Loud Wrong

Feb 24, 2020
People talking down financing options should take a look at the reality of many Covid-affected economies.

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
Manmademan You said Microsoft wouldn't launch the Series S this year. Thoughts on this develoment?

Is there any reason all of us have to watch you try to incite a pointless tit for tat here?

People talking down financing options should take a look at the reality of many Covid-affected economies.

In most cases, they are really bad for the end consumer.

Microsoft is going all in for next gen. I foresee them dominating the market

Well that'd be a Switch for sure.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Is impossible that the PS5 will cost more than $499?

Vinc

Oct 25, 2017
I'm still sticking with $499/$549.

If there's a $100 difference between physical and digital editions, it means that the physical edition only exists to make digital seem like better value; because that's certainly not representative of costs.

It's not how any of this works.

$100 less would be aggressive, and would be Sony subsidizing the box because they lock you into their digital ecosystem. They don't price the digital edition to be profitable off hardware alone. Hell, they don't even do that on the base model.

The digital edition is a trojan horse for locking users to the PlayStation Store, which turns said customers into highly profitable ones by comparison. And it also has the secondary purpose of providing a cheaper entry point into the next-generation, to support Sony's goal of transitioning people to next-gen at a faster rate than prior. It has a dual reason to be subsidized, and so it is.

PRrambo_

PlayStation.jif
Oct 25, 2017
Thank you leakers the nightmare is almost at its end. Im guessing Sony follows suit in a week. Hopefully.

Deleted member 42055

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 12, 2018
I don't think anyone wanted $599 but with SSDs and COVID and all this craziness, some people might have just been a bit pessimistic (including myself at times). Good to see a $499 ceiling.

For sure And yea I was jk but idk.. at times I think some people really wanted to be right more than anything with that pricing, they got very very digging their heels in over it for some reason. Anyway moot point now, $599 felt like nonsense and I'm glad it turned out to be

Jtrizzy

Nov 13, 2017
Kind of interested to see how they do the financing with the various retailers. I would assume it's a good deal on the game service, considering you can get 0% interest on hardware already.

MercuryLS

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I hope they bring the all access pricing to Canada. I'd be down for that, he'll I might go the the x.

kauec

Chicken Chaser
Dec 27, 2017
Brazil
We are totally getting a $399 Digital/$449 Standard PS5. It's the price point that makes the most sense.

ReturnOfThaMack88

Alt-Account
Banned
May 30, 2020
I am so unsure of what to do nextgen lol. That $299 is so tempting to be set for a few years and save myself a LOT of money with games pass.

I am literally torn between PS5, Series S, and a 3080...Right now i'm giving a LOT of thought into going with a Series S and then jumping in later with an eventual PS5 Pro. I just don't know if i can go 2-3 years without playstation tho. If PS5 does come in at $399 then i think i just go with that from the jump.

Shrennin

Oct 25, 2017

Honestly, it's smart but I also worried that because the financing options were there that the price would be higher than expected - at least for Series X. Glad to see that's not the case and this is really just another access point for people.

The Emperor

Oct 25, 2017
Wow I might actually get the Xbox Series S + PS5 (the one with disc slot).

$299 price point is so tempting

dmr87

Oct 27, 2017
Sweden
UNLEASH THE PRE-ORDERS

Hooold onnn where's my credit card

nSDroa3.gif

Vinc

Oct 25, 2017
700 instead of 1000 to get both next-gen consoles sure makes digital seem like an enticing option.

But I'm getting a PS5 physical and a Series X physical at launch (provided the Series X has launch games up its sleeve still)

zombiejames

Oct 25, 2017
$499 USD right now would be a $649 Canadian price tag. With sales tax in Ontario that would push it to $740. That's... a lot still.

TheClaw7667

Oct 25, 2017
I wasn't planning on buying an Xbox console as I just built a new PC but that price on the S is tempting just for the backward compatibility option.

Apollo

Corrupted by Vengeance
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I think I'll get Series S at launch because I'm so desperate for a Game Pass machine, and then grab the PS5 sometime within the following year or two as a more powerful option, depending on when something comes out for it that I really want to play. I'm definitely liking having a cheaper entry system.

JackEtc

Oct 28, 2017
NYC
$25 a month for an S and gamepass ultimate? That's insane

I have a brand new PC and pay for PC gemepass, but if the pandemic ends and I leave the house again I'd want xcloud, ultimate is $15 a month, at that point why not just get the S along with it?

Cake Boss

Oct 25, 2017
So wait, you can get this by paying $35 monthly for about 14-15 months and it will give you the console plus xbox game pass? This can't be right.

They better bring this to Canada when this shit is gonna cost $650 outright.

Keith Stat

Oct 25, 2017
Prices are great! This is all exciting!

But it's f'n hilarious that after ALL the weirdness between Sony and Microsoft with revealing any information, that this is being "revealed" at 11:30ish pm on Labor Day night.

Edit: Fully expecting $399 digital and $499 standard for PS5 now. Really happy that Microsoft put this "pressure" on Playstation.

evilalien

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 27, 2017
The custom PS5 SSD is the most expensive part next gen of everything

It really isn't. It has a custom controller that they designed in house and uses the same flash mem as the XSX SSD. Since it uses less chips (only 825GB), it probably costs about the same.

StrifeAzure

Nov 5, 2017
The All-Access is like a monthly payment plan? if so for how many months? what would the final cost be (if any) over just buying it upfront?

Solace

Dog's Best Friend
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Ok, at the risk of sounding stupid since everyone seems to be TOTALLY OK with that, Why would PS5 be more expensive to build than X when X is more powerful than PS5?!
Is the SSD in PS5 that big of a different price-wise?