• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Rvaan

Oct 25, 2017
Really appealed to Chinese audiences and had xmas holiday legs.

OT: I think it'll be really close but I want on the $1b hype train. Hoping OS can get the biggest increase.

$280m DOM
$250m CHINA
$470m OS-China
I'll add you on the next pass.
If anyone else wants on @ me.

cjelly

Oct 27, 2017
I have no idea why kids didn't want to see Missing Link...
19c1567b-a806-4cd9-b2rk11.jpeg

Deleted member 42055

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 12, 2018
I hate saying this but I'm glad HellBoy bombed. Sometimes shit films deserve to do shitty. Absolutely none of the warmth and charm of the first two, edgelord poorly rendered cgi gorefest

Sweeney Swift

User Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
#IStandWithTaylor
I hate saying this but I'm glad HellBoy bombed. Sometimes shit films deserve to do shitty. Absolutely none of the warmth and charm of the first two, edgelord poorly rendered cgi gorefest

Don't hate saying it. It's good when poor films have consequences for being made

It took Neil Marshall 9 years to get another feature film after his last bomb. If this is the best he can do creatively or in execution when he comes back and immediately makes another bomb, maybe this next break should be longer

overcast

Oct 25, 2017
Amazing Grace is another solid documentary hit for NEON, they haven't had as much luck with their fiction releases so far.

Speaking of which, RIP The Beach Bum. That 87% drop.

High Life expanded a bit softer than I would have liked to see, I guess R-pats and a fuckbox won't lend it breakout status. Still looks like a lock for career best for the amazing Claire Denis.

Man. Missing Link. 😭

Hell(re)boot(y) did less in its first weekend than Hellboy II did on its first Friday. Yikes.

Oh hey, Mary Magdalene finally released.

as the box office heats up, we have an exciting race on our hands
Indie films with singing and pale ladies:
Code:
    Her Smell        PTA      Teen Spirit      PTA
------------------------------------------------------
OW  $39,058  (3)    $13,019   $44,361  (4)    $11,090
Love your posts btw.
Good lord Her Smell sunk without a trace.
It's not playing anywhere near me.

squeakywheel

Oct 29, 2017
I can't believe how little hype Shazam is getting. Avengers will take over in 9 days so hopefully it makes a bit more money until then before all non-Endgame movies throw in the towel for the next 3 weeks.

Miles X

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I see Grace Randolph can't do basic math. Claiming it's an insult for Shazam to be compared to Antman and that it'll surpass its numbers ($180m DOM, $520m global) absolutely deluded DC fangirl.

Kaban

Oct 25, 2017
Variety estimates the TV ad spend for it to $24.93M. But I don't think any amount of ads will overcome the inherent suck of the United States of America and what they do to animation.

It's still the lowest opening for any Laika film (Kubo was the next lowest, and that made 12M on opening weekend). I would still partially put it on marketing - and I don't think the trailers themselves did it any favours.

Bronx-Man

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
When it comes to making a critically acclaimed film with a budget over $100 mil & Del Toro directing or making an awful film with a no-name director that bombs at the box office, studios seem to love picking the 2nd option.

Oct 27, 2017
What's a shame is that the studios will see Hellboy bombing as indicative of the lack of interest in the property instead of the lack of interest in a shitty looking reboot of a property that had gained traction with the second film.

Miles X

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
When it comes to making a critically acclaimed film with a budget over $100 mil & Del Toro directing or making an awful film with a no-name director that bombs at the box office, studios seem to love picking the 2nd option.

Del Toro wanted $150m. No way it would have made a profit. Either way they should have left Hellboy alone.

Sweeney Swift

User Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
#IStandWithTaylor

Which is weird because Del Toro outright said both his Hellboys (albeit barely) made profit

Even if the studio isn't being optimistic/lying and this one really did cost only $50mil, it's still not making a profit total and it's not even making $50mil domestic total in the 1.1 weeks before Endgame kneecaps everything. Whether people want to admit the loss is because of the loss of Del Toro+Perlman or not, the fact is it both got off to a worse start and will have a worse finish than either of their Hellboys

Bronx-Man

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It was gonna bomb either way. Might as well have gone with the version that could've been a cult classic & cleaned up on the home market.

Lord Vatek

Avenger
Jan 18, 2018
What is up with Laika? I feel like they switch between genuine greatness and mediocrity at the drop of a hat.

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
yJWjoBP.jpg

It's not a massive jump up this week.

But next week?

Oh boy.

Something big next week, the most anticipated Disney Film of the month.

I am of course talking about.

b_penguins_header_dtcipd-17774_6c15fe04.jpeg

It's DisneyNature Penguins yoh! They'll have that 10 Billion in no time! Surely this will be the Endgame to Disney's box office.

Avengers? What's that?

And why aren't I on the 1bn OW Avenger's Endgame hype train yet? I was on board last week.

Sesha

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Great title, lol.

Between both Hellboy and Alita I've lost hope of movie adaptions of my favorite franchises being good or doing well.

Donald Draper

Banned
Feb 2, 2019
I wish Neil Marshall would go back to straight horror.

The Descent is one of my favorite horror films. So well done.

His output since then has been so disappointing on the movie side.

scitek

Oct 27, 2017
I noticed Alita crossed the $400m mark worldwide. What did it have to make to get a sequel? $500m?

Elandyll

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
So Captain Marvel will not match Aquaman's global BO? How the hell did that shit movie make over a billion dollars?
You're a bit harsh with Aquaman I think.
Granted it only did over a bily thanks to being an underwater Musou to Chinese audiences, and as always the ravenous DC fanbase in the US, but yeesh.