• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
"No good movie is too long, and no bad movie is short enough."
-Roger Ebert

a_312x312.jpg

NealMcCauley

Oct 27, 2017
Oh so now the big Regal is adding John Wick IMAX times tonight. I'll stick with my 4dx ticket because I promised a coworker I'd tell her about the experience.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
With Endgame being as long as it is, I can't imagine seeing it more than once in the theater. I was pretty forgiving of its length since it needed to wrap up multiple character arcs and it moved at a pretty brisk pace.

TRUTH: Perfect movie length is 90min - 2 hours.
Under 90 is secretly the best

Texas Chainsaw Massacre, The Evil Dead, Evil Dead 2, Stand By Me, Attack The Block, Videodrome, Re-Animator, What We Do In The Shadows, The Iron Giant

PhoncipleBone

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Kentucky, USA
I expect Thursday drop to be subdued and Endgame to pick up against IW this weekend. At this period of time IW was facing Deadpool 2. I expect JW3 to do over $55m, but it isn't direct competition like DP2 was.
And Endgame has no direct competition during the week yet keeps falling behind. It might be flat with IW this weekend at best, but so far every single day is pointing to it coming under.

ZattMurdock

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Earth 616
And Endgame has no direct competition during the week yet keeps falling behind. It might be flat with IW this weekend at best, but so far every single day is pointing to it coming under.
It's a 3 hours film. You are looking to the film without taking in consideration how good these drops are compared to last Thursday, for example.

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/showdowns/chart/?view=daily&id=avengersvstarwars.htm

A film with that much of demand in the first weekend was bound for big drops in the first three weeks. If you look at how the drops are going, you will see that the film is indeed stabilizing. It might not go for my pipe dream of beating TFA domestic, but that's a holiday film with appeal to a more older demographic than Marvel films at this period of time.

It's okay, because this is bound to top Avatar as the biggest film of all time at the box office, regardless if it beats by an inch.

PhoncipleBone

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Kentucky, USA
It's a 3 hours film. You are looking to the film without taking in consideration how good these drops are compared to last Thursday, for example.

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/showdowns/chart/?view=daily&id=avengersvstarwars.htm

A film with that much of demand in the first weekend was bound for big drops in the first three weeks. If you look at how the drops are going, you will see that the film is indeed stabilizing. It might not go for my pipe dream of beating TFA domestic, but that's a holiday film with appeal to a more older demographic than Marvel films at this period of time.

It's okay, because this is bound to top Avatar as the biggest film of all time at the box office, regardless if it beats by an inch.
You mean those good Thursday holds that are not as strong as IW Thursday holds? That is all I ask since you are implying that somehow this is going to increase instead of continuing to drop.

Deleted member 5666

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
With a possible re-release? Yes. Without it? Nope.
Re-releases of recent films don't result in any notable box office increases anymore. It would be rounding error type of numbers. People do not care to go see recent movies again in theaters like that anymore. Especially post-3D boom.

There is no oscar push that will magically result in 80 mil boxoffice numbers domestic

ZattMurdock

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Earth 616
So a rerelease is going to generate 200-300M WW and probably more than 80M domestic?
I think the difference domestic will end to be a little tighter. I still have Endgame pegged to end around $860m+.

That depends on several factors, and I will let them play out for us now. Over Avatar is definitely happening, the rest let's wait and see.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I think the difference domestic will end to be a little tighter. I still have Endgame pegged to end around $860m+.

That depends on several factors, and I will let them play out for us now. Over Avatar is definitely happening, the rest let's wait and see.
So a rerelease is going to hit 70mill+ domestic? And hundreds of millions to hit 3B?

Deleted member 5666

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Once again, that depends on what kind of re-release they do... Or not. We don't even know if they would be game for that. Let's see how it plays out. Historically, it happened with Titanic before. Unlikely? Sure. Impossible? Nope.
2019 is completely different than in 1997. There isn't a domestic market for recent film re-releases anymore to any sort of notable extent.

EN1GMA

Avenger
Nov 7, 2017
3B train derailed
1B DOM train derailed
Above TFA DOM train derailed
Above Avatar WW train barely staying on the tracks

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Once again, that depends on what kind of re-release they do... Or not. We don't even know if they would be game for that. Let's see how it plays out. Historically, it happened with Titanic before. Unlikely? Sure. Impossible? Nope.
Titanic releasing while the 3D market was hot is not even close to being the same context as a rerelease of Endgame. You really think there's a logical way it can rerelease and make up around 250-300M WW? What is going to put up those numbers? "I don't know" is not a good answer if you're claiming 936M/3B is still in the cards.

The Emperor

Oct 25, 2017
3B train derailed
1B DOM train derailed
Above TFA DOM train derailed
Above Avatar WW train barely staying on the tracks
The film did amazingly beyond all expectations train already arrived

Think the opening took a lot of people by storm. Something had to give in terms of legs

TFA DOM record looks to be one to stand for a thousand generations

Deleted member 5666

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Titanic releasing while the 3D market was hot is not even close to being the same context as a rerelease of Endgame. You really think there's a logical way it can rerelease and make up around 250-300M WW? What is going to put up those numbers? "I don't know" is not a good answer if you're claiming 936M/3B is still in the cards.
Titanic 3D re-release was also nearly 15 years later to boot.

ZattMurdock

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Earth 616
Even getting to 800M domestic is great. Zatt you should be happy about that atleast
Happy? I'm over the moon with these numbers. The Avengers became the single franchise to actually grow after hitting $2B WW and it's bound to top the highest grossing film of all time. That's not an easy feat at all.

The film did amazingly beyond all expectations train already arrived

Think the opening took a lot of people by storm. Something had to give in terms of legs

TFA DOM record looks to be one to stand for a thousand generations
Yeah I don't see nothing touching that record for at least the next 5 years. Then maybe inflation might make that possible.

Cpt-GargameL

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

TFA holiday is offset by Endgames massive opening. I wouldn't keep using that to defend Endgames drops when TFA had crazy legs on days/weeks that weren't holidays.

ZattMurdock

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Earth 616
TFA holiday is offset by Endgames massive opening. I wouldn't keep using that to defend Endgames drops when TFA had crazy legs on days/weeks that weren't holidays.

I disagree with that notion. TFA had a lot of things going for it: nostalgia of the OG trilogy being the most important of them. I never said that TFA run was nothing short of absolutely incredible, both dom and os.

With that said, look at the numbers and how close they are now to Endgame compared with last weekdays numbers.

I don't think Endgame will beat TFA at all, but I wouldn't be surprised in the slightest if Endgame sometime from now starts beating TFA dailies. It's a lot closer now than it was last week.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
Marvel/Disney isn't going to do a standalone Endgame re-release. The next time you see in Endgame in theaters it'll be as part of a marathon before the next Avengers film.

PhoncipleBone

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Kentucky, USA
I disagree with that notion. TFA had a lot of things going for it: nostalgia of the OG trilogy being the most important of them. I never said that TFA run was nothing short of absolutely incredible, both dom and os.

With that said, look at the numbers and how close they are now to Endgame compared with last weekdays numbers.

I don't think Endgame will beat TFA at all, but I wouldn't be surprised in the slightest if Endgame sometime from now starts beating TFA dailies. It's a lot closer now than it was last week.
And in the end those tiny daily victories will mean nothing because it will still lose in overall domestic gross. So why does it matter?

Feb 1, 2018
Texas
They're saying on the box office subreddit that Endgame isn't even going to hit 2.7b.

If that's true, yikes. Avatar could possibly have a 100m lead over it, once it's all said and done.

ZattMurdock

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Earth 616
And in the end those tiny daily victories will mean nothing because it will still lose in overall domestic gross. So why does it matter?
It's not about "victories", my point still stands. All you need to look how holiday season numbers influenced TFA dailies is to compare:

Domestic numbers:

Day 12 (Tue): TFA: $29.528m EG: $12.518m
Day 19 (Tue): TFA: $7.967m EG: $5.742m

The decline from the holiday season days to regular days is evident, and it keeps getting sharper after that.

They're saying on the box office subreddit that Endgame isn't even going to hit 2.7b.

If that's true, yikes. Avatar could possibly have a 100m lead over it, once it's all said and done.
They, whoever they are, are incredibly wrong. Use BOT for more reliable BO analysis.

Feb 1, 2018
Texas
I don't get how they're coming to that conclusion, though. Didn't kswis say that BvS legs would get it to 2.7b? Or was it 2.6b?

I get that EG's legs are getting gradually worse, but surely we're not in BvS territory, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.