• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Odesu

Oct 26, 2017
OH MY GOD. Box Office Threads without insufferable titles. This board is already everyone I could have ever hoped for.

Im still really surprised about the terrible performance of Blade Runner. Here in Berlin it runs great, especially in IMAX. There's still 4 showings a day and I had no luck so far to get good seats because they get reserved so fast.

Also really, really interested in how Jigsaw is going to do. Saw is my biggest guilty pleasure and I'm pretty excited about these terrible movies being back. Hope they're doing well enough for a few more sequels.

kitzkozan

Oct 25, 2017
It´s early predictions , it should be higher the colser it get´s to the release.

JL will gross more than 110M unless the reviews are atrocious. I think the early forecast for BvS was 120-140 and it did more than that with bad reviews lol. I could easily see 150M for JL, it's really a crapshoot because the DC fanbase isn't super confident in the upcoming materials so they adopt a wait and see approach.

Spoder

Oct 24, 2017
Yay to the new era of box office threads.

I hope for Ragnarok's success. I really like its humours and I hope Taika will make more superheroes movies :D.

kitzkozan

Oct 25, 2017
Yay to the new era of box office threads.

I hope for Ragnarok's success. I really like its humours and I hope Taika will make more superheroes movies :D.
I think he's willing to do a Black Widow movie actually lol. Scarlett didn't have a good year bo wise, but it's been the case for numerous people. I'm sure a Black Widow movie with Taika at the helm could perform well.

Spoder

Oct 24, 2017
I think he's willing to do a Black Widow movie actually lol. Scarlett didn't have a good year bo wise, but it's been the case for numerous people. I'm sure a Black Widow movie with Taika at the helm could perform well.

DO IT MARVEL!!!

I've been waiting for Black Widow movie since forever, Marvel is leaving money on the table for failing to make more women superheroes movies.

A Black Widow movie with Taika directing... I can't really imagine how glorious it's going to be. The women in Ragnarok simultaneously both kick ass and funny.

broncobuster

Oct 26, 2017
JL will gross more than 110M unless the reviews are atrocious. I think the early forecast for BvS was 120-140 and it did more than that with bad reviews lol. I could easily see 150M for JL, it's really a crapshoot because the DC fanbase isn't super confident in the upcoming materials so they adopt a wait and see approach.

Regardless of reviews I imagine it'll top $110M easy. I do think it'll fall short of displacing Hunter Games again. It'd need another BvS sized opening, except it's November, and imo there's less excitement overall.

And ultimately Opening Weekend isn't as interesting as the drops week to week. Doubtful it'll hit the same stride as Wonder Woman, but if it happens to catch favor among audiences, it can do healthy business before Star Wars 8 breaks the charts.

OP
OP
kswiston

kswiston

Oct 24, 2017
THOR: RAGNAROK / JUSTICE LEAGUE OPENING WEEKEND BOX OFFICE PREDICTION GAME

Before our community transplant, we ran some prediction games that were pretty fun for box office regulars and lurkers. Biggest-Geek-Ever (currently floating in the discord clouds) and I are going to run a similar prediction game for Thor Ragnarok and Justice League.

PRIZES
Winners will receive game and digital movie prizes. We are still coming up with the prize pool, so those will be announced later. Expect a number of PC games (We have some conveniently timed Steam sales!), maybe some credit for the console digital stores, and digital movie vouchers. Don't expect Wolfenstein 2, but we'll try to make sure that the game prizes are good games that not everyone on earth owns from $1 bundles.

RULES
The rules are simple. Post your (domestic-only) Opening Weekend predictions for BOTH Thor: Ragnarok and Justice League. Make your prediction to the nearest $100k.

EXAMPLE BALLOT:
Thor Ragnarok: $300.0M
Justice League: $299.9M​

The order of prize winners will be determined by who has the closest COMBINED total. In the event of ties, the tie breaker will be the person who had the closest prediction on one of their films. For instance, someone who was $1M off of Thor's opening, but $19M off of Justice League's opening, will rank above someone who was $10M off of each. Because we expect several prizes, winners will get their choice of prize in their order of their ranking. If people pass on free stuff, we will continue down the list until it is all gone.

DEADLINE
The deadline for this contest is Sunday, 12:00AM EST (UTC-5). About 48 hours from now

Post your predictions in this thread. I will link an aggregate prediction list in the next thread.

Good Luck!

Last edited:

Cvie

Oct 25, 2017
Thor Ragnarok: $129.0M
Justice League: $137.0M

MOD ABUSE: Format like the sample ballot! :P

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
What the hell. I have no idea what I'm doing:

Thor Ragnarok: $96.6M
Justice League: $134.2M

Spent a whole ten minutes on my research at Box Office Mojo. Then searched for general predictions and saw mine aren't anywhere near what sites are suggesting. Oh well!

Not

Oct 25, 2017
US
Is Kswiston taking these over or is it going back to Xaoslug when/if they get here?

Oh hot damn!
Thor Ragnarok: $104.7M
Justice League: $97.0M
For a chance at an actual prize, you better believe I'll pretend to know much more than I do about something. Come onnnn underperforming blockbuster trend

Cass_Se

Oct 25, 2017
Thor Ragnarok 115M
Justice League 145M

I think Justice League looks garbage but won't it get some boost from Wonder Woman? Not enough to make it reach BvS numbers, but the sub-140 opening, Suicide Squad-level, sounds really bad for a film this caliber.

OP
OP
kswiston

kswiston

Oct 24, 2017
Is Kswiston taking these over or is it going back to Xaoslug when/if they get here?/QUOTE]

I think that xaos decided to stay.

Anyhow, I am not going to be quite as consistent, but I have 2-3 people who are willing to get the thread up on the Sundays where I am busy. And since I can edit anyone's posts here, I can always go back and make things look consistent week to week if need be.

Apologies in advance if you get an occasional Bronson title though.

Sgt. Demblant

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
France
All right, all my predictions have been super wrong this year, but this is a new era. Let's go.

Thor Ragnarok: $118.7M
Justice League: $135.2M

I also predict that if JL gets below 50 on RT, regardless of their openings, Thor will outgross it in the end.

Aerogamer

Oct 25, 2017
Hello y'all, hoping to join this community, always browsed this thread at the old place, and now's the best time to jump in I guess. Here goes.

Thor Ragnarok: $114.5 m
Justice League: $123.4 m

vhoanox

Oct 25, 2017
Vietnam
I think Thor will perform similar to Spider
If JL is rotten, both will end with close numbers.

Thor The notDark World $105.m
Justice League $135m

Oct 26, 2017
Netherlands
Thinking word of mouth will do a lot for Ragnarok.

Thor: Ragnarok - $130m
Justice League - $140m

JL is a wildcard though IMO. I think positive or negative WoM could make a $15m difference in either direction.

admataY

Oct 25, 2017
ok lets do this

Thor: Electric Light Orcastra - 117m $
League of Extraordinary justice seeking gentlemen- 143m $$

The Shepherd

Oct 25, 2017
Thor: $123.4m
Justice League: $141.4m

Honestly not sure how Justice League will do. I don't think it'll be close to BvS but I'm not sure how much lower the opening will be.

enigmatic_alex44

GAGA IS A FLOP
Oct 25, 2017
You tried it.
Justice League: $137 million
Thor 3: $110.5 million

LOL @ people thinking Thor 3 is going to beat JL at the Box Office OW. It's okay because it wins @ being a truly quality film and as Blade Runner 2049 showed us recently, isn't that what really matters?

Status
Not open for further replies.