• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Torpedo Vegas

Oct 27, 2017
Parts Unknown.
Yes

Wko1k8nq0S0bPiyhm8zvYuGEU_fphBW2xqfrIXREjok.gif
What does Sick Boy think he's going to do up on that top rope?

AliceAmber

Drive-in Mutant
Administrator
May 2, 2018
You've both moved on with your lives, just be friendly if you see each other. I'm sure it will go over fine!

Breaking up over EDM is a totally new one though. Wow.

CallMeShaft

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know if this has already been said, but if your ex comes by you just say "do I know you?" and pretend you have no clue who she is.

Boze Man

Oct 27, 2017
Bozeman, MT
In her early-mid thirties she discovered EDM and it became her fucking passion. It was all about the next show/festival/whatever. And I'm more of a tiny venue hipster with a guitar kinda guy, so yeah I had zero interest. But I never judged, never rolled my eyes, look people have their own things, she didn't have to love everything I liked and vice versa. She would say a festival was coming up and I would be like awesome have fun - basically the same thing she'd give me if I said hey new Star Wars coming or whatever.

THAT BEING SAID

In anger and shock and despair, I did slip the night of the breakup. After she had laid everything out I, you know, might've said something like "I don't know what to say. I guess there's nowhere to go when one person is saying "I wanna move in together" and the other is saying "I wanna know where I can get cheap glowsticks!""

Look man when you're hurt you say things. Not proud of it. But ahhh... not going to apologize either.

If she discovered EDM in her early to mid 30's and it's been 4 years since the break up, that puts you at the least damn near 40. So grow up. Go over and kill the big elephant in the room as soon as possible. That way you're not thinking about it the whole time and can actually enjoy yourself and not break out into a nervous sweat if you find yourself in the same Pepsi line or whatever the fuck they serve at a dry wedding. Go over, say hi, yada yada, good to see you, then move on. Trust me, you're going to feel so much better and wonder why you fussing over this for weeks.

If 3/4's of the replies here are serious, ya'll need help.

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
In her early-mid thirties she discovered EDM and it became her fucking passion. It was all about the next show/festival/whatever. And I'm more of a tiny venue hipster with a guitar kinda guy, so yeah I had zero interest. But I never judged, never rolled my eyes, look people have their own things, she didn't have to love everything I liked and vice versa. She would say a festival was coming up and I would be like awesome have fun - basically the same thing she'd give me if I said hey new Star Wars coming or whatever.

THAT BEING SAID

In anger and shock and despair, I did slip the night of the breakup. After she had laid everything out I, you know, might've said something like "I don't know what to say. I guess there's nowhere to go when one person is saying "I wanna move in together" and the other is saying "I wanna know where I can get cheap glowsticks!""

Look man when you're hurt you say things. Not proud of it. But ahhh... not going to apologize either.
You dodged a bullet. Girls who are hung up on the EDM/festival lifestyle seem strangely abundant these days. And I've had my own share of (albeit, fairly short) relationships not go my way because of my lack of interest in it. At the end of the day if they are prioritizing going to festivals over a long term relationship with you, they're being incredibly immature. It's even worse that she's already in her thirties. And if you look deep down you probably don't want that anyway.

Don't feel bad about the bolded statement. It's 100% truth.

At the wedding just be a normal human. Say hi. Don't ignore her. Make small talk with her briefly with your current girlfriend present. And then go on the rest of your evening, enjoying your current relationship and honoring your friend who is actually getting married.

Oct 27, 2017
If you actually bump into her, keep it short and cordial.

You are there to pay attention to the groom/bride and your current partner.

Don't go out of your way to bump in to her.

That simple.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
Head nod at most, crack a EDM joke when the dj hands out glow sticks to kids at the end of the night.

Never heard someone dump a person for a music genre. Lol wtf.

I've been there, but more so i wasn't into the club scene. I don't like house music enough to stay in the hamptons 4 days a week every week from Memorial Day to Labor Day listening to "hot tracks" and having lock jaw from cocaine. Fuck that noise.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Just say hello, what's up, chit chat like any normal conversation, move on to other people. Don't act weird like it still bothers you. You're happy, she is happy. Good, good.

Oct 27, 2017
How long away is it and do you have time to sexy yourself up a bit before then? (Lose a bit of weight, gain a bit of muscle mass, etc).

Krakatoa

Prophet of Regret
Oct 29, 2017
MĂ©nage Ă  trois

Whatever you do, Don't be the couple that ruined the wedding day.

VISION

Oct 25, 2017
This reminds me of the last wedding I was at. I skipped the ceremony but walked into the reception. I saw one of my friends/former roommate. Went up and started talking to him. He stopped halfway through telling me how drunk he was because he saw his ex and was immediately like "excuse me" and stumbled over to initiate what I'm sure was a terrible encounter. I didn't stick around for it lol

ty_hot

Banned
Dec 14, 2017
- My understanding is the ex will be bringing her new BF as well. I really don't care.

you just need to pretend she is noone, say hi and bye, nothing else.

Raguel

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It's not that hard. Nod or acknowledge her presence for that brief moment and then you erase her from memory and enjoy the rest of the wedding with your new awesome girlfriend.

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Don't talk to her. Simple as that.

I will likely be in a similar situation in a year at a friend's wedding, but I am not sure if my ex and her husband will be invited or not. Regardless, my wife will be there with me, she is briefed, and knows I simply will not talk to her.

OP
OP
BluePigGanon

BluePigGanon

Oct 27, 2017
Hey everyone, thanks for the input thus far - be it good, silly, and tough love. It helps. And it's pretty much cementing my instinct about it thus far which has been be polite if I run into her but otherwise: I'm there for the bride and to have a nice time with new GF, so focus on that.

I'll let y'all know how it goes in about a week and a half, too. hahahaha

Also: I get how some people feel like maybe this is too much handwringing. For the record I've bumped into exes before and it's always been fine, and I've never really worried about it. This one is just weird because of the length of time we were together + the abruptness (and aforementioned weirdness) of the breakup + the fact we've had ZERO contact since, which was great to move on but awkward for when the bump into finally occurs.

kamineko

Linked the Fire
Oct 25, 2017
Accardi-by-the-Sea
is your life fine? don't do anything

even if your life isn't fine, don't do anything

congrats on not making your life about EDM, solid call

if she says something to you, be nice and get away politely

or bring your switch and hide in the corner

edit oops you updated while I was typing

sgtnosboss

Nov 9, 2017
Lemme bottom line it for you:

- Was seeing a woman seriously for about 5 years.

- Broke up about 4 years ago. Has been zero contact since, this will be the first encounter.

- She dumped me. One of the main reasons she gave: "I want to be with someone who shares my love of EDM." Reasons like that and it being sorta out of the blue caused me to take it poorly. It was a tough recovery, I felt low for a long while.

- Feel better now, and better off, and with someone new. She will be my plus 1 at the wedding. She has been briefed. That all being said: still a bit of a chip on my shoulder.

- My understanding is the ex will be bringing her new BF as well. I really don't care.

Okay now that I've laid it out: how do you comport yourself? Anyone been in a similar situation? MY inclination is the "polite stranger" tone: be nice/grownup, greet if you find yourself in the same space, but basically minimize and avoid contact. No need to make conversation or introduce new GF, and if I can get away with zero contact all evening hey I'll take it.

Thoughts?
exactly what you said OP, I had to be around a friend that we ended very badly at a recent wedding. friends for 20 years. I just avoided him at all costs honestly, but that worked well for me.

Deleted member 40853

User requested account closure
Banned
Mar 9, 2018
Some astonishingly bad advice in this thread. Four years is a pretty long time, if you see her just ask her how she's been and make small talk for 2 minutes, then go enjoy the rest of the wedding. You've both moved on to new people, the past is the past. If you make a big deal out of seeing her / not seeing her, or make some stupid quip, your current gf is just going to (rightfully) think you haven't moved on.

oledome

Oct 25, 2017
Whole lot of bad advice in here. Say hello, tell her she looks nice and it was nice to see her again and move along. You know act like a polite adult.
how did it take so long

it's been a long time OP, you can handle it and so can your plus one, no need for a big gesture but don't ignore her

lurksalot

Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
Act surprised but excited to see her, then introduce your current GF to the ex but call the ex by the wrong name, preferably something similar to her real name so it seems like an honest mistake.

Follow that up by pretending to have met the ex's BF before. Make up a name on the spot and ask the BF if he has talked to that person recently, preferably referencing a memory that never happened, laughing about it.

Last edited:

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
If you bump into them, "Hi, how are you doing? Nice to hear. Hope you have a fun rest of the party! See you around!"

Like, they're just some other person. It's not a big deal.

StarStorm

"This guy are sick"
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Don't have to talk to her. Enjoy the wedding with your GF. Pretty simple.
An uneventful evening is probably the best.

Saganator

Oct 26, 2017
People in this thread saying to avoid and not talk to her are either 17 years old or dumb.

You're both adults and moved on with your lives. No reason why you can't say hello, how are you, and stuff like that.

tiesto

Oct 27, 2017
Long Island, NY
I got a kick out of the EDM thing (naturally - as it was a bit frustrating for me when I was dating some of my ex's and they were getting pissy about me playing house music in the car, refused to go to shows, etc), but in my day, I've met some super hardcore trance fans that I wouldn't be surprised if they were telling the truth.

Festivals and electronic music events are super fun, when you were with your ex did you go to any with her or did you just write it off?

I've been there, but more so i wasn't into the club scene. I don't like house music enough to stay in the hamptons 4 days a week every week from Memorial Day to Labor Day listening to "hot tracks" and having lock jaw from cocaine. Fuck that noise.

I love house music but anything Hamptons-related is torture for me :P

Mammoth Jones

Oct 25, 2017
New York
Be so into your girl you don't have time to bother giving a shit.

If she discovered EDM in her early to mid 30's and it's been 4 years since the break up, that puts you at the least damn near 40. So grow up. Go over and kill the big elephant in the room as soon as possible. That way you're not thinking about it the whole time and can actually enjoy yourself and not break out into a nervous sweat if you find yourself in the same Pepsi line or whatever the fuck they serve at a dry wedding. Go over, say hi, yada yada, good to see you, then move on. Trust me, you're going to feel so much better and wonder why you fussing over this for weeks.

If 3/4's of the replies here are serious, ya'll need help.

I wouldn't go out of my way to locate her but if we bump into each other I'd be respectful and genuinely happy they are doing well. That's about it. She's not owed any greetings or acknowledgement. Just be easy no matter what.

Update!
OP
OP
BluePigGanon

BluePigGanon

Oct 27, 2017
Just because I promised an post mortem once it was over:

No drama, and only a few awkward moments - overall what I was expecting and probably the best possible outcome. The wedding and venue were huge enough that it was easy to spread out and avoid each other without being obvious about it. Because we never really had to be in the same space for anything, no greetings or acknowledgements were necessary and that was fine by me (and presumably her too). A mutual friend did offer to usher her over to "rip the band aid off" but I nixed it - there was no reason. If it was a tiny wedding or we were at the same table or something, sure of course... but no reason to force it.

I'll just leave one last thought on it: SOMETIMES, when you're lucky, you get to observe an ex doing their thing with their new significant other over the course of an evening and enough time has passed where you can honestly think to yourself "God, I forgot how totally over her bullshit I was."

Thanks everyone who gave me a pep talk or at least a chuckle. For sure it was way more painful chewing on it and anticipating than actually being there in that situation.