• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Biestmann

Oct 25, 2017
I appreciate the ban of FoxofGrey. He barged in here dismissing concerns of sexualization, imputing double standards where there are none, and now finally shifting a thread created so women can make their concerns heard, into one outlining why men - to his great dismay - are unjustly prosecuted for acts of sexual violence. It is inexcusable.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
Why even barge into this thread with this routine? Ban after ban, I do not fucking get it.

Someone has to defend the patriarchy

::Shrug::

Lastly, regarding your comment about the #metoo movement. Any sort of movement will have critics analyzing it, so why is that a bad thing? Not every single movement has to be 100% free from criticism. And this isn't limited to left-leaning/civil rights movement, this goes for any societal movement that has happened ever. And if you actually read the criticism of the movement, you'll find that it does bring up some good points. What if there are some claims that are false? Would someone like Terry Cruise be the only man to tell his experience about sexual assault? These sort of points do have credence to them. Even with the case for Dr. Ford, many of her claims don't seem to line up with what others that were involved with her case have also claimed. One case being where people attending the party, on the night of the incident, reporting that what she told about that night was not accurate. Another being her giving different stories with her therapist's notes, compared to what she's saying now. And, again, logically, why would she report the incident now when Kavanaugh is becoming a judge in the Supreme Court? Why not when she was talking with her therapist?

Real talk, this is gross, and if you can say this with a straight face, there's something wrong with you.

This entire paragraph is "Maybe rape victims SHOULDN'T be listened to, because what if they lie? People's lives could be R U I N E D."

That's terrible dude. That mindset is why so many athletes in small towns get away with rape scott free. This sort of mindset is why Larry Nassar went unchallenged for so long. You need to take a long look at the women in your lives.

RpgN

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Apologies if my observation might sound stupid. I've noticed this perspective often where (young) men are protected so that their lives/careers wouldn't be ruined. I've seen this often in American media. This also seems to be a pattern with some of the news reports that come out. It makes me wonder...is this sentiment especially prevalent in America? Why do careers matter more than victims' lives?

It was a new and bizarre perspective to me for a while. In Europe, it is downplayed a lot and the women are blamed as usual. The focus is not on the lives or careers of the attacker though. At least based on what I have experienced.

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Apologies if my observation might sound stupid. I've noticed this perspective often where (young) men are protected so that their lives/careers wouldn't be ruined. I've seen this often in American media. This also seems to be a pattern with some of the news reports that come out. It makes me wonder...is this sentiment especially prevalent in America? Why do careers matter more than victims' lives?

It was a new and bizarre perspective to me for a while. In Europe, it is downplayed a lot and the women are blamed as usual. The focus is not on the lives or careers of the attacker though. At least based on what I have experienced.

No clue, what's especially devious is the fact that the victim's lives are never a factor. Like the fact that Dr. Ford has had to move multiple times thanks to harassment by the very same people screaming to consider the rapist's life.

Reven Wolf

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
No clue, what's especially devious is the fact that the victim's lives are never a factor. Like the fact that Dr. Ford has had to move multiple times thanks to harassment by the very same people screaming to consider the rapist's life.
That's what really gets me. Because when someone steps up to say what's happened to them, there invariably is some mob that tries to brand them as liars and try to ruin their lives.

And yet some people act like only the accused are affected.

CatDoggo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You know, since .Hack came up, I want to talk about Pi. This is what she looks like.

I like .Hack and I even like Pi personality wise, but of course she's that usual anime trope where she's sexed up for no reason and it doesn't particularly factor into her character. But, whatever, I could have bought the whole 'she WANTS to look this way' thing giving that this is her avatar in an online game, buuuut then you find something out that makes her design especially creepy. Long story short, before her brother died, he made this character for her and she considers it a memento. Yeeeaaah. If this was a video game character my brother left for me to play as, I'd shove it into the character editor so fast. LOL

Ironically enough, in the Roots anime, when she's roll playing a different character, that's pretty much the only time she acts sexual at all, although she does that by pretty much sexually assaulting Haseo and of course because its girl on guy there suddenly ain't anything wrong with that. Even in that anime though, once she drops that character for Pi, she becomes all business just like the games and that over-sexualized design has no bearing on how she acts in any way. It's fanservice for the sake of fanservice and its more of a detriment to her character than anything else. She even gets over the top jiggle physics for pre-rendered cutscenes that always hits at the worst moments and even turns one scene that's supposed to be dramatic into something that's almost comedic.

Even the novelization dropped all pretenses and just straight up described her as a 'fetishistic teacher', despite that STILL not factoring into her character at all.

Oh, and of course this is one of the unlockable pictures for her in the games that you are able to use as a wallpaper....

1510593834690.jpg

Syril

Oct 26, 2017
You know, since .Hack came up, I want to talk about Pi. This is what she looks like.

I like .Hack and I even like Pi personality wise, but of course she's that usual anime trope where she's sexed up for no reason and it doesn't particularly factor into her character. But, whatever, I could have bought the whole 'she WANTS to look this way' thing giving that this is her avatar in an online game, buuuut then you find something out that makes her design especially creepy. Long story short, before her brother died, he made this character for her and she considers it a memento. Yeeeaaah. If this was a video game character my brother left for me to play as, I'd shove it into the character editor so fast. LOL

Ironically enough, in the Roots anime, when she's roll playing a different character, that's pretty much the only time she acts sexual at all, although she does that by pretty much sexually assaulting Haseo and of course because its girl on guy there suddenly ain't anything wrong with that. Even in that anime though, once she drops that character for Pi, she becomes all business just like the games and that over-sexualized design has no bearing on how she acts in any way. It's fanservice for the sake of fanservice and its more of a detriment to her character than anything else. She even gets over the top jiggle physics for pre-rendered cutscenes that always hits at the worst moments and even turns one scene that's supposed to be dramatic into something that's almost comedic.

Even the novelization dropped all pretenses and just straight up described her as a 'fetishistic teacher', despite that STILL not factoring into her character at all.

Oh, and of course this is one of the unlockable pictures for her in the games that you are able to use as a wallpaper....

1510593834690.jpg
Those GU games were really... something.

Choppasmith

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Beaumont, CA
^Man, not even sure how those undies of her work. I guess it's a like a tiny g-string but it looks like it's just a strap that doesn't actually cover her crotch.

And, again, logically, why would she report the incident now when Kavanaugh is becoming a judge in the Supreme Court? Why not when she was talking with her therapist?

Spoken like someone who's never dealt with assault before. Nothing more frustrating for me to see than "Why didn't she report it right away? Something's fishy there!"

Scrooge McDuck

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

What are some examples of cases in Europe where high profile people got their careers ruined do to committing sexual assault? I am honestly ignorant on this.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
What are some examples of cases in Europe where high profile people got their careers ruined do to committing sexual assault? I am honestly ignorant on this.

Luc Besson's career is currently under the guillotine, though that's more a case of pedophilia rather than sexual assault. And keep in mind, the only thing that killed Milo's career was defending pedophilia.

esserius

Oct 26, 2017
Card Captor is the only anime I've seen them doing lately. I seriously wish xxxHolic would come back though. Love that show.

And yeah, the second season of Magic Knight Rayearth is crazy dark. It twists the entire world and really strongly presents the conundrum of, "what is one life worth?"

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's often mentioned in this thread how female characters are depicted as blushing and embarrassed by their own costumes etc, but apparently the curry item in Smash Bros is being used to create this effect with predictably awful results from the otaku:

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20..._obsessing_over_curry-induced_female_blushing

To be fair, the expression can lead to funny images...unfortunately I'm seeing too many "accidentally exposing" images rather than actually funny images.

Syril

Oct 26, 2017
Okay, the curry faces compilation was funny, then it immediately became creepy after the one of Incineroar doing backbreakers on the female cast and looking under Peach's dress.

Deleted member 5535

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's often mentioned in this thread how female characters are depicted as blushing and embarrassed by their own costumes etc, but apparently the curry item in Smash Bros is being used to create this effect with predictably awful results from the otaku:

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20..._obsessing_over_curry-induced_female_blushing

So they're otaku just because they're japanese? lol okay I guess you'll never see a "normal" japanese talking about games on the internet then.

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
Anne Sofie von Otter, the widow of resigned Stockholm Theatre CEO and theatre chief blamed Me Too movement and tabloids on her husband's suicide. Fredriksson was accused of allowing the culture of sexual harassment/abuse and of sexual harassment himself. Also of authoritarian leadership, including pressuring an actor to an abortion.

Last edited:

Deleted member 5535

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Card Captor is the only anime I've seen them doing lately. I seriously wish xxxHolic would come back though. Love that show.

And yeah, the second season of Magic Knight Rayearth is crazy dark. It twists the entire world and really strongly presents the conundrum of, "what is one life worth?"

Clamp didn't had any involvement with Card Captors anime though. And as far as new works, they're a mangaka so these ones would be on the medium, not in adaptations out there that still needs to happen. lol

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
So they're otaku just because they're japanese? lol okay I guess you'll never see a "normal" japanese talking about games on the internet then.
Leap to conclusions much? I didn't say 'otaku' because they are Japanese, I said 'otaku' because they are computer game fans sharing pictures of characters with weird connotations.

Deleted member 5535

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Leap to conclusions much? I didn't say 'otaku' because they are Japanese, I said 'otaku' because they are computer game fans sharing pictures of characters with weird connotations.

Not leaping to conclusions since you just proved what I thought. lol What a weird way to consider people out there to be otaku. So the ones who don't do that, are japanese, have the game and are posting about it on twitter aren't otaku because they aren't following a meme?

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Not leaping to conclusions since you just proved what I thought. lol What a weird way to consider people out there to be otaku. So the ones who don't do that, are japanese, have the game and are posting about it on twitter aren't otaku because they aren't following a meme?
It doesn't prove anything. When you have to add so many descriptives in order to find a gotcha, it comes across as weirdly defensive. If you think it's weird to consider people out there sharing this stuff, obsessed with taking something fun and turning it into female characters blushing and in compromising positions or borderline sexual assault, as 'otaku', then you do you I suppose. I find it really creepy, and wasn't talking about the people who just find Zelda blushing to be cute. More the 'Lucina with her legs in the air', or check out the Era thread for more.

Deleted member 5535

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It doesn't prove anything. When you have to add so many descriptives in order to find a gotcha, it comes across as weirdly defensive. If you think it's weird to consider people out there sharing this stuff, obsessed with taking something fun and turning it into female characters blushing and in compromising positions or borderline sexual assault, as 'otaku', then you do you I suppose. I find it really creepy, and wasn't talking about the people who just find Zelda blushing to be cute.

The problem isn't you finding that those people that did it weird, that's fine, the problem is you calling them otaku just because of it. lol

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
The problem isn't you finding that those people that did it weird, that's fine, the problem is you calling them otaku just because of it. lol
So hang on:
You agree with me that it's weird.
You think me calling them otaku for doing something creepy and weird is a problem and laughable?

Would calling them 'creepy fanboys' be more appropriate? I'm still not sure what you're getting at here. Have I misused 'Otaku', as I thought it was pretty much synonymous with 'fanboy'? Apologies if that's something wildly offensive or something.

Last edited:

Choppasmith

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Beaumont, CA
To be fair, the expression can lead to funny images...unfortunately I'm seeing too many "accidentally exposing" images rather than actually funny images.
Why does comedy for this stuff always fall back to "Sexual assault, lol amirite?"

This and this for me as well. The "funny stories" told through Smash screenshots (whether official or by fans) are a real underrated joy for me. I guess I misunderstood your post at first Redcrayon because I was going to say the same thing Xaszatm said. I had trouble understanding why blushing seemed to always equal bad. Thanks for the clarification I think we're all on the same page then. I think "innocent blushing" using the spicy curry animation is a funny exploit that could make for some funny screenshots when used responsibly and maturely, but if I had a nickel for every time some did a "Hey hey! Look at this closeup of Samus' butt!" and "Hey look at how I make Peach's face clipping through Mario's crotch mid blink. Get it?!? GET IT?!?"

This has been a pretty rampant since Brawl and I'm like:
giphy.gif

But seriously, I wouldn't mind seeing more stuff done with the guys.

Edit: Okay, I'm slow, just saw that thread :/

Last edited:

Deleted member 5535

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So hang on:
You agree with me that it's weird.
You think me calling them otaku for doing something creepy and weird is a problem and laughable?

Would calling them 'creepy fanboys' be more appropriate? I'm still not sure what you're getting at here. Have I misused 'Otaku', as I thought it was pretty much synonymous with 'fanboy'? Apologies if that's something wildly offensive or something.

It's not offensive, don't worry. It's just a misuse of the term because there's people doing some harmless scenes with the curry thing and others doing those things, and both would be otaku.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
It's not offensive, don't worry. It's just a misuse of the term because there's people doing some harmless scenes with the curry thing and others doing those things, and both would be otaku.
Ha, OK, I think that's cleared things up- apologies if my post wasn't clear what I was taking aim at initially everyone, my bad. You too Choppasmith , obviously there's loads of innocent fun to be had with Smash screenshots and items, it's the creepy shit that followed and took over that I thought was inevitable, as you say we're on the same page.

Deleted member 5535

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

If hypothetically we consider people that posting about games on the internet in japan makes you a otaku and there's many doing harmless things with this functions and others doing things with problems, then I don't really think that the generalization would be fair, no. Both would be otaku (or just people) doing different things with something available in the game.

svacina

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If hypothetically we consider people that posting about games on the internet in japan makes you a otaku and there's many doing harmless things with this functions and others doing things with problems, then I don't really think that the generalization would be fair, no. Both would be otaku (or just people) doing different things with something available in the game.
Not all otaku are creepy weirdos, but the odds are good all the creepy weirdos doing that crap are otaku.

esserius

Oct 26, 2017
Ha, OK, I think that's cleared things up- apologies if my post wasn't clear what I was taking aim at initially everyone, my bad. You too Choppasmith , obviously there's loads of innocent fun to be had with Smash screenshots and items, it's the creepy shit that followed and took over that I thought was inevitable, as you say we're on the same page.
Otaku is widely understood as fanboys, this isn't a misunderstanding on your part.

The term otaku is now a more commonly used term (you could be a fashion otaku or a music otaku), whereas extreme obsession has been termed "wotaku". That said, it's still accurate that an otaku is still a fan of some particular type of media. Its connotation is also still widely negative, even if within a circle it might be acceptable.

Deleted member 7130

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I don't follow the otaku problem. It looks more a certain way than a legit grievance, but I refrain from casting aspersions right now.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
SO I'm playing Jotun atm and it's an interesting action adventure game. Think the style of Legend of Zelda of sorts.
You have a hub world and from there enter stages that can involve solving some light puzzles or navigating through them while dodging hazards.
It's a pretty chill game for the most part, esp. when there's not combat...among other things >_>;

Anyways this is the protagonist, Thora
Thora_Animation.0.0.png

Really like her deisgn although gameplay wise it's not a game that's gonna take a while to get used to its controls due to her slow swinging of her sword, meaning you can't go blitzing in like say Diablo. Also the ingame map won't state your actual location so you gotta make it out from your surroundings and current position in a stage.

ArjanN

Oct 25, 2017
SO I'm playing Jotun atm and it's an interesting action adventure game. Think the style of Legend of Zelda of sorts.
You have a hub world and from there enter stages that can involve solving some light puzzles or navigating through them while dodging hazards.
It's a pretty chill game for the most part, esp. when there's not combat...among other things >_>;

Anyways this is the protagonist, Thora
Thora_Animation.0.0.png

Really like her deisgn although gameplay wise it's not a game that's gonna take a while to get used to its controls due to her slow swinging of her sword, meaning you can't go blitzing in like say Diablo. Also the ingame map won't state your actual location so you gotta make it out from your surroundings and current position in a stage.

The game they made after, Sundered, has a solid female protagonist design as well.

horde_run_618_3.jpg

sunderedpc2.jpg

Saucycarpdog

Oct 25, 2017
I remember someone here talking about a Japanese game where the writers or character designers were told to make a female character act more cute or something.

Anyone remember which game that was?

Opa-Pa

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I remember someone here talking about a Japanese game where the writers or character designers were told to make a female character act more cute or something.

Persona 5, maybe? Soejima, the designer, said he was told to make a handful of characters more cute (though he ain't no saint himself).

esserius

Oct 26, 2017

This isn't really one game. It's a common conversation due to the perceived male audience and a need to sell to them.

Status
Not open for further replies.