• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cass_Se

Oct 25, 2017
Probably needs to be added to the OP:
51JSXJMQSBL._SY445_.jpg

61L5ux6lOUL.jpg

I need to watch the ewok films one day

They can't be really be worse than Holiday Special, can they.

Bor Gullet

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
it's really not

it's REALLY bad when you aren't laughing at the memes. rewatched it last night and it was so much worse than I remember.

Solo might be my least liked SW film, it literally adds nothing to the franchise except for diluting Han as a character.

As a film it's not as bad as TPM or AOTC, but it's even more offensive in how generic it is.

Bor Gullet

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Solo has cool set pieces, ROTS does not

I can't remember a single set piece in detail from Solo.

In ROTS, I vividly remember the opening space battle, Obi-Wan vs Anakin, Palpatine vs Yoda, Obi-Wan vs Grievous, basically all the lightsaber duels. Like it or not, that shit is ingrained in SW culture.

Solo is just so blah and feels like a waste of time.

Sandstar

Oct 28, 2017
Counterpoint: I want to see Solo, and I'll watch it when it comes to D+ in July. ROTS is available now, and I have zero desire to see it, and probably never will.

Salty Catfish

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
ROTS benefits the same way that Rogue One does: both movies finish very strongly, which is the stuff that's more likely to stick with you over time. ROTS is nearly two and a half hours long and most of what you probably like and remember about it takes up 10% of the runtime.

It's the best prequel but there is a massive gap between it and the original/sequel trilogies in terms of quality.

PhoncipleBone

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Kentucky, USA
Since SweetNicole went through the trouble to make a thread about Rise of Skywalker, why not cross post here? Will Skywalker continue the trend of final entries of Star Wars trilogies, or will it let the past trends die and kill them if it has to?

Screen_Shot_2019-12-09_at_11.27.25_PM.png

Bor Gullet

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
ROTS benefits the same way that Rogue One does: both movies finish very strongly, which is the stuff that's more likely to stick with you over time. ROTS is nearly two and a half hours long and most of what you probably like and remember about it takes up 10% of the runtime.

It's the best prequel but there is a massive gap between it and the original/sequel trilogies in terms of quality.

Counterpoint: ROTS has Sheev in all his glory.

Deleted member 5666

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Solo is better than ROTS.

ROTS has a better "story" but Solo is far better shot, directed, edited, and acted. The fact that ROTS doesn't even have one single on location shot and the entire movie is in studio on green screen just makes the movie feel so small.

1. TLJ
2. ESB
3. ANH
4. TFA
5. ROTJ
6. Rogue One
7. Solo
8. ROTS
9. TPM
10. AOTC

Crimsonskies

Alt account
Banned
Nov 1, 2019
I need to watch the ewok films one day

They can't be really be worse than Holiday Special, can they.

They are not but they seem to lean heavily into the fairytale genre rather than scifi with the Ewoks befriending a family that have crashed on Endor.

It's themes are very simmiliar to another Lucasfilm movie Willow and very family friendly not great but not terrible either.

Starphanluke

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 15, 2017
So, I've heard rumblings from a few different people that the Cats press screenings are the same day (next Tuesday) and time as the Star Wars ones.

Who the FUCK made that decision? What are they thinking?! Unless they... don't want critics to actually see the movie?

Schlorgan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Salt Lake City, Utah
So, I've heard rumblings from a few different people that the Cats press screenings are the same day (next Tuesday) and time as the Star Wars ones.

Who the FUCK made that decision? What are they thinking?! Unless they... don't want critics to actually see the movie?
The marketing seems pretty lacking for this movie. Maybe Universal is somewhat embarrassed of it. 🤷‍♂️

ViewtifulJC

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Yeah big mistake on Disney part. I follow too many critics who are definitely going to cats first. "We've seen JJ Star Wars before. Cats is truly something human eyes have to experience on the big screen."

Temp_User

Oct 30, 2017

Probably. That negative fallout from those cat-CGI costumes got Universal all shook. Its also probably the reason why the Wonder Woman 84 trailer did not show Cheetah in all her furred glory.

NealMcCauley

Oct 27, 2017
IMO Cats has this Welcome to Marwen vibe where, as awesome as the cast and crew are, the CG implementation is so WTF the movie was DOA as soon as everyone watched the first trailer.

Problem for Universal is Cats cost significantly more so they can't just release it on sub-2,000 screens and hope everyone forgets about it.

Bor Gullet

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Solo is better than ROTS.

ROTS has a better "story" but Solo is far better shot, directed, edited, and acted. The fact that ROTS doesn't even have one single on location shot and the entire movie is in studio on green screen just makes the movie feel so small.

Solo is better made, but nothing about it actually sticks with you. It's a generic action film with the SW label slapped on.

ROTS has tons of memorable scenes, for better or worse. And while ROTS suffers from an overuse of blue screen, the scale of the movie is huge, and there is an "epic" scale.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Disney just shot themselves in the foot.
I don't know how much the rest of you know about Star Wars (I'm an expert), but honor and shame are huge parts of it. It's not like it is in Cats where you can become successful by being an asshole. If you screw someone over in Star Wars, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.
What this means is the Star Wars fanbase, after hearing about this, is not going to want to purchase TROS for any media format, nor will they purchase any of Disney's movies. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but Disney has alienated an entire market with this move.
Disney, publicly apologize and cancel TROS or you can kiss your business goodbye.

NealMcCauley

Oct 27, 2017
More BTS footage of 1917. Seems like a combo of old stuff with new.

And, only because I saw it while copying 1917's URL, here are character auditions for Dolittle.

Beren

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I like that, of all the things out there, Doolittle is RDJ's passion project.

NealMcCauley

Oct 27, 2017
I'm starting to get a kick out of theaters having to keep flops on screen for the contractual two weeks and how they can get around that. Playmobil's getting slashed to one show a day at the theaters around me. Showtimes range from 9:00am-11:30pm.

Salty Catfish

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
I'm starting to get a kick out of theaters having to keep flops on screen for the contractual two weeks and how they can get around that. Playmobil's getting slashed to one show a day at the theaters around me. Showtimes range from 9:00am-11:30pm.
Mine is still doing five a day -- as many as or more than anything else they're showing besides Frozen II. Madness. (Unless the two and half people who watched it yesterday all live in my town.)

Oct 27, 2017
Finally saw Knives Out. It was fantastic! Not my favorite of Rian Johnson's (prefer Looper and Last Jedi) but it certainly cements his talent for writing and directing.

Status
Not open for further replies.