• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 1849

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
... why?

My first thought was "wow, this reminds me of Painkiller." WTF is up with all these Souls comparisons? Did ANYONE play Painkiller?

Painkiller never sold that well. The biggest audience it got was on PC and this is a console centric forum so...

Plus it seems like comparisons with Souls is just par the course for all sorts of games nowadays. Anything dark fantasy or difficult. It's weird.

Last edited:

Forsaken82

Oct 27, 2017
... why?

My first thought was "wow, this reminds me of Painkiller." WTF is up with all these Souls comparisons? Did ANYONE play Painkiller?

It's the general world aesthetic I think that gives the Souls vibe to people. which is not wrong. It's very dark fantasy is semi lush - gothic environments.

Also, I really wish the gamergate stuff could be left out of these posts. Boycot the game on your own time, don't diminish other peoples opinions of the game because you have a strong opinion about someone. I see a lot of "Gamergate guy, no buy for me... shame" Why even make a post? It serves no other purpose than to derail the point of the thread which should be about the game, not actions of a single person.

nillansan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Denmark
That sounds serious. How did he "drive a war" against FemReq?

It's easy to rile up your army of basement dwellers online, Twitter has all the necessary tools for that.

I'm so glad I don't even know what Gamergate is.

Nah, you should stay informed, Gamer Gate is a movement largely made up by white men who also happens to dwell in the basement of their parents. They are gamers, not because they don't have a life, but because they hate women and minorities.

Last edited:

Hopping_Mad

User banned for use of alt account
Banned
Nov 13, 2017
Australia
Is this going to be like the old forum where all threads are flooded with the "im not buying this" posts, and then the passive aggressive comments against people still buying the game devolve into "im not saying you support racism, sexism, BUT" because that made the old forum a horrible place to talk about certain games.

Id hope that we would grow up during the transition to the new forum.

Morbius

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This game took me by suprise last night, kinda reminds me of that game we were supposed to get from Deep Silver that got put on ice. The name is escaping me at the moment.

SeventhEvil

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They got what they wanted out of me with that trailer.

"This looks good...way to good to be realti.....oh ok that's why...but oh man...oh..."

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
There may be more complicated cases, but after the amount of publicity Chmielarz got and the amount of years that have passed since then (also, Ethan Carter will have boosted your resume significantly), I don't think it's unreasonable to hold them, as a studio, responsible for the public persona of their representative.

I'm actually not sure if we can assume the people working there even know about this, to be fair to them. Even ignoring how people here don't seem to have heard about it, the studio is also Polish and I have no idea if any attention on what he said spread outside of English-speaking US-centric Twitter communities.

He certainly represents the company though, particularly as he co-founded it, and that's enough to make it so I personally don't want to support the game.

He personally harassed journalists? What did he say? I'm still trying to dig up anything he did that was actually damaging. And so far all I can find are "I don't think GG is 100% made up of terrible people." Which seems to be the case for a few other people in the gaming industry that thought gamergate was about something else at first and thought the harassment stuff was only the result of a few dissenters. But if he was personally ACTIVE in the movement, then that's shameful. Still trying to find evidence of that, though.

Please understand that I'm not trying to obscure anything or make unprovable claims when I say the following: this all happened 2+ years ago now. It's really hard to dig up specific tweets someone made that far back, particularly when a lot of it was mainly tweeting images of tweets made by journalists and such with commentary that's generic enough that it'd hard to search for specifically. I totally understand that's not very satisfying, but it is what it is.

All I can do without wasting a ton of time digging through years old tweets is just say that this happened and I saw it happen; he participated in the movement himself by going after journalists and critics.

Bán

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
"People love the Dark Souls/Bloodborne aesthetic"
"People love shooting things"
"Hmmm...."

Sometimes I wonder why it takes so long for someone to make such obvious ideas. But better late than never - looks incredible.

I can't be the only one thinking this:

78_17886_0_Darkwatch.jpg
Nope, that is the one i also got vibes from. Such a same Darkwatch 2 got canned, it did look promising.

To reiterate Nibel's post from before: you can voice your disinterest in the game or your discomfort with Adrian Chmielarz, but don't try to actively shut down discussion on the game, as many other professionals are pouring their souls into it, and people are free to make their own decisions regarding their game purchases.

On the other hand, stop reporting and antagonizing people who simply want to voice those concerns: its creator's political views are intrinsically part of the project, and we will not silence people who have issues with those views. If you want to talk about the game itself and not about Adrian Chmielarz, simply stop quoting the people talking about it.

If anyone tries to shut down discussion from this post onwards, short bans will start being handed out.
I should express a public apology for being part of it and also reporting posts. It was a bit too onesided from my end, and just me being agitated that some posts were only talking about the GG part and nothing else, which felt silly.

Painkiller was great. This looks like a spiritual successor.
Unironically, Painkiller had a bunch of standalone expansions, some with improved graphics, there is a Unreal Engine 3 remake on PC, PS360, and The Farm 51, also made up by ex-Painkiller devs, made Necrovision and Necrovision: Lost Company. Definitely overlooked PC titles that also have this unique style to them.

... why?

The Dark Souls influence is likely because of the rather grimm, dark neo gothic ambiance that Witchfire also shows.

Painkiller never sold that well. The biggest audience it got was on PC and this is a console centric forum so...

Plus it seems like comparisons with Souls is just par the course for all sorts of games nowadays. Anything dark fantasy or difficult. It's weird.
Painkiller did have a shit-ton of standalone contact for it, and an Xbox port with Hell Wars, and a remake even. They really supported that IP for a lot longer than was feasible i guess.

Yeah that was the game, that was the vibe I got.
That is indeed also a good title that looks similar to it :)

GinoFelino

Oct 27, 2017
I should express a public apology for being part of it and also reporting posts. It was a bit too onesided from my end, and just me being agitated that some posts were only talking about the GG part and nothing else, which felt silly.
Alright man, good on you for owning up to it. I understand it can feel tiresome to discuss more serious matters, but unfortunately sometimes the politics of the creator are too prominent to leave out of the discussion of the end result.

Their concerns are perfectly justified and it's easy to take a dismissive stance when the matter doesn't impact you.
Oh wow, way to point fingers fellow ERA user. If you actually are bothered about my stance, you could read up on the various comments in this thread without resorting to this. For one thing, i dont agree with the co-owners view's either.

Alright man, good on you for owning up to it. I understand it can feel tiresome to discuss more serious matters, but unfortunately sometimes the politics of the creator are too prominent to leave out of the discussion of the end result.
I think the way i got so riled up about it is how the post that caused the ''spark'' literally had zero points talking about the thread and the game itself. It just took a completely different angle altogether, and its an angle that has been discussed so incredibly often that even now, you have users be like ''Im glad i dont know what it is about''.

Perhaps i was just really naive and just wanted a fun thread discussing the game instead of having to talk about this incredibly tiring, complex topic again where every post was about that aspect and not about the game itself. Alas, im only human, after all.

Don't put the blame on me. JK.

nillansan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Denmark
Oh wow, way to point fingers fellow ERA user. If you actually are bothered about my stance, you could read up on the various comments in this thread without resorting to this. For one thing, i dont agree with the co-owners view's either.

I did read up on your dismissive posts prior to posting, which is exactly why I wrote what I did. Oh wow.

I did read up on your dismissive posts prior to posting, which is exactly why I wrote what I did. Oh wow.
Well if you actually read them, i also apologized for coming in too strongly in this topic to certain users. Too excessive finger pointing is also not a good thing to have, and i am sure you can relate to that given your posts in this thread and others.

nillansan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Denmark
Well if you actually read them, i also apologized for coming in too strongly in this topic to certain users.

Kind of a non-apology as you're still pushing that dismissive bullshit in your so-called apology.

Too excessive finger pointing is also not a good thing to have.

Well, when it's justified, it's pretty awesome.

I am sure you can relate to that given your posts in this thread and others.

I can't (see the bolded bit above).

Kind of a non-apology as you're still pushing that dismissive bullshit in your so-called apology.
I feel by now you are just posting to get a rise out of me and sadly im not the only person if i have to look at your post history (Which i hate to do, by the way. I rather converse people on their own merits. These and similar topics seem to be a pet peeve of yours.) so i think im going to end that here.

Anyways, to remove all the ''dismissive bullshit'' out of the way, once more, i apologize to any user for coming in too strongly with regards to the GG bit. Additional reasoning is found in the original apology.

If you can't relate to what i just pointed out, well, i am not going to convince you otherwise obviously.

Last edited:

Siresly

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
If you don't want to talk about a specific thing relevant to this game, then don't talk about that thing? Attempting to dictate what others should talk about is just weird unless you're a mod.

It was a good trailer, the fakeout got me, well done.
I never got into Painkiller, never liked the whole Serious Sam style of horde gameplay or that hokey art direction. So I appreciate that this looks more like Ethan Carter, kind of, more grounded.
If it plays similar to a Bulletstorm 2, this might be something I could get into. But probably won't because of Chmielarz' support of Gamergate, which as far as I'm aware is not something he has retracted or made any sort of amends for.

Last edited:

nillansan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Denmark
I feel by now you are just posting to get a rise out of me.

I am not.

Sadly im not the only person if i have to look at your post history.

Call a spade a spade.

Which i hate to do, by the way. I rather converse people on their own merits.

I am not judging, I think it is a perfectly reasonable thing to do, my post history does give you a rough idea of what my belief set is made up by, which in actuality gives you a better basis to engage and converse, on the other hand, compartmentalising statements made by an individual on a thread by thread basis, judging them each as isolated incidents as you seem to prefer but unsurprisingly fail to practice, does not seem meaningful or even feasible.

These and similar topics seem to be a pet peeve of yours.

I don't consider them a pet peeve, I choose to engage in such topics as the subject matter either directly or indirectly affects me and people I hold dear.

Anyways, to remove all the ''dismissive bullshit'' out of the way, once more, i apologize to any user for coming in too strongly with regards to the GG bit.

That's fine...

Additional reasoning is found in the original apology.

...but then you keep referring back to your non-apology, if you frame people expressing their perfectly valid concerns as silly, then what value does your apology hold? Nothing. That's not removing the dismissive bullshit, it's restating it.

Hank Hill

Permanently banned for usage of an alt-account.
Oct 25, 2017
This looks so good.Can't wait to see if this was real in game gameplay or not.

R1CHO

Oct 28, 2017
Unironically, Painkiller had a bunch of standalone expansions, some with improved graphics, there is a Unreal Engine 3 remake on PC, PS360, and The Farm 51, also made up by ex-Painkiller devs, made Necrovision and Necrovision: Lost Company. Definitely overlooked PC titles that also have this unique style to them.

IMO, none of those titles and expansions were able to capture the magic of the original... I am very fond of it, maybe a bit of rose tinted glasses, but still.

Accoun

Oct 25, 2017
IMO, none of those titles and expansions were able to capture the magic of the original...

Doesn't help that every single one of the expansions (except Battle Out Of Hell) was farmed out to whoever the publisher could find. None of them really knew what exactly was great about Painkiller.

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
Also, I really wish the gamergate stuff could be left out of these posts. Boycot the game on your own time, don't diminish other peoples opinions of the game because you have a strong opinion about someone. I see a lot of "Gamergate guy, no buy for me... shame" Why even make a post? It serves no other purpose than to derail the point of the thread which should be about the game, not actions of a single person.

Look at it this way:

You live in a town where there is a group of men who constantly leave horrible messages in your mailbox about how your daughter is a whore and they want to run her out of town. Your next door neighbor agrees with them. Your neighbor owns a hamburger stand downtown, and your friends are ranting about how delicious his hamburgers are. Are you going to mention the fact that your neighbor who owns the hamburger stand is an asshole who agrees with a group of people who call your daughter a whore? Or are you going to say nothing about your friends giving money to your asshole neighbor because you think it's irrelevant and you don't want to impede their enjoyment of the hamburgers?

Gamergate has and continues to relentlessly harass friends of mine. The head of the studio who makes this game supports the group that is still harassing my friends.

Last edited:

PaulloDEC

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
Australia
I need to watch more, probably a long video full of bullshots if you ask me, looks interesting

They've said it's "nowhere near complete" and it's going to be "a long time before it's ready", so we may well be seeing mocked up stuff. Then again, it's UE4 using photogrammetry for assets, so I'd believe them if they said it was legit.

Look at it this way:

You live in a town where there is a group of men who constantly leave horrible messages in your mailbox about how your daughter is a whore and they want to run her out of town. Your next door neighbor agrees with them.

Is there really a single, agreed-upon mission statement for people who "support Gamergate" though? I certainly don't agree with... well, really anything I've heard they stand for, but I'm not sure all of them align with the "women are all whores, let's run them out of town" mindset either.

This guy seems more like a self-styled crusader against (perceived) political correctness to me (based on what little I've read).

nillansan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Denmark
Is there really a single, agreed-upon mission statement for people who "support Gamergate" though? I certainly don't agree with... well, really anything I've heard they stand for, but I'm not sure all of them align with the "women are all whores, let's run them out of town" mindset either.

It's a harassment campaign through and through.

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017

This guy seems more like a self-styled crusader against (perceived) political correctness to me (based on what little I've read).

Your neighbor states that he thinks the group harassing your daughter is great and agrees with their reasons for harassing her. How do you interpret that 'stance"? He might just be mad about political correctness?

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017

If you align yourself with the hashtag/name/whatever, you align yourself with that mindset. This was obvious from day 1. He did nothing to go against that, particularly given that he was supporting it almost a year after it started.

And we really can't be doing this at the end of 2017, over 3 years after it started. The mission statement was to drive women, marginalized people, and anyone slightly progressive out of the gaming industry; anyone who used the hashtag was buying into some part of it even if they tried to claim otherwise. There can be no debate over this.

PaulloDEC

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
Australia
It's a harassment campaign through and through.

If you align yourself with the hashtag/name/whatever, you align yourself with that mindset. This was obvious from day 1. He did nothing to go against that, particularly given that he was supporting it almost a year after it started.

And we really can't be doing this at the end of 2017, over 3 years after it started. The mission statement was to drive women, marginalized people, and anyone slightly progressive out of the gaming industry; anyone who used the hashtag was buying into some part of it even if they tried to claim otherwise. There can be no debate over this.

Okay. If I'm asking dumb questions, it's because this subject seems incredibly vast and confusing to someone who hasn't been following it in great detail; it's hard to get a sense of what the movement(?) even is in 2017. I have to believe that for it to have gotten this big that there's more to it than just racism, sexism and trolling, but maybe that's just my naivety showing.

Your neighbor states that he thinks the group harassing your daughter is great and agrees with their reasons for harassing her. How do you interpret that 'stance"? He might just be mad about political correctness?

If Chmielarz's attitudes do align with that, he sounds like an asshole. You'll forgive me if I'm not certain of anything, because it's incredibly difficult to get any straight answers (here, or through other avenues of research) on what the guy has actually done.

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017

In an interview a few months ago he was asked about it, and he said he still stands behind the movement.

It's mind boggling. I mean, he's in charge of a pretty big studio. Are there women that work for him?