OP
OP

Deleted member 721

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is not true at all. How sony did PS3 BC was that they had dedicated hardware for PS1 and PS2 Compatibility. They used Hardware-based compatibility not Software-based compatibility like Microsoft is. If its software-based, they need to negotiate for licensing.
pstv and psvita released using the same list of games of psp for ps1

Nov 8, 2017
Multi generational BC is awesome but not really important. BC to ps4 is reasonably important, but Ps3 and older is comparably niche. It's something I'd love and use (big fan of the x1x for this stuff), but yeah. Even if they do have compatibility with ps1 I doubt they'd have a CD laser anyway. Ps4 already dropped it.

Dant21

Apr 24, 2018
This is not true at all. How sony did PS3 BC was that they had dedicated hardware for PS1 and PS2 Compatibility. They used Hardware-based compatibility not Software-based compatibility like Microsoft is. If its software-based, they need to negotiate for licensing.
No, PS1 compatibility was achieved via a software emulator but PS2 compatibility was indeed hardware based. This is also why only the 20/60/80GB PS3s has PS2 BC and the later models (all models) has PS1 BC.

And why would you even need licensing on a true emulator solution? Microsoft has to do this because you're basically downloading an alternate executable for the game that someone at MS worked on to get running natively on the Xbox One. Polymega, the Analogue FPGA consoles, and PS1 on PS3 all have a true emulator that just runs from the original media of the original game. Nothing has to be modified or made specific to any particular game. None of those solutions license anything.

What would Sony license anyway? They own the platforms and the technology behind them. If you can just stick a game disc in and it goes... What about that instance would require renewed licensing?

Marble

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
PS4 BC would be enough for me personally. I am also not seeing Sony patching up old games for free. They're the market leader, they don't need to win hearts over.

Tregard

Oct 27, 2017
PS3 compatibility feels like a pipe dream, but something that would make the console significantly more appealing to me.

TimFL

Oct 28, 2017
Germany
For anyone still confused by the XSX "Fully Backwards Compatible" bulletpoint (confirmed by several interviews and tweets, google it up):
It's only the XB1 that is fully backwards compatible + the titles in the current XB1 backwards compatibility list. You're not getting every single OG XBox or 360 title on XSX, just the ones that are playable on XB1 at this time.

bane833

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
I feel its more of a hearts and minds battle though.
Microsoft can come out swinging by saying they have compatibility with all previous generations.
And Sony can say....not a lot.
Yeah they can and then? Do you think anyone gives a shit if a new console in 2020 can play 20 year old games?

Tregard

Oct 27, 2017
Just curious: what PS3 games do you want to play so badly? I don't even have enough time for PS4 games and my favorite PS3 games have excellent remasters.

Puppeteer, Tokyo Jungle, MotorStorm: Apocalypse, PSASBR (Don't judge me, I've got a soft spot for it :P) and Portal 2 which inexplicably is still stuck on older consoles. There's also just a sense of wanting to play the stuff I already own without having to buy PS4/5 remasters, especially given my PS3 is now totally kaput.

Serious Sam

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
For anyone still confused by the XSX "Fully Backwards Compatible" bulletpoint (confirmed by several interviews and tweets, google it up):
It's only the XB1 that is fully backwards compatible + the titles in the current XB1 backwards compatibility list. You're not getting every single OG XBox or 360 title on XSX, just the ones that are playable on XB1 at this time.
Thanks for clarification and that's what I figured as well. MS needs to clarify this because a lot of people think XSX is compatible wtih every single Xbox game ever released starting with the OG console.

fourfourfun

Oct 27, 2017
England
Xbox just had to worry about two console gens. The amount of games from the PS1-PS3 gens is daunting. I could see the PS5 having PS4 BC but that's about it.

Idk, being able to play old games on a new console isn't really my main focus when buying a new console. Sure it's neat, but not really must have for me.

This is the first time I've skipped a gen, so having access to PS4 titles would be a big swinger. I would also like to see "boosted" PS3 titles available so my boy could go through some classics. Less fussed about PS1 & PS2 has to be said. Most titles have been remastered that I would want to get my hands on.

If they could do PS3 BC, then a real showcase would be demonstrating a bodge port like Bayonetta being uplifted like with XB1X's Final Fantasy 13 update.

But yeah, it is more knowing the roadmap. I don't necessarily need to have everything available from day one, just an idea that things will come.

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017
Hasn't the disc security on PS1 and PS2 been compromised long ago?

I doubt we'll see physical support for either of those if peeps can just burn their own copies. This would also be a massive security issue if you could just run your own signed software on PS5.

erlim

Oct 26, 2017
London
Sony has the opportunity to completely knock Xbox BC out of the park with the historical libraries they have under them. Even if their engineers aren't up to the task of making PS3/Vita work, PS1/2/Portable should absolutely be a component here with PS5.

It blows my mind the built in advantage they have in this area that's gone utterly wasted on PS4. Same with Nintendo on Switch and the glacial pace of NSO.
I have accepted this as an impossibility. My biggest regret as a gamer is using PlayStation consoles as my main source of gaming.

Sulik2

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
BC should have been installed in the Playstation 4.

Honestly I don't think it was even possible in 2013 to make the PS4 bc with the PS3. It was not powerful enough to emulate it, nor do I think Sony has the software engineering chops to VM the PS3 the way MS did the 360, and you couldnt afford to put the PS3 chip into the ps4. The cell basically guaranteed that the PS3 was going to be an incredibly difficult machine to ever back compat. Not including PS2 and ps1 was egregious though.

ContraWars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Thread title implies there was a BC announcement for the Scarlett.

We knew it was going to be compatible for a long time. We knew the BC team stopped porting to One, so they could focus on next gen.

Iztok

Oct 27, 2017
How about no?

edit: thanks for the title change.

I'm pretty certain that Sony will leverage their extensive history properly with the PS5 by opening the floodgates for BC. I can't imagine a world in which they don't do this, lol. It keeps your invested user base with you.

You seem way too confident in this.

They'll most likely keep PS4 BC because it's basically the same machine going forward to PS5 in terms of architecture.
Their pre-PS4 bc plan has always been charging for ports along with PS Now and that's not likely to change.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Do they? You can play like 40 original Xbox games on Xbone at most.
Currently 41 but the BC Team confirmed they will be growing that list on Series S and they only did original Xbox for about 1.5 years before moving on. They managed 461 BC Xbox games on 360 so there's definitely a lot more they could do.

androvsky

Oct 27, 2017
Hasn't the disc security on PS1 and PS2 been compromised long ago?

I doubt we'll see physical support for either of those if peeps can just burn their own copies. This would also be a massive security issue if you could just run your own signed software on PS5.
Still can't burn in custom disc wobble. Try playing a burned PS1 game on an unmodded PS3.

If Sony is really concerned with security with pressed discs like Gamesharks, they can whitelist known legit Playstation games.

Dec 4, 2017
Brazil
Please do not call it that
18ohlm7r18whljpg.jpg

fourfourfun

Oct 27, 2017
England
You seem way too confident in this.

They'll most likely keep PS4 BC because it's basically the same machine going forward to PS5 in terms of architecture.
Their pre-PS4 bc plan has always been charging for ports along with PS Now and that's not likely to change.

PS3 is the big question mark. It needs the most work in adapting. PS2 could more than likely be brute forced. Allowing Vita would be an incredibly curve-ball.

TrishaCat

Oct 26, 2017
United States
Backwards compatibility is great but it'd be *really* great if the backwards compatible games ran better than on their original hardware.
I don't wanna play PS2 games at 480p anymore if I can avoid it.
That said the main reason I don't own a PS4 yet is because I'm hoping this upcoming Playstation supports PS4 games.

Iztok

Oct 27, 2017
Backwards compatibility is great but it'd be *really* great if the backwards compatible games ran better than on their original hardware.
That said the main reason I don't own a PS4 yet is because I'm hoping this upcoming Playstation supports PS4 games.

Especially since I can play my PS2 games on PC at 4k now.
If they bother with BC, I hope it's enchanced BC.
But whatever they do will be a step up.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
That how it is on Xbox. Games run higher resolution and better performance generally, it's almost like having built in remasters.

McFly

Nov 26, 2017
PlayStation consoles set the standard for BC.
1. PS2 was BC with PS1
2. PS3 was BC with PS2, PS1,
3. PSP was BC with PS1,
4. PS Vita was BC with PSP and PS1.

PS4 was the odd console out of all Sony consoles.

I'd wager PS5 will be BC with PS4 disc, PS2, PS1 PSN downloads at least but I can't say PS3 for sure.

Just curious: what PS3 games do you want to play so badly? I don't even have enough time for PS4 games and my favorite PS3 games have excellent remasters.

Not the person you quoted but these are the ones I really want:

Crysis Trilogy
Dead Space Trilogy
Mass Effect Trilogy
Metal Gear Solid The Legacy Collection
Folklore
3D Dot Game Heroes
Puppeteer
Singularity
Wolfenstein(2009)
Ratchet & Clank Collection
Ratchet & Clank Future Tools of Destruction+Crack in Time
Prince of Persia(2008)
Star Wars the Force Unleashed
Resistance Collection
Castlevania Lords of Shadow

monketron

Oct 27, 2017
PlayStation consoles set the standard for BC.
1. PS2 was BC with PS1
2. PS3 was BC with PS2, PS1,
3. PSP was BC with PS1,
4. PS Vita was BC with PSP and PS1.

PS4 was the odd console out of all Sony consoles.

I'd wager PS5 will be BC with PS4 disc, PS2, PS1 PSN downloads at least but I can't say PS3 for sure.

In the UK the OG PS3 didn't have BC as they had to drop the PS2 hardware from it due to cost constraints.

Durden

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The fact that the first page is riddled with people in distress over the XseX label makes me wanna use it so, so much more. It's also easier to say out loud.

Anyway yeah, BC is pretty much my main concern this coming gen. If PS5 isn't fully backwards compatible I will not be eager to get it at all.

Dimajjio

Oct 13, 2019
It seems to me that PS3 will be dead in the water in a few years anyway. When you get the PS4 down to a lower price at the release of the PS5, all those countries (such as Brazil) that are still using PS3 will upgrade and the number of active users will diminish further. I won't be surprised if Sony doesn't just kill off PS3 PSN totally and you won't be able to log in to it nor retrieve any of your purchases. I expect to see a lot of PS3 > PS5 remasters coming.

SolidSnakeUS

Oct 25, 2017
In the UK the OG PS3 didn't have BC as they had to drop the PS2 hardware from it due to cost constraints.

BC of the PS2 died with the PS3 iterations after the MGS4 version. The MGS4 bundled console was the last one to support PS2 games. Also, good luck having to properly emulate the PS3 on the given hardware of the original PS4. CELL was powerful for it's time but extremely complicated. Trying to make CELL developed programs work directly with x86 architecture is asking a lot. While PS3 emulation on PC has come a long way, it has taken years to get this far, and it's still not perfect. I would love to have BC for the PS5 to play all previous systems, but the PS3 would easily be the most difficult one to do due to processing power, instructions issues, and architecture issues.

At least that's how I see it.

Side thing, the original PS3s are the only ones that I believe have the EMOTION chip from the PS2, which is why they worked fine. And then after that it was all emulation, which worked fine as well. So emulating the PS2 and PS1 should be an easy task for the PS4 and PS5, but they won't do it.

Rowsdower

Shinra Employee of The Wise Ones
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
All I want is all my PS4 games (physical and digital) to work on the PS5. Other gens are a pipe dream.

LuigiMario

Oct 28, 2017
Honestly I'd be surprised if Sony even nails PS4 BC on PS5. Anything beyond that would be gravy. I think if they do anything for PS1-PS3, it will be remasters/remakes for PS5.