Not open for further replies.
OP
OP
PhoncipleBone

PhoncipleBone

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Kentucky, USA
Only film to have a worse drop than Skywalker this week was Black Christmas, and it took it losing about 3/4ths of its screens to fall that hard.

Of course, Black Christmas doesn't deserve to make any money because it was fucking awful.

ContractHolder

Jack of All Streams
Oct 25, 2017
I was supposed to post this earlier in the week. But new years and illness prevented it. I got all the numbers up for December 31st though, so this is the (Almost) final chart of 2019 Disney Grosses.

This was the results as of December 31st 11:59 pm UTC, so like, the very last minute of 2019.

0Wjk8ia.jpg

Almost final because I'm sure there's gonna be some fudge to account, like how Endgame is suddenly a $2.8Bn film now because of China.

So, 2020 chart? I'm thinking about it, and it won't start until the first big Disney Release of the year (Which will be Mulan in March). Holdovers will be easily to calculate next year since I have a chart showing how much each had at the end of the year.

That said, it's going to take a lot of lifting from China to reach last years insane total.

Appreciate all the work you did. I enjoyed looking at this regularly.

DeltaRed

Apr 27, 2018
Rogue One is probably going to do more money than the grand finale of the Skywalker saga and even if it passes it the movie is well below The Last Jedi despite 3rd films historically bringing in much more money than the second.

If you think Disney is going to be all
FlatIdealisticBoaconstrictor-size_restricted.gif

I have a bridge to sell you.
Some people are stuck 15 years in the past where a billion was some ungodly run and not something hit by trash like Transformers and Minions. Disney will see it as a failure.

Mcfrank

Oct 28, 2017
The brand is extremely healthy overall.

So not an absolute win, but not a disaster.

Star Wars will be fine.
Simultaneous disappointment from Rise of Skywalker and Star Wars also being the biggest thing on TV for the Fall. Strange times, but anyone implying Star Wars is struggling overall is just silly. This movie was a disappointment and is performing like one. Star Wars overall is fine.

A new Grudge film was a safe-ish bet, since it wasn't particularly expensive to make and there's some (not a lot) of brand recognition that could get some folks out to make it a worthwhile venture. That said, the J-horror boom has long since passed, now relegated to successful one-offs that aren't part of a larger trend, so there wasn't much of a wagon for this one to hitch this new film onto to sell the "mystique," such as it is. It is kinda funny to see it get an F CinemaScore based on what sounds like an apocalyptic ending, since that's kind of the MO for the series.

DeathyBoy

Oct 29, 2017
Under my Hela Hela
Simultaneous disappointment from Rise of Skywalker and Star Wars also being the biggest thing on TV for the Fall. Strange times, but anyone implying Star Wars is struggling overall is just silly. This movie was a disappointment and is performing like one. Star Wars overall is fine.

It's also worth noting every other studio on the planet would be giddy for this kind of box office for their franchises.

jayu26

Oct 25, 2017
A new Zorro movie that's basically a remake of Mask of Zorro but with Benderas in the Hopkins role and Ana De Armas in the Benderas role.
Considering Sony is throwing everything at the wall to see what sticks, they might actually do this. Except instead of getting Lord and Miller to produce/direct it they will get a C rate director. It's always a monkey's paw thing with Sony.

Tace

Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
The Rapscallion
Was going to see The Grudge because I saw Raimi was producer on it but then the reviews hit...should've seen it coming since they dropped it in Jan

chezzymann

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That title is wrong, Lion King is the biggest animated film ever. Objectively. It's classified as live action but that's objectively wrong. Just because the art style is realistic doesn't mean it's not animated.

Meows

Oct 28, 2017
That title is wrong, Lion King is the biggest animated film ever. Objectively. It's classified as live action but that's objectively wrong. Just because the art style is realistic doesn't mean it's not animated.
There is a reason the Golden Globes nominated it for Best Animated Feature. Down with Disney's fake news!

Meg Cherry

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
The brand is extremely healthy overall.

So not an absolute win, but not a disaster.

Star Wars will be fine.
I don't exactly see how this is "extremely healthy". They just ended their core saga on a widely disliked film that will be the lowest grossing of the saga's modern entries.

I agree that Star Wars will be fine, but that will only happen due to major behind the scenes changes inspired by this underperformance.

Disney didn't buy Star Wars to make one film every two years that limps past $1B.

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica

Yeah, this is correct.

But absolutely no one here has implied that Star Wars as a brand is in trouble...

TheZjman

Banned
Nov 22, 2018
Knives Out, sheesh. Well deserved. What a hold. Any reason for this other than great WOM?

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's also worth noting every other studio on the planet would be giddy for this kind of box office for their franchises.

It's all relative, though. No studio would be giddy for a film franchise where each installment consistently makes hundreds of millions of dollars less than the one before it. It doesn't matter how much revenue Apple or Tesla make, if they turn in an earnings report that they made less money than last year, their investors will be unhappy. No company wants to invest money into a brand that is visibly bleeding cash with every passing year.

The question, then, is whether Disney thinks they can stop the bleeding, and obviously they do as they are investing big into other movies and shows. So we'll see where things go in a couple years.

Deleted member 2426

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
People finally realizing Star Wars movies have been usually bad? Shocking.

I'd say that out of the big 3 (LOTR, Potter) SW is easily the worst franchise.

Arc

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I just don't see how Disney can look at TRoS's run as in any way good. It's not flopping, but it's had a disappointing box office run considering the marketing push.

Peru

Oct 26, 2017
People finally realizing Star Wars movies have been usually bad? Shocking.

I'd say that out of the big 3 (LOTR, Potter) SW is easily the worst franchise.

That's.. not what anyone's realizing. Also odd to compare a long running movie franchise with two limited series of book adaptions.

Deleted member 17388

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't see Star Wars growing internationally at all. But maybe Disney doesn't care and just want to focus on the United States market?

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I want to say I'm surprised that we once again have people here thinking Disney is happy that the GRAND FINALE OF THE SKYWALKER SAGA is gonna struggle to match the gross of one of their spinoff films, but I'm not.

This really is BvS 2.0...

FTF

Oct 28, 2017
New York
I want to say I'm surprised that we once again have people here thinking Disney is happy that the GRAND FINALE OF THE SKYWALKER SAGA is gonna struggle to match the gross of one of their spinoff films, but I'm not.

This really is BvS 2.0...

No one is saying Disney is happy. Many are just pointing out those that don't understand the difference between failure and disappointment.

OP
OP
PhoncipleBone

PhoncipleBone

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Kentucky, USA
We definitely have two or three people who keep popping into these threads to provide misleading commentary suggesting TROS is doing really well.
It is doing well. It just isn't doing as well as it should have compared to the rest of the series. Hence why it is a disappointment.

Now Solo, that was a bomb. There is no spinning that.

IzzyRX