Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 1, 2018
Texas
How would you all rank box office records in terms of Olympic medals?

WW total = Gold medal, etc.

Just curious on everyone's personal opinion. I guess I'm most curious which medal you'd give the domestic total, silver/bronze/etc?

ZattMurdock

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Earth 616
IW: theatrical April 28, Bluray August 14.
Endgame: theatrical April 27, Bluray August 13 (not announced yet but itll be within a week or two of that), streaming on Disney+ November 12.

It will be long gone before the Bluray let alone the streaming.
Yeah I don't know about that. This time around I will wait for the official release date. This time around I think it will take longer for them to confirm it.

jfkgoblue

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
IW: theatrical April 28, Bluray August 14.
Endgame: theatrical April 27, Bluray August 13 (not announced yet but itll be within a week or two of that), streaming on Disney+ November 12.

It will be long gone before the Bluray let alone the streaming.
To be fair, Disney kept Black Panther in theaters even after the blu ray release

Deleted member 5666

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I don't know about that. This time around I will wait for the official release date. This time around I think it will take longer for them to confirm it.
They won't wait longer because Disney launches the licensing tie-in campaign for TROS around September. They will have the Endgame home video out of the way before that.

Endgame will be on home video in August, almost no doubt.

Solo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

I mean, they could hold the DVD/Bluray release, but that would be to drive up Disney+ subscriptions, not to keep Endgame in theatres.

ZattMurdock

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Earth 616
They won't wait longer because Disney launches the licensing tie-in campaign for TROS around September. They will have the Endgame home video out of the way before that.

Endgame will be on home video in August, almost no doubt.
I mean, they could hold the DVD/Bluray release, but that would be to drive up Disney+ subscriptions, not to keep Endgame in theatres.
Let's see.

ZattMurdock

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Earth 616
Endgame has to be on Disney + at launch. It literally has to be there. It's just not feasible to conjecture otherwise.
I know. That doesn't preclude a later than usual blu-ray release date. And am I remembering correctly or only Captain Marvel was revealed as day one for Disney Plus? Let me see here:

https://screenrant.com/captain-marvel-disney-plus-launch/

Yeah I don't even think Endgame is day 1. Probably they will release it for Christmas there, just like Infinity War for Netflix this year.

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA
I know. That doesn't preclude a later than usual blu-ray release date. And am I remembering correctly or only Captain Marvel was revealed as day one for Disney Plus? Let me see here:

Yeah I don't even think Endgame is day 1. Probably they will release it for Christmas there, just like Infinity War for Netflix this year.

That's only because it was too early to announce endgame as day and date. I'd be willing to bet money it will be there day 1. Corporate synergy and all that.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017

Right now it's officially saying "after it's release" about Endgame being on the service. It'll be there. It would be dumb as shit not to have it day one.

berzeli

Oct 25, 2017
ZattMurdock can you point to any single film from the last 10 years that has had its disc/digital release pushed back in order to keep it in cinemas? Again, the thing about shilling and posts based on reality comes to mind.

ZattMurdock

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Earth 616
ZattMurdock can you point to any single film from the last 10 years that has had its disc/digital release pushed back in order to keep it in cinemas? Again, the thing about shilling and posts based on reality comes to mind.
None. The thing is, how can you push back something that hasn't a release date yet? Even Avatar was released 5 months after the release date. What I could see it happening is something like end of August digital and sometime down the line in September, Blu-ray. Again, we don't have a date for Endgame just yet.

ValiantChaos

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
None. The thing is, how can you push back something that hasn't a release date yet? Even Avatar was released 5 months after the release date. What I could see it happening is something like end of August digital and sometime down the line in September, Blu-ray. Again, we don't have a date for Endgame just yet.

What makes you so confident that Endgame is gonna beat TFA domestically?

Seeya

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
We'll agree to disagree. Dredd's action was lackluster and while i admire its attempt to cop the nitty grit of 80s action, like Robocop and Terminator, I think it failed to deliver. It felt too clean. I liked Karl Urban as Dredd. Lena Headey, who i think is criminally under rated, was good in this. But I can't, for the life of me, bring myself to watch it again. After i finished it, i was like "ok. That was that."

The Raid was more visceral, tense and entertaining. Its action was filmed much much better than Dredd.

Fair enough. I definitely prefer Dredd but I'm happy to hear that you got a lot out of The Raid. :) I enjoyed it, FWIW.

ZattMurdock

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Earth 616
Jatinder on BOT said he has a hunch that Endgame indeed beat TFA in either USA or Canada this 2nd weekend. He will be able to confirm it only by Thursday.

Cpt-GargameL

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Jatinder on BOT said he has a hunch that Endgame indeed beat TFA in either USA or Canada this 2nd weekend. He will be able to confirm it only by Thursday.

But we already got the actuals so? Are you saying the actuals are not actuals and Endgame is a special case where the actuals aren't actuals and we're waiting on Actual actuals?

ZattMurdock

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Earth 616
But we already got the actuals so? Are you saying the actuals are not actuals and Endgame is a special case where the actuals aren't actuals and we're waiting on Actual actuals?

No, the Domestic box office entails both USA and Canada. Jatinder is an insider with info more precise than we ever could get our eyes on. What he is saying is that maybe one of those countries indeed had Endgame over TFA, but he needs more time to check out.

That's cool, but I don't get why domestic is that important. Wouldn't you rather be #1 worldwide? #1 domestic seems...unimportant?

Both are important. WW is the golden crown and the hardest to beat, but the domestic record is very important as well. Same for the overseas record, which will be tough for Endgame to beat. That will very likely still be Avatar's record.

Tace

Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
The Rapscallion
This is a US centric forum.
I live in the US, lol, I'm aware. It's just weird to me why some people are putting so much stock in the domestic take when the movies are released everywhere .

No, the Domestic box office entails both USA and Canada. Jatinder is an insider with info more precise than we ever could get our eyes on. What he is saying is that maybe one of those countries indeed had Endgame over TFA, but he needs more time to check out.

Both are important. WW is the golden crown and the hardest to beat, but the domestic record is very important as well. Same for the overseas record, which will be tough for Endgame to beat. That will very likely still be Avatar's record.
Ah ok. Thanks for actually explaining

Oct 25, 2017
I'm going to agree to disagree on that one. Obviously we're going to find out very soon. But the forecasts tend to not be the most accurate when it comes to summer blockbusters. Pokemon is the biggest brand in the world, it's also PG. I expect it will attract a super wide audience. I can still see it being a movie that reaches $1 B.
To be fair, Pikachu's something that should be generating huge social media interest. It's not really a JP situation with a dormant property. Pokémon is everywhere right now

SamWilson

Alt account
Banned
Mar 14, 2019
"Comes in second place" is odd phrasing for the title.

It came in 1st place this weekend.

It is now in 2nd place all time.

ContractHolder

Jack of All Streams
Oct 25, 2017
Hey so, as the only person who actually made the Endgame beats TFA domestic avatar bet (I think), I'm ready to accept defeat on that if everyone (excluding Zatt) is in agreement that it isn't happening.

I think the terms were I have an avatar of a train on fire for one month right?

shintoki

Oct 25, 2017
While Endgame is still going to pass Avatar, its going to be a lot closer than I initially thought.

Cpt-GargameL

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

I know that, I live in NA 😜 but you're saying this guy is the Master master of box office Actual actuals? And that the actuals that were released, which were NA actuals aren't actuals at all? First time I hear about this person and first time I hear that actuals aren't actually actuals. Very bizarre.

ZattMurdock

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Earth 616
I know that, I live in NA 😜 but you're saying this guy is the Master master of box office Actual actuals? And that the actuals that were released, which were NA actuals aren't actuals at all? First time I hear about this person and first time I hear that actuals aren't actually actuals. Very bizarre.

No. He is an insider. Read what I am telling you: the actuals ARE the actuals. But the actuals tell us the box office gross of both USA and Canada when it comes to the domestic box office. He has a hunch that either USA or Canada were actually above TFA during the 2nd weekend for Endgame. That is all that there is to this. This is a box office thread, talking about the numbers and trivia like this has always been part of the game.

They know that Force Awakens made more in second weekend according to official numbers because that is what was released? And they know that the weekday grosses for Endgame aren't going to be anywhere near TFA this week either?
They know that Holiday season helps films under that release window, and what Endgame is doing, even if it didn't break the 2nd weekend record, it's impressive. A film released during holiday season isn't the best to mirror a film released during box office "summer".

Adventureracing

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
I'm going to agree to disagree on that one. Obviously we're going to find out very soon. But the forecasts tend to not be the most accurate when it comes to summer blockbusters. Pokemon is the biggest brand in the world, it's also PG. I expect it will attract a super wide audience. I can still see it being a movie that reaches $1 B.

Eh forecasts this close to launch tend to be pretty decent. Also looking at how many showings it's getting I'm not feeling confident of a breakout hit. Being sandwiched between endgame and Aladdin certainly isn't helping.

Cpt-GargameL

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

No. He is an insider. Read what I am telling you: the actuals ARE the actuals. But the actuals tell us the box office gross of both USA and Canada when it comes to the domestic box office. He has a hunch that either USA or Canada were actually above TFA during the 2nd weekend for Endgame. That is all that there is to this. This is a box office thread, talking about the numbers and trivia like this has always been part of the game.

So since TFA is still #1 at second weekend, he's saying that either CA or US did better for Endgame in comparison to TFA?

Is there a way to disect NA number split between CA and US?

ZattMurdock

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Earth 616
They know that Force Awakens made more in second weekend according to official numbers because that is what was released? And they know that the weekday grosses for Endgame aren't going to be anywhere near TFA this week either?
They know that Holiday season helps films under that release window, and what Endgame is doing, even if it didn't break the 2nd weekend record, it's impressive. A film released during holiday season isn't the best to mirror a film released during box office "summer".
So since TFA is still #1 at second weekend, he's saying that either CA or US did better for Endgame in comparison to TFA?

Is there a way to disect NA number split between CA and US?
1. Yes, he says it might be the case. Needs until Thursday to make sure.
2. Only someone with access to the raw numbers could pull off that.

Cuburger

Oct 28, 2017
Endgame going into the 2nd weekend
tumblr_nocsz1f5Q31tvhfueo1_250.gif

TFA fans after Friday and Saturday numbers
tumblr_nocsz1f5Q31tvhfueo2_250.gif

TFA fans after Sunday actuals
tumblr_nocsz1f5Q31tvhfueo4_250.gif

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.