Status
Not open for further replies.

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
No one is saying Disney is happy. Many are just pointing out those that don't understand the difference between failure and disappointment.
Let's be real, there are a number of people who've been determinedly fatalistic about the SW franchise ever since they saw the last movie when it was revealed Luke hadn't been training to be a Super Saiyan Jedi for thirty years, Poe got shut down by a purple-haired woman for being a moron or because they gave Finn an Asian gal pal.

And before anyone says anything, no, that does not mean if you didn't like TLJ that I'm automatically lumping you in with that crowd.

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
What worries me is not TROS "damaging the franchise" because that won't happen. I'm worried about suits meddling more and more with future films.

If some dumb campaign of youtube videos calling TLJ a "Cinematic Failure" was enough for them to lose faith in its 90% RT, A Cinemascore, 1.3 Billion dollar movie and be ok with retconning the fuck out of it...

Then what's in store for movies after TROS?

Mcfrank

Oct 28, 2017
What worries me is not TROS "damaging the franchise" because that won't happen. I'm worried about suits meddling more and more with future films.

If some dumb campaign of youtube videos calling TLJ a "Cinematic Failure" was enough for them to lose faith in its 90% RT, A Cinemascore, 1.3 Billion dollar movie to be ok with retconning the fuck out of it...

Good point. Hopefully they are smart enough to not take the wrong lessons from it.

Dec 12, 2017

If some dumb campaign of youtube videos calling TLJ a "Cinematic Failure" was enough for them to lose faith in its 90% RT, A Cinemascore, 1.3 Billion dollar movie and be ok with retconning the fuck out of it...

Depends on who is in the Creative braintrust going forward.

FTF

Oct 28, 2017
New York
Let's be real, there are a number of people who've been determinedly fatalistic about the SW franchise ever since they saw the last movie when it was revealed Luke hadn't been training to be a Super Saiyan Jedi for thirty years, Poe got shut down by a purple-haired woman for being a moron or because they gave Finn an Asian gal pal.

And before anyone says anything, no, that does not mean if you didn't like TLJ that I'm automatically lumping you in with that crowd.

Sure, but none of those people are here (or if they are it's an extremely low # not worth acknowledging) yet many of Era are responding to the TROS #s like those idiots are here and they are talking and gloating to them when it's like who are you talking to, etc??

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017
Sony really needs to find better IP to reboot. After MiB International and Charlie's Angels, they can't seem to reboot right.
They will have to wait till the MCU contract is up before they can reboot Spidey again for Maximum Carnage
A new Zorro movie that's basically a remake of Mask of Zorro but with Benderas in the Hopkins role and Ana De Armas in the Benderas role.
Wasn't there a Zorro x Django film in production?

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

The worst thing about it is when WB panicked after BvS' numbers (which like TROS made a good profit but wasn't anywhere near what they were hoping for) the end result was Justice League. Let's hope Disney doesn't do the same.

Dec 12, 2017
To be honest, I'm not even sure they have a lot of "wrong lessons" to learn from TROS's performance and reception. It's such a clear-cut case of a botched attempt at pleasing everyone that they're practically forced to move away from it entirely.
Yeah but the bigger issue is "trying to give fans what they want". If that is your north star, you will have learned nothing.

There is a balance to giving fans something great while NOT letting them drive the bus.

See: The Mandalorian

The Emperor

Oct 25, 2017
People finally realizing Star Wars movies have been usually bad? Shocking.

I'd say that out of the big 3 (LOTR, Potter) SW is easily the worst franchise.
Several star wars episodes run circles around most of Potter...TLJ being the most recent one...

LOTR is legendary. A masterpiece tbh. No gonna deny that.

Lifejumper

Oct 25, 2017
LF was trying to please the fans that were going to shit on the new movies anyways.

Also Jojo Rabbit was fucking awesome. Underrated af.

Taika da gawd.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
I think when people talk about "the brand," they mean exclusively the movies. Star Wars, as a movie brand, is bleeding pretty hard. To me, that's undeniable. Nobody invested in a trilogy expecting the final movie to gross half of the first one. It doesn't mean it's unsalvageable or it's going down in flames or whatever. But it's definitely not what Disney was hoping for back in 2012.

Ryan.

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Excited to finally see Knives Out in a bit and with those legs I already can't wait for the sequel

Meows

Oct 28, 2017
What is the number we are looking at worldwide total? Around Rogue One-ish? More, less?

Certinfy

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
FUCKKKKKK wanted this piece of shit movie to do under $1B. Oh well at least I can still laugh at those idiots who thought it would do better than TLJ and Frozen 2.

kitzkozan

Oct 25, 2017
Frozen 2 is the highest grossing animated film of all time. Nice!

It's quite impressive to see this IP becoming an absolute juggernaut in Asia as I'm wondering why? What is it about Frozen that is so appealing to Japan for example? Is it because of the female leads, state of the art computer animation (some Studio Ghibli movies did gross 200M in their own market and most of them had female leads) and catchy songs? I'm also wondering why it's breaking out in Korea even if the original was quite strong there (Frozen 2 is like 10M behind the BO gross of Endgame in that market)?

FTF

Oct 28, 2017
New York
I think when people talk about "the brand," they mean exclusively the movies. Star Wars, as a movie brand, is bleeding pretty hard. To me, that's undeniable. Nobody invested in a trilogy expecting the final movie to gross half of the first one. It doesn't mean it's unsalvageable or it's going down in flames or whatever. But it's definitely not what Disney was hoping for back in 2012.

I don't fully agree with that as Disney has made $6b at the box office (plus close to $500m from blu/dvd sales) for just the movies alone, so back in 2012 they would have signed up for that in a heartbeat after only 5 years from a $4b investment (then all the other things they're making money off of it from). It was the crazy overperformance of TFA that has skewed everything differently now. TFA is more the anomaly, not TROS.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Awesome to see Uncut Gems doing so well, for such an intense and feel-bad film.

Those numbers for 1917, what was the budget for it? It seems like it's flopping which is a shame. Don't WW movies do well around the New Year?

SchrodingerC

Oct 25, 2017
Whaa?

There's a new Grudge movie, and it got released in January?

source.gif

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
I don't fully agree with that as Disney has made $6b at the box office (plus close to $500m from blu/dvd sales) for just the movies alone, so back in 2012 they would have signed up for that in a heartbeat after only 5 years from a $4b investment (then all the other things they're making money off of it from). It was the crazy overperformance of TFA that has skewed everything differently now. TFA is more the anomaly, not TROS.

$6 billion at the box office isn't $6 billion in revenue though. TFA was an anomaly but that doesn't mean a dropoff this severe from TLJ was in the cards either. The trilogy closer is now going to make less than a spin-off where the only recognizable character has 2 minutes of screentime. I also doubt Disney is happy with the brand's inability to grow in key territories like Asia.

Meows

Oct 28, 2017
The Rise of Skywalker is a disappointment, it made less than The Last Jedi and defied the trends of the two other trilogies. I don't think (most) people were expecting Abrams to release a turd though when this should been easy shit. Granted, it was a turd I was okay and am happy with, but still hardly the satisfying saga end he decided it should be (for some bizarre reason instead of just finishing this specific trilogy, it randomly had to be the cap-off of a saga). But if it makes a billion, that is still a good get even if it is a disappointment. A sign that people will still go see a Star War, especially in the US, but also a sign that the movies need to be well made and with space between them. This and Solo also proves you need a good concept to hook audiences and neither of these movies had that. Hopefully new movie finally scraps desert worlds for good and finds a new identity so other foreign audiences can watch.

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
lol you already know what the narrative is around here for TROS. Only difference is now that it's at $450m dom and $920m ww there won't be anymore omg under $500m dom and $1b ww posts. I'm just glad I enjoyed all three ST movies and can avoid all the ridiculous TLJ v TROS petty nonsense going on.
Agreed

Anustart

9 Million Scovilles
Avenger
Nov 12, 2017
Come on Frozen 2 and Star wars. Daddy needs a $50 gift card for predicting top 5 domestic.

Oct 28, 2017
FUCKKKKKK wanted this piece of shit movie to do under $1B. Oh well at least I can still laugh at those idiots who thought it would do better than TLJ and Frozen 2.
You mean before or after release? Because a lot of people expected this movie to outperform TLJ with JJ returning and this being marketed as the final chapter in the Skywalker Saga. And the fact that, historically, the third movie in SW trilogies do better than the second movie.

grang

Nov 13, 2017
Maybe a dumb question, but if 1917 made 590k this week and is up 2% from it's first week last week, how is the current total 2.2 million? Wouldn't it be closer to 1.2 million?

Only -9% for Knives out. That film has some nice legs.
I finally had time this weekend to go to the theater and I was very pleasantly surprised to see it was still showing, I thought for sure it'd be out by now. Great movie.

Anustart

9 Million Scovilles
Avenger
Nov 12, 2017
Ah ok gotcha, that won't happen/order won't change now unfortunately.

Star wars should assuredly pass lion King. Which would put my picks correct except Frozen 2 and lk swapped. I need to go see if that gets me 1st or second place.... Or any placement lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.