• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Laserbeam

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I still use a version from 2011 or some shit. It just works fine, is light and does what I want so I stuck with it.

hoorway Winamp.

Oct 25, 2017
I remember Winamp 3 being not as good as 2, and so I reverted back to it until I eventually left Winamp forever. At least, I think it was 3 that I didn't like? Maybe it was 5.

Hoo-doo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
I could never trust someone who still uses Winamp in the year of our lord 2018.

It's like still watching VHS. It's the first step in being fucking old and 'not with it' anymore. Next thing you know you're facetiming your kids to ask them to explain how to install a printer and when you show them the box you actually bought a paper shredder. Friends don't let other friends keep using Winamp.

Afrikan

Oct 28, 2017
Would yall want Mplayer back?

mplayer.jpg

That was my first experience with trying to meet a random girl on the internet. We had a private room voice chatting and DAMN if my teenage ass wasn't ready to take a train 300 miles to Fresno for some (potential) sex. Ah teenagers, what idiots we were.

But yeah mainly used Mplayer to play online games... but those were some of the first times I had with voice chatting with strangers.

Deleted member 20284

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Winamp, more like Skinamp. I've never seen so many community designs in any other app. Great app though, good quality, top equalizer and add-ons were insane.

EDIT: Shit give me a sub type service to replace Google Music or use it as the interface to such devices/subs and I'll jump back on with Winamp.

Oct 25, 2017
I used to addict changing skins back in my young days when I randomly downloaded any themes for free from Netscape just to fit with my mood. It was very nostalgia thing.

Would do it again when it got released.

Oscillator

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Canada
I never really used Winamp for anything other than chiptune emulation (which I haven't done since game music became prevalent on YouTube). It's nice and compact, but it had some weird bugs and interface oddities.

After Windows Media Player started getting bloated, I switched to Media Player Classic, which has a super clean interface and high (but not universal, alas) compatibility. Many people swear by VLC, but I find it harder to configure and not quite as responsive as MPC.

My only real problem now is that MPC has stopped major updates, and nobody has volunteered to continue...

P.S. Later versions of Winamp changed the intro to "Llama tested, mother approved."

Last edited:

Thorn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Winamp was great. No BS just music. And if you wanted a DBZ skin to play your Papa Roach mp3s you...found...even better!

Oct 26, 2017
Still using it. I like how it compresses to be tiny enough to fit inside the header of another window - there's always somewhere I can place it.

Deleted member 2328

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It will be difficult to go back to WinAmp when foobar2000 now has all the necessary plug-ins for audiophiles.

AlsoZ

Oct 29, 2017
Win amp met some UI issues on my multi monitor setup, but I still use it for my music collection. Newer interfaces waste so much space.

Echo

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Mt. Whatever
Still using Winamp to this day and refuse to change. I'm suspicious of this relaunch and will watch it closely. After years of using the same program and getting it set up just right, using it the same way every single day... It would be weird to accept any changes.

I don't really feel any reason to be trustful of the people in charge of it now I guess.

aspiegamer

Oct 27, 2017
ZzzzzzZzzzZzz...
I guess I've been with winamp for 20+ damn years now, and until anything new comes along that's even half as intuitive and easy to use, I'm never getting rid of it. Parks easily on the side of the screen, instant program response, easy sorting, easy search. It's hyper minimalist by today's standards, which is why it's perfect. Ignore the plugins and skins. Just the base program.

SweetVermouth

Banned
Mar 5, 2018
I'm still using Winamp for chiptunes. Winamp + Chipamp = GOAT chiptune player.

I could use foobar but god damn I want something easy to install and have a dark skin. Don't even try to argue against this foobar users. I do not care about outdated pre packaged releases or 10 step manuals that want me to download additional shit like columns ui and shit.

Paertan

Oct 28, 2017
Still use it for MP3:s or CD:s. But that is rarely since I mostly use Spotify.
Glad to see some updated though :) Would love to se and interaction to Spotify. Spotify + Equalizer + Party Mode (only queuing songs) would be great.

Zulith

Oct 25, 2017
West Coast, USA
I'm happy with MusicBee and Spotify (I still check in on foobar2000 every now and again too), was a Winamp die-hard for many years though. I'm not sure what place Winamp has in today's ecosystem... but if they can win people back, I'll be there.

What I loved about the Winamp community was all the cool extensions and skins people made for it. Hopefully it's a robust platform that can lure those creatives in because that's what gives the software it's life.

There used to be some REALLY cool content on Winamp's built-in video streaming feature too. Most of it was unlicensed obviously, but it was still an awesome feature that I really miss. There was a stream that just showed Sifl & Olly episodes nonstop, stuff like that.

Irminsul

Oct 25, 2017
I love Winamp and have used it for a very long time. Unfortunately, I'm now really used to having Spotify and use streaming clients in my flat as well, so Winamp doesn't get as much use as it once did.

It still has the best implementation of a "Now Playing" playlist there is, however. Spotify's, especially, is an unholy abomination. Yes, Spotify, I do want to listen to some tracks I added a while ago but never listened to after the first track of an album I just started. That totally makes sense.

ioriyagami

Oct 28, 2017
I still use Winamp, everything else I tried feels like a bloated piece of adware for a tiny fraction of its features...

SweetVermouth

Banned
Mar 5, 2018
All I want from Winamp 6 is a new clear skin and improved, automatic replaygain support/calculation aswell as support for the plugins from older versions. I would actually switch back from MusicBee to Winamp then because MusicBee doesn't play chiptunes.

I will never understand how people can use VLC for listening to audio... Like... Do you just open explorer, double click every song you want to play? Or use the awful playlist of VLC? And then for me Spotify isn't an alternative either because that thing doesn't even support FLAC.

Deleted member 9305

Oct 26, 2017
All I want from Winamp 6 is a new clear skin and improved, automatic replaygain support/calculation aswell as support for the plugins from older versions. I would actually switch back from MusicBee to Winamp then because MusicBee doesn't play chiptunes.

I will never understand how people can use VLC for listening to audio... Like... Do you just open explorer, double click every song you want to play? Or use the awful playlist of VLC? And then for me Spotify isn't an alternative either because that thing doesn't even support FLAC.
Check out XMPlay, free, lean, great plugins and constant updateshttp://support.xmplay.com/

hjort

Nov 9, 2017
Never stopped using Winamp. Will be keeping an eye on this development for sure, but I'm not overly interested in all the modernized aspects of it. I like the old crap.