Status
Not open for further replies.

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
The Lego sets won't be back in stock until the last week of the month.

Star Wars is fine.

For years people have claimed that the prequels left the brand dying or some shit despite the fact that they all performed well and prequel games and merch that wasn't Jar Jar did ok

Disney now has one straight up bomb and one BvS-like dissapoitment.

The hyperbole will be strong.

For me, movie Star Wars is in a pinch, but the Star Wars brand is just fine. Mandalorian was literally the Internet's darling not long ago and Fallen Order was a huge success. Even battlefront is now a videogame redemption story with the way they turned it around.

Star Wars as a brand has always been fine

BuckRogers

Apr 5, 2018
Watching football this weekend, I discovered that Bad Boys 3 is coming out in two weeks. I guess those weren't huge file, but I was surprised to see it dumped mid January with very little marketing.

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A Hidden Life doesn't seem to be gaining any traction. I knew it wasn't going to be lighting the box office on fire or anything but it doesn't seem to be expanding (at least in Chicago)

Its a great Terrence Malick film. Highly recommend it.

OP
OP
PhoncipleBone

PhoncipleBone

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Kentucky, USA
It's only week 3 and less than 100 out. I hated the movie but let's go!!!
jrCxdQQ.png

Lion King had a better third weekend than Skywalker and is only $19m behind at the same point. It also had better holds day to day, and had summer weekdays to help from here on out. Skywalker does not.

It is not happening.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
jrCxdQQ.png

Lion King had a better third weekend than Skywalker and is only $19m behind at the same point. It also had better holds day to day, and had summer weekdays to help from here on out. Skywalker does not.

It is not happening.

I'm guessing he was looking at the box office numbers for the original Lion King, which is less than $100 million ahead of TROS.

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
So TROS will cross a billion, but I'm wondering if it gets to 1.1 billion. Will definitely finish below TLJ.

It may even finish below Rogue One.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
So TROS will cross a billion, but I'm wondering if it gets to 1.1 billion. Will definitely finish below TLJ.

It may even finish below Rogue One.

I don't see it having the momentum to cross 1.05B. It's gonna just barely finish over 500 million both domestically and OS.

Finaj

Oct 25, 2017
Off-topic, but boy am I going to get angry if something like Joker gets nominated for BP and Knives Out doesn't.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I can bet 1-1.1B for the "end" of the Skywalker saga is not what Disney had in mind, though it's still putting up good domestic numbers, especially if it has a shot at 600M.

I hope it has an impact on their creative process though.

A Hidden Life doesn't seem to be gaining any traction. I knew it wasn't going to be lighting the box office on fire or anything but it doesn't seem to be expanding (at least in Chicago)

Its a great Terrence Malick film. Highly recommend it.
There's been a lot of chatter that Disney priced out a lot of theaters from carrying it, requiring that it gets their biggest screen and be shown a minimum of three times a day. That's a hell of a commitment to make for smaller theaters that have the clientele that would want to see the film and it's not the kind of film you would get into a multiplex, due to its length. It's a mess, to say the least.

SeroTyler

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Knives out seems like something that's gonna get nominated for everything tbh. I can't imagine it'll take home more than Best Screenplay but I bet it'll do just fine.

hodayathink

Oct 25, 2017
There's been a lot of chatter that Disney priced out a lot of theaters from carrying it, requiring that it gets their biggest screen and be shown a minimum of three times a day. That's a hell of a commitment to make for smaller theaters that have the clientele that would want to see the film and it's not the kind of film you would get into a multiplex, due to its length. It's a mess, to say the least.

I buy them forcing a full screen for it, because they're Disney, but I don't buy it having to be the biggest screen. Mainly because if they weren't gonna do that for Jojo Rabbit, which had a much larger chance to break out than Hidden Life did, then why would they do it for Hidden Life?

Oct 27, 2017
haven't seen star wars yet, but i've seen little women and knives out twice
eh, maybe i'll get around to it this weekend

I buy them forcing a full screen for it, because they're Disney, but I don't buy it having to be the biggest screen. Mainly because if they weren't gonna do that for Jojo Rabbit, which had a much larger chance to break out than Hidden Life did, then why would they do it for Hidden Life?
Jojo Rabbit isn't banking on having powerhouse visuals to drive an audience to it. And again, the bigger issue is that this is a problem for art house theaters than it is for multiplexes, who do need to strategically arrange their showtimes on an almost daily basis to maximize their patronage. Disney using typical booking tactics makes that nearly impossible for those theaters to accommodate.

greengr

Dec 3, 2018
I am wrong to assume that Lion King has the Tim Burtons Alice movie success?A billion plus movie(i know lion king made around 1.5) that despite its box-office success havent left its mark in pop culture at all.Like who likes that movie better than the original?Same thing can be said about Beauty and the Beast if you compare it to Frozen.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
I am wrong to assume that Lion King has the Tim Burtons Alice movie success?A billion plus movie(i know lion king made around 1.5) that despite its box-office success havent left its mark in pop culture at all.Like who like that movie better than the original?Same thing can be said about Beauty and the Beast if you compare it to Frozen.

You can't really leave a mark on pop culture if you're just a 1:1 remake of a 25 year old movie.

JeTmAn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
In a year where a three hour-long movie just became the all-time highest grossing film, I don't think that a 2h15m film is particularly unbearable.

But there are so many girls in it doing girl things...I don't think anyone even gets punched once! You can't expect audiences to sit through that.

Status
Not open for further replies.