Nimbat1003

Nov 14, 2021
We need the guys to catch up to women unabashedly working their sexuality. Men are so boring just standing there, dressing normally, basic camera on their face.

what even are some good(or bad) examples sexual men in gaming, like off the top of my head i can think of.

visually, Clive in his dad outfit, though he's oblivious to it.

e9750ea62934b18f0dccbfeba13e452f.jpg

character wise i guess Zevran from memory(iron bull as well in inquisition) though my memory is hazy on both these characters.

45863033107bad43a2c6194e334e515e.png

Baldur's gate 3 obviously with Astarion but I'll shout out Halsin here because he's a less common take on it.
Pin on ✯ Media

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
what even are some good(or bad) examples sexual men in gaming, like off the top of my head i can think of.

character wise i guess Zevran from memory(iron bull as well in inquisition) though my memory is hazy on both these characters.

Baldur's gate 3 obviously with Astarion but I'll shout out Halsin here because he's a less common take on it.
Pin on ✯ Media

Dionysus from the first Hades game might count?

Navid

Oct 26, 2017

MoonlitSeer

Fallen Guardian
Jun 9, 2023

Pin on ✯ Media
Like half the guys (maybe more) in Guilty Gear qualify. Especially in the older art. No surprise there given Daisuke Ishiwatari and the heavy influence from rock bands.

Paroni

Dec 17, 2020

I think I have posted this same thing before, but when Clive Barker jumped abroad and got the creative lead he made sure that Undying got a more sexy protagonist.

latest

"We had this fellow called Magnus. Count Magnus Wolfram. Who was bald, tattoed, looked like a comic book hero. And I got them all in a room, and I said, 'Look, does anyone in this room know a count? No. Does anybody in this room know anybody called Magnus? No. Does anybody really want to be in this guy's skin? Since this is a first person play, why would you want to be in this man's skin? Why would you want to play [as him]?' And so we threw him out, and I said, 'Look. You've got a gay man in charge here. Bring me somebody I want to sleep with. Bring me somebody fabulously sexy.'...
"Brian Horton about ten days later sent me the character that now appears on the screen. Who was wonderful, he's everything I wanted. He was just the right kind of character. He seemed like somebody you would want to be, somebody you would want to play, whose skin you would want to occupy for a period of time. Even if you are going against the hordes of hell, at least he was going to do it with a smile on his face."

Clive Barker's Undying Interview

By Jason Bergman, www.sharkygames.com, 21 February 2001

Nimbat1003

Nov 14, 2021
Like half the guys (maybe more) in Guilty Gear qualify. Especially in the older art. No surprise there given Daisuke Ishiwatari and the heavy influence from rock bands.
good point, as a newer fan going back to older design has been fun to see there evolution.
like how they handled Bridget and testament has been great over time.

but i like how ANJI just follows the same idea of a sexy female design.

ANJI
latest

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
That is indeed a lot, but I kinda like it... however my favourite portrayal of Hera is from Smite:

9ukCNOq.jpeg

Source (+ more info into her design): https://www.smitegame.com/news/hera-a-closer-look

The Smite design definitely carves closer to my personal mental image of Hera. The traditional/sterotypical "ancient Greek" updo combined with the simple clothing with the admittedly VERY cool peacock feather motif on the skirt. It's one of those little details that just makes you go "yeah, that's Hera".

The Hades version is beautiful and regal (and I do appreciate her absolutely RIDICULOUS hair), though her design doesn't IMMEDIATELY scream "yeah, that's Hera" to me the way someone like Hermes' does. That doesn't make it bad, per se, but I'm not sure how I feel about it overall.

Rae

Mar 7, 2019

Yeah fellow clive fans united.

I would say like GBF for their art of male characters like Eustace, dragon knights, and others were revealing male outfits.

Foolhardy

May 4, 2024
I think I have posted this same thing before, but when Clive Barker jumped abroad and got the creative lead he made sure that Undying got a more sexy protagonist.

latest

This is a perfect example when you see the art of the lead they discarded. Clive Barker delivered.

We need the guys to catch up to women unabashedly working their sexuality. Men are so boring just standing there, dressing normally, basic camera on their face.

10% of why I want a Darkstalkers revival is the long shot possibility of an incubus counterpart to Morrigan that is just as sexed up as her in a fun way rather than aggressive and creepy. Hell, make him inexplicably Irish and give him a matching deity name. Angus Og would be on brand.

Failing that, there's always Rikuo.

View: https://twitter.com/JayAxer/status/1032704952706027521

Testament, as perceived in the West before Strive, was an absolute revelation for me. That just continued when we finally caught up with Japan concerning their gender.

Now I'm just praying Venom returns with his long hair intact but also with more of his face visible. That's all the glow up he needs.

Last edited:

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
By "examples of sexual men in gaming" do we mean sexualized men? Men who express actual sexuality? Or just sexy (attractive) men? The latter is fairly common, but the former is super rare.

Nimbat1003

Nov 14, 2021
By "examples of sexual men in gaming" do we mean sexualized men? Men who express actual sexuality? Or just sexy (attractive) men? The latter is fairly common, but the former is super rare.
"We need the guys to catch up to women unabashedly working their sexuality. Men are so boring just standing there, dressing normally, basic camera on their face."
i started from this but just used sexual for a more catch all term since sexualised men are pretty uncommon outside of shojo VN 's. was just curious what example''s people had all round weather bad or good. and male characters who are sexual outsie of the sterotypical wominiser trait.
File:FETH Sylvain.png

Nimbat1003

Nov 14, 2021
Via SMTV Vengeance previews.

oFJXTDY.gif

oh and specifically this was the post that prompted this, so if u have an guys doing this bring em out.

Nimbat1003

Nov 14, 2021
Would poses like this be close enough to count?

Guys practically making out with or pole dancing around their weapons or vehicles and such.

oh 100%, like a buff shirtless dude i wouldn't even say would be that sexualised since that just still appeals to a male gaze in a power fantasy way. eg he-man

this was the first thing that came to my mind.(though not in gaming obviously)
CDN media

EDIT: we have voldo though he just meant to be a freak more than sexualised /using that sexualisation to make you uncomfortable.
latest

Jan 11, 2018

latest

Bruno from Voice of Cards. Male characters are rarely designed like this. But it's a proper equivalent to a lot of the gratuitous sexualisation of female characters we commonly see in many games, I'd say, It makes for a good example when someone claims that "Hot Ryu" is basically the same thing as Eve from Stellar Blade or something stupid like that. A lot of the GamerGate chuds would lose their minds if we saw male characters portrayed like this in every other game.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
Dante I guess? He's usually shown as sexy or shirtless. I mean, it pales in comparison to the ladies in the very same series, but well, you know >_>

SinOfHeart

Shinra Employee
Oct 27, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
"We need the guys to catch up to women unabashedly working their sexuality. Men are so boring just standing there, dressing normally, basic camera on their face."
i started from this but just used sexual for a more catch all term since sexualised men are pretty uncommon outside of shojo VN 's. was just curious what example''s people had all round weather bad or good. and male characters who are sexual outsie of the sterotypical wominiser trait.

I think you are going to find that this doesn't really exist that much outside of male oriented gay content.

Straight male characters intended for a female audience tend to focus a lot more on romantic actions and the personality of the character over physical traits (with the physical stuff usually maxing out at the character being shirtless). Like the body types still tend to follow a somewhat predictable pattern, but exposed body parts isn't really as much the focus. Part of that could be because male genitalia for the most part aren't allowed to be shown in anything but adult content though. But I think another aspect is that women just tend to be more interested and attracted to things which aren't physical features (I think men also factor in a lot of the same thing, just the weighting tends to be different).

Weirdly my personal preferences as a male who identifies as bisexual are similar (though I know this varies widely with bisexual people). Like I am physically attracted to women, but with men I don't really feel strong physical attraction and heavily rely on building an emotional bond.

Last edited:

Nimbat1003

Nov 14, 2021
latest

Bruno from Voice of Cards. Male characters are rarely designed like this. But it's a proper equivalent to a lot of the gratuitous sexualisation of female characters we commonly see in many games, I'd say, It makes for a good example when someone claims that "Hot Ryu" is basically the same thing as Eve from Stellar Blade or something stupid like that. A lot of the GamerGate chuds would lose their minds if we saw male characters portrayed like this in every other game.

Dante I guess? He's usually shown as sexy or shirtless. I mean, it pales in comparison to the ladies in the very same series, but well, you know >_>

good example here, i would say Bruno is sexulized while dante is sexy. Dante is a character you want to be like (as a guy) thats his design first and foremost, yes he's also just hot. but yeah outside of DMC i don't remember too much fanservce with dante.

Rae

Mar 7, 2019
I think you are going to find that this doesn't really exist that much outside of male oriented gay content.

Straight male characters intended for a female audience tend to focus a lot more on romantic actions and the personality of the character over physical traits (with the physical stuff usually maxing out at the character being shirtless). Like the body types still tend to follow a somewhat predictable pattern, but exposed body parts isn't really as much the focus. Part of that could be because male genitalia for the most part aren't allowed to be shown in anything but adult content though. But I think another aspect is that women just tend to be more interested and attracted to things which aren't physical features (I think men also factor in a lot of the same thing, just the weighting tends to be different).

Weirdly my personal preferences as a male who identifies as bisexual are similar (though I know this varies widely with bisexual people). Like I am physically attracted to women, but with men I don't really feel strong physical attraction and heavily rely on building an emotional bond.

I think it depends on the woman and her preferences🤔

I figure 99% of most game companies are cowards so it's almost never an option beyond the niche BLVN genre.

Maledict

Oct 25, 2017

The one time they've really sexualised Dante gamers went absolutely fucking ballistic and described him as a hobo or a heroin addict.

They do have good looking guys in the normal DmC games, but they aren't sexualised at all in the way the female characters are, and aside from DMC the art has never focussed on them being sexy in that way either,.

Nimbat1003

Nov 14, 2021

that was kind of my thinking going into this, but just curious as a straight guy what i might not notice or miss.
since most of the overt examples of this i see in wider market do the villainous portrayal like camp villains in older Disney movies.

or voldo is soulcalibur using those sexual traits to make you uncomfortable.

a lot of the examples so far especially remind me of that 80's glam rock vibe which might be the inspiration for many of them.

i don't think it's an underserved market of the audience or anything, i'm more just curious since it is so rare, it can be used as a unique character trait.
i find myself draw to alot of those less heteronormative characters because i just find them more interesting. especially from a surface level (testament in strive or Leo in Tekken.)

maybe it's cause i never do self insert in games or books it's always this characters journey not me, maybe i just get so much dude do cool dude shit everywhere else anyway.(just played through re6 this year so i hate this guy)

jake-muller.jpg

Nimbat1003

Nov 14, 2021

I figure 99% of most game companies are cowards so it's almost never an option beyond the niche BLVN genre.

reading up on how they created thane in ME2 is always fun.

0763.Thane_2D00_head_2D00_02.jpg

What we usually do is get feedback from some people at this point, and the women looked at these and went, 'I'm not sure about that guy. He's got a giant red mark on his face and he's creepy.' And we were like, 'what he looks cool.' So we went back to the drawing board."

"We almost started right from scratch again. We were trying to reference more reptiles and marine life. Then the women around the office found out about this, and they were like, 'you guys get hot blue aliens, and we get a guy with a fish head.'

SinOfHeart

Shinra Employee
Oct 27, 2017
Phoenix, AZ

Oh it varies for sure. Like there is tons of BL content created by straight women. And I feel like a huge part of that is either from strong physical attraction to the male form or an interest in a type of relationship they can't experience.

I just feel like in general from female oriented media I've consumed (which is like romantic comedy films, tv shows, shoujo manga, and otome games) the male physique is usually a smaller element of them. The few romance novels I've read have focused more on the male body, but usually more for actual sexual content.

Foolhardy

May 4, 2024
I wish I could find a gif of his sassy walking animation but of course it would be a Jojo game that would deliver at least something.

reading up on how they created thane in ME2 is always fun.

0763.Thane_2D00_head_2D00_02.jpg

What we usually do is get feedback from some people at this point, and the women looked at these and went, 'I'm not sure about that guy. He's got a giant red mark on his face and he's creepy.' And we were like, 'what he looks cool.' So we went back to the drawing board."

"We almost started right from scratch again. We were trying to reference more reptiles and marine life. Then the women around the office found out about this, and they were like, 'you guys get hot blue aliens, and we get a guy with a fish head.'

2017 proved there's an audience for fishmen but yeah, more women and male-attracted folks should have been part of the character design process from the beginning there.

Nimbat1003

Nov 14, 2021
I wish I could find a gif of his sassy walking animation but of course it would be a Jojo game that would deliver at least something.

well jojo fan is gender all in itself.(though again goes back to that glam rock inspiration)
though that reminds me the honey bee inn in ff7 remake is a pretty good example, it's more of a drag angle but u have characters like andrea and the dancers.

edit.
oh...BOTW Zora right.

Stupid Sexy Flanders | Simpsons Wiki | Fandom

MoonlitSeer

Fallen Guardian
Jun 9, 2023
oh 100%, like a buff shirtless dude i wouldn't even say would be that sexualised since that just still appeals to a male gaze in a power fantasy way. eg he-man
Yea, that's why I immediately jumped to Guilty Gear. Yes, an astonishingly large portion of the male cast is just shirtless, but they are also framed in a way that is definitely intended to be alluring. Anji was a great shoutout because his official art for XX has him doing that traditional anime girl lean forward pose, and he's generally presented in more feminine ways compared to others.
latest

One of his story ending cards is him sitting in the moonlight on a bed of maple leaves, still shirtless. Venom is Venom. Even Johnny has some artwork where he is almost stripping or trying to highlight his chest in a clearly sexual manner (as opposed to just being there as a power fantasy, though it's also that).

On the opposite end there's the fully-clothed Zato-One in his skintight catsuit and constant pinup posing. And there is simply no straight explanation for whatever is going on with the artwork between Sol and Ky from that era.
image.png
image.png

Mar 23, 2024
Hell
I mean there's a game I can think of that fits this and is aimed at women as well, but I don't think it's allowed on resetera (nu 🎪, if anyone gets that lol it's kinda toxic ig, but the men definitely are sexualized in a way that is specifically aimed at women). Ofc individuals have different tastes so that's something to keep in mind too.

Jotakori

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
Oh it varies for sure. Like there is tons of BL content created by straight women. And I feel like a huge part of that is either from strong physical attraction to the male form or an interest in a type of relationship they can't experience.

I just feel like in general from female oriented media I've consumed (which is like romantic comedy films, tv shows, shoujo manga, and otome games) the male physique is usually a smaller element of them. The few romance novels I've read have focused more on the male body, but usually more for actual sexual content.
It's worth keeping in mind that women are also taught to feel a lot of shame for their sexual desires, and like they should only ever express them in approved, respectable ways -- particularly in ways that don't make men feel too uncomfortable. So ofc this is going to affect what kinds of content they feel comfortable with and like they're allowed to create, even in female-oriented mediums. (And a lot of those mediums are still overseen by men, despite being meant for women.)

If women were given the freedom and encouragement to fully embrace and explore their sexual interests to the same extent men are given, shame free, I honestly think we would see a lot more focus on the physical side of things and get way more instances of dudes in skimpy bullshit outfits.

PAFenix

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 21, 2019
I mean there's a game I can think of that fits this and is aimed at women as well, but I don't think it's allowed on resetera (nu 🎪, if anyone gets that lol it's kinda toxic ig, but the men definitely are sexualized in a way that is specifically aimed at women). Ofc individuals have different tastes so that's something to keep in mind too.

My bedroom is decked out in merchandise from that game. Wife runs a small-ish fan community.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
The one time they've really sexualised Dante gamers went absolutely fucking ballistic and described him as a hobo or a heroin addict.

They do have good looking guys in the normal DmC games, but they aren't sexualised at all in the way the female characters are, and aside from DMC the art has never focussed on them being sexy in that way either,.

I was trying to find the intro where he's naked but can't. Well, in gif form at least. Video it's easy

View: https://youtu.be/8pOhGpP-Pp4?t=221

And that game was much better that what the "community" would lead you to believe.

SinOfHeart

Shinra Employee
Oct 27, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
It's worth keeping in mind that women are also taught to feel a lot of shame for their sexual desires, and like they should only ever express them in approved, respectable ways -- particularly in ways that don't make men feel too uncomfortable. So ofc this is going to affect what kinds of content they feel comfortable with and like they're allowed to create, even in female-oriented mediums. (And a lot of those mediums are still overseen by men, despite being meant for women.)

If women were given the freedom and encouragement to fully embrace and explore their sexual interests to the same extent men are given, shame free, I honestly think we would see a lot more focus on the physical side of things and get way more instances of dudes in skimpy bullshit outfits.

I think that is a factor for sure. And why I kind of brought up male genitalia basically being fairly off limits from being shown on screen. Men (especially straight ones) driving entertainment for so long has kind of prevented certain media from existing or gaining all that much traction.

In kind of looking at a lot of examples being presented I feel like many of them are either BL or feel heavily coded as homoerotic. And I imagine that itself is another effect of society, where men in these types of outfits or drawn in certain gestures (like even hugging) with other men automatically make people think the characters might be gay.

ventuno

Nov 11, 2019

Haha, that's pretty much the only game that really can hold a candle to female character designs. Nothing else really comes close as far as mainstream titles go. In most works, men must still feel cool or powerful to other men first even if they're meant to be attractive or appealing (gacha game rosters are a really great example of this), unless they're an antagonist. Case in point: Kuja.

CBOzsr9.png

The most recent example I can think of that isn't an antagonist is probably a recent Bianchi card from Helios Rising Heroes:

View: https://twitter.com/helios_ch/status/1721407159186128988

Leeness

Oct 27, 2017
Haha, that's pretty much the only game that really can hold a candle to female character designs. Nothing else really comes close as far as mainstream titles go. In most works, men must still feel cool or powerful to other men first even if they're meant to be attractive or appealing (gacha game rosters are a really great example of this), unless they're an antagonist. Case in point: Kuja.

CBOzsr9.png

My fabulous boy! <3

I guess in the vein of FF villains, I see a lot of thirst over Seph with Remake and Rebirth lol. I mean, he's not meant to be sexy, he's meant to be cool, but he does have his chest and abs on display, I guess, along with the fabulous hair, distinct eyes, and the camera always on his lips haha. There are SO MANY loving close ups of his mouth lol.

And, yeah @ nu 🎪 lol, I see ads and fanart of that all the time, and lordy.

Nimbat1003

Nov 14, 2021
And that game was much better that what the "community" would lead you to believe.
this was my first DMC game and i actually really liked it for that, i liked DMC5 more and 3 Kinda going back to it but yeah, also thought the end of DMC was pretty cool and linked it well.

but all in all kinda felt like needless reboot for fans after a semi reboot with 4. like they introduced Pouchie in 4 and then made dante Pouchie in the next game you cant have 2 Pouchies, so in 5 they un-Pouchiefied Nero and gave us EMO-Pouchie who turned out to be Nega-Pouchie all along.

sorry i had to much fun, i had to finish that train of thought.

Juraash

Oct 25, 2017
Hell no. That game was shit and nu-Dante is an atrocity, let's not be revisionist here :P

Glad you said it. I was ready to come in here and derail.

Funnily enough, I know several people who think Dante (the original/actual one) is sexy. My mother was more upset about his design changes than I was. She didn't really like violent games, but she was about DMC because of Dante lol.

But also, DmC has some uhhhh....really questionable portrayals and things across the board. I'd still read it to fucking death for them regardless of that the MC was called or the title on the box. 4 is probably the worst offender of the Capcom games in terms of objectifying its women characters, but DmC is on some shit.

Nimbat1003

Nov 14, 2021
I think that is a factor for sure. And why I kind of brought up male genitalia basically being fairly off limits from being shown on screen. Men (especially straight ones) driving entertainment for so long has kind of prevented certain media from existing or gaining all that much traction.

also when it is it's almost purely for comedic value, like Baldur's gate 3 kind of takes it everyway but yeah watching playthroughs everyone making all the penis B jokes in the character creator.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
this was my first DMC game and i actually really liked it for that, i liked DMC5 more and 3 Kinda going back to it but yeah, also thought the end of DMC was pretty cool and linked it well.

but all in all kinda felt like needless reboot for fans after a semi reboot with 4. like they introduced Pouchie in 4 and then made dante Pouchie in the next game you cant have 2 Pouchies, so in 5 they un-Pouchiefied Nero and gave us EMO-Pouchie who turned out to be Nega-Pouchie all along.

sorry i had to much fun, i had to finish that train of thought.

I hadn't even played any dmc game besides 4 at that point myself, so like I said I had no attachment to the series, so I just thought it was some cool combat and a really striking visual style. I did play the original trilogy semi-recently, and 2 is an abomination, DmC is Baldur's Gate 3 in comparison :p

but anyway yeah, I can't think of many more besides Dante. It usually amounts to "Im shirtless showing my abs" which while sexy sure, is a far cry to what women characters usually wear. Like lets take Johnny from GG

latest

open jacket, shirtless, low cut jeans, pretty sexy I think everyone can agree. The problem is that if you compare it to a lady from the same game like Dizzy for example, well...

latest

red_shift_ltd

May 24, 2019
US
I hadn't even played any dmc game besides 4 at that point myself, so like I said I had no attachment to the series, so I just thought it was some cool combat and a really striking visual style. I did play the original trilogy semi-recently, and 2 is an abomination, DmC is Baldur's Gate 3 in comparison :p

but anyway yeah, I can't think of many more besides Dante. It usually amounts to "Im shirtless showing my abs" which while sexy sure, is a far cry to what women characters usually wear. Like lets take Johnny from GG

latest

open jacket, shirtless, low cut jeans, pretty sexy I think everyone can agree. The problem is that if you compare it to a lady from the same game like Dizzy for example, well...

latest

I quite like that the GG series tries to have something for everyone, though it has a lot of missteps. The most recent entry, Strive, has the most mature versions of the characters but still stumbles with some like Baiken being a walking boob joke but also she's getting near reaching Nirvana?

After how they handled Testament and Bridgette I feel like they are at least trying to be progressive but it's not 100% there yet. For a fighting game it's better than most but that's not saying a lot. The more I learn about the series the better I like it but I'd totally cop to having rose colored glasses on.

Rae

Mar 7, 2019

The man just needs to wear speedos for equality imho.