Status
Not open for further replies.

PhoncipleBone

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Kentucky, USA
This is ResetEra's weekend box office thread. While the OP focuses on the popular weekend tallies, we typically discuss box office throughout the week as well when notable films are playing. New threads are posted each Sunday morning, between 8-10am PST.

Ex4Rz8d.png

w4IAwyq.png

YRlyzah.png

r9cSV7K.png

fCzgC7Q.png

While it's been widely forecasted that 2020 will be a down year at the box office due to less Disney franchise IP on the schedule, the first weekend of the year looks to clear an estimated $143.6M, which is lower than what we were seeing yesterday due to the fact that Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker's third weekend is slightly lower with a industry estimate of $34.2M, down from the $37M+ Friday midday figure. Disney is calling the weekend at $33.7M. Still the first weekend of 2020 is a tad up over the same period a year ago by +3%. Skywalker's total per Disney is at $450.8M, 13% behind Last Jedi which had already crossed the half billion mark by its 17th day of release. Again, the 17th day of release for Last Jedi happened to be New Year's Eve in its run. Saturday was up for Skywalker over Friday with $14.3M, +30%, just not as high as many were hoping. Some believe that Skywalker can still make it to $600M, but could be shorter than that. Global for Skywalker now stands at $919M and will become Disney's 7th pic from 2019 to cross the $1 billion mark.

As the first release of the decade and 2020, Screen Gems/Sony's The Grudge didn't cut it with an 'F' CinemaScore and an opening at the lower end of its industry projections of $11.3M — the lowest take ever in Sony's reboots of the Japanese horror series; the 2004 Sarah Michelle Gellar version having a spectacular 3-day of $39.1M and the 2006 sequel opening to $20.8M. Unfortunately, another attempted wet blanket remake from the Sony library following last year's Charlie's Angels and Men in Black International. I hear from sources that The Grudge cost more than $10M, around $12M-$14M and at that level could lose money.

DOMESTIC WEEKEND BOX OFFICE

*Click the chart to view the full source

WORLDWIDE BOX OFFICE UPDATES

#ReleaseTheJJCut

e1wH4Dr.png

Weekend Box Office Archive and Appendix

hodayathink

Oct 25, 2017
Little Women is now the highest grossing movie of Saoirse Ronan's career domestically, passing Grand Budapest Hotel.

SerAardvark

Oct 25, 2017
Some of Deadline's commentary on Rise of Skywalker has been downright bizarre in its positivity, both in terms of forecasts and also some of their "insight".

Some believe that Skywalker can still make it to $600M, but could be shorter than that.

Who the hell thinks it has another $150 million in it? TLJ only had a little over $100 million more in it and ROS has been performing worse...

VinylCassette64

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I know there are some fans of the American series (heck, I actually recall seeing the first two theatrical films at some point) but I'm really puzzled that someone at Sony felt The Grudge series even had any pull for a reboot, much less a theatrical one (there was a third film for the American series that went straight to video).

Oct 26, 2017
I still haven't seen Frozen 2. Maybe I should get on that. I forgot I liked part 1 a little bit because of how much I was bombarded with Let it Go after it came out, to the point of me hating it.

FTF

Oct 28, 2017
New York
"Skywalker falls" and yet it's still the #1 movie?

lol you already know what the narrative is around here for TROS. Only difference is now that it's at $450m dom and $920m ww there won't be anymore omg under $500m dom and $1b ww posts. I'm just glad I enjoyed all three ST movies and can avoid all the ridiculous TLJ v TROS petty nonsense going on.

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
"Skywalker falls" and yet it's still the #1 movie?

Rogue One is probably going to do more money than the grand finale of the Skywalker saga and even if it passes it the movie is well below The Last Jedi despite 3rd films historically bringing in much more money than the second.

If you think Disney is going to be all
FlatIdealisticBoaconstrictor-size_restricted.gif

I have a bridge to sell you.

Fintendo

Jun 5, 2019
Jumanji: The Next Level legs, looking forward to sequel, was a fun movie! Haven't seen Knives Out yet but glad an original movie is doing well!

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I was supposed to post this earlier in the week. But new years and illness prevented it. I got all the numbers up for December 31st though, so this is the (Almost) final chart of 2019 Disney Grosses.

This was the results as of December 31st 11:59 pm UTC, so like, the very last minute of 2019.

0Wjk8ia.jpg

Almost final because I'm sure there's gonna be some fudge to account, like how Endgame is suddenly a $2.8Bn film now because of China.

So, 2020 chart? I'm thinking about it, and it won't start until the first big Disney Release of the year (Which will be Mulan in March). Holdovers will be easily to calculate next year since I have a chart showing how much each had at the end of the year.

That said, it's going to take a lot of lifting from China to reach last years insane total.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
All rise for your queen

It's worth noting though that most sources still consider the 2019 Lion King to be an animated film, so it's not clear if Frozen really "won" or not.

SweetNicole

The Old Guard
Oct 24, 2017

Saucycarpdog

Oct 25, 2017
Sony really needs to find better IP to reboot. After MiB International and Charlie's Angels, they can't seem to reboot right.

Schlorgan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Salt Lake City, Utah
Rogue One is probably going to do more money than the grand finale of the Skywalker saga and even if it passes it the movie is well below The Last Jedi despite 3rd films historically bringing in much more money than the second.

If you think Disney is going to be all
FlatIdealisticBoaconstrictor-size_restricted.gif

I have a bridge to sell you.
The brand is extremely healthy overall.

So not an absolute win, but not a disaster.

Star Wars will be fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.