Status
Not open for further replies.

Arm Van Dam

self-requested ban
Banned
Mar 30, 2019
Illinois
Little Women jumping up is pretty good, Knives Out got them legs, Jumanji with the legs too

Anyways, what are the estimates for the wide opening for 1917?

OP
OP
PhoncipleBone

PhoncipleBone

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Kentucky, USA
Little Women jumping up is pretty good, Knives Out got them legs, Jumanji with the legs too

Anyways, what are the estimates for the wide opening for 1917?
Box Office Pro is saying about $27m, but the estimate keeps climbing each week. The fact that its already insanely high PTA went UP this week while still only playing in 11 theaters shows some hype for it.
Either way, it is going to easily be #1 for box office next weekend.

Box Office Pro is saying about $27m, but the estimate keeps climbing each week. The fact that its already insanely high PTA went UP this week while still only playing in 11 theaters shows some hype for it.
Either way, it is going to easily be #1 for box office next weekend.
Thankfully, it looks like Universal didn't pull a Steve Jobs this time around. They really were fortunate to get the kind of January schedule that they did, because the rest of the month is some diabolical badness.

OP
OP
PhoncipleBone

PhoncipleBone

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Kentucky, USA
Thankfully, it looks like Universal didn't pull a Steve Jobs this time around. They really were fortunate to get the kind of January schedule that they did, because the rest of the month is some diabolical badness.
Feels like it has some great momentum going. Getting into awards season, been a long time since we had a war epic, respected director and cinematographer, unique marketing hook to sell it as a "oner" as well. Definitely one that is being sold as needing to see on the biggest screen possible.

plagiarize

It's not a loop. It's a spiral.
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
Just back from seeing The Grudge and its fine. No idea how it provoked any kind of strong reaction one way or another. Nothing original, nothing too shocking about the ending either. It's nothing as terrible as say The Bye Bye Man. Heck I'd say it was better than the US sequels to the US remake, which is a low bar, but Grudge 2 got a theatrical release and didn't get an F.

I love mother! and Wolf Creek (both also F grade movies), but with those I can see why they got that grade. With this I have no idea. It's far too whatever.

I'm not surprised it's doing okay. The trailer was great. I'd be shocked if word of mouth is as bad as an F grade would have you think. Perhaps a statistical anomaly here?

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017
Who will be the brave soul that makes the ROTS vs Mass Effect 3 vs TDKR thread, I wonder

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Edit: I don't need this today.

Even if you think a movie is "bad" I don't see the need to mock the idea of defending a movie you enjoy. That's all.

Last edited:

admataY

Oct 25, 2017
Speaking of Golden globes...
Is knives out a better comedy/musical then famed comedy/musical The Martian ?

Deleted member 42055

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 12, 2018
It's the messiest AAA film in a good long while, even more say than BvS, but there was just enough that worked for me.

I don't even hate ME3

Perfect example, me and ME3 I adored it but would never defend some of its MAJOR failings. Mordin's fate alone was an all time moment for me, rare a game has made me really feel something

DecoReturns

Oct 27, 2017
I just saw Parasite.

Fantastic film. Since it's technically a 2019, it's my favorite film from that year. Overtaking The Irishman.

Jiggy

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
wherever
Only the memes make Spider-Man 3 worthwhile

Oh and ClamBuster

People who like a film by a filmmaker will also probably like the next film by the same filmmaker especially if it features similar storytelling sensibilities. I'm not sure why you find this concept so confusing. It doesn't matter if one has space wizards. The people who like Inception and The Dark Knight are probably 1:1 despite the fact that one of them has a guy dressing up as a bat fighting a clown.

(provided there isn't a large drop in quality of course)

Oct 29, 2017
Australia
BOW BEFORE YOUR QUEEN!

btlcKeP.jpg

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
While I'm super-happy for Frozen 2's success, I'm still very amused that nobody considers the all-animated Lion King to be the highest grossing animated movie and people keep reporting that Frozen 2 now is.

It'll need another $300 million or so to surpass Lion King. It's weird how just because it doesn't look like a traditional animated film, sites - including boxofficereport.com - don't count it as one when 99.9% of it as animated as Frozen is.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Also, I enjoyed TDKR even if it's cheeseball. Though my opinion on the Nolan trilogy has cooled over the years since it leans really hard into the authoritarian, borderline fascist aspect of the Batman mythos. (I mean, more than the average superhero movie, I guess.)

less

Oct 25, 2017
I love how Frozen 2 is doing so well. Wonderful film. <3

Knives Out keeps on killing it. And Parasite keeps on chugging along more than I expected. $25 million might not be impossible..

Status
Not open for further replies.