• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Compbros

Oct 30, 2017
Remember when there was talk of comic book movie fatigue?

Comic book movies are just action films, mostly, with pre-established characters. A couple movies will flop here and there but I doubt they ever see noticable decline across the board. I think Star Wars fatigue arguments hold WAY more water.

HeySeuss

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Even if comic book fatigue is real, we couldn't judge if it is or isn't real by this film. This one has cultural significance which is going to make it the exception to the comic book movie rules

ViewtifulJC

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Black Panther has people who dont give a single fuck about Winter Soldier and Vision and purple man. I got old black people at my office, who only see Denzel and Hidden Figures in cinemas, coming out opening night for BP. And they cant wait to see it again and tell everybody about it, too.

Benji

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just remember who called BP > IW domestic gross.

Me.

That's still probably not going to happen though

Even if comic book fatigue is real, we couldn't judge if it is or isn't real by this film. This one has cultural significance which is going to make it the exception to the comic book movie rules

We can judge it isn't real by the entirety of Marvel Phase 3 which is its highest grossing phase with every film up substantially from its predecessor.

It may become a thing at some point but there is no comic book movie fatigue as of now

ViewtifulJC

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Infinity War gone be Age of Ultron 2.0. But with even more big name competition in the form of Deadpool 2, Star Wars, Jurassic Park, Incredibles 2, etc.

UNLESS Marvel pulls a DC where the next Infinity War trailer is 90% Wakanda and 10% purple Josh Brolin, like when the JL trailers were Wonder Woman featuring those other dudes

Benji

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Infinity War gone be Age of Ultron 2.0. But with even more big name competition in the form of Deadpool 2, Star Wars, Jurassic Park, Incredibles 2, etc.

I'm expecting Infinity War to beat the original Avengers box office.

It's literally the most viewed trailer of all time. And you have Black Panther in it, Spidey in it, and the Guardians.

Oct 26, 2017
Nashville
Star Wars and Jurassic Park(because it won't have the novelty of nostalgia however it will still do very well) will dissapointment box office wise in my opinion. Infinity War will be big.

Also it's a movie with
Iron Man
Spider Man
Captain America
Guardians of the Galaxy
Thor
Black Panther
Hulk

As well as a lot of other heroes.

iareharSon

Oct 30, 2017
I saw it on Friday at like 2PM, and it was crowded - but at a theater with reserved seating so you couldn't quite judge the chaos of a typical big block buster. I took my dad yesterday at 4:30, and that shit was sold out. It had a line wrapped around the theater, and the line was like that again when I was exiting the showing.

Sibersk Esto

Changed the hierarchy of thread titles
Oct 25, 2017
Black Panther will likely have better legs than IW.

To say nothing of the difference in discourse between both films.

ViewtifulJC

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm expecting Infinity War to beat the original Avengers box office.

It's literally the most viewed trailer of all time. And you have Black Panther in it, Spidey in it, and the Guardians.

Age of Ultron had the record for most viewed trailer in 24 hours. Civil War had all the Avengers, plus Black Panther, and Spider-Man.

Black Panther will outgross both domestically. Easily.

OP
OP
kswiston

kswiston

Oct 24, 2017

UNLESS Marvel pulls a DC where the next Infinity War trailer is 90% Wakanda and 10% purple Josh Brolin, like when the JL trailers were Wonder Woman featuring those other dudes

That did nothing for DC.

But Marvel has been on a streak of well reviewed, high grossing films since Civil War, and Infinity War actually does something new in uniting the Guardians with everyone else, so I don't see how it is Ultron 2.0

Not that $1.4B is a bad spot to be in.

Benji

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Though I guess its possible when I think about it more. Panther is probably gonna hit $500 million, and while I expect Infinity War to outgross A1, that's mostly because international take will be bigger than the original Avengers. I don't think Infinity War will top the original Avengers domestic and hit somewhere between $550 - $600.

So yeah, actually the two could end up reasonably close to one another.

Sibersk Esto

Changed the hierarchy of thread titles
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, if Marvel Studios isn't careful, there's a real chance they get beaten by Marvel Studios at the box office.

T'Chakku

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto

They dont need to do that though. The Avengers and Guardians are actually well-liked by movie audiences.

Benji

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A gross for IW less than Ultron is essentially off the table at this point, unless the movie is shockingly lower quality than expected. Which I suppose there is a chance of, but Ultron got pretty mixed reception anyways. So unless IW is outright bad, I don't see how it doesn't gross more.

OP
OP
kswiston

kswiston

Oct 24, 2017
I can see Black Panther making more domestically if it manages to blow past $500M. I have been on the IW > $500M domestic train for awhile, but I am not sure how far past that mark it will end up. BP might ride the cultural phenomenon it's tapping to greater heights.

Worldwide won't be close. BP is doing great for a Solo Marvel film overseas, but nowhere near Avengers money.

Certinfy

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Age of Ultron had the record for most viewed trailer in 24 hours. Civil War had all the Avengers, plus Black Panther, and Spider-Man.

Age of Ultron was hardly an event, just a middle of the path movie.

Civil War was a Captain America movie, people can call it an Avengers movie all they want but the fact is the name was Captain America, not Avengers.

Infinity War will do insane numbers worldwide. 1b internationally and domestically will beat Black Panther for sure, maybe even the first Avengers.

Oct 31, 2017

Are we allowed to do bets here? I didn't see anything saying we can't in the ToS. If we are, I will gladly do a friendly $20 paypal bet with you that IW out grosses Black Panther domestically. And I say this as someone who will watch Black Panther at least 6 times in the theater.

HeySeuss

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ohio

We can judge it isn't real by the entirety of Marvel Phase 3 which is its highest grossing phase with every film up substantially from its predecessor.

It may become a thing at some point but there is no comic book movie fatigue as of now
To be clear I don't think comic book fatigue is real either. Was just pointing out that BP would not be the movie to look at to decide one way or the other.

Benji

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I can see Black Panther making more domestically if it manages to blow past $500M. I have been on the IW > $500M domestic train for awhile, but I am not sure how far past that mark it will end up. BP might ride the cultural phenomenon it's tapping to greater heights.

Worldwide won't be close. BP is doing great for a Solo Marvel film overseas, but nowhere near Avengers money.

Yep I agree with this. Panther has a possibility of outgrossing IW domestically if it has solid legs and IW comes in the lower end of where I'm thinking it will domestic. Either way it won't be "easily"

WW there is no chance. Ultron did almost a billion in just international take and I fully expect IW to do more internationally than Ultron.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017

I really don't think JW2 will be anywhere close to the first movie's box office. Granted, I still don't understand how the first one did so well to begin with, so what do I know. But the JW2 trailer is awful that every time I see it, I just think, there's no way people are going to fall for this lame shit are they?

I think Deadpool 2 will probably have a bigger impact on Solo than Infinity War.

T'Chakku

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
If it comes in under 200, I vow to never again watch a Marvel movie.

I reserve the right to revoke this vow anytime I wish.

Helot_Azure

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I'm predicting 200m+ opening weekend. I went to the IMAX to see it last night, and people were fighting over reserved seats. Left the theater and there was lines waiting for the next showing.

Also helps there hasn't been anything to really watch in theaters since Star Wars and Jumanji.

Benji

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I'm also on the train where JW2 doesn't have the Box office performance of the original. As of now I'm just not seeing near the social media reactions for it as I did the first. I think its still gonna be big mind you just not JW1 big.

But I could be totally wrong on that too of course. Deadpool 2 is probably going to be pretty huge though, tons of social media presence on that one.

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Remember when there was talk of comic book movie fatigue?
Yeah, it was always silly, particularly as that narrative tended to be strongest in years in which CBMs dominated the box office.
I do think it's healthy for superhero comic book movies that we've seen them branch out a bit more (Logan, New Mutants, GOTG, Thor Ragnarok, etc...).

Sir Tsunami

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think BP will have a higher domestic gross than I WAS, but it'll come much closer to it than anyone had expected. 525 vs 560

OP
OP
kswiston

kswiston

Oct 24, 2017
I really don't think JW2 will be anywhere close to the first movie's box office. Granted, I still don't understand how the first one did so well to begin with, so what do I know. But the JW2 trailer is awful that every time I see it, I just think, there's no way people are going to fall for this lame shit are they?

I think Deadpool 2 will probably have a bigger impact on Solo than Infinity War.

Deadpool is the only film that could have an impact. The rest are too far away to matter much.

Heshinsi

Oct 25, 2017
Don't teeth usually survive fire pretty well?

Teeth are usually what's used to identify people who've burned to death.

Teeth don't usually burn which is why in really bad accidents where someone is burned alive they are often only able to be identified by their dental records.

I thought Harvey survived an explosion and not just a fire, or am I mistake? His gums are also nice and perfectly pink. Wouldn't they be damaged?

Status
Not open for further replies.