
I did not expect the Era thread on that Nintendo Waifu game to go down like it is. Jiminy, some people are dense. And some people are coming into the thread to purposefully stir shit up.

Dary

Oct 27, 2017
The English Wilderness
One thing I notice browsing the ol' eShop is that, for every otaku-bait game, there's just as many adventure/puzzle/hidden object games focused around female protagonists. They have much better art than your average waifu trash, too! And yet no one ever talks about them.

I find it interesting, I guess, because it goes to show how skewed the discourse around video games is.

KujoJosuke

Oct 25, 2017
I did not expect the Era thread on that Nintendo Waifu game to go down like it is. Jiminy, some people are dense. And some people are coming into the thread to purposefully stir shit up.

I like the guy who is like "why do i have to play morality police?"

Like, the ultimate white lib/centrist take. "It doesn't affect me at all so it's not really a problem"

Nimby

Oct 27, 2017
Horrible name. Horrible premise. Who the fuck makes shit like this and why does it get the backing of a major studio in the industry?

AllChan7

Tries to be a positive role model
Apr 30, 2019
I have a question. And I really hope this doesnt come off as bad or insensitive, but are there any sexy female characters that any of you would deem acceptable or appropriate?

4Tran

Nov 4, 2017
I have a question. And I really hope this doesnt come off as bad or insensitive, but are there any sexy female characters that any of you would deem acceptable or appropriate?
Sure, lots. Aloy is sexy, Ellie is sexy, and your avatar is pretty sexy. Sexy is not the same thing as "only purpose is to titillate"; it's about all sorts of things from appearance to attitude to personality traits. The problem with most of the offenders brought up in this thread are the characters who are primarily designed to titillate. There really isn't much other reason for the way they're designed, and it detracts from their characterization.

DragonKeeper

Nov 14, 2017
I have a question. And I really hope this doesn't come off as bad or insensitive, but are there any sexy female characters that any of you would deem acceptable or appropriate?

Often it has less to do with what a female character looks like than whether or not their appearance is appropriate for the setting they are in and their occupation. Too often the who, what, when, where, why aspects of a female character are tertiary to "does she look fuckable". Sexy characters are fine, but if you have a cast of soldiers and all of the men are wearing military fatigues and the woman is wearing camo fishnets, there is something wrong.

Deleted member 18021

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

The long and short of it is that there is a time and place for sexy, and it's usually not when the video game is taking place.

That's not to say you should stick to realism at all costs, but at least make an attempt at designing the character for the context they're in.

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
One thing I notice browsing the ol' eShop is that, for every otaku-bait game, there's just as many adventure/puzzle/hidden object games focused around female protagonists. They have much better art than your average waifu trash, too! And yet no one ever talks about them.

I find it interesting, I guess, because it goes to show how skewed the discourse around video games is.
I think there's a certain casual audience that eats those games up but I haven't personally met anyone who does. Those are the games you used to (or maybe still) find sold in CD-ROM jewel cases at Wal-Mart. They're pretty comm on on Steam too. I guess it makes sense they'd get released on Switch too, assuming they're played by young girls or whatever.

AllChan7

Apr 30, 2019
Sure, lots. Aloy is sexy, Ellie is sexy, and your avatar is pretty sexy. Sexy is not the same thing as "only purpose is to titillate"; it's about all sorts of things from appearance to attitude to personality traits. The problem with most of the offenders brought up in this thread are the characters who are primarily designed to titillate. There really isn't much other reason for the way they're designed, and it detracts from their characterization.

Definitely agree that what one considers sexy is subjective ofc. I think designs that make sense in context aren't as bad as ones that are just there to get men drooling. As everyone has pointed out, bikini armor never makes any sense lol

And yea, I love Abby and Ellie. Dina as well. Hell even Chloe and Nadine are sexy imo but ND in general has done a good job with female characters.

Lausebub

Nov 4, 2017

What a disturbing and insensitive idea for a game considering how much shit female streamers get.

The game looks creepy as fuck. According to the developer it was co written by the actress and she improvised all the dialog and the game should make people aware of toxicity and the impact there online comments have on other people, but I can't see much of that in the trailer.

Statement from the developer

pizzabutt

Apr 28, 2020
Just started Ghost of Tsushima.
Yuna is the first lady you meet and one that gives Jin a heads up on his samurai ways isn't working with fighting the Mongols.
I love Lady Masako and Yuna, they both look so good. I think Lady Masako is my favorite character so far in Ghost of Tsushima.
Kait Diaz in Gears 5 is brown Latina(at least I think so, and plenty of others do). And she doesn't resort to an accent or stereotypes.
She's also voiced by white actress who isn't Latina (Laura Bailey). Also speaking of Ghost of Tsushima, I'm glad all the voice actors in the english dub are asian. White people doing accented english would've been such a bad mistake.

FallenGrace

Oct 27, 2017
The characters I find most sexy are generally fully clothed anyway.

Elena from Uncharted
Aloy from Horizon
Jill from Resident Evil 3 Remake

But then I like their personalities as well as art design which make a big difference to me personally. Even without that there are plenty that are still sexy and stylish visually without being objectifying or demeaning.

Problem is there are far too many the other direction....

Lacrimosis

Dec 13, 2019
She's also voiced by white actress who isn't Latina (Laura Bailey). Also speaking of Ghost of Tsushima, I'm glad all the voice actors in the english dub are asian. White people doing accented english would've been such a bad mistake.

Well according to Imdb its not all. Some minor npcs are voice acted by non asians. Which is fair I guess, the overwhelming majority seem to be.

AllChan7

Apr 30, 2019
The characters I find most sexy are generally fully clothed anyway.

Elena from Uncharted
Aloy from Horizon
Jill from Resident Evil 3 Remake

But then I like their personalities as well as art design which make a big difference to me personally. Even without that there are plenty that are still sexy and stylish visually without being objectifying or demeaning.

Problem is there are far too many the other direction....

Same. Sadie and Abigail from RDR2 are both very attractive women without being eye candy. Its ironic too considering how GTA treats women unfortunately.

OP
OP
Persephone

Persephone

Oct 25, 2017
Question: when this thread (inevitably, I think) reaches OT3 ,would people be down for a rebranding into general feminist discussion of video games, intersecting with LGBT rep etc? I see a lot of that here and I don't want people to feel constrained by the thread title because we've long moved past that (and of course sexualised designs would fall under the "feminist discussion" umbrella).

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
There definitely are, some of the ones people already said. I think reboot Lara croft is one, especially in SotTR, even though I didn't really like the game.

rras1994

Nov 4, 2017
Question: when this thread (inevitably, I think) reaches OT3 ,would people be down for a rebranding into general feminist discussion of video games, intersecting with LGBT rep etc? I see a lot of that here and I don't want people to feel constrained by the thread title because we've long moved past that (and of course sexualised designs would fall under the "feminist discussion" umbrella).
I think that's a good idea, especially as there's not really anywhere else in the gaming section to discuss such things without creating a thread for whatever specific concern there is and those kind of threads tend to go to bad places fast and can be exhausting. I'd be happy for making this place a more obvious safe space for that discussion as it's has been for the regular posters who would be more comfortable using it outside sexualised design discussion.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
That's probably a good idea, it opens up the discussion to beyond just showing awful sexist character designs. Stuff like lgbt elements in tlou2 can be talked about, just as an example.

Lacrimosis

Dec 13, 2019
Yea, that very well might be the case. There were a couple of super minor NPCs that just sounded... American.

Well most of them are americans. You take up the accent you grow up with.

Your inkling could still be right. Just saying that there are gemans with asian roots or black skined german that have bavarian or saxon accents and you wouldnt have any clue.

Btw. sorry for being a bit off topic.

FallenGrace

Oct 27, 2017
Makes sense as a lot of conversation here covers those aspects already.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
something on my mind a lot lately, its kinda bothering me so let me put it out there:

how do you guys (and by guys I mean everyone) handle the internal split between thinking something is sexist and shouldn't be in X thing (let's say shouldn't be in a game since this is about videogame characters after all), but still at the end of the day liking said thing?

I mean, if you honestly hate every sexist content, as in you genuinely hate every one of those character designs (as one should? I'll leave that to each individual), more power to you, honestly, you are probably a better person than I am. But unfortunately in my case, I have to be honest and say that I don't always hate them. Sometimes I quite like them, whilst still thinking they are ridiculous or problematic (or straight up trash) and for the betterment of the game, they shouldn't be in there. Does that make sense?

Case in point, Street Fighter 5 and it's women characters. I fully acknowledge how utterly sexist most of the designs are, hell, even the costumes that aren't sexist or misogynist, just by SF5's nature of making all the ladies models "thicc", they end being sexual. Now, do I think the game would be better in general if these didn't exist? Absolutely. I will never go "I like this thus it should stay in the game". But can I honestly say that I don't like a lot of them? Like I said before, unfortunately no, and that's kinda bumming me out lately.

A good example is Kolin's halloween costume. Its a simple "sexy goth witch" cliche, not unlike Overwatch's Mercy Halloween costume:

so if you ask me: is this design trash? I will tell you "absolutely". Would I "defend" it? Fuck no lol. But if you also ask me "but do you like it?" I have to say yes, it ticks all my boxes :(
SFV in general is a mixed bag when it comes it its women. On one hand, I appreciate how it makes its ladies actually muscular. But on the other hand, there should be more body type diversity & the sexualization needs to be toned down. Hopefully with a woman now being the head of Capcom's fighting game division (Yuasa) instead of Ono, these changes can happen. Then again, Female Byleth was designed by a woman, &........yeah.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
oqhi09em6kb51.jpg

crienne

Oct 25, 2017
Based on anime and those style games that make bank, I guess a lot.

Yep, definitely a lot. The most confusing part is these people display the statues proudly in their home. It's just wild to me that they think it's perfectly acceptable as grown adults (assuming they are anyway since those statues can be expensive af).

Status
Not open for further replies.